Let's talk about Food

salsa_babe

thats what I heard lah

those foodie TV shows....the producers will go around to ask the stalll owners if they would like to be featured in their shows for a sum of money

not sure if this is true.

How times have we tried the so-called 'award winning' stalls but disappointed with the taste of the food?

yes yes...the food centre behind Chinatown Point...

alcifertoh

I would not be surprised about the pay to advertise. I personally had tried some of those "featured" stalls and well... quite sucky. Hence nowdays I prefer to go via reccomendations than those awards put up at the stores.

Btw for soupy prawn noodles, my ex colleague ever mentioned to me this stall at beach road the kuan yin temple there. Their prawn noodles that add pig organs like intestines and such and it's very nice. Personally have yet went there to try though. He also did mention that the store closes early slightly after noon time as business is damn good.

mark78

Hock Lee fish ball noodles at the hawker centre at the 4 horse Road. (near kuan yin temple)

the fishball noodles will be out of stock by let say 11am.

rofthelper

If I'm not wrong the market is 315A?

The AMK Ave 3 food market should be 452.

I usually prefer ba sheng BKT than those white pepppers soup base. ;)

=========================================
I would say presently if I wanna eat pig trotters, the best I ever came across is the outlet at ang mo kio ave 1 market, beside the AMK Swiming pool. They have good trotters.

And for soup, I would go to the one at amk ave 10 market, the one at the cross junction with AMK ave 3. Their soup not bad.

alcifertoh

Personally my preference also with those darker based soup.

Next saturday ai mai? the bar chor mee has to go in the morning or early noon de.

alcifertoh

The meat balls HUGE or not? There goes one more favourite food off your list haha.

Over the weekend brought my parents to this stir fry stall over my new place at yishun. It's located next to Blk 419A multi-storey carpark. I never catch the store name although had been there a few times. It's situated at the run down kopitiam just next to the lorry parking bay beside the multistory carpark.

My dad marvelled at their pai ku wang (without bones). He exclaimed that the sauce is very nice and it's rare to find such traditional pai ku wang nowdays. On top of that, the meat of the dish is very soft.

Try their si ji dou with cai por. One of my fav dish. They fried the chai por till it's crispy and filled with aroma.

We also had their reccomended signature dish. Braised chicken in sauce with veggie. This dish was snapped up in less than 5 mins.

On top of that, we had a steam red garoupa and some stir fried veggies. Total cost only around 80 bucks for 5 pax. Quite worth it and nice food.

Another of their signature is the curry fish head. Full of coconut milk which taste really solid. Now my Dad keep mentioning he wanna go there for father's day dinner :D

skylar

1089451.gif

alcifertoh

Speaking of Garoupa, I wanna share one experience.

Previous week, My family decided to go for seafood and my Dad reccomended this Choon Seng punggol seafood located at ajuinied just directly opposite the Gurka camp. It is situated in the canteen of a compound which was previously a school.

My Dad exclaimed that they were very popular back then in punngol and their mee goreng was solid. Their crabs and such were also tip top. He has yet been to them for quite some time and it would be a good reminenscing trip.

Upon arrival, we asked for any speciality. The lady reccomended a certain type of fried ribs which was their signature. We went ahead with that then. At the same time, we ordered steam crab, Crayfish, Mee goreng, some veggie and other stuffs which I could not recall.

When the reccomended ribs arrived, we saw it was braised and we asked if they send it to the wrong table? The waitress mentioned it's the right dish. When we tried out the signature dish, it actually taste like those meiling canned food ribs. The exact taste. There goes the first impression.

Next was the crab. Nothing much mentionable. Just that the crab meat was quite solid but I do not attribute that to the culinary skill of the chef. Just the ingredient was good. However, the crayfish was not fresh at all. The flesh was soggy and mashy.

The other dishes just passed off as average and my dad mentioned that their standard dropped alot. Well although standard dropped, what sworn us off from going back there again was their integrity doing business.

We ordered a red garoupa. When the fish arrived, my mum being a veteran fish lover immediately spotted that the fish ain't a red garoupa. We asked for the waitress who took down our order to verify the dish. The waitress then keep insisting that, yes, it is red garoupa. Even though the colour of the fish was off red totally, the waitress passed it off as normal.

