IPhone user

scopefun

Another one... LOL~

I never used Whatsapp, but if the messages are stored in a central server, you know... to be 'emailed' to users, you can just steal the sim card and load his account in your own hp, then you'd see everything. At least you got to see the new msgs...

you mean the new msgs will send to 2 different iphone with the same account? i dun hv iphone either, so i dunno how to use.

but i see suspicious watsapp msg in his iphone. but it was too long, so i thot maybe it can be forward or emailed out?

scopefun

???

You see, my dear... The whatsapp is merely a silly program on your hp, your hp recognise the account only via the sim card. Which is, if you stole the sim card and operate the program in your (eg) Galaxy, where do you think new msgs will go to?

Whatsapp server only sends to account holder, and sim cards decide who has the accounts...

Simple eh?

I never used Whatsapp, so... how you'd config is not my problem.

miloice

No point to base on hearsays. Each chat solution have their own protocols and policies. To implement a Yahoo and MSN chat, the backend protocol can be completely different even though the usage to the user can be very similar.

Whether it is authenticated to the SIM, I really doubt so. The SIM has standard specifications for its authentication to network such as 2G (SIM) run GSM, 3G milenage (USIM), Milenage is also used for LTE networks. There are further authentication protocols such as GBA in Release 6 of the telecom specifications. I have never heard of any Telecom specifications for authentication with Whatsapp.

https://plus.google.com/s/whatsapp%20security

Nevertheless, I could be wrong. Best to research more. From what I'm reading from a quick search, seems whatsapp sucks in security. Hence, very doubtful it uses the SIM at all for its security. The SIM card doesn't decide anything. When you install the Whatsapp application, it is installed on your smartphone, not the SIM. Only the manufacturer, operator and trusted party have access to the keysets to install anything on the SIM. The SIM only communicate with the mobile through a physical wired connection. With the exception of NFC, you will have the wireless channel for E-wallet solutions readers. At best, the application could be reading off some subscriber data that is not protected from the SIM for its account identify such as the MSISDN.

That lack of knowledge and blind leading the blind is really painful to read.

scopefun

Milo,

Who doesn't know if you download Whatsapp onto your handphone it's that handphone...

But account-wise, it always goes with the SIM card.

You think Whatsapp will recognise your account via your handset ID code?

Which app does that in the market? Name one lah~

miloice

http://techbu.com/2012/07/11/how-to-install-whatsapp-on-android-devices-that-dont-support-sim-card

This article confirmed nothing is done at the SIM to check the account. What happens is, it will send an OTP to your registered number that you enter at the user interface. By, entering the OTP, you confirm you are the having the mobile with you. But you could be receiving and entering it from different devices. No actual security is done on the verification of the SIM or devices at all. This verification is one-time only at installation of the application.

http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/21009863/

Also, you can switch numbers. There are only some countermeasures on the server to restrict frequent change.

miloice

You did not point out... ICCID is assigned for the SIM by the operator while IMEI is for the handset.

scopefun

Milo Meelo,

It's either SIM card or the handset. And the accounts usually (if not ALWAYS) goes with whoever got the SIM card.

For fug I need to know so much???

miloice

Its simple. You don't know what you are talking about.

"The whatsapp is merely a silly program on your hp, your hp recognise the account only via the sim card. Which is, if you stole the sim card and operate the program in your (eg) Galaxy, where do you think new msgs will go to?"

Silly comments that expose your ignorance. Its okie, nothing new really. Just LAUGH as usual.

miloice

did u even read the URL link? If the app is communicating with the SIM, there is no need for user interface to enter your number, the application should automatically verify over the air seamlessly and transparent to the user. The site clearly explains you don't need your SIM card. All you need is to verify with a valid subscription, it can be on a completely different device. The Whatsapp application on smartfone doesn't check the SIM at all. STUPID.

That is why it can workaround for the whatsapp to be installed on SIMless tabs.

But, of cos, u r right as always. Washing your brains with all the soap makes you think so.

simpleman

To answer the TS question:

If you have access to the phone, you can email the the whatsapps conversation But be sure to remove the trail of the email..

