Japan - Free and Easy Advisable?

sereneli

Hi Sweet,

OIC....nv mind cos hubby went to library to borrow. told me to buy only when it's nearer the departure cos he scared got new edition
happy.gif

sereneli

Hi KK,

I wished I could too but hubby can't take any more leave this year and he's also going on biz trips, so have to plan for next year instead.

cottoncandy

hi serene

yaloh, in case of new editions that come up..wait probably 3 mths before your intended departure mth before getting bah clipart{kao_wink}

blueberry

Serene,

Never mind. then you have more time to plan for a good trip.
happy.gif

If you need the book, can let me know. I got the travel guide. But there should not be a lot of changes made to different editions. Just get the one from the library and do some reading first. this will get you to think where you want to go.
You intend for F & E or packages one?
Your pix upload? remember to PM me , ok?

sereneli

Hi KK,

Yeah, hubby went to loan the book for me liao kekeke....sacrificed his lunch time to borrow keke

wanted to go F&E but then package may be easier for communication wise...haven't really decide leh..

will pm you once ready....probably in another 2 to 3 weeks time
happy.gif

blueberry

Serene,

We went there last Oct for HM. F&E is quite ok. but you must do your homework in knowing where to go. Language wise, still ok. some of them know English. but just pick up some jap in case. Some guides have jap words to learn. so bring that along when you travel. will be handy. We din managed to cover a lot of places. intending to spend more time in Kyoto. It's nicer and more relax than Tokyo.
But prepare to spend a bit there. things are quite x. esp the transport. Things are expensive there so, you won't bear to spend a bit there.
But overall, it is really a visual experience.

sereneli

Hi KK,

Yeah, I know kekeke....my bro was there in April/May this year and said that the stuff there, minimum at least SGD 15.00 kekeke

How much budget do you think it's enough for about 10 days f&e?

sereneli

Hi KK,

Yeah, I know kekeke....my bro was there in April/May this year and said that the stuff there, minimum at least SGD 15.00 kekeke

How much budget do you think it's enough for about 10 days f&e?

blueberry

Serene,

Haha.. even before going there, already will spend around 1.5K for the airline tix( 2 pax). but if you go during peak period, likelyhood ard 2K (depending on which airline)

But if you want to travel within cities, take the JR pass. think about 300+. so two will be ard 700.
Food wise, per meal is ard SGD15. think if add this and that. one person close to abt 2K? rough guide.

April/ May is peak period.. so air tix and package are high. cherry blossom period.

or else you can considered Autummn period. cooling but raining season.

sereneli

Hi KK,

Ehh...still got accommodation...so I guess total for 2 pax about $5K excluding shopping spending money? kekeke

I wanted to go during Autumn, which means Oct to Nov period...this year cannot cos hubby not free....if wait till next year end...abit sian kekeke
so tot of going in Apr/May period

blueberry

Serene,

Almost forgot.. haha.. thinking too much on moving ard places. forgot about the night stay.
Think about there(5K)
Shopping wise.. we bought nothing much back. except food stuff. you should try the bread there and the "7-eleven" style bentos. cheap and good. a lot of variety.. sure miss the bentos there...
happy.gif
saliving now....
When we went there in mid Oct towards end Oct. since no sign of autummn. but think when we left, the autummn starts.. :p but we managed to see only one tree with little bit of red leaves. that was in Kyoto. Autummn is nicer in the more layback places. think you should spend more time in Kyoto. There is more scenic places there.
But accomodation, hard to find cheap ones.. still looking...

sereneli

Hi KK,

heehee me want to go there and eat the food too! Cheap accomodation in Japan is practically zero I guess

yukie

Hi gals... me n hubby plan to go for 7d Hokkaido pkg tour n extension 2-3 nite in tyo in early oct.

Visting Disney land is a must for me!
happy.gif

But oso wanna stay at kyoto.

So how do u tink i should go abt? Will it b cheaper if i get the tour agency, most probably will b bkg wif Chan brother to bkg everything incl the disney land tic n bullet train tic?

Tks in advance...
happy.gif

aleixis

Hi Yukie,

We were also thinking of going Hokkaido in late October and am still researching around whether to do F&E or a package. Most of the packages for late October are not out yet.

