Karcher, Dyson or Osim Mermaid vaccuum cleaner?

cathy

Hi all. Need some help here. I'm intending to get a vaccuum cleaner, but i'm very sensitive to dust. Which of these brands is a better choice.

Was consider Osim mermaid since it use water rather than dust bags. But i think the other two brands doesn't use dust bags too. Is that true?

Does all these brands able to vaccuum water? So far i know Osim Mermaid have. Thanks and appreciate for all comments and recommendations.

och

hi cathy,

a rainbow costs abt $3k. i use the kaarcher as a low-cost alternative. it also has hepa filter n is water-based, like osim's mermaid.

cathy

Thanks Och, but $3k is too high liao. I'm not using it for commercial but home use. If my hubby knows that, thinks he's going to kill me.
biggrin.gif

Which is better? Osim or Karcher? Which model are you using? Can tell me more on Karcher please? Many thanks!!

demio

I understand Genie is a steam cleaner and not a vacumn... only the mermaid is... however, the mermaid does not really pass thru the water.. but the karcher one does..... hence only the latter really uses the water as a filter...

i was contemplating to buy one of these 2 as well... then i came across a lower cost alternative, also with a hepa filter, and cost less than $300.... it's from aerogaz.... may lose out on looks, but at least i know i'm paying for the product and not the advertisements! =P

och

hi cathy,

kaarcher only has 1 model of water-based vacuum. the osim mermaid has 7-stage filtration, while the kaarcher has only 4. osim n dyson r also certified to be suitable for asthmatics by some association. not too sure if kaarcher is. other than that, i cannot really tell the difference.

i find my kaarcher vacuum more than sufficient for my needs. the exhaust fr the motors r also filtered, which means that the vaccum will not spit dust while vaccuuming. osim has the same feature. i'm also v. sensitive to dust.
happy.gif
my husband is also happy, cos the kaarcher model stands upright, n he finds it easier to carry around.

the kaarcher model sells for abt $689 or so. but i used citibank points to redeem for harvey norman vouchers.
wink.gif
it's also sold at tangs, just round the corner fr the osim booth in the basement. u can take a look at both vacuums there.

i took a look at dyson b4, but decided to buy a water-based vacuum instead. cos my parents had a rainbow, n i find water-based mechanisms really easy to maintain n clean. i dislike hving to remove any containers or bags to remove the dirt, cos the light dust dun settle in the containers n they will fly to moment i try to clean the vacuum.

cathy

Demio,
What do you mean by it doesn't pass thru the water?
uhoh.gif
I think i saw dust trap in the water le. Aerogaz? Where can i find that?

Och,
So is the Karcher one standing upright? Can it suck up water too? You got the model number and if its feature in their website? So its sold in Tangs and Harvey Norman too? Yeah agree i also like to have the water base kind. Went to Dyson website, think it only uses air not water.
sad.gif

kit_k

Hi all
I am also tired of the dust bag. A few months ago,a lady doing door to door sales tried to sell us a vacuum cleaner costing $3k. I think the brand is something like Delphine. Her demonstration was convincing but the price is pretty steep and never heard of the brand.
What do you really mean "pass through water"? How much the OSIM cost? I heard that HEPA filter is quite expensive, do we need to replace it often?

cathy

kit,
Osim cost $780 now. The filter only need to change once a year. The filter itself cost $25 if not wrong. There's another filter at the back to trap the dust escaping while vaccuum. All i remember is the sales person say total jus spent $44 on these 2 filters.

mtdt

What about VAX? Seems like this once can do mopping and vacumming at the same time...

Anyone using this...

och

hi cathy,

both the kaarcher n mermaid can suck up some water, but not a lot, cos these r not wet vacuums. the link is here. http://www.karcher.com.sg/products/indoor/aquaselect.htm

hi kit,

water-based means that after sucking up the dirt, the air is channeled into a water container. water will cause the dirt n dust to stick together n these stay in the water. after cleaning, just empty the container. the general recommendation for most vacuums is to change the HEPA once a yr or half-yrly, depending on ur usage i suppose.

och

hi cathy,

really? i'm not too sure abt this.
lame.gif
i just assumed it's about the same, since in both machines, u can only fill the water containers to about 1/3 the level, else the water turbulence will soak all the machinery.

wormworm2

hi all,
my hubby bought the osim 4 months ago n we have only used it less than 5 times... guess we are so tired after work that the last thing we want to do is housework... n last month when we went over to usa we found this incredible machine known as roomba and it is fantastic! it is able to do normal vacuum by itself!!! we are so pleased that we used it almost everyday! each day different room just press start and off we go to work by the time we are back the room is clean! u can try to search under roomba. we have frens who travel to states often so we can ask them to bring over
there is a singapore website that sells it
http://www.purplemoo.com/store/pc_viewItem.asp?idProduct=357
but i can get it at much lower price cos my frens who work in the airline can travel there and shipped it back. think all in should be abt S$600+

so let me know if u are keen but i cant promise when the goods will arrive.
btw i am not in sales.

