Japan - Free and Easy Advisable?

just_me

Anyone have any advice for first time who's taking subway? really worried get lost there and end up in another perfecture... ;P

kyl

Shirley,

I din reserve the seats. There are suffient seats when I was there.(not at peak hour I suppose)
But if you are travelling in the early morning, festival seasons or weekends, better check with the train station counter (the one you are boarding). They are helpfully people and you can also get a timetable sheet on the day that you are travelling. But most of the time, seats are quite ok.
Btw, just for your information. JR pass (thoses with 7 days,14days, etc) are only avaliable outside Japan and at a lower costs too. So it is the best to get them before you leave for Japan.

BTW, what are the areas you are covering?
Enjoy your trip.

kyl

Shirley,

I din reserve the seats. There are suffient seats when I was there.(not at peak hour I suppose)
But if you are travelling in the early morning, festival seasons or weekends, better check with the train station counter (the one you are boarding). They are helpful people and you can also get a timetable sheet on the day that you are travelling. But most of the time, seats are quite ok.
Btw, just for your information. JR pass (thoses with 7 days,14days, etc) are only avaliable outside Japan and at a lower costs too. So it is the best to get them before you leave for Japan.

BTW, what are the areas you are covering?
Enjoy your trip.

homeangel120

Hi KYL, thanks
happy.gif

I will be travelling to sendai for a conference (stay for 6 nites there), then will stay for another night at tokyo. I m travelling alone (my 1st time), so find it a bit uneasy. I have book the starplaza Ikekuburo hotel, coz find it the most convenient. U stay there before? Any comment? I doubt if there's anybody here went to sendai before? I check the internet, there's really nothing much there
sad.gif

kyl

Hi Shirley,

Have never been to Sendai. so can't help.
Also never stay in Starplaza too. but Ike is a good place to stay and shop too. got a lot of things to see and shop.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
happy.gif

honesty

hi all

i'm oso planning to go Japan F&E sometime in mid OCt. Anyone can advise the following:

1) Is it cheaper to get my airtix from agents in NATAS fair...me not looking for packaged tours, only F&E. Or is it better for me to source for accommodation from website and get the airtix separately?

2) I'm interested in going to Disneyland in Tokyo. How many days is sufficient to allocate for Disneyland? One or two full day? Is it better to get the disney pass here? Since i'm going F&E, how do i get to Disney? Is it very easy to find?

3) I'm interested in going to Osaka, Kyoto and also Hokkaido. They told me to get the JR pass here in Spore cos it's cheaper but i understood that the pass only comes in 7 or 14 days. I can only be there for 10days. How do i go about this? Buy the 7 days one and top up?

4) Would also hope to get some hotel/ryokans recommendation from u all. Any decent, cosy but cheap ones?

5) Any hot springs guide and recommendations? What about the weather?

Sorry for having so many questions....
lame.gif
but hope u all can help!!!
happy.gif

babystar

Hi honesty,

I'm going Japan in nov. Initially wanted to plan F&E but seems quite a headache n so end up i sign up package with Ananda 7D central Japan.We'll fly to Osaka n then to Tokyo and we'll extend 5D from then. Probably explore Hokkaido ourselves.

I think this may be cheaper lor??? However, the risk is that the airline may not allow us to do a deviation.

tamarind

Hi honesty,
The JR pass can only be bought outside of Japan. So you must purchase it in Singapore before you go. If you plan to take the shinkansen, then you should get the JR pass. Just the return ticket to tokyo-kyoto alone will cost almost the same as the 7 day JR pass. You can list down your destinations and calculate the total cost if you buy the tickets separately, then compare it with the cost of the JR pass.

For accomodations you can check out the following website
www.asia-hotels.com
I like this website because there are many unbiased reviews by travellers who have stayed in the hotels.

I am going to tokyo next week and will be staying here
http://www.asiahotels.com/hotelinfo/Shibuya_Excel_Hotel_Tokyu/

If you are travelling alone, the cheapest will be to get a bed in a hostel.

http://www.tokyo-yh.jp/eng/e_top.html

babystar

Hi tobebride,

I sign up with Ananda during their in-house fair. The package price is $1783[include taxes], fly by JAL, 7D Central japan.

I'm travelling in Nov.

R u goin to Japan too? Did u check out NATAS fair?
Wonder if the price was better then.....

kao_confused2.gif

caviarre

hi,
I'm going to tokyo next month too. Any1 knows which is the better way to get to Mt Fuji area from Shinjuku. Bus or train? Is it convenient to carry big luggages along? Any Ryokan recommendation for Mt Fuji area?

do1phin

hi blur blur,

can email me your japan trip iternary & pic? thinking of going there for my honeymoon.

cheers.

icebaby0

I thought of going free and easy.

Anyone can remember the onsen/hotspring that they stayed when they were on Mt Fuji? (not too expensive I hope?)

agesis

Check out www.japan-guide.com. They have a comprehensive list of hotel & rayokens.

For F&E, cheapest ticket that I can find for direct flight is NorthWest. NW only fly to Tokyo & Nagoya. If u plan to visit Kyoto or Hokkiado, u will have to take a train.

