Let's talk about Food

alcifertoh

Lai lai been there tried that and will be going back for more. Let's share some of the good stuffs we had based on personal experience.

rofthelper

Which food you wish to talk about? Chinese, Western or Malay food?

I just have my lunch at Simpang bedok halah KPT, the malay food there (halal) very nice. I ordered the fried beef rice, the chilli power manz!!

The roti john also not bad.

mayimayi

Geylang Lor 23, xin shan ah beng chi char!

must try: Prawns fried in salted egg yolk and pan fried bee hoon!

mark78

san zhong liang jian. Now got lunch promo for the samsui chicken. (only at selected outlets) order the samsui chicken and can order another (selected) dishes for 1 dollar.

alcifertoh

Any type of food as long as you had and would go back again for it.

Yeah heard redstar standard drop too just like yum cha.

Dim sum can also try miramar hotel orient ocean restaurant. They have buffet lunch for dim sum freshly made when ordered.

alcifertoh

Rolfhelper issit the halah kopitiam at the corner?

They serve halah thai chinese style of stir fry and I like their desserts. Their concept abit like cha cham ting.

Try their sambal mussels. Quite nice as well.

alcifertoh

Buddha Jump Over the wall at Dian Xiao Er.

Per serving arnd 30 bucks per pax. Nice portion. The stock is nice. Can be a good entree.

skylar

eh... HBH.. u start this thread ah.. then u also must start a Makan tour mah...

kaoz.. if not sooo many feedback of where to find good food liao then just gong song nia meh??

come come.. when we go!!!!!!!

mark78

Dim sum can also try miramar hotel orient ocean restaurant. They have buffet lunch for dim sum freshly made when ordered."

Tried that. the good news is its Buffet but food standard.. well. okay lah. the chicken leg is good.

mark78

chiam ah.. never swim for 1 wk liao..
i want to eat bah chor mee...
Any nice food as Plaza Sg or cathay (beside ps)?

sheezh

go aston at Cathy ba.. cheap.. and if you dun hiam too much - quite good also.. but the last time we queue for an hour..
sad.gif

Otherwise, at ps maybe manhattan??

mark78

actually aston cheap and good. but the Q is ...madness.

HBH, maybe you can bring your digi cam and take shots of those good makan place and share it here.

sheezh

yup yup.. queue is crazy.. but sometimes if got the time don't mind queuing la..

as for bak chor mee.. think there's a pretty popular one at simpang bedok.. the wait on a sunday morning is also terrible..

feel like eating buffalo wings now with all the food talk.. i like the ones in buckaroo and sunset grill..

rofthelper

HBH. yap that's the one. In fact bedok got alot of nice food manz.

Anyway I add two more food that I always eat at least twice a month.

Fei Fei Wanton mee @ Joo Jiat

Jalan Sultan Prawn Mee @ Geylang Lor 1 opposite geylang interchange.

Cambridge food center also got nice prawn mee there.

There's also a famous carrot cake stall at AMK hawker center, besides the old broadway cinema.

As for Bak Ku Teh, I either go for the beach road Liang Ji, or the balestier air-con one.

================================================
Rolfhelper issit the halah kopitiam at the corner?

They serve halah thai chinese style of stir fry and I like their desserts. Their concept abit like cha cham ting.

Try their sambal mussels. Quite nice as well.

alcifertoh

Aston that good ah? I tried the one at sembawang shopping center but I still prefer botak jone's cajun chicken.

Food court I dun have much faith leh haha. I more trust those kopitiam or hawker style one unless got good reccomendations.

If want, tomm we go eat ba chor mee at the YCK cc there? Have to go before 2pm that is. Interested?

Or Toa Payoh also got one rather nice along lorong 4 there. See which u'll prefer haha.

rofthelper

De Bao, smith street, chinatown.

============================================
RED STAR DIM SUM. top notch hk dim sum..

alcifertoh

Rolf, The balestier air con one is the one that they claimed to be the first bkt in sg? I feel their pricing abit rip off though haha and long queue. BKT wise so far for those I tried, I have yet found one stall that satisfied all for me. My favourite stall used to be at Amk ave 10 block 500+ kopitiam beside the HDB office but they had closed down more than 10 years ago due to the pork disease back then.

I would say presently if I wanna eat pig trotters, the best I ever came across is the outlet at ang mo kio ave 1 market, beside the AMK Swiming pool. They have good trotters.

And for soup, I would go to the one at amk ave 10 market, the one at the cross junction with AMK ave 3. Their soup not bad.

However the above both does not serve one of my favorite organ, which is the kidney. If you are interested, I can find out the exact block number for you.

Amk that carrot cake stall along broadway yes. Still around but standard seems to drop after the reno. If you happen to go to that market, try the char kway tiao. I like theirs alot. Their signboard used to be xing fu yuan but now i think they changed to AMK char kuay tiao.

And beside broadway there is a kopitiam. They have the stall hong kong street zhen ji stir fry. Not the stir fry which I gonna mention here. Alot of such zhen ji and watever ji popping up and the stir fry at this place sucks.

However, there is this claypot chicken rice at this kopitiam that is good. They share the same stall as the one that sell pig organ soup and half past 6 bakuteh. Their claypot solid.

Also at the same kopitiam you can find very good western food, but they do not open everyday. The portion is sizable, presentation good and cheap. The boil soup stall at this kopitiam is also nice.

Fei Fei wanton I feel is their char siew that is nice. The wanton... erm to me is just fried wanton haha.

Prawn mee I like the one opposte Diners Building at beach road there. Blanco court prawn noodles. They have the pig tail and ribs top up as well. And along the same stretch of street at the corner end, they have a very solid fish soup which always sold out before 2pm too. Their boss is a guy who tattooed his brows and wearing alot of gold chains and bracelet.

Tak Po also not bad. Although their hygeine abit questionable haha I saw their staffs putting back the chopsticks and plates onto the table after they dropped it on the floor :p

Do try out haha more coming up. Just abit too much cannot input all at one go.

sheezh

hmm.. small insert here.. anyone know good soupy prawn mee..?? other than the one HBH suggested?

there's a famous one along east coast road, opp the caltex there, but somehow I thought it's so so only.

Remember my ex use brough me to one at a food market at toa pah yoh, but anyone have any idea where is it? i'm bad at direction, so at that time I only follow.

mark78

BKT the best is rangon rd. the one where thaksin ate and one hk vip turned up late and was deny of the bkt and he kpkb over the news.

mark78

Bar Chor Mee at the coffee shop near JE national library. it some foodie award but i find it BCM really cmi. i think the foodie award is for his other noodles..

This is Mark, from his
2 days of Bar Chor Mee hunting.

salsa_babe

Mark....do u know some of those stalls paid for those so-called 'awards'?

The one @ Hong Lim not that bad...got to queue whenever we go there during the weekends.