Kuala Lumpur

K

kl

Hello all!

My FH and I are going to KL next wk for a 4D3N getaway and will be staying in the Palace of the Golden Horses.

Anything to share on this particular hotel, and eating & shopping in KL ??

cheerz,
KL

jolene

Hi,

Where you will be staying is quite a distance away from the City area. If you are in KL city, you might like to visit:

- Petronas towers
- Mid Valley Mega Mall
- Sungei Wang shopping belt
- Chinatown area

Excellent places for shopping. My personal fav is Mid Valley as its bigger than Suntec City and you can spend the whole day there and still cannot finish! I esp love the huge pet store they have on the highest level. : ) Have a nice trip!

kpo

i second jolene's recommendation. will take a day to finish shopping the whole of mid-valley!

i also recommend the shopping stretch @ bukit bintang

pegsfur

Hi KPO,

I'd also be visiting KL in Aug & wld be staying at Century Novetel. Heard it's along bukit bintang. Well, haven't been to m'sia for quite some time liao ... was wondering roughly how much $$ wld be enough for the shopping? & there's this Great sale in Aug rite?
happy.gif

kpo

hey pegsfur,

how much money will depend on how much stuffs u wanna buy and what kind of stuffs!
proud.gif

actually...shopping @ KL is not that cheap (as compared to JB or Indonesia)! for the more upmarket places i.e. Lot10 etc...the prices are more or less the same as in Singapore.

however, do check out their local departmental stores like Jaya Jusco (mid-valley), BB Plaza (Bt bintang)..they've more local stuffs and the prices are lower.

K

kl

Hello all,

thanks for the input!

btw, any good budget hotel to recommand in KL?
what about hotels like Fairlane, Century, Federal, Capital, etc ???

cheerz,
KL

calla

hi ladies,

for your info...

There is a VISA cardholder special promotion :
KL shopping and makan fiesta

Want to shop 'til you drop and eat 'til you pop? Come with us to the bright lights of Kuala Lumpur and you can afford to. We will take you to the city's biggest and best shopping malls. We have selected the best and most authentic restaurants for your meals. With accommodation in the heart of it all, close to the Jalan Alor night market, it's a makan and shopping fiesta and you are invited.

The Friday night departure means there is no need to take leave. Come with us and bring your shopping and makan kakis. And who knows, you may even make some new friends.
Visa Cardholder Special:

3D/2N Kuala Lumpur Makan & Shopping Fiesta
S$160 (adult) S$120 (child under 11 years old without extra bed).
Visa Cardholder Extra:
Lucky draw prizes: flight packages to Kota Kinabalu, Langkawi and Penang. Every RM50 you spend on your Visa Card during the trip entitles you to a lucky draw coupon (you will need to show your receipts).
Draw takes place on 31 December 2002
Package Includes:
5 meals & 2 nights in a hotel in the central shopping area.
Direct, return transport on air-conditioned coach.
Transport to shopping and eating places in air-conditioned coach.
Singapore tour coordinator and experienced KL tour guide.

Itinerary:
Click for more Details

Departure dates:
July 2002: 12, 26
August 2002: 2, 8*, 9*, 16, 23, 30
September 2002: 13, 27
*National Day surcharge: $30 (Adult) / S$20 (Child)

Terms and Conditions:
Price is based on twin/triple-sharing.
There must be a minimum of 30 passengers to confirm departure date.
Payment must be made with a Visa Card.
Other conditions apply.

To Book:
Contact Safe2Travel:
Tel : 6823 3000 (Tanjong Pagar) / 6462 6711 (Clementi)
Fax : 6226 3711 / 6462 1953
Email : [email protected]
Addess: 3 Lim Teck Kim Road, #01-04/05
Singapore Technologies Building Singapore 088934.
(Opposite South Point. Nearest MRT: Tanjong Pagar)

Please quote booking reference VMAIL.

wendy26

Hi KL

I just came back from KL & stayed at Century last weekend. The room is nice. Dun know abt the rest of the hotels.
There is one whole stretch of shopping centres along the way & near KLCC too.

