Koh Samui

monica

Hi hi,
Me just came back from Koh Samui on Monday. It was a lovely and relaxing 4 days. At first I booked this Spa Samui Village. I booked this suite with panaromic view on the mountain. I regretted it the minute I got there. It was a beautiful suite. Big balcony, "SUPER WOW" outdoor bath tub with waterfall down the rocks. All for S$120.00 a nite. But huh... The climb can die seah. The slope so steep. The walk from the reception to our suite kept me sweating profusely even 1/2 hour after the climb. It was xiong man. We dreaded breakfast the next morning because must climb down again. Luckily they had some rooms on the beach too, we managed to get them to change our suite to the one on the beach. While waiting for the room to be cleaned up we did some massage. My hubby went for a 4.5 hour treatment which cost onlyh S$42.00 and I went for a S$10.00 aromatheraphy tangerine massage. Shiok seah. The food there was just fantastic. We were very lucky cos the restaurant in the hotel was a World top 50 restaurant. They serve health food. But you get really good thai food cooked healthy. Breakfast was hearty. We had Vegetarian sausages (taste like very texturized otah) or Soy Protein ham or u can chose this fantastic chicken breast patty with onions and garlic. They had potatoe cubes with caramelized onions and a whole wheat bun with a big serving of fruits. As they offer yoga and meditation we start the day off with meditation on the beach. It was so relaxing;....until my leg got cramp from sitting in one position too long. Yoga was.....NOt my cup of tea.... : P Qi Gong looks abit cheem for me too. We wanted to try Reiki but missed it cos we decided to go Snorkeling at Koh Tao and Koh Nang yuang. Koh Nangyuang was sooooooooooo beautiful. It's a small island with pristine white beach. And lovely corals and fishes. On Saturday we signed up for big game fishing. It was rather exciting but we didn't catch any big fish. Biggest we got was this Sting ray I caught. it looked so cute i just couldn't bear to eat it. I wanted to throw it back into the ocean but the fisherman decided it made great BBQ dinner for his family "Sob Sob"

We did spend an evening in Chaweng, shopping and eating. Ok lah, I can't remember much of that part cos I was down with fever and everything was a blur. I walked and i ate. Where and what i cannot remember leow.

Oh and for those who are interested in a fasting program this resort does provide a 3.5 days and a 7 days fasting. Many Ang Mos were doing it. It was suppose to cleanse your intestine, liver and blood stream. I was interested until the part i read u have to pump your intestine twice a day to flush all impurities out. It required u to stuff some tube into your anus and pump this whole lot of don't know what thing and u're suppose to "hold it in" for don't know how many minutes. I read leow abit scared. Don't think me game to try after all. Too hardcore leow. Those interested in a laid back down to earth place to stay can go to www.spasamui.com

ahboo

hi monica,
did u book thru a local travel agency here?? ur trip sounds good
happy.gif

bubble

Hi Monica,

I've been to the website b/f. Thought of going there, however, not sure how to go there. Do share with me whether did u book direct and how to go. Thks.

wendylee

Hi Monica,

Pls share with me how much in all you spent... where you booked... how much is the air fare, blablablbablbalbalblabla? Dec go okie not? Thanks!

monica

Hi Hi all,
I booked my trip seperately. My airfare I bought from Cosmos travel at Grand Plaza park royal. Flight to Koh Samui is slightly more ex because there is only one "ULU" flight operating there which is Bangkok Airways. The individual trips I book from Koh Samui. I've listed the $$ spent below

Air ticket - $399 X 2
Lodging at Bali Samui Suite - $120 X 1
lodging at Samui Beach Suite - $68 X 3
All our meals were below $10.00 That is like 3 dish with rice. Somtimes if I feel like desert we spend slightly more then $15.00. That is like already alot of food.
Snorkelling Trip - $60per pax (Includes lunch & Breakfast and snorkelling equipment plus to and fro transfer. Very nice buffet lunch at Koh Nanyueng. Breakfast was just sandwiches with drinks
Big Game Fising Trip - $60.00 per pax (Inclues bait, rods, boat, Fried Rice for lunch and fresh fruits)

Wendy not all beaches have Monsoon in December. December Koh Samui will be having Monsoon but the other side of Thailand which is Krabi/Phi Phi/Phuket will be fine.

