Intercontinental Singapore

bernard

Do any of you guys have comments on the food and services at Inter-Continental? It seems that none of my friends or relatives had being to a wedding dinner there before and I'm thinking of having my wedding there.Thanks!

C

chin leng

Hi Bernard,

Hotel Inter-continental has very nice ballroom. It is pillarless and with high ceiling. I liked the private reception area best.

I think the service ratio there was 2 waiters/waitress to 3 tables so it was quite alright. The guests are served and attended to promptly. The food was alright.

As an added advantage to the wedding couple, the hotel will not agree to the requests of guests who asked for raw egg. So don't worry, you won't be asked to have a raw egg rolled from left side of your pants to the right side. :)

Regards,
Chin Leng.

annie

Hi Bernard

I booked with Inter-con for next June. I've been to the food-tasting so i can tell you for sure the food is YUMMY! Check out the Sharksfin soup....mMMMMMMmmmmm delicious :D Also, the banquet manager, Sylvester, is a very nice guy. Very accomodating, very professional. Look at the package and tell him what you need, and he'll do his best to help you. But be sure to bargain all you want with him BEFORE you sign up, it's when you have the most bargaining power. Oh and he'll bring you to see the 'new room' too. Take note most of the bridal suites don't have an adjoining bathroom for the room, except for one. We wanted an adjoining bathroom, so we asked him to book for us. Feedback-wise, two of my friends have attended weddings there, and both told me the food is good.

Hmm...have you gone to see the hotel yet? Feel free to ask me any questions you want, I'll do my best to help you! :)

hwey

Hi! How about sharing with us what are generally the items that they budge when you bargain for them, so that prospective couples can ask for these items too? Thanks!

bernard

Thanks Chin Leng & Annie

I have not seen the hotel yet, trying to make an appointment. BTW, would there be any difference in viewing the ballroom/hotel on a weekday or on a weekend. I'm thinking, if there's a wedding that night, it would be easy to visualise the layout. But on the other hand, would not the banquet manager be too 'busy' to entertain you? Also does the tour includes viewing of the suite?
Thanks!

apple

Hi bernard,
u cld ask sylvester whether there wld be an actual wedding set up on the day that u are going down...i met him on a sat at 1.30pm and the setup for a wedding dinner was already done. They did it early bec' there wasn't any program during that afternoon. Try not to make the appt too late bec' he has got to be around to brief the staff and the groom, I think.

Some couples actually just pop by the ballroom and take a peek...and when they like what they like, then they will call up to make an appt.

C

chin leng

Hi Bernard,

So far, I've not heard of any tour that includes viewing of the suite. However, I really liked the honeymoon suite of Hotel Inter-Continental. It is those old shop house kind and you see the shopping streets of Bugis Junction when you look out the window.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

annie

Hi Bernard

Yes the tour Sylvester will give you does include a tour of the suite, if nobody is staying in it at that time of course. If he forgets to bring you there, you can always request. Remember, you can request to view ANYTHING in the package, provided it is available. I totally agree with what Chin Leng said, in fact, the charm of Inter Continental is the shophouse kind of atmosphere, cozy and intimate setting. Do make an appointment to go down and take a look for yourself, I find it very different from the grand setting you see in other hotels.

Hi Hwey
As for what to bargain, when I was doing my research for hotels, I found that it depends on the individual banquet managers. Some are more accomodating, some will just tell you outright what you want cannot be done. I found Sylvester of Inter-con very accomodating. For example, my fiance's parents wanted to change quite a few dishes from the menu, and Sylvester obliged. We also negotiated on matters such as wine corkage, chair covers, suite location, room decor, among others. In fact, we actually went down to the hotel about 5 times for negotiations before we actually signed up, and all these times Sylvester was very nice. I actually think one of the main reasons we signed with Inter-con is him! ;P I think that the service you get from the banquet manager is very important, if he is not able to serve you well, how would the hotel be able to serve your guests well right?

Annie

chelsea

Hi Annie

I've signed up with Inter-Continental for my Dec wedding as well. I would like to know did you pay for the chair covers & change of menu.

Thanks
Chelsea

annie

Hi Chelsea

Our arrangement with the hotel is that if we reach a specific number of tables, then he would give us the chair covers for free. Menu-wise, we swopped the dishes, trying to keep within the price. Our package has suckling pig for the first dish, we didn't want that, so we changed it. We also changed the dessert, the vegetarian dish, and something else I can't remember :p

What about you?

chelsea

Hi Annie

We'll be having tea recep. So I'm thinking of changing some of the high tea menu and request for chair covers.