pepper

yes i am keen. does it really clean well like those under the tables, bed etc? once it finishes cleaning, does it turn itself off? do u have to close the door so that it will not venture outside the room? how about noise level? thanks!!

wormworm2

hi,
the machine works well!!! so far have saved a lot of time. usually i will put it in a room and let it auto roam and when i am back it is clean..waiting for me to pat her head! i call her maria!!! lol!!!
maria comes with 2 sensor so they act as artificial wall and so maria will not be able to venture beyond the boundaries which you set. i suggest you go and see the machines at the shop. although i benefited much from it i do not want to come across as overselling its benefits and i am no good at sales talk. but frankly though its more ex as compared to normal vacuum (though cheaper than our left to rot BIG mermaid)we find the time saved is more valuable.
oh yah regarding the noice level, i wasnt able to watch the korean series when my hubby was using the osim but now maria starts work with a chirpy sound and then i am stuck to the tv hee hee . oops in case i get misinterpreted ... maria is not silent, she is just not very noisy... though she can be nosey cos she will visit almost every where in a room to clean it. she even has a little arm to sweep the dust at the edge and sides of the wall hee hee

pepper

Hi Worm2

where can i buy the machine in singapore? or how can i buy through your friend? how about the warranty part? thanks!

wormworm2

the add can be found in the webby i gave earlier anyway it is here
Blk 514 #01-04 Chai Chee Lane Singapore 469029 ~ Office Telephone : +65 6448-3364 ~ Facsimile : +65 6448-3913

becos i bought it in usa and they only accept usa add as warranty, i am afraid when my friend bring it back to singapore there will be no warranty issued. i email to the company and their response is the same. however so far they dont have any problems with it over the last 1.5 yrs. Its a new product and won lots of awards for yr 2002. i guess that why it is a lot more expensive to purchase it from the local agent. u will be paying a lot more for the warranty.
but like is said, i cant guarantee cos my friend may not fly to USA all the time i think the airline company will rotate their location. but if u really want i can try asking
happy.gif

suet

I bought the Karcher vacuum cleaner. My hubby who does most of the housework because I'm pregnant now. He is very happy with it. The vacuum cleaner can be used on wet surface & he said that it's very powerful. He recommended it to his friend & he also bought one too!

och

hi bride,

i think it's around $800. if u donate to nkf, there's a coupon for $300 off the mermaid.

vone

hi bride,

d retail pr is $780. heard fr a fren tat it's not bad, mayb u can visit d store n c d demonstration. they can aso give home demos at ur hse, but u must go 2 d website n book. d website add is http://shop.osim.biz/home/main.asp

hi och,

d coupon is oni applicable 4 d genie. so cannot use when u buy d mermaid. i aso thought of using d voucher initially 2 buy d mermaid but on closer look, realised tat i cannot. so sad.
sad.gif

och

oh that's sad. i heard that osim has a new product that combines steam cleaning with a water-based vacuum? u gals know anything abt it?

vone

ya, it's call iecologi n it costs $1,588. it wld b cheaper 2 buy tis if u r planning 2 buy d mermaid n genie. seems quite effective when i saw d demo at 1 of their roadshows.
happy.gif

och

wah! so expensive. i remembered when i saw the ad for iecologi, i thot how nice it was to hv a single machine to vaccuum n clean, can save space. but i din know the price is so ex.
happy.gif

i already hv a separate water-based vacuum n steam cleaner fr kaarcher. they were bot separately 2 yrs apart.

afcai

Hi,

My water based vacumm cleaner which I bought from IMM Watson cost me only $199(usual retail price at $399, promotion is 50% off) and it delivered to my house somemore. what a good service and the delivery man also teaches me how to use it. I think my water base vacumm cleaner is quite worth the $$. The motor itself also have a protector to cover.

I am not sure when is the promotion ending and you might want to go IMM Watson(board the free shuttle fr clementi/Boon Lay MRT taxi stand or Jurong East MRT Station - behind popular bookshop) and check it out. Last weekend, I went IMM, the promotion is still ON. I guess it is till end of GSS.

vone

hi och,

ya i noe it's ex but it seems so gd. i imagine tat i can vacuum d floor wif it. then no need 2 mop, use d steamer n steam clean it. in addition, i can aso use it 2 steam my mattress n sofa.... wah....
proud.gif

when i told hubby abt it, he told me tat he rather use our trusty n cheap vacuum cleaner n mop 2 vacuum n mop our hse!! guys....
lol.gif

so how much did u pay 4 ur vacuum cleaner n steam cleaner?? r they gd?? let me noe so tat i can hv more choices.
happy.gif

hi afcai,

thks 4 ur recommendations.
happy.gif
let me go n check it out. btw, how do u find it?? is it gd??

och

hi vone,

when i bot the vacuum, it was abt $569 cos i bot at launch. the steam cleaner was bot at the kaarcher sales events in their warehouse. it comes with a steam iron for abt $300-$400, cannot remember the exact price liao. i think these r sufficient for my needs lor.