Koh Samui is very cheap place to visit only thing the airfare so darn expensive. Maybe you can try visiting Krabi, it's got nicer beach with cheaper airfare too. That's what I heard lah.

If you like swimming in the sea, the beach on Lamai not fantastic ah. It's very rocky. U have to walk out of the fisherman boat's channel to get to the snorkelling/swimming area. Chaweng has nice beach but too happening for me leow. It's the "town" side. Can also try to Buddha beach, this couple told us it was very nice. It's nearer to the airport too

wendylee

Hi Monica,

Thanks so much for your info!!! I will discuss with my BF then after reading I still blur blur.. email you when I need more details! Many thanks!
happy.gif

laughing

Hi Monica or anyone,

Is it a good time to go samui in July? I've been there once but can't remember which month i went. I am thinking of going back there again for honeymoon in july, but afraid it may be too rainy. How about Krabi in July. Is it monsoon season? Or where else got soft white sand and clear blue water to chill out at after wedding in july?

orchid

Hi Lala,

we went to koh samui in sep and that was supposed to be rainy season. of the 5 days, only 1 day rain. i also read that koh samui is situated such that it is not affected by the monsoon. unlike tioman, wh is essentially closed from Dec - Mar cos of the monsoon, Koh Samui is open all year round.

u want soft white sand, u might want to go to tioman, phi phi island, trengganu, pulau redang, hawaii...

monicaeng

Krabi and Koh Samui in July is fine. Phi Phi Island is great to chill out. Redang/ Perhentian, Pulau Aur. But unless u do diving there is really nothing much on Pulau Aur. I've wanted to try Layang Layang but haven't found the time to go. Pulau Layang layang is a very small island. Good for chilling out. But don't expect shopping centres. Got money can go Bora Bora. Very tok kong one. But super expensive. Maldives also damn shiok. Many many islands. Unless u are planning to dive alot, the monsoon doesn't really matter. cos it doesn't rain everyday. But the currents gets very strong and it's dangerous to dive during the monsoons. I went to Phi Phi once with my friend during the monsoon period. It rained really badly when we were out at sea in a long tail boat. The storm was sooooooooooo beautiful. U see the storm moving towards you. We were stranded in the middle of the ocean. We were 1 hour away any island. It was really exciting. While the boatman was trying to get us out of the storm both of us were busy scooping water out of the boat. We were wet and cold. The lighting was just too beautiful. After 1 hour of struggling in the rough sea, we managed to beached on ... Mosquito Island. There was a small cave under the cliff so we squat there for another hour before the storm died down a little for us to go back.

laughing

Hi Orchid, I was in phuket this month and was advised no point going phi phi. Waters too cloudly leh..thanks for the info. will check them out!

Monica, Wow u must be quite a beach babe!! Been to so many cool island resorts! Never heard of Bora Bora but since u say tok kong, then i better check it out too! Thanks!!

giggler

Hi all, how abt Phuket in Nov? I thinking of going there in Nov leh. But don't know if it'll be very expensive with holiday and peak season surcharge.

okeanosmao

hi gals,

me oso planning to go phuket during 1st week dec..but hv asked alot of travel agencies tt the prices will be increased during this season..
maybe can check out this website..
www.phuket.com

alot of nice recommendations but i wld like to know more frm u gals who hv visited phuket on which hotel to stay. patong beach or kata beach better?

orchid

Hi Lala,

hmm... Phi Phi is one of the best places for snorkelling and kayaking. but if it rained the night before the day u want to go, then they're right, the water would be cloudy cos the sediments would not have settled. if not, it's perfect. there's this half-day or full-day kayak-snorkel day tour. u can choose whether u want to kayak or u want someone to kayak you (pay abit more).