And I agreed with you that Sylvester is really very helpful and accommodating. He even agreed to let us use the function room for free to do our tea ceremony :D

Btw, have you seen their new decor?

annie

Hi Chelsea

Haven't got the chance to see their new decor...is it nice? What kind of flowers they use? I remember Sylvester telling me the new decor is even more sophisticated than the old one :O hehehe but then this prob means i got a bigger budget to work with to change the decor ;) Did u get to talk to Steffi's Blooms and Crafts abt the decor?

chelsea

Hi Annie

The new decor is very greenery with lots of leaves. Can't rem seeing any flowers though. As what I know from Sylvester, we need not pay extra for the new decor. It's complimentary. But unless you're requesting for expensive imported flowers.
Honestly speaking, I'm not so keen over the new decor. Somehow its too 'elaborate' for our church wedding.

annie

Hi Chelsea

:O huh no flowers?! Won't that look weird? I'm intending to change the entire decor, not just adding on, but changing the whole concept, so that it would go with my color scheme. But I know I haf to discuss this in detail with Steffi. Did u see the pic or the actual setup?

chelsea

No I did not. Due to budget constraint, I'm not going to pay extra for the decor.

I think there're some flowers in the new decor, but because there're simply too many leaves, the flowers are not so outstanding.

Have u decide on the colour of your table cloth. It's either white or yellow?

Btw, when's your big day?

annie

Hi Chelsea

My wedding day is next June 23, so got quite a bit of time, Sylvester said he'll contact us again some time next Feb, probably to discuss the details like table cloth i think. Haf u chosen the invititation cards yet? Are there a lot of choices? Are they nice?

apple

Hi Chelsea,
i have signed up for the tea recept, too! and i am trying to find out how the food at the reception is...is it yummy?? Is there any restaurants in Intercon that i can go to have a taste of it?

btw, they only provide the normal room for the wedding nite, right? Ever thot of upgrading to the shophouse suite?

chelsea

Hi Annie/Apple

There're not much choices on the invitation cards. It's either the traditional red one or the creamy white one. Honestly speaking, the invitation cards are so so only compare with Conrad Hotel which are really nice. But luckily we're not so fussy over that.

No food tasting for tea recep. But My fren has just attended one and commented the food is yummy. So we're quite glad that we chose them after all :D

Due to budget constraint, we're not going to upgrade to the shophouse. We've stayed in their deluxe room before and quite happy with it.

So when's your wedding apple?

annie

Hi apple/Chelsea

I thought the bridal suite is the shophouse suite? I remember the one I saw is one with a mini living room, bathroom and bedroom. Which was the one you all saw?

apple, don't worry abt the food, as far as I know, their food tastes good. I've done the food tasting for the dinner, which is from the Man Fu Yuan restaurant, and I've also eaten at their Olive Tree restaurant, all very yummy :p~~~~ If you really wanna check, can ask Sylvester, he'll direct you to the correct restaurant.

chelsea

Hi Annie

The bridal suite/shophouse suite is only for couple who are having wedding dinner. Deluxe room is for pple like us with only tea reception : (

apple

Hi Annie & Chelsea,
thanks for the comments on the food. Never ate at Intercon before but only heard postitive comments about the wedding dinners & buffet lunches so just went ahead to book. My fiance & I wanted an informal affair so we managed to get the tea recept for sep next year :D

actually didn't "bargain" anything so just took the package as it is...i am glad chelsea said the deluxe room was quite alright :)

apple

Hi Chelsea,
Congratulations!

Do let us know how it goes so I know what to expect next year? btw, as a matter of curiosity, i got it at $40/pax bec i booked this year, did u get it at this rate, too?

chelsea

Hi Apple

Thanks. I've paid $40 for the tea recep as well but I may top up for the chair cover.

I'll keep you posted of my wedding.

Cheers

annie

Hi Chelsea and apple

Congratz! I'm sure ur weddings will be really memorable ;) Inter-conti is a charming hotel :)

Did you take ur pics at the hotel?

apple

Hi chelsea & annie,
can we take pics at the hotel?? for the wedding album? sounds like a fantastic idea, afterall, intercon is cosy & charming....how do we go about it?

btw, i'm also having my church wedding like chelsea and i'm thinking of having the round table seating instead of the church seating. any comments?

C

chin leng

Hi Apple,

Just call up and inform Sylvester of the date and time of your shoot. He needs to send an internal-memo to the staff and security. Call him up early (a week before?) so that the internal memo will be able to circulate to all staff.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chelsea

Apple/Annie

It's not v nice to have round table seating for church wedding. Your guest will feel awkward and worst of all, they may start talking to each other during the ceremony.

I've both church seating as well as round table seating. You may consider doing that also.

No, I did not do my wedding shot at Intercon and I'm regretting it now : (

apple

hello!
very happy to know that we can take wedding pics at intercon. chin leng, know which r the nice corners of the hotel for pics?

as for the seating, i am afraid having two seatings may be too cramp so still considering...don't have to decide too early...still long way to go. chelsea, how big is your guest list? I'm trying to imagine the layout :)

C

chin leng

Hi Apple,

How to describe the different corners? :)

Just find one day and go explore the hotel and find the places you would like to take photos, you can also ask Sylvester for recommendation. The pool side is a good place too.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chelsea

Apple

I'm only inviting 180 - 200 guest. I've seen couple at intercon with 2 seatings and its not cramp at all. That couple has about 20 over tables.

apple

hello,
in that case, i will consider the poolside for photo taking....and mebbe also the 2 seatings in the ballroom.

thanks for the feedback!