Blur blu, can share your itenarities, email [email protected]

ahcapp

Hi,

I just came back from my honeymoon in Japan. We went on a F&E trip for 9 days. I must say my hubby and I enjoyed ourselves a lot. Japan isn't as expensive as I thought it would be. But of course, it definately can't be compared to Singapore.

Language wise, it really isn't much of a problem. We say "sumimasen" and just point as the stuff we want and pay at the store. The japanese people do understand simple english. As to asking for direction, the maps and direction signs in Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto have english. So definately not a problem.

For F&E, we coudn't afford 5 stars accomodation. But the budget hotels which we went to are well-equiped with clean towels, hot water kettle, basic toiletries, shampoo and body soap. The rooms might be small, but they are always clean and decent.

If u are considering if you should go on a tour or a F&E, I would say, don't even consider, just go on F&E. It's definatley more fun! But it does involves some planning.

For me, below is my internery:
Day 1 to 2: Tokyo
Day 3: Go to Lake Kawaguchi (to see mount fuji)
Day 4: Depart for Kyoto
Day 5: Travel around in Kyoto
Day 6: Day trip to Osaka
Day 7: Depart Kyoto for Tokyo
Day 8: Tokyo Disneyland (great place to go to!)
Day 9: Back to Singapore

For my next trip, I will like to spend more time at Lake Kawaguchi to see more of mount fuji. Will allocate more time for Kyoto for more shrines and temples too.

Happy honeymooning!

irene_lim

Hi ahcapp,

how did u guys travel btw tokyo to kyoto to osaka? how much did u guys spend in total? travelling, shopping & maken. do u might to share with me? u can e-mail me personally too.

thanks in advance.

Cheers

kimono

Hi All,
Me and my hubby are planning for a F&E 7/8 days Japan tour. As this is our first time planning for a F&E tour, wouldn't want our tour to be ruin due to our poor planning, would like to gather information from all of you.
Advise needed as follow:
i) Where shall i get the JR pass?
ii) Any recommendation for hotel stay? How does you guys arrange for the hotel stay at different places?
iii) Any recommendation to book our air tix?

We are planning to go during oct with expenses not exceeding 4K.

Your kind advise will contribute to our joyful trip.

Appreciate your help
Thanks in advance

rara

i) You can get it from the JTB office in Takashimaya (Level 4, I think)

ii) Which part(s) of Japan are you going? What is your budget per night for one person? Do you want to stay in Japanese style inn? Western room? or do you not mind budget hotels?

iii) The cheaper airlines are Northwest/Thai/United/Malaysia. You can check with JTB for promotions on travel packages as well.

kimono

Hi RaRa,
thanks for your info. Will go to JTB office to check out.
We are actually interested to go to Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. Hmm am interested in Hokkaido too but know that Hokkaido is not included in the JR Pass and with budget constraint guess will have to go there another time.

We don't mind those budget hotel if it's clean. But preferable japanese stlye inn if they're within our budget lor. We don't mind paying about $100/person/night.

mooniiie

hi rara,

will it be advisable to buy a 1 or 2 day hokkaido tour when i reach there, then the rest of the places f&e?
coz i heard hokkaido not city-like, so many do not speak english

any idea wat is the cost of domestic flight from hokkaido to tokyo?

thks in advance =)

kimono

Hi RaRa,
Thanks for your hotel info. Very useful.
Is it some of the hotel charge by per headcount and some charge by per room. Can i said that if those never state that the charges is by headcount then the rate is definitely charge by per room?
You went to those three places before. I was wondering if 7 days is enough to cover the three places?
Oh ya i had activated my pm.

rara

Hi mooniiie,

I haven't been to Hokkaido myself, but since you're not confident of getting around, day tours are definitely good alternatives.
happy.gif

As for domestic flights, I'm not sure, but again you can check with JTB or other tour agencies to see if they have travel packages available. Sometimes they have promotional packages for just flights/transfers with no hotel stay.

Oh I was just browsing and I saw this website:
http://www.skymark.co.jp/en/index.html

You can use this as a rough guide, but do check out the bigger carriers like JAL and ANA too.

rara

Hi kimono,

Haha, to be honest, I've only been to Tokyo and that was only for a day. I've not stayed at any of the hotels before, but recommended Kadoya to friends and the feedback was it's a small but clean and decent hotel. Moreover it's right outside Shinjuku station.

Well, I feel that 7 days might be a bit rush, and end up with 2 days at each place. My friends spent a week just in and around Tokyo, covering places like Hakone, Yokohama and Disney Sea as well. In Tokyo, you already have Ueno, Asakusa, Shinjuku/Harajuku/Shibuya, Odaiba...

If you're going to Kyoto in autumn, the shrines and temples will look even more captivating in the blazing autumn leaves.

It really depends on what kind of tour you want. Just visit the main attractions? Or to walk around more, experience Japanese life on the street, eat ramen at the roadside stalls, etc etc...