normally, we vaccum n then mop. vacuuming beats sweeping, cos it picks up fine-grained dust. my apt is next to expressway, so i get a lot of such dust. like kaarcher cos like the mermaid, it has a filter after the engine to trap engine exhaust. n it's water based, so it's v. easy to clean.
biggrin.gif

only used the steam cleaner a couple of times. it's quite good lor. we use it to clean the toilets a lot.
lol.gif

vone

hi och,

wah... tat's cheap as compared 2 osim's.
happy.gif
do u remember when was d warehse sales event at karcher??

we hv d same situation 2.
happy.gif
as we aso stay near d expressway, my hse is quite dusty even though we keep most of the windows closed. thus we usually vacuum then mop. i dun like it when the dust all flew up when i sweep d flr.
sad.gif

thought of getting a water based vacuum cleaner so tat i dun hv 2 throw away dust bags. if not, my hse kena dust again.
sad.gif

as 4 d steam cleaner, thought tat i can use it 2 steam my mattress n sofa. then i can eliminate d bugs bugs in them.
proud.gif

cooler

hi all,

my hse is pretty huge n while i really need my hb to vacuum and mop the whole house every week, i really hope tat i can purchase an equipment that can do these 2 chores together n make the whole place really clean and to ease his 'job'. (vacuum n mop does not make the place clean. can always see 'remnants' behind ... even after these 2 activities)

i read abt the posting abt iecologi so that's out for now. Can karcher cleaner or any other cleaner do the vacuum and mopping at one go? any good recommendations? Thanks a mil !

roooller

hi Demio,

i'm also lookg at Aerogaz.
Seem like not many know abt this brand.

Diners credit card now hving promo.
$199 with free delivery!
think u hv to claim fr ur points, which it's still worth it.

armageddon

Wish I was more informed before I bought this useless machine (iEcologi). With 2 tanks of water (one for the boiler and another for the filter), it's just too HEAVY to lug around when doing house-chores.
I so regretted buying it, especially when I started using it at home. We have tiles and it's a killer to clean that. Just doesn't look as easy at they do it at the roadshow, because they only clean small surfaces (for a short time), and don't move the iEcologi around, all the time. The vacumm power is weak even with the highest setting. The brush on the head grabs the dirt and hair from carpet, not the suction !! Worst still, if you forget to empty the dirty water tank, it stinks high-hell, and would pose more of a health threat, rather than provide cleaner air.
I later found out from reading a few forums that OSIM don't even own the R&D for this machine. It's a copy from Polti Italy, http://www.polti.it/eng/pages/prodotti/prd02.php?id_linea=2&id_marchio=15&id_prodotto=47/ (just diff colour), and AKIRA in Singapore, http://www.myakira.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=14&catid=131&id=1085 are also taking this same machine.
This is more like a OEM model and rebatched with different name & colour, but sells for twice the $$ in Singapore. The RRP in UK is $299 pounds, http://www.deals4u.co.uk/product.asp?id=1674
What a rip off!! Don't waste your money like I did.

juliea

Just a suggestion. There's this model VAX selling at HN at Millenia walk. It's water based but the good thing is for those sensitive to dust, it doesn't use a dust bag. So no worries about changing it. It comes with this mop fixture which means that it shd be good for laminate/parquet flooring. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a salesperson for the brand- just someone very impressed with its functions. Its retailing for $689. HB and me going to invest in 1.

patlpt

Stephen, do you have the contact nos of the person who sold you your Rainbow?

My mom bought a Rainbow many many years ago and now that some parts are faulty, she is unable to reach any one of them.

Even the office numbers given to her were no longer in use. If you have their contact, I would appreciate your reply. Thanks.

ridhwan82

i am also looking or rainbow cos need to buy some of the parts.. like the brush. haiz. they used to have a corner somewhere at IMM but now nowhere to be found. maybe must ask operator..hehe but rainbow is real solid! ex but worth the price you are paying for its technology

hoaxter

the difference in dyson iecologi and karcher
made a recent looks on the specs!all are allergy vacuums for cleaaner air

karcher:water filteration system ds5500
(approx)weight :7.5kg
wattage :1400w
hepa grade : hepa 13 plus carbon filter
four stage filtering include filtering of bacteria living in moisture and dont live in moisture.slick look stylish and upright for easy lifting.stable and goes along well when pulled all accesories included!MADE IN GERMANY!

dyson: dc08 allergy
(approx)weight :7.5kg
wattage :1400w
hepa grade : hepa 13
bagless vacuum with cyclone tecnology to separate fine dust and bigger particles.when open the container dust will fly arnd,2 stage filtering,technology cant be washed. MADE IN MALAYSIA!

iEcologi: water based and steam
(approx) weight :16.8kg
wattage suction :1050w
hepa grade : hepa 13
2 in 1 machine mops and vacuum.kill germs when usingthe steam cleaner.made in italy