yep, Maldives also very nice. my friends went there for their honeymoon on a special Maldives package stay at Banyan Tree, fly by SQ. they spend every day snorkeling in beautiful clear water (snorkeling gear is free) and eating yummy stuff.

zoeanne27

Hi

Try First House.. It is a budgeted resort.. Nice and have huge room...walking distance to the town and beach.
2 yrs ago i went... its newly opened and smell of fresh paint..

tambourina

hello anyone still here.....

i'm going koh samui for HM, booked Sala Samui resort.

spa, snorkelling and fishing are recommended? Shopping and food is cheap?

i don't know what to expect. So busy with new home and wedding preps that i didnt do much homework on koh samui.

zhuzhu

Hi Tambourina

Me also keen on the Sala samui resort...esp the sala polo villa...how much did you paid for it? When are you going? Me planning to go in Oct

tambourina

hi zhu zhu,

i am only getting the deluxe balcony, cannot afford more. going 12-16 Sep. first 3 nites 7350 baht and 4th night 6750 baht.

I think oct rates may be cheaper.

zhuzhu

Hi Tambourina

So u booked thru the internet? I calculated if I were to booked seperately and booked thru' agency...like not much difference leh...

Let me know how is the place when you come back...
happy.gif

nanshee

hi all... anyone hv any recommendation for resorts to stay in koh samui? cos was thinking of going there either in Nov this yr or Jan 06. Is this a good time to go? will there be monsoon season in koh samui?
happy.gif

nanshee

also forgot to ask, roughly how much will we need to spend per couple for about 5 days stay in a spa resort? thank you so much for your help
happy.gif

yvonne

Hi Tambourina & Zhuzhu

I'm planning to go Sala Samui Resort in Oct too! =)

havent made the bookings though..
Zhuzhu, i'm eyeing on the pool villa too... went to the website.. the place is soooo nice

i wonder if Tambourine is back from her trip....

snow04

Hi guys,

pls note that its monsoon season during Sep to Nov.

I'm thinking of going there too but was put off by the monsoon season...

tambourina

hi!!

i just touched down from the airport.

Sala Samui is a very very nice resort to stay at. i think the deluxe balcony is good enough. The staff was very friendly and helpful too. We enjoyed our stay there, altho majority of the guests are caucasians. The only drawback was that going to Chaweng Beach, we had to take cab or a public transport pick up. Sala is quite inaccessible compared to if you were to get a hotel or resort at Chaweng. The food is ex too.

First 2 days we were there, there was rain and strong winds. Sea activities were cancelled. We couldn't go snorkelling nor kayaking on board a yacht to Ang Thong Marine Park. But on the last 2 days, the weather was fantastic....

My new husband went to SITCA to try his hands at cooking Thai cuisine. He had never cooked before. Must say it was a warm experience to sit down together with him later to enjoy the dishes he whipped.

Yes it's the monsoon season now. Think twice before going during this period cos you may not get to enjoy all the activities.

Beware of power failures too. It happened very often when we were there. In the middle of the night, anytime during the day and it can get very hot and sticky. bring insect repellant too.

Food is good and cheap too. Came in huge portions too. Never eaten so much seafood for one whole week. Yumm....

timminbuzz

hi tambourina..

thanks for the info! I'm also thinking of Sala. Glad to hear that you had a great time! =)

if you don't mind me asking...what's the approx amt u paid for the entire trip? inc airfare and everything else?

tambourina

hi timminbuzz,

we spent about 3K *blushes*....

2k for airfare and accomodation. The other 1k, we went to Mandara Spa, for expenses and good food, a bit of shopping and also tippings. Oh, and i sent my husband to SITCA cooking class. Plus we paid 1500 bahts for a 5 hour island tour.

