Korea+Jeju (8days winter holiday) ... Pls advise

annabella

Just back from Korea 2 days ago. I changed all my SGD to WON at Seoul airport on 27 Dec, the rate was 871.

Not so good rate during that period... sigh... should have changed it in Singapore when it was over 900.

lsling

Hi,
Me back from Korea yesterday nite.

For those visiting Korea soon, the exchange rate @ Incheon Airport is;
Buy : 1SGD=870KRW
Sell : 1SGD=950KRW

Overall was a nice holiday for me. Very tiny snow when in Seoul & Jeju on 29/12/08. Besides that, no more liao.

Did not managed to roam around Korea myself due to timing constraints, weather (very very cold @ nite) & language barier.

But I did went nite shopping in Dongdaemun - selling mostly winter products. Bought the jackets & sweaters. Though not wool/down feather, but it really gives warmth. Though the sweaters were thin like T-shirt, it does keeps me as warm as S'pore thick bulky sweaters.

No wonder Koreans can wear so trendy & slim, unlike us, bulky like a snowman...haha.

SF Tan,
Like U, I bought a lot of Jeju chocolates (10000KRW) & Seoul seaweeds (10000KRW, Buy 5 packs FREE 1 pack) & TFS Mask (10000krw, 10pieces).

mongju

Hi, as a Korean myself, just want to share some tips in traveling Korea

1. Do not exchange money in Korea either in SGD or USD.
The reason why is, they do not have street money exchanger like in Singapore, but you can only exchange money in bank or airport legally. I never find the rate is better in Korea Airport compared to Singapore, it may be better than SG Airport, but as you know, outside money exchanger like in Suntec, Mustafa, China Town etc have much better rate. All my Korean Friends always exchange money in Singapore whenever they go back for holiday.
Anyway, Korean Airport is the last place you would want to exchange money.

2. Try to buy other Korean brand cosmetics.
Missha or The face shop, or even Lanege are considered rather cheap brand in Korea, mainly for those teenagers or students to buy.
There are various brands and the sales people in the shop might recommend you not really good brands to you cuz you are a foreigner.
If you are in 20's, I would recommend Isa Nox, Cathycat, Enprani etc. If you are in 30's, Ohui(this is rather ex brand though), IOPE, Hu etc.
There is a big cosmetic shop named 'Todacosa' around Seoul (MyongDong, Jongno and so on), here you can try every kinds of cosmetics and choose. But you would not be able to find Missha or The Face Shop brand here as they are so cheap, Todacosa do not display them.

3. If you want some fashion items, there is a women street near YiHwa Womens University (can reach there by subway). Lots of things to see and buy, personally better than MyongDong.

4. Try to buy seaweeds, snacks in Hyper Mart like Lotte Mart(in Seould Station near NamSan), Homever, Home Plus etc(No Carrefour though). You can ask at the hotel concierge where is the nearest HyperMart, over there you can buy stuff a lot cheaper price.

5. You would not be able to bargain in DongDaeMun or Namdaemun, even Koreans like me also cannot bargain too much (well, my mum or aunties are good at it though). So do not expect too much in bargaining (even though you succeeded in bargain and got good price, it might be normal price to Koreans.. )

ruimei

Hi, Lynn

Welcome back. Happy New Year..Did u manage to go Mt. Sorak ?My trip come across 2day and 1 night snowing..expecially during the Mt. Sorak trip,, realy unforgetable(snow quite heavily).. SO where is your next trip ?

lsling

SF Tan ...
So envious tat U mamaged to see "live snow" ... did it affect your tour, eg traffic?

Hopefully Vietnam or Japan.

How abt U?

Shall we exchange msn? U PM me, cos i think u locked your PM

nalgene_bottle

Dear boys and girls,

I didn't get to see snow @ all when travelling 27 Dec 08 - 3 Jan 08.

Really cold and windy ... snow already on the floor. However, quite an unforgettable trip ...

ruimei

Hi Lynn,

What is PM stand for ? My Msn is [email protected]

Actually my tour very lucky , like Mt.Sorak and Ski at Phoenix , both day also snowing... specially during Mt sorak.. beginning is tiny snowing then when we reach the hill start snowing heavily.. it so wonderful... then during the ski lesson also snowing ... look like the weather follow our itinery lor..when shopping day also sunny day...

lsling

SF Tan,
I have added you to my msn already.
Your tour timing so good ... Our's the weather quite good too, except no "live snow" lor ...
Anyway had a great time in Korea. My guide quite good. Her name is Maggi (Chinese Korean).
Btw, what are the hotels U stayed?
Jeju - THE Hotel (i class it as 4*)
Sorak - La Sol (i class it as 6*)
Ski - Phoenix (i class it as 3*)
Seoul - Hilton (i class it as 4*)

My room view in Phoenix is marvellous. The window view directly on the ski. Wow! The view is priceless.

dashtan

Hi everyone,

Very glad that all of you have a smooth & wonderful holidays in korea. Hereby wishes all of you a very happy new year!!! Very fast now need to prepare for chinese new year liao..haha..

Ruimei..misses those days when we are in korea,so fun..remember the dad with 3 daughters in everland sledding? qu ba,qu ba..haha so funny..hope we can travel overseas together again..hehe..cheers!!!

ruimei

Hi, Tian Shun

Ya, my son still remember the Qu ba uncle...
Do remember bring Shu Juan visit me during CNY !

ruimei

Hi Lynn,
i already accept u in MSN..
Our Hotel
1) Jeju- The Hotel
2) Sorak - Sorak Hotel
3) Ski- Phoenix (my room didn't face the ski park, tian shun's room is face the park )
4) Lotte World Hotel

natnerak

Hi all, did all of you take the ASA tour to Korea? Anyone went with a different tour operator? My bf and I are considering the 8Days Winter discovery tour + jeju for our honeymoon. Any feedback?