Heard that if we were to do package, it may be cheaper because accomodation in Japan is so expensive. Just that both of us like to roam about at our own time and explore places. So, in a dilema now.
sad.gif

ublur

ningyo, u got mail... definately go for late oct- early nov.. cos tt time will b autumn time.. it's the best period to see beautiful sight of maple leaves...
hope u enjoy the photos..

blue_genie

Hi Aleixis,

We just came back from HM frm Hokkaido. Went there by tour. I wld say it will be advisable to go by tour as the meals are inclusive inside the pkage (except 1 lunch that u need to settle by your own).

Ave u need to spend for a meal is abt SGD30 but of cos it is very fulling one, so dun need worry that u will go hungry...

of course another barrier will be the language..i noticed that the japaneses can't really communicate in English...u need to speak very slowly or write to them then they will then understand.

ningyo

Hi Blurblur,

Received ur pixs! WOw!
Ur pixs r lovely and both u n hubby r photogenic n good at poses~~~~~
happy.gif

hehee, now my pester my hubby to go early nov.

Thks for sharing ur pixs!!!!
happy.gif

yukie

Hi Aleixis... we choose to take the pkg cos oredi did alot of planning for wedding liao... so time to take a rest... if go F&E hv to do quite abit of research... n oso the langauge problem... me n hubby only knw how to say 'arigato' 'sayonara' n 'oishi'... hahaha...
happy.gif

But we will roam ard on our own in tyo... cos it's city area so i tink there s/b more ppl speaking eng there...
happy.gif

Hi Blue... which tour agency did u sign up wif? N wat was the price...?

homeangel120

Hi all, i will be going to sendai for a work for 5 days. Then, intend to stay for a nite or 2 at tokyo. Is it advisable? As i am travelling alone..

Any cheap and safe accomodation to recommend? Preferably near the station. Thank you very much
happy.gif

magix

hi shirley,

i think u try shinjuku area. its very convenient and easy to travel to harajuku, shibuya and even ikebukuro. try the online bkg website. we book there and i nvr regret my choice though the rm is small. its v cosy!
happy.gif

if i am not mistaken, i booked at asiarooms.com

blue_genie

hi yukie!

sorry, think i din notice ur posting in this thread..until now then realised u asked me a qn, hope i m not too late..
kao_embarrassed.gif

we signed with SA tours...the exact price i can't really remember, think its $1948 per pax (inclusive of air port taxes). this price has not yet inclusive of the tips u need to give to the local tour guide & bus driver.

if u r gg there by tour, guess u need to cater some cash to tip the local tour guide (if any) and the bus driver

homeangel120

Hi Magix,

Thanks a lot for your reply
happy.gif

Do you still remember which hotel or inn did u book? How much (roughly) does it cost per pax? I am thinking of staying at the ryokan, but there are too many choices and i am not sure which is the popular for tourists. Hope can get some advice...Thanks again
happy.gif

chubbybaby

Hi blue_genie

Me and hubby planning to book with SA tour too. Can share with me how are their services? Is the tour package good?

Thanks!

blue_genie

Hi babyface.

Personal feel is that the pkage SA tour has and services are not bad..at acceptable range

so u gg which part of Japan? Hokkaido too?

chubbybaby

Hi Blue_Genie

Going to Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. tinking of extending in Tokyo. maybe can book a tour to Hokkaido from Tokyo.....just a thought
happy.gif

I am checking Chan Brothers, SA tours, CTC and Ana Holidays.

blue_genie

Hi babyface.

Osaka and Kyoto...wows~ nice places. heard that these places are fun...they will be my next destination if gg japan..

guess u can consider booking internal tour there to Hokkaido, much cheaper compared to booking frm SA tour if u r extending ur stay in Tokyo...

chubbybaby

Hi Blue-Genie

SA Tours having travel fair at Suntec this Sunday. Will pop down to have a look cos we going in mid-Sept, not much time liao.....hee......

at 1st we wanted to do free and easy cos not so rush as in a tour package but really got no time to plan, already very busy with wedding preparations. so u going free and easy for your next Japan trip?

blue_genie

hi babyface.

ya, they are having a tour fair at suntec this sun. the tour guide who went Hokkaido with us frm sg mentioned before..can go and see look as he said the offers are pretty gd...

agree with you that its better that u do free and easy to those places u mentioned for ur HM. HM shld be relaxing and fun, at the same time not rush...

that time, when we still deciding which part of Japan for HM, i did consider those places u said but by tour (as we dunno Japanese)..but when i see the itinerary by SA to those places, i feel it is very rush...so in the end we chosen Hokkaido with them...very relaxing and not rush...no regrets..thumbs up! hee hee

for my next japan trip i will do F&E

ningyo

Hi,

Anybody goin Japan in Nov?