M

mq

Hi Annie!

I have just joined the forum and I saw you mentioning in one of your messages that most of the bridal suites in Hotel Interconti. don't have an adjoining bathroom for the room, except for one. Does it mean there have two bathrooms in the suite?

annie

Hi mq

Nope, what i meant was that the bathroom for most of the shophouse suite is not right beside the bedroom, meaning you have to walk out of the bedroom to another part of the suite to use the toilet. Coz the suite is made up of a bathroom, a bedroom and a living room. There is however one suite which has the bathroom right next to the bedroom, as what you normally see in other hotel suites. The reason their suites are structured like this is coz the suites are converted from old shophouses, and they adopted the original construction.

Go take a look at the hotel, it's really nice :)

Annie

M

mq

Thanks Annie! :)

It got me a little worried. I thought the suite is formed by two adjacent rooms which some of my friends got for their bridal suites at other hotels. Will try to make an arrangment to view the rooms.

Are Steffi's Blooms and Crafts the one does the decor? Didn't know we can discuss the decor of the ballroom with them. I have just booked the ballroom with Hotel Interconti. and was glad to find all of you here discussing and sharing your experiences. :)

annie

Hi mq

Glad you booked with Intercon! It's a fabulous hotel isn't it ;))

Yeap Steffi's is the florist for the ballroom decor, I'm intending to discuss with her the details because I have a theme for my wedding, so would want the decor to fit in :) But Sylvester did tell me that the changes to the decor depends on the florist herself, i suppose i'll haf to work within a certain budget, or else I'll need to top up myself. Haven't talked to them yet, will contact them either this month or the next. Did you manage to get a look at the bridal suite?

M

mq

Hi Annie

Haven't got the chance to look at the bridal suite. Will need to make arrangement with Sylvester. From what you have decribe and I've viewed some pictures from their web page, I'm sure it's going to be nice.:) My wedding is held end of this year so I'll still have a little more time.

Does Sylvester need to be informed when you have discussion with Steffi? Do you have the address and contact number to the florist? Wonder if I'm doing all these preparation a little too early.:p

Thanks Annie! :)

annie

Hi mq

Don't think you need to tell Sylvester when u contact Steffi, but did u mention to him that you'll be changing the decor? I did tell him that I'll look up Steffi, and he offered to give me her contact. Anyway, her contact can be found at
http://www.stefii.com.sg/
I think it is definitely not too early for u to book the banquet now, but maybe u'd like to wait a while before u speak to the florist, in case she forgets :p

Annie

doreen

Hi Annie, mq
Just to update you, Sylvester is no longer the banquet manager. He has left intercontinental. The new guy is Ernie. I've booked with intercon this January. Annie, have you gone to the food tasting and how's the food?

doreen

apple

Hi Chelsea,
u still around the forum??
happy.gif
any updates on your tea reception? I am trying to find out abt the sound system.

chelsea

Yes I'm back....as long as you need me
happy.gif

Well, my tea reception turns up very well except for some complaint on the food. But I can't comment as I didn't have the chance to eat at all.

I love the the ballroom set-up....it is simply beautiful. Believe me, as I was matching-in to the ballroom, it was like "Wow"....I was really impressed!!!

The sound system is okay during the church reception but when it comes to buffet, they've turned down the volumn so much that I could hardly hear songs that are being played.

Hope this helps
happy.gif

apple

hi chelsea!
so glad to hear from you...i have some more qns
happy.gif

- did u have a band or just piano for the praise & worship session?
- u had the church & table seating? did u allocate table numbers?
- what time did the whole affair end?
- the 3-tier dummy cake had one tier of real fruit cake, is it? i was thinking whether to get a real cake for cutting...

i think i will be impressed by the ballroom setup, too
happy.gif

thanks for sharing!

chelsea

hi apple

here are the answers:-
- i had a choir team, guitarist & pianist for the praise & worship
- i had both church & table seating. guests were advised of their table number at the recep
- starts at 2.30pm and ends at 4.30pm - 5pm
- i took away cake cutting

Cheers

kpo

I would say the av. amt for tea recep angpows is probably around $30-$40? So, if you want to cover costs...must make sure you don't spend more than that per head. It's just a guideline...'cos there'll bound to be some who'll give > & some less...or some will come with only gifts.

chelsea

Most of my guests gave me $60 minimum or more. I'm caught by surprise also. The tea recep cost me $40 nett per head.

kpo

Yah...it oso depends on where you are having your tea reception...if you are having it @ the hotel...guests will give bigger angpows...if @ the church...then smaller angpows. I heard that's the case for banquets too...hopefully we can cover costs :p

annie

Hi Doreen

Yup I met Ernie some time ago with the new Banquet manager Pauline. Have yet to speak with Pauline further.

Have gone for the food tasting. It was YUM :p~~ Both parents enjoyed it very much. We just hope it's the same quality on the day itself! ;)

Btw, has anybody seen the new Intercon dinner 'Birdcage' deco? How is it? We're wondering if we shld do up the stage with fresh flowers as well...

Annie