Personally, I feel that if you think that this will not be the only time you'll be visiting Japan, I'd encourage you to split up Tokyo and Kyoto-Osaka. Otherwise, if you don't mind a packed itinerary, you may just want to pick out a few attractions you'd like to visit at each place, which will be workable too I think, since many packaged tours have 7-day tours covering all these places as well.

mooniiie

hi rara,

thank you for your info =)

btw, if we fly to narita airport, do we have to come back from narita also?
or do we have other choices?

or NWA having promo now... $1300 for 2 pax.. cheap?

rara

I think you have to pay a fee if you want to depart from another port. better check with the airline.

I guess the price's about there. At least NWA flies direct.

mooniiie

hi rara,

ya lor seems like NWA only flies to narita and nagoya

for kadoya, do you book online or you stay there as walk-in customer?

accommodation-wise, do you recommend booking online before we go or is it better to book whenever we come across any when we are there?

thks in advance for your help =)

mooniiie

alrighty thank you =)

by the way, wat's the average price of a hotel in japan? or ryokan?
no need to be 5-star, etc... clean can already hehehe

angee

ahcapp

roughly how much did you spend for the entire 9 days. cos i'm planning for my F&E from Osaka to Tokyo

was quite worried on the language part. esp we do not how to speak their language totally...i only know excuse me and thank you in jap...

puppylove888

yes F&E is the way to for japan
it is not expensive as one think
U can find 180 yen ramen in osaka if U realli do ur research well ...or if u dare take their ramen challenge (eat 3 bowl ramen in 15 min and it will be FOC else penalty of 1500 Yen haha)

So far my 1st trip spent 3k for 10 days TOK + OSA + Kyoto trip
2nd trip 7 days TOK onli spent 1.2k include airfare + hotel + food + shopping
happy.gif

Next trip will be Hokkaido during snow festival
happy.gif

s__h

hi puppylove,

i am interested inthe 180yen ramen...can leave that infor such as address here?

thanks

shyantiffy

Tokyo... I've lived there for 1 mth (with S$ 3K as budget)...& have been to a couple of other provinces in japan before solely on F&E...

if u plan to travel between provinces via the shinkansen (bullet train) its advisable to buy the JR Pass...cost of a pass depends on the number of days u'll be using it.

If u wanna have fun juz in tokyo...its very easy to get around with their MRT..DUN PoP INTO A CAB! VERY EX...

Suggestion for shopping...: UENO Station
a nice shopping place! cheap & nice... sometimes when they have sale.. u can get a nice bag for juz 1000yen (around S$15)!!! & many other things!

U SHOULDN'T MISS AMEYOKO right after u come out of UENO station... got 100yen sushi! SUPER nice & fresh!

In Shinjunku.. there is alot of nice & cheap things too...if u r adventurous...go check out their Kabuki cho (red light district) U'll see big billboard of not female whore..but GIGGOLOs'! It was an eye opener for me la...but dun ki siao like me.. i was there alone.. stumble in there by mistake.. kekeke...but was fun...saw gangsters...giggolo..& jap ah gua! Best to have ur partner with ya..

If u think that Harajuku don't have cheap stuffs..U R WRONG! go to this Takeshita dori... filled with hip & cheap clothings!!!! I used to work in one of the silver accessories shop there..hmmm.. wonder my cute jap colleagues' still working there...

Aiyo...I cannot stop the moment i talk about japan...hahaha.. juz wanna share...

puppylove888

S&H
Me not fluent in japanese lah
Just do a web page convert to english or just roughly guess the sentences meaning as got "chinese chararter" mah

shyantiffy

Oh... also to share... hmmm...nowadays... the jap likes to learn english..so if u r lost..approach those young adults they'll most prob be able to conversate abit in english..

& dun be surprise.. nowaday..there are alot of chinese in tokyo...especially if u wanna shop in ameyoko... there are alot of chinese speaking & english speaking pple there...

ekardo

I will be in Tokyo area from July23 to Aug7...

anyone else will be there ? wanna go shopping at Akihabara ? (my wife hates to go there...)

reneylle

hi there..

I'm planning to go either Tokyo or Osaka F&E for 4D3N.. but not too sure which one is better? Any suggestions?? Is the time frame too tight? How is the weather like in July?

Thanks

zacey

hihi...

is it your first trip to japan? 4D3N can only cover one place and i will propose tokyo assuming its your first time.. there are activities sufficient to cover your time cos in actual fact, you only left with 2 full days...

harajuku, shijuku, shibuya...
meiji jingu
ueno park
tokyo imperial palace(outer region)
asakusa kannon temple...
roppongi

if you have time, hop down to their odaiba park where there are onsens and high tech parks.. interesting...

erm.. disneyland on your plan?? hee...

jul is summer.. so its hot... but not as hot as singapore...
happy.gif

reneylle

hi zacey!

Thanks for your reply!
Yup it's my first trip to Japan..

Yup I plan to visit Disneysea as advised by most of my frens which is much better than Disneyland in Japan..
Do you think I have time at Disneysea?

Did you go there at F&E also? Any hotels to recommend??

Is transport easy in Tokyo?? Taking the trains.. any train pass?

thanks alot!