You wanna look at pictures we took?

timminbuzz

tambourina...

oh ok...3K is great for so much fun! I'm thinking of going for 5 nights. Can I have a look @ the pics? THANKS SO MUCH!

hpyue

Hi there..

Me just came back from koh Samui, should stay in Sundays tropical Resort, but not very near to the beach.. but the hotel and the rooms is very cozy and nice, for couple who just wanna rest and relax should vist this resort, is not very expensive too about 1800 balts per night

bluesand

Hi Elaine,

I booked my trip from 29 Oct to 5 th Nov. Will fly off next week.

I didn't have time to do home work abt this trip till I read this thread. Not aware that the monsoon season is from sept till Nov.

Does is rain ???

And any good recomendation for spa and diving ?

Me n hubby going for honeymoon and we will be staying at samui peninsular spa resort. it is 10 km away from chaweng. Thinking to rent a car for a day for round island trip. What is the road condition like ?

Mind to share your experience ?

hpyue

Hi Bluesand...

have a wonderful and romantic trip there ya.. when i was there late sep no rain but cloudy la, not much sun if you wanna to suntan... we stayed in sundays resort, and they have everything there, we doesnt need to travel to find spa, diving can check with the hotels as well as car rental, motor rental etc.... road condition..hmm... not that good la of cos and you must know where u heading , quite a huge island, you can book a half day tour to travel whole island coz us about S$8 only per person..

bluesand

HI ! Elaine, Thanks for your reply.

Is the food n basic nessacity (mineral water ?) on the island expensive ?

Average how much you spend for a meal ? Any good recomendation ?

I will be staying at the Bo Phut area. Heard have to get minivan to get to Chaweng!

Is there a lots of shopping on the island ? Cheap as Bangkok ?

hpyue

bluesand

Food on the island not very expensive, I dun know about BO Phut area, coz I went to chaweng and lots of shopping there, but must really bagain, they mark up really high. Bought a shorts there and they asked for 700 bats and it took me awhile to lower down to 200. but i suggest dont buy things there unless u see somthing you really like as they sell the same thing as BBK and much on the higher side. but the food in chaweng is cheap, I spend only S$10 I can have a large pizza and a spagatti for one meal for two of us .going for island tour ??

orchid

hi ladies,
any one been to koh samui in november? is the rain really bad?? i just booked my trip and realised that its monsoon season...

zailani

i going fot 4 days 3 nites at chaweng regent beach resort.i saw alot of attractions places like snake shows bullfights zoo in the website.has anyone went there before?or how to go there from the hotel i will be in?any tour guides there to bring us there or the hotel itself can help us?pls tell me.thks.email to me if u can [email protected]since i got little days to enjoy only i saw this website mr ungs magical safari which they will take us to some attraction sightseeings which can save my time.it is located at chaweng beach.
http://www.ungsafari.com/
does anyone noes.pls try to help me coz this is my time im going overseas not only that,going for my honeymoon......

kei_ko

hi zai,

i was there 1 or 2 years ago so i will try to give some feedback to you.

if you are staying at chaweng, there are many tour agencies along the main road. you can check the details with a few of them before making a booking. hotels can arrange the tours too but i would recommend you take half a day to look around before deciding. btw, the agency will provide guides for each tour.

since you only have 2+ days there (exclude arrival and departure day), you don't have much time to see everything. in my opinion, try to do the 1 day safari or island tour, then another 1 day go snorkel / kayak tour at the smaller islands. go shopping along chaweng at night after your tours. any balance time go spa, etc.

all the best!

zailani

thks for ur help,kei_ko.regarding about the 1day safari or island tour,which agency do u take.is it mr ungs.how much it costs.sori to disturb u again..

kei_ko

hi zai,

actually i took the island tour from my hotel but found out later that i can get better deals outside. i heard the safari was more fun. thats why i recommended you to look around the tour agencies in chaweng before deciding. the agencies will have brochures or photos to show you what you can expect from each tour. sorry cannot remember the price i paid.

cheers!