Who's going F&E? Seems like the air tix price kinda of X for 2 pax.
sad.gif

Any recommendation of any agency that sells cheaper direct flight air tixs?

I've checked out Zuji and the cheapest direct flight is SQ but it's min. 4 to travel.
The Thai Ariway and China Airlines have to transit....

Thanks!
happy.gif

kyl

Ningyo,

My hubby and I did free & easy everytime we went japan.
Can try Northwest.. the timing of the flights are quite good.
Check out the website. sometimes can be cheaper.

just_me

Hi KYL, usually what timing of flight do you take and roughly how much? Am thinking of getting a returned ticket to Tokyo but searched the website, all so exp
sad.gif

kyl

Hi JM,

I always take the early morning one. at 640am. so by the time reach Tokyo will be by 2pm( their time)7hrs. I prefer to reach in the day time so that got to time to rest and explore a bit.
just went one last week. costs about Sin700.
check out the website. sometimes they have some promo on check flights. Think sometimes they want to fill the capacity that's why it could be cheap.
but no worries.. So far me booked twice and think it is better and cheaper than going thru agents.
you get to choose your seats and the food too... which I like.

idono

Yupz, if you dun mind NW, they're the cheapest usually. NW is otherwise known as the long haul budget airline..haha

scenz

Hi,

I have been twice to JP with my wife... 1st trip to Matsumoto, Takayama, Shirakawa-go (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5951.html) and for 2nd trip, I visited Kyoto, Tokyo, Mt Fuji and Izu area.. Both of the trips I went are on F&E and I must say the experience is terrific and we can experience the real japanese culture. (Hot spring, Ryokan)

Usually, Tour agent will usually bring u to those usual place and shopping area, but if you really want to experience Japanese culture, travelling on your own is the way to go. The transport is really convenience and you can venture to those remote area easily. As for language, if u can read chinese, that is half battle won.

You can get cheap accomodation via internet too:
These are 2 sites I booked for my trip:

http://www2.tocoo.jp/english/ (very cheap accomodation)
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com

Please drop me a note and I can share with u my photos.

just_me

Thanks, KYL. will source it out.

Anyone been to disney sea yet? is it worth exploring? also, heard that the train system in Jap is very confusing. Anyone got lost before?

angelinetan

Hi Yee Scen,

Me too thinking of going on late oct. Kindly share with me your pics or is there any itinerary to share? My email is [email protected]

Anyone know roughly how much it will cost for 6 days maybe to tokyo & osaka?

Thanks
happy.gif

yorkiestar

hi jm,

i've been to disney sea when it was just opened some yrs back. after been to the normal disneyland, i muz say disneysea is a new experience.. all the attractions r water related..
happy.gif
must go explore it have time, but entrance fee quite ex i think... as for the train system, muz check carefully b4 boarding.. a platform can have trains going to different destinations.. so muz check out the time of train exactly n ask the platform guy b4 boarding to be safer...

tamarind

Hi everyone,
I am going to Japan next week on my own. Will be flying to Tokyo, stay for 2 nights, then to Hokkaido for 4 nights.

In Tokyo, anyone knows where is a good place to buy children's toys and clothes ?

In Hokkaido, I will be visiting Furano, Otaru and Sapporo. Anyone been to Daisetsuzan ? Is it nice ?

homeangel120

Dear all,

i need some advice here, please help. I will be flying to japan next week. I am planing to buy the JR east pass, did anyone here bought the JR pass before? How is the procedure like? I check the website which says that the seat on the Narita Express and Shinkansen need to be reserve in advance? Does it means that when i purchase the pass online, i need to specify all the date and time? Coz i am scared that what if the flight delay and so on..Or can i just purchase the ticket when i reach narita airport?

kyl

Shirley,

You can get the JR pass locally.you can't get it there at Japan.
They will give you a voucher and then when you reached Narita, you can change the voucher for the pass.
I got mine from the travel agent.
www.japanrail.com

kyl

Tamarind,

Ikebukuro's Sunshine City has a lot of kids stuff.
Actually, most of the malls have kids's stuff. so you dun have to worry of not being able to find any.
happy.gif

homeangel120

HI KYL, Thanks for ur info. By the way, did u reserve ur seats on the Narita Express and Shinkansen online? Or u just board the train when u r there?