You may want to look into this website at www.kl-hotels.com
It is under "Hotel Search by location" under "Golden Triangle"

Hope it helps.
happy.gif

pegsfur

Hi wendy26

Can u tell me how's Century? Cos I'll be staying there when i go in Aug. Is the hotel old? Century is near to the shopping area?
happy.gif

Kpo,

Hahaha... yeah, i guess it depends on wat i buy ... but i was also thinking of necessity items like contact lens ... wonder if it'd be cheaper there ...
happy.gif

wendy26

Hi Pegfur

Hmm.....the hotel is nice(I heard it is 4 stars). I dun think it old but the view that I have was facing a dirty old flat with rubbish on their floors everywhere...(btw I stayed in Room 823, 8th floor). From my room when I look down I can also see the swimming pool at Level 3. You can request for that room if you like.

Those smaller shopping centres are all quite near by but if you are going to KL Tower(RM15 per person, no limit of time to stay there & can go up anytime), KLCC(visit the twin towers if possible to catch a good view of KL but must get tickets(free admission) from KLCC Tower 2. The tickets start distributing from 8.30am onwards with different timing to go up. We are only allow to stay for 10mins. No visiting on Mon) or Mid Valley Megamall, you can take a cab(please take from taxi stand & nt outside the hotel as those taxi drivers will overcharge you a flat rate like RM10 whereas go by meter is definately cheaper abt RM5.

Other than that you can go walk to Chinatown or Aluo street(roadside stalls) for dinner/supper.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
smile.gif

pegsfur

Hello!

Was wondering if there are any good karaoke in KL?
happy.gif
Wouldn't want to spend the early nite sleeping in hotel ....
happy.gif

K

klbound

Hi girls,

Would like to make a weekend trip to KL for shopping, and wondering which hotel makes good HQ for shopping?
happy.gif
Budget is not a problem. Also which malls/areas are good for shopping, for both branded and no-brand stuff?

Thanks.

zxha

Hi KLbound,

How about Cititel hotel? It's right above Mid-Valley mega mall. There u can shop,eat,watch movie. It's VERY crowded on the weekends, and traffic is a problem. So it's convenient to stay 'just upstairs'.
happy.gif
Only disadvantage is that it is 10mins out of the city centre.

For nearer to city centre, you can try JW Marriott(or hotels in that area, bukit bintang). It's next to Starhill Shopping centre(more upmkt, LV, DKNY etc), Lot10, Sungei Wang. KLCC, Chinatown are about 10 mins away by taxi.

Have fun!

D

djtrd

Hi girls,

me going to KL this mth end oso...so as not to miss the sale....

Hi pegsfur,are u back from yr KL trip yet???/me be stating in Novotel century oso leh....
anybody can recommend wher to go at nite after shopping hours are closed??

pegsfur

Hi DJtrd,

Yeah, I'm back from KL already
happy.gif

The stay at Century is not too bad, as the hotel is quite new. The only thing is the Reception service. Some of the staff are friendly while some are not, esp. the chinese girl. Btw, we had free buffet breakfast :p

For the 1st day, we went shopping at the shopping ctrs near the hotel like Lot 10, Plaza Low Yat, Sungei wang ... then went to the chinatown in the evening. The major attraction is the pasar malam & the foodstalls there. But then although there r alot of stalls, the pasar malam sells 4 standard things only: imitation bags, t-shirts, vcd-dvd-audio cd & watches. If u walk, it's abt 15 mins from the hotel.

There's also the Mid Valley mega shopping mall, we took a cab & spent the day there ... a very big shopping ctr
happy.gif

At nite, we went to the open air pubs near Century. The next nite, we went to Karaoke at Low Yat Plaza & sang till our voices were coarse
proud.gif

D

djtrd

Thanks pegsfur.

aiya me n FH dun go to karaoke leh...actually we been there b4 just that we go to for the sake of the megasale....we both loves shopping...me shopping freak 1....

the pasar malam u toking abt is near the hotel isit???not the one in chinatown rite???

yawn.gif

K

klbound

Thanks for the feedback ZXHA. Think I will pass on CITITEL cos' we want to stay in centre.

