Intercontinental Singapore

apple

Hi Chelsea,
thanks for the info! wanted to post earlier but had problems accessing the forum.

did you managed to get additional carparking coupons free?

any problems/hiccups with the tea reception along the way that u wld like to share?

C

chin leng

Hi Apple,

We apologise for the difficulty you had in accessing the forum. We would appreciate if you can help to provide more info. Please let us know when did the problem occur and which ISP (Singnet, Starhub or PacNet) you were using.

Thanks a million!

Regards,
Chin Leng.

chelsea

Hi Apple

We did manage to get additional complimentary carpark coupons but it turned out to be unnecessary. We still have alot more at the end of the day.

Everything runs very smoothly at the tea reception...no hiccups/problems at all.

One thing to note is Sylvester has told us that seat cover will not be provided for the church seating but eventually, he also throw in for us : )

Oh yeah, my advise to you on food is DON'T pick the satay. Lots of complaint!!!

apple

hi chelsea,
thanks a whole bunch for the info esp the one on the satay! Guess I have to strike it off my menu (as much as i lurve satay!) :D

A

antonia tan

Hi Annie,

I attended my friend's wedding this Jan, and hers was the "Birdcage" design. I thought it was pretty nice, but what I loved was the decor along the aisle. They put floating candles in a transparent blue conical vase (filled with water and flowers). The effect was romantic and warm...

Actually, another girl-friend of mine (wedding this May), and myself have also booked Inter-con (Jan 2002)... Sylvster is really very helpful, sad that he left. Wonder how is Ernie (the banquet sales director)?

Tonia

annie

Hi Tonia

Tks for letting me know abt the birdcage! Did you see flowers for the stage design? Coz from what I gather from Stefii, it doens't look like the the stage has much flowers...we're using the usual posies stands for the aisles, but floating candle design for the tables. I think ur friend added extra money for the blue conical vase rt?

I've seen Ernie once, but I think we'll be dealing with Pauline, who is the new banquet manager. Till now I've yet to speak to her, but I'll let u know how she is once we meet up. ;)

Annie

apple

hi annie & chelsea,
i was thinking of not using intercon's invites...do u gals think they'll let me change it for something else?? like what??

annie

Hi apple

Met up with Pauline on Mon, now I understand why you don't want to use the hotel's invites! It's really...not-so-nice huh :pP

Anyway, just to update all brides who've signed with Sylvester, Pauline the new banquet manager is a very nice person, quite a funny lady too. After my meeting with her I'm assured that everything is under control ;) From what I see, she's a pretty organized person, she gave us a run-down of what would happen from now till our dinner, like what will happen when, what we should get ready, what we should know etc...we got a few useful pointers and advice from her
happy.gif
Now I can really heave a sigh of relief!
proud.gif
Just to let you all know, she would call one month before the dinner to confirm the details such as floor plan, table cloth etc, according to her, that meeting would take at least 2 hours :p She's pretty accomodating too. For those of you who're worried abt Sylvester's departure, do meet up with Pauline. She can be contacted at Sylvester's number
happy.gif

Annie

apple

hi annie,
thanks for the update! *relief*!

as for the invites, did u...er...choose any of the designs? My fiance said it doesn't look dat bad but i prefer to get lovelier ones if i can find one that is within my budget. actually from what i know, most pple wld just discard the card after the event...but, i am the kind that keep lovely cards!

btw, your meeting w pauline on monday was how many mths prior ur wedding??

doreen

Hi Annie,
Ernie is the guy whom we alias with. Can I say he is the one who is overseeing my banquet?

My wedding is in Nov. When do you think they will contact me for the food tasting? Does the food tasting comes first or the invitation cards printing?

annie

Hi apple

Yea I chose the roses and hearts design....bo bian, must save costs :p Actually we were really looking forward to having an 'ang-ang (red-red)' card with a simple gold 'Xi' in the centre, but the one they had was....indescribable. The gold frame is so sala!! :S So we didn't have much of a choice. The thing is, we're already getting a friend to design our church invites, so i didn't see the point in spending more moeny to get nice dinner invites.

My dinnner is on 23 June, so that's abt 3 mths away. But we met up with Pauline just to get acquainted with her, and to make sure the handover was done properly. Kiasu lah
lame.gif

Hi Doreen

Hmm I'm not sure if Ernie is going to oversee ur banquet presonally, coz he's the director, and the manager is generally the one who does the liasing. So my guess is that your file has been passed to Pauline ;) Probably when u booked with Ernie, Pauline wasn't in yet, so Ernie attended to you.

As for food tasting, what I did was to have the session before we actually signed up...coz our parents wanted to make sure the food was good. So I'm not really sure when the food tasting for you would be. Maybe it can be anytime u feel like eating?
wink.gif
Just give Ernie/Pauline a tinkle and they'll arrange for you. As for card printing, we're planning to print them in April, send out in May, RSVP end May/early June, in time for our wedding. Maybe u can schedule something like that? The key is to give yourself enough time.

Annie

apple

hi annie,
the roses & hearts design has a white background, isn't it? So, u also don't think that the beige card is that nice...hehe.

btw, Pauline called us today. *surprise* - what a coincidence. it's a courtesy call to let us know that she has taken over what sylvester has left behind. I took the opportunity to ask her whether there will be new cards coming up...she doesn't think so.

I'll be going Felice Wedding to take a look at their cards.

gold

Hi

I'm having my wedding at Inter-Con. Till not so long ago, I was still apprehensive about having it there. But after hearing from all your comments, I feel so much assured.