We tried the fish and it tasted weird. Instead of being delicate and fresh, there's a strong fishy taste and the flesh was abit tough. We did not finish even 2/3 of the fish and leave it lying there. Next we saw the table next to us being served bright red garoupa. We asked another waiter to come forward and asked him how come our fish was of this standard. The waiter just replied, oh, they made reservations. Our fish was not red Garoupa as they run out of it. What being served to us was another type of fish which so called much "premium" than Garoupa which they changed for us without informing us.

Upon hearing this, we were furious. We question the guy how come they serve us other fish without informing and we ordered red garoupa. The guy still went, you ordered garoupa meh?

I went yeah! And when the fish was served, I questioned your waitress whom gave me a whole world of reason insisting that was garoupa. The male waiter then insist he wanted to check the ordering list. He went back to the counter and take the list and saw it was written red garoupa on it. When he was back, instead of apologising, he keep mentioning that the fish that was served to us was better than garoupa.

To hell with the better fish. I don't care even if they served us abalone. It's no longer a matter of what. We were cheated and the fish taste like crap. Then, I requested to speak to the boss. The guy just walk away. Then I called the female waitress who took our orders and crap to us over. Before I finish what I speak, she walked away too. I was on the verge of slaming the table then the boss came. Before I finish speaking, he walked away again. Really dulan.

When we were about to get up to leave, the boss send one of his other staff to refund us 10 bucks off the fish and keep claiming that was a better fish. We told him it's ok. We will not come back again.

Probably it's through such service and integrity, it was a sunday night and the place was not even 50% filled. My Dad mentioned probably the founder hand the business over to the next generation and it's being screwed up, losing their customers liao.

Do consider if you are going there for dinner and beware of the quality of the food being served.

skylar

I suddenly recall how HBH came alive in this forum...

all thanks to the <font size="+2">RECYCLED</font> CURRY! LOL...

its_fate

Simi recycled curry??

Last friday night our friends brought my hubby &amp; me to a shop at Kembangan.. This shop is famous of their Mee Sua... Really not bad leh.. We tried some of the side dishes such as steam fish, deep fried salted egg + duno what meat, steam baby sotong, "hei chor" and more.. It's good and fresh..

It's actually a ulu ulu shop behind Kembangan MRT (near Shell Kiosk) I duno the name.... Never know got such a place... However, got alot alot of ppl queueing for tables.. Heheheh...

rofthelper

Talking abt Kembangan, there's one ji chay stall along the main road, famous for the fishhead steamboat. Got alot of fish variety to choose from. This should be the one iris is talking abt.

HBH, I tot you will mention the laksa at Yishun blk 8 plus. Very filling!!!

its_fate

No leh,, we tried the baby kailan.. 1 thing funny is we wanted to order hot drink (coffee &amp; tea).. They only serve 3 in 1... Simi Sai lah.. hahahah

Wow.. so most of U know this place.. I mountain tortoise lah.. 1st time go.. hahahaha..

alcifertoh

Rolf, I just moved to Yishun not long haha hence not that pro there yet.

However I do not know if it's the block that you are refering to but I do know at Yishun interchange there, there's quite nice laksa. It's 2 small stalls (think competitors) side by side together with dessert and po pia stalls. The seats there are rather limited though with a few make shift tables placed outside.

If you wanna ask me where I like my laksa, it's at toa payoh lorong 4. The market opposite the Esso petrol station, Li Ming laksa. Their laksa is damn cheap you could get at 2 dollars per bowl. There's fishcake, cockles and prawns in the laksa and their chilli, is *ahemz* hei bee hiam free for you to take.

When I'll there, I always order "special". The boss always know what I want. Alot of cockles, and yellow noodles haha. And nearby, you can find the Uno steakhouse.

At the same market with the laksa, you can also find very cheap yong tau fu, ngor hiong and nice dessert stall. The po pia is solid too and a stall that sells bittergourd with fish. Solid.

However the market is currently under renovation. Estimated completion date is end June this year. I had been deprived of my laksa for more than 6 months ler heh.

If anyone likes veggie bee hoon, try Tiong Hoe at blk 158 ang mo kio ave 4 the market there. They have been around for 20 over years and I had their bee hoon growing up. Their fried tow kee damn solid and the char siew also. On those chu yi and shi wu days of the month, you can see people queuing up longer than usual with orders like 60 packets takeaway which I witnessed before.

mark78

FINE CUTS! #B1-44
The best kobe beef in SG.. yummy. but prepared to burn a hole in your pocket. the raw beef easily cost around 80 dollar already

rofthelper

HBH, that's the one I'm talking abt. I prefer the inner one. After having the laksa, will go to the front stall to eat ice kachang.

alcifertoh

Ah I see. Nowdays I visit the inner one too as the one outside the standard dropped.