Can you girls tell me how is the shopping at KLCC compared to shopping at the Bukit Bintang area? I mean like what kind of shops in each place?

Hubby wants luxury weekend, so trying to narrow down between Mandarin Oriental, which is next to KLCC, or the Regent, JWMarriot, Ritz Carlton, which is in the Bukit Bintang area.

Help!

pegsfur

DJtrd,

The pasar malam is the one at chinatown. The one near the hotel is not fixed one ... heard they move from 1 place to another.

KLbound,

KLCC has more upmarket shops like moschino, Topshop, versace. The shopping ctrs at Bt Bintang area has more variety of shops like marks & spencer & mph. 1 of the shoppin ctr (can't remember whether it's Lot 10 or Sungei Wang) resembles our Far East Plaza.
happy.gif

D

djtrd

KLBound,

It should be sungei wang that resembles our far east plaza that pegsfur mention....other than these 2 plcs ard bukit bintang, there still have a starhill plaza got CK Tang...plenty restaurants n cafes like modesto(duno spell corret anot) planet hollywood, can check these plcs...if u the cheong type..can go to Bangsar like out Mohammad sultan...
biggrin.gif

smiley

Hi all,

I will be bring my parents to KL in Dec02 1st overseas trip for my mum :p.

As u know, the eldery cannot walk too much..any gd suggestio to keep the trip as relax as possible in terms of walking, shopping?

Most impt of all, any gd suggestion on makan place..like roadside stall, chinese restuarant?

Appreciate your reply THANK YOU..IN ADVANCE

I

inki

Hi,

We're going up to KL as a group and the guy friends are complaining about all the shopping. I've never been to KL before, can anyone advise what else can be done at KL besides shopping ?

Hope that the guys will have something to look forward to. For pubbing, any recommendations ?

okeanosmao

hi smiley/inki,

for elderly ppl, i'm not too sure..cos basically i went there do alot of walking. from one shopping centre to another. but like the chinatown best.at nite, the place is incredibly crowded.due holidays and alot of angmoh tourist.but dun worry, the stalls there only quote high prices for ang mohs..for asian, they wont do tat..but must bargain till u think its worth buying cos they bring up the prices high high n later when u bargain they are able to sell to u..but if they dun agree on the price u give them, walk away.there alot of stalls selling the same items. oh there is one stall selling luohan guo drinks..it is v v nice...yum! yum! i love to drink that whenever i go there. its cheap oso..RM1 only. but if raining, it is better not to go there.no shelter. if not, can bring yr whole family to lot 10 or isetan.the more newer ones. or go mid-valley.there u can shop the whole day.
as for makan, i prefer roadside stalls as the food there is nice provided u dun think its dirty lah..when i stayed at federal hotel, further up the road opposite the hotel, roadside stalls are opened at nite for dinner..restaurants wise, i dun like the restaurants there. cos ex and not nice too.provided u can go to yr hotel's restaurants.
inki, recommend u go to this disco/pub - beach club. the music there is 80s/early 90s remix songs.i like there.it is an open concept area.especially when christmas time it is v v crowded.be there early.most ppl patronise there. i normally wont go hardrock as i more to disco/pub type..u can try along bukit bintang area..alot of discos/pubs u can choose.

happy holidays..me oso thinking of going KL again..
biggrin.gif

M

misty_blue

Hi friends,

Just want to chk, do u know whether those shopping complex at KL city r opened during chinese new year?

I'm going to KL from 1-5 Feb 2003 to spend my honeymoon at Palace of Golden Horse. Hubby cant take leave for half a yr, hence we can only make use of the CNY holidays for honeymoon.