Did you have alot of time to shop?

P.S: SY lim, you went from 27 Dec to 3 Jan? My friend also went during that period! Heard your group had a very good local guide from Korea?

nalgene_bottle

Hi K_Tan,

Ur friend? Oh that's quite QIAO

Well, our tour guide is actually Shan Dong ren, born and live in korea. He is good.

We celebrated New Year together. He and the tour leader bought cake and red wine. I suppose they did it out from their pocket. Very nice of them.

I give thumbs up for ASA. Actually my mum and my bf's parents chose ASA for their korea trips, feedbacks were good. That's why we took up ASA.

natnerak

Hi SY

Yup yup it's the same tour that my friend went on! Heard that the tour guide was very entertaining and also that there was a group mate whose birthday was during the tour too.

I also heard that there's a photographer who follows the group in seoul? And it's kinda 'compulsory'?! And that he's so helpful during the tour that it makes you feel obliged to buy photos from him? How many did you guys buy on average? Does anyone actually buy all the photos that he takes of them?

nalgene_bottle

That birthday group mate was my boyfriend loh .. keke

Yar, the photographer is actually from the Korea Tourism Board. Not really HAVE TO BUY but u see, he is a very helpful guy that helped us during our stay in Seoul. We took 8 pics from him, 5000won each. Avg abt 5-10 for each family.

During the trip, if u wanna ask him to help u and ur partner to take pic using ur camera, he is willingly to do so too.

foreverlove08

Hi all,

I'm going to 8Days Winter discovery tour + jeju for our honeymoon with ASA too on 21 Jan.

Anyone can advise what brand/type of face & body moisturise to buy in s'pore & also type of mask to buy at The Face shop in korea?

natnerak

Sy lim:

Haha that's really very qiao!

Anyway ASA tour itinerary sounds quite good and from the feedback given I think I'll try them out.

Thanks!

danger82

Hi all,

I was oso planning for the 8D Winter discovery tour + jeju island tour with ASA on 25 Feb.
Can i ask hows the Blue Canyon Water Themepark? Fun?

octo

Hihi all,

My family is also going korea in Jan, during the chinese new year period. Read from alot of places that changing korean won at korea airport is better. But after seeing lynn's post above, seems like their rates are not that good compare to singapore $ changer.

Quoted from lynn's post: "For those visiting Korea soon, the exchange rate @ Incheon Airport is;
Buy : 1SGD=870KRW
Sell : 1SGD=950KRW "

Not sure if I interpret it wrongly. But in Singapore, we look at the sell rate as the changer is selling won to us. But in korea, we should use their buy rate as the changer is buying SGD from us cause their base currency is won. So if based on lynn's information, the buying rate at korean airport is only 1SGD = 870KRW which is not much different from singapore $ changer.

Please correct me if Iam wrong.

jeslin70

Hi Shir or Hazel,

pls advice where u change 1SGD=870KRW? Becos I ask around at Chinatown, they offered me 1SGD=770KRW only... which I think is abit too low...

lsling

Hi, seems like i have created some confusion.

Hi Shir, I think you are right!

Becos;
29th Dec 08 @ Incheon Airport,
For every $1SGD, I get $870KRW

04th Jan 09 @ Incheon Airport,
For every $950KRW, I get $1SGD

*** when I enquired on 26th Dec 08, in S'pore, it was for every $1SGD, I get $850KRW

Hope it helps.

missylan

Hougang Mall's exchange at S$1-WON890

Me going with Genting Holiday this coming 9th. Dunno now got any branded on sale... Can I know where can I go buy branded in Seoul? Cos mine don't cover everland.

octo

Hi,

We have returned from our trip. It was very fun playing with the snow. We went with five stars travel and the food & accomodation provided are great.

Just to share our hotel experience. We stayed at a hotel named Phoenix something at Jeju. Their room are very clean, new and huge. The room or should it be 'apartment' that we got came with 2 bedrooms (1 with normal bed, 1 was for tatami style of sleep), kitchen, living room and 2 bathroom (1 with bathtub + attached tv beside the tub, 1 was standing shower type with shower screen etc). And yes, this room is only for 2 of us, so we picked 1 bedroom to rest, left the other room empty.

The hotel at Seoul near to the ski area wasn't that fantastic. Pretty old but clean and spacious. The best part of it was that its full length window exposed the whole ski track right infront of us. We could sit on our cosy bed / sofa and watch those outside braving the cold, doing night ski. Pretty cool. hee..

The hotel at Seoul (in the city) for the last 2 nights was 6 stars, think its called Imperial or something. The flat screen tv at the room was like 50+ inches and it has a huge attached bathroom which come with a big dry area (dressing top and seat there to do the makeup).

This is our first time having such wonderful accomodation going with guided tours. We'll definitely go with five stars next time if their itinerary suit us.

elm23

anyone can advise on the latest rate (feb) in incheon airport? seems better to change in seoul than in singapore.

shimaro

Wingo Travel -6D Korea 21 Jul $748 + $265 Taxes = $1013 only per pax..come and join....

cos need another 5 pax to be a confirm tour

Pls PM me if you need more details

i not earning anything...just to share a value deal..cos is just $1013 during school hoilday