A cheaper alternative to mark's reccomendation would be gyo-kaku. I know UE square and chijimes has outlets. Japanese grill concept which you can order various dish and DIY.

mark78

??hbh, u mean the std of the beef drop? actually i only tried a few before. black angus, fine cut, the lv 1 of cineleisure (chicago fire ball, something like that)and so far they are consider good.

what gyo kaku?

alcifertoh

Haha I meant the laksa. Black angus I have not tried for sometime since I abstain from beef. But I do rem their beef was good.

Gyo kaku is Japanese grill. Serving all parts of beef and etc. hmmm issit gyo kaku or gyo gaku. lol

mark78

for laksa, i used to patronise the one at flea market at jalan besar de. the one without much meat de. but their std drop liao so .. i stop going that far for laksa.

my focus will be on curry chicken noodles @ the hawker centre behind centre point. (fu hai) yummy.

mark78

I feel so sinful. just ate a big bowl of laksa. lots of "clams" mingfa @ suntec. i will give it a 6/10.

alcifertoh

Speaking of laksa, anyone heard/tried before the claypot laksa at bukit merah area before? I heard about it but have yet the chance of savouring it. Neither do I know where it is located at haha

koikoi

HBH, the claypot laksa used to located at depot rd... 4 yrs ago relocate to Alexandra market.
not sure still there anot... haven been there for lunch for 4 years...
happy.gif

iris, the place where you go near shell petrol stn is famous for their yao ji mee suah...
the soup is fantastic... the claypot mix is better...
happy.gif

skylar

I had tried once a DangGui Duck damn nice.. its near Serangoon Interchange there.. they call it dunno what Herbal Roasted Duck.. eat liao.. steam leh..

but dun ask me blk or where hor.. coz usually I just go only.. I'm obviously blind to all my surroundings.. whahahahahah

salsa_babe

the claypot laska is goooooddddddd......used to have it frequently when I was with HP

relocated to which part of Alexandra har?

its_fate

koikoi - yaya.. the mee sua soup good ahhhhh... *slurp slurp*... There got alot of "Xiao Qiang".. juz be careful they dun crawl up to U... hahaha...

HBH - I heard ppl said Peking Duck from Jade Restaurant (think Hotel Royal) is fantastic.. I personally never try b4..

skylar - Everyone crave for food now.. endure awhile more... Lunch Break soon
happy.gif

koikoi

the hawker centre there where they have rong guang bbq stingray there...
near AIA alexandra...

yes iris... take the indoor seat lor...
happy.gif

cleaner and brighter too...
happy.gif

skylar

salsa.. no lunch kaki ah..
go find powerful lor.. whahahahha..

HBH,
no lor.. who so mean bring go sell.. lol..

Iris..
the fact is the minute we are here its all abt food liao..zzz...

anyone tried Crab Party?

salsa_babe

very high in cholestrol...but I like CRABS!

Defu Lane??

the crab bee hoon from that zi char stall we went before....nice leh!

its_fate

It's call the Seafood Paradise right??

The butter crabs and black pepper carbs sedap ahhhh... The small "man-tou" oso bery nice...

Wah Lau!!! I drooling liao.......

salsa_babe

yes yes! the boss there very young nia..

iris...this butter one issit with coconut de?
If yes har...we dun like that. Tried that..no no no.
We like the black pepper one...and we LOVE the one wif broth...

oh...they also have the dry one wif tang hoon....aiyoh!

where's my crabby?

its_fate

That young boss drove a sports car lor.. Think he is married wz kids... wahahahaha...

No coconut leh... juz creamy creamy de.. =) We always target their crabs when we go there

koikoi - yes, it's at defu lane... One thing I know is their toilet is super nice.. It's from designer ID... wahahah... Their business do so big lor.. :p

salsa_babe

koi koi....they are at 91, Defu Lane 10, Swee Hin Building
They have another outlet @ the Singapore Flyer. Have not tried that before...and I guess the prices there shld be higher.

If you wanna go there, try to make a reservation.