Quite worried tt it will be very boring to stay at the resort for 5 days. but wonder whether the shopping complex open during this period. If not open, then we wont venture out of the hotel.

Or anyone has good recommendations what to do for 5 days at Golden Horse Palace?

Thanks.

N

newkl

Hi all,

we be leaving for KL tomorow morning and we are first-timer in there. How far is the Mid Valley Mega Mall from Ritz Carlton? We be staying there...any idea the journey if by cab or car and how much tp pay?

What are the other shopping centres other than KLCC which is quite expensive?? Mega Valley is good idea but then we be staying Kl for only 1 night. Just want to shop and know which are the favourite spots and the nice makan places. We'll going for the second time.

sunnyling

Ritz Carlton you must talk a cab not far but just jam in the traffic but near to Ritz Carlton you can walk to Lot 10, Star Hill, Sungei Wang. Go Petanling Street at night for shopping of cheap things but must bargain or they sell you very expensive (the claypot rice there also very nice but must queue) Ritz Carlton Chinese Restaurant Tim Sum also quite nice but expensive. Sungei Wang got 1 noddle shop sell quite nice food also not too expensive.

dopey

hi newkl,

if u are taking taxi, go n find a taxi stand. they will go by meter n is definitely cheaper than you bargain with a taxi that hang around the shopping centre entrance n say "taxi taxi?"

pegsfur

Hi newkl,

Agree with dopey. We took a cab outside century hotel at Bt Bintang & the driver charge us a flat fee RM$15. But when we came back, we took the cab at the taxi stand which goes by the meter & we paid only RM$9+, considering we were stuck in the traffic jam. Journey is not very far ... abt 10min.

N

newkl

Hi all,

thanks for the info. Howver, it was not as fansicating shopping in KL,--- Lot 10, Star Hill goods aren't that cheap, somewhat similiar to singapore.

From Ritz Carlton to Mid Valley Mega Mall we were charged RM$15 for the cab fare. The hotel people told us it around RM$10 to RM$15. We didn't bargain and I think we were charge premium price. Later we went to Chinatown from there. About RM$10, again it could be less than that. But the return trip to hotel was horrible.

It's extortion! We flag a few cabs. The charge range from RM10 to RM$15. There was one who dare to quote us RM$20!! Even though the hotel was so close and we could have walk back hotel! The price should be less than RM$10. But we were so dead tired... Luckily we managed to get one who charge us only RM$8 when we almost give up either walk or hop onto next cab that comes along expensive or not.

But one thing worth the trip was the KLCC-'twin tower' even though it was from afar, it was quite magificant. Though shopping was not worth mentioning, we could get similiar goods from Singapore and cheaper too. Lot10 and KCLL, Mid Valley Mega Mall are similiar to our Causeway, Jurong Point, only much bigger. Food is not cheap either...

And one good tip, stay at JW Marriott if you can afford it. It's got connecting to a shopping centre. Ritz are having some renov now, no wonder there was a promo package going on when we ask the butler. And it just start the promo on same day we check in. We pay much higher rate for the room. But then they have got nice room and we were upgraded to next grade of room. So ok.

Next time we go Bangkok or JB better...

Anyone has got good recommendation in JB for shopping and food?

mindy

for a trip to KL, how shd i start planning?
shd i go on F&E or with tour?

for F&E, where can i book a coach trip and any recommendations for agency?

how abt hotel? there was a promo by Visa Travel and now Crown Princess cost RM158 nett, wonder if its really that cheap

esparto

Hi all

I'm going to berjaya Times square in KL for 5 days 4 nites trip with my hubby and two sons.