And for the record, whatapps only comms with the SIM card/phone number upon registration. Once registered - it is tied in with the phone. Like I have my SG sim card and register a whatsapps account.. when I go to thailand, i put in a thai sim card.. and all those messages are still sent to my phone as if I am using the SG sim card.

So basically scope knows nothing about whatapps and just bullshitting when he should be keeping quiet.

magaz

I cancelled my number but kept the iPhone and I discovered that whenever I had wifi access, I could still use Whats App. And it still shows that it's from that deregistered number...

So yups, not tied to SIM card!

miloice

Integrity clearly doesn't exist in your dictionary.

No one said its big deal at all. You don't always get away with your bullshit talk all the time. I never use whatsapp either. However, I understand technology and bother to verify. It doesn't excuse your lousy assumptions and despite being pointed out still going on with more excuses.

I gave you clear evidence with links, what did you do? Did you bother to verify? No... u made another stupid comment "You are telling me, if you remove your SIM card you can still use Whatsapp? LOL!"

So, its better for you to stop your face saving attempt and just laugh over your silly mistake. its just a simple mistake. Acknowledge it and move on. You are human, you will make mistakes too. Why can't you be a man to just admit it. Stop being such a loser. You like ridiculing others, then learn to laugh at yourself better.

scopefun

Integrity is nothing. What works works, what doesn't doesn't.

Besides, my integrity is still intact when I NEVER said I know about Whatsapp. And... All I did was just making you tell me what you know.

Which line have I confirmed that I know Whatsapp?

Silly milo...

Of cos I am telling you "You are telling me, if you remove your SIM card you can still use Whatsapp? LOL!", then you can confirm with me.

What's wrong, Air Head?

miloice

of cos its nothing to you. its completely reflected in the way you lie all the time. still going on. yawns.

LOSER. the more you attempt to wiggle, the uglier it is. You ran out of soap to wash your inflated pea brain.

What works .... whatsapp without SIM.
happy.gif
What doesn't work ... your stupid excuses.

clark

fat, ugly and like to stalk pple MILO,

the more you attempt to raise yr arms, the smellier your BO becomes.

DAMN STINKO

scopefun

Lie?

LOL~

Tell me, quote me an infamous lie or mine in this thread?

LOL~

Why do I need to give excuse? Something's wrong with your brain again? LOL~

tomasulu

100+ girlfriends.

Oh in this thread! Tricky lawyer you. In this thread you're just behaving like an auntie. You know, completely ignorant about something but having strong opinions about it nonetheless.

Why don't you stick to telling lies about yourself?

scopefun

Actually, my fren who used Whatsapp said, the msgs go to the mobile number, and the number is of course the SIM card.

In this cultural deserts, you morons won't even support discussion? LOL~

Lies eh... What if it is real? LOL~

tomasulu

That's right but ts wanted a history of the conversation. That stays with the app not the sim.

Hehe if what you said about your life is real then good for you. but you don't seem that happy... I don't buy it and dont really care.

scopefun

I don't think you even read through the entire exchanges...

If you don't REALLY care, you REALLY no need to talk so much about something you REALLY don't care...

LOL~

Singapore... fugging flooded with morons...

miloice

"Actually, my fren who used Whatsapp said, the msgs go to the mobile number, and the number is of course the SIM card."

Need your friend to tell you how ignorant you are?

Mobiles without SIMs exist for many years in the CDMA network way before existence of SIMless tablets. The number is not equivalent to the SIM card. You don't need to know much but the stolen SIM is nothing more than a useless piece of hardware once its disconnect by the operator on the backend. The number remains completely active, just provisioned for a replacement SIM for the customer.

The very reason why the app needed user to enter the mobile number is because it doesn't talk to the SIM at all. This verification process isn't secure and creditials on the mobile is risky to hacking.

scopefun

Yawnz...

BTW, will be away from this forum for a while.

Milo, if you want to fight on you can whine in my blog.