Can anyone pls share with me the hotel and shopping stuff? thanks

brambles

hi esparto, i've gt 2 friends who went separately to KL but both stayed at berjaya. one had a horrible experience. she and her family had to request to change rooms 3 times! for reasons like dirty bedsheets, shower nt working, toilet flush nt working etc. n the worst thing is that the hotel staff took forever to help them solve the problem. so my fren n her family did not enjoy their trip at all!

however, my other friend who went there found everything ok. nothing fantastic but oso nothing as terrible as the above.

hi low, i've bought tickets from the KL Puduraya bus station b4. where r u planning to go frm there?

bubble_low

Hi brambles,

I'm planning to buy tickets back to S'pore. Wonder is it cheaper in KL ? Otherwise, got to purchase return ticket in S'pore.

esparto

Hi low

I think if u were to get ticket from KL it will be cheaper cause usually the price of the ticket is the same in singapore just that one is sing dollar the other is Ringgit. Worth it to get the return ticket from there. Just that u will have the risk of ticket sold out for the very day u want to come back.

Last time, I used to do that. But now with two sons better to have everything ready in singapore
lame.gif

HI brambles

Thanks so much. Cause I'm thinking of letting my son have the rides. Anyway I have not booked the tickets can still consider on hotel. Thanks

kokopooh

hi all

Don't stay in Hotel Istana, is the worst hotel i ever stay... very very bad sevice!!! Really very
horrible....

Cheers

nanshee

hello Low
purchase from Pruduraya (KL bus station) is cheaper than buying from SG. They cost half the price of what we pay in SG (about RM25). There are numberous bus services from KL to SG and they leave every hour. If u like grassland, u have to purchase from the opp. of Pruduraya (beside KF). Or else all other buses can reach SG. One thing to note is to ask where will they alight u in SG.

And also to take note of 'hot dates' .. better to purchase bus tixs once u reach KL so that u can 'chop' a seat frirst ...

esparto, Time sqaure is boring shopping area ( I was there late dec 2003) Alot of shops are not opened .. nothing exciting in there except the in door play groung for children and family .. and their concept is exactly like MBK (bangkok).. overall i find that Sungei wang has a better shopping environment compared to Times Square. Btw, stuffs in Time Square is more ex than Sungei Wang. (they are just than 10 mins apart of each other)

my recommendation for accommodation in Kl is Concord Hotel .. very budgeted .. at RM$175+++ only and it comes with Breakfast, room are clean, good service and monorail are just outside the hotel. If u wanna makan 'street food' ... novetel or federal hotel is good but only thing is that it is a 'red light district' ...

kingking

Hi, m new here. just to share that I go KL at least twice a year to eat and shop since its one of the most economical way to get away from the work stress. I always stay at Nova Hotel, near Jalan Bt Bintang cos i hv a fren who has some business connection with the hotel and he can help bk for me at v cheap rate. He earns a v small commission fr the booking.

Hotel is rated three-star and if u r looking for a convenient, budget / economical stay, this is quite a good choice to consider. Its within 10 min walking distance from Puduraya bus station and only less than 5 min from the famous Bukit Bintang shopping district. Although some say its near the 'red-light' district, i feel that the room is clean and staff are friendly and it doesn't appear 'dirty' at all. I can only say that it is definitely value-for-money. The breakfast served is a simple home-cooked fried eggs and sausage and toast bread. I personally prefer such plain & simple bf so that I can have more room for other cheap and nice food in KL!

I paid only RM 115 per night per room for a two nights stay. this is only abt S$52 per nite. If any of u are keen, u can contact Ken at 91826644.

Check out the hotel website at http://www.novahtl.com/
(note: was told that the room rate in the website is not updated. understand its higher now in view of its popularity).

matka

Hi! Am planning to go up to KL quite soon. Wondering if anyone has gone to the spas there? If so, appreciate your recommendations! I'm looking for a couple's package... are the prices like those of Singapore's or are they more competitive? How about service-wise? Thanks!

icecream

Hi
anyone knows where in KL is good to get stuff for wedding? i mean nice dresses, paper for invite cards, nice little gifts, etc?

mindy

hey
anyone stayed in JW Marriot Htl recently?
saw fm Asia Travel that is cost 345RM for a twin room.. wonder did anyone get it at a cheaper rates?