Actually if I were to send my sis a whatsapp, it'd only recognise her by her number (SIM card). My fren told me, you'd need that number of you and another person to set up connection. The message goes to the holder of the number, hence SIM card.

miloice

you activate your whatsapp with whatever tel number you indicated. As long as you received the SMS for the one-time activation, the application ASSUMES the device is for the number. It has nothing to do with the SIM. You can cut and destroy your SIM. The line can be deactivated and subsequently recycled for a another subscriber as well. The 'number' is merely an identifier just like a userid. You can create many online accounts for various applications specifying your number or any unique identifier. It doesn't become your SIM card. The SIM is completely secured, the mobile and the apps do not have the same level of security. The entire account creation protocol for the application doesn't at all verify that the number entered is of the legal subscriber.

TS could just install whatapp on her mobile and specify her bf's number (assuming its her bf chat history that she wants to access), no need to steal his SIM as you suggested. As long as she has enough time to read that one SMS, she can then take over the account to message to anyone as her bf. The application only recognize the last activated device regardless of what SIM and number you have or its a SIMless tablet.

No one is fighting. Pointing out mere facts.

"Actually if I were to send my sis a whatsapp, it'd only recognise her by her number (SIM card). My fren told me, you'd need that number of you and another person to set up connection. The message goes to the holder of the number, hence SIM card."

Again, your friend tell you. Stop bullshitting rubbish based on hearsay. Everything is provide so clearly liao. Go ahead and insist on your stupidity.

a_reader

This forum is v quiet lately due to too much bragging, boasting, scolding, trolling, profanity, insistence of they are correct all others are wrong, etc. Not much value-added exchange. Many previous regulars stay away and newcomers are scared away also. Guess most people who need some exchange of opinion have moved to Singapore Motherhood and other forums instead. You see less of these nonsense. Why can't everyone use forum as platform for more useful exchange?

ppl_pay

indeed.. i've been a quiet reader and even i can't stand that scope guy..

TS, my personal experience.. i changed my iphone 3gs to 4s. when i haven't cut the sim card to the micro sim (hence sim card still in 3gs), i installed whatsapp in 4s. this requires a OTP (which was sent to 3gs) like milo mentioned.

once authenticated on the 4s, i started to whatsapp my frens using 4s, and simcard still with 3gs. hence, for whatsapp, it doesn't link to simcard at all. so long as u hv wifi, and authenticated once, all msgs will be sent to the last device that u've entered the OTP.

hence, do note that if u were to do that, means all future whatsapp will go to ur phone, and not ur bf/hb's phone. unless u use his phone to activate the whatsapp again.

gd luck!

tomasulu

Lost in this thread is the ethics or morality of trying to gain (illegal?) access to someone else's private conversations. I'm not sure we should be enabling her.

miloice

Simple... use a spade and dig the shit from your WC. your expertise.

Alternatively, soak your brains with soap as scope suggested.

oh, like tat very risky.. too many steps will leave a trace..

i wish to gather as much info as i can before confront him..

if email.. need to clear what email history?

can watsapp msg be used as evidence to sue him?

wm_910

???

You see, my dear... The whatsapp is merely a silly program on your hp, your hp recognise the account only via the sim card. Which is, if you stole the sim card and operate the program in your (eg) Galaxy, where do you think new msgs will go to?

Whatsapp server only sends to account holder, and sim cards decide who has the accounts...

Simple eh?

I never used Whatsapp, so... how you'd config is not my problem.

None iPhone user giving advice on whatsapp Haha whatsapp server send to account holder. Lol

life_is

Need to have either a backup software or browser installed on that phone. Once that is done, it may be possible to get data out. Need to have access to that phone. Unless you know someone who knows how to program spyware apps to send data to a server somewhere. That will require hiding the software from sight as well, so it may be masked as some kind of 'system' process with typical misleading names on the process id. If it's an iPhone it will be tricky without jailbreaking due to Apple's developer policies.

Backup software - obtains an image of the storage in the phone at the point of backup. If you have the same model, you can essentially clone the status as is. Need the phone for a substantial amount of time to backup and do file transfer.

Browser - first you need to figure out where the whatsapp chat history data is stored, the data format, encryption etc. Depending on the phone model, it may be simple to just plug in USB to laptop and copy and paste the data files onto the laptop. Figure out how to decrypt the data files and you will have the chat history.

The chat history is definitely stored somewhere on the phone, otherwise the chat history will take forever to load when the signal strength is bad.

Not an iPhone user, so may not know how to do this for sure, so some digging in tech forums may help. Easier to access Android phones.