One thing I'm not so happy with is that they don't give any FOC 1 barrel of beer and no waiver of corkage. Ok....am i asking for heaven and earth or wat? But i believe the service is pretty good. I've done some events there for work, and they are really quite efficient.

I totally agree that the cards are ;-(....

apple

hi Gold,
great to hear you are having your wedding there
happy.gif

Is ur wedding this year?

As for the corkage charge, i thot it is waived?? I dun have my contract on hand to check but then again, mine is the tea reception, not the dinner banquet.

would annie, antonia or the rest know anything about it??

annie

Hi Gold

My corkage charges are waived with conditions :p Negotiated for it coz it wasn't in the initial package, neither was the free barrel of beer. We took the 'Loving' package, so we had an agreement that if we reach a certain number of tables (erm can't remember the details liao, i tink it was 32 for the beer and 35 for the corkage charge) they'd throw in the deal. Maybe u'd like to speak to Paunline and see if u guys can work out somethin? From what I know, most hotesl charge corkage, but some do give a free barrel of beer, but those probably don't have a pianist or harpist performing ;) So, it's like a give and take situation. In any case, to add to ur confidence in the hotel, their food is yummy :p~~
happy.gif
)

Annie

C

crumpet

Hi!

I'm in the midst of negotiating with Inter-con with regards to my wedding to be held on a weekend in Sept 2002. Would appreciate any advice from people who have booked at Inter-con on what I should ask for. Their package is quite pricy does not include very much, e.g. no free barrel of beer. Do you think I can trade in 1 nite stay for a free barrel of beer?

Thanks!

annie

Hi Crumpet

I believe you are negotiating with Pauline? From my experience with her, she's quite compromising. Have you asked her whether you can exchange things in the package? I think the Intercon package offers a lot of frills (like dinner vouchers, 2 nites stay) but not much necessities (like beer). What we did was to compromise by saying if we commit to a certain number of tables, they'll throw in stuff free. Maybe u can share with us what have u negotiated so far, we can help you think.

oak

Hi Annie, how's preparation? Your wedding's drawing nearer..., in June right?

I tell u hoh, I went for 2nd fitting (the one after the mock-up) and guess wat, I put on weight! cannot button all the way up and my evening bustier is quite tight. I was told to maintain and not put on anymore. oooops, so paiseh.

oh yes, how do you like your studio/outdoor shoots?

do email me at [email protected] so we can share more.

just oak
happy.gif

C

crumpet

Hi Annie,

Thanks for your reply! The package that I am taking is the Romance package, so there aren't any frills like dinner vouchers. Pauline was quite nice, but she would only throw in a free barrel of beer (20L) if I reach a certain number of tables above the min, problem is that I don't think I can reach that number. She also will not be charging me for the seat covers, and the number of dishes for the food tasting will also be increased. Any ideas on what else I can ask for, or how to get her to throw in the free barrel of beer?

BTW, what do you think of the Shophouse suite. I was a bit disappointed when I saw it, not as big as I would like it to be. The Inter-con wedding cards also leave much to be desired, but heard from Pauline that they are coming up with 3 new designs, hope they are much nicer. For such a nice hotel, a bit funny that the cards are not nice!

apple

3 new designs for card?? really? i called pauline on Monday about cards but she said that one of the designs (pair of rings) is currently out of stock. Didn't get to hear about any new designs...

btw, wat do u gals think is the better looking cards at Intercon?

annie

Hi oak

Hahahha...don't worry abt the second fitting lah, just watch wat u eat, not too much oil, sugar etc. and i'm sure u'll be fine...:p when i collected the gown i was told the exact same thing, not to put on weight! :p Hehehheh Anyway how's ur gown?

Yah my wedding coming up...less than 2 months!!! STRESS!!!!! ARGHH...i find that as the day draws nearer, my emotions become more complicated as well....arrghhh...beginning to miss my parents already
sad.gif

My photoshoot session was rather enjoyable...Vincent is quite good at making u relax, so the overall effect is quite good i guess, except i look like i've got such a round face in all the fotos! ARGH this shows that whatever u haf is MAGNIFIED on film! *grumble* :p Will email u soon ;)

Hi Crumpet

Hmm what pauline has offered u (free chair covers etc.) sounds good! I didn't get the free chair covers! *grumble again* As for an extra free barrel, i tink it'll be very difficult, coz we just recently spoke to Pauline abt it also as we were having more tables, but she was quite firm on it, saying it's beyond her jurisdiction...mabbe u can look at what u wld require, and then try to bargain with her on those things?

Geesh 3 new card designs would be GREAT! Too bad i won't get to use them
sad.gif
Apple, from what i see, i can understand y pple rather choose the 2 rings standard Intercon design, coz the other 2 are really 'orbit' :p Actually we were looking forward to having an 'ang-ang' card (dark red color) with a golden 'xi' in the center, but what Intercon has is really not it...the gold border with hearts is so sala!! And the chilli red color is really wrong. So we picked the 2 hearts one, but what we did was to get it redone, we took it to CraftInc.com and had it reworked, so now the card looks nothing like what it was originally :p But of course u haf to pay for the service :p

Btw, does anybody know if we haf to supply music for cocktail??

joyce

Here's my feedback after attending a wedding dinner at Hotel Intercontinental

1. The foyer area is full of pillars and is really squeezy especially when the guests start streaming in. However, one good thing about a squeezy foyer is that the bridal party would have the opportunity to shake hands with each and every guest, as they have no chance to "escape" via other doors.

2. The dry ice effect during the march in is only instituted in the middle of of the aisle. You do you march in in a cloud of dry ice

3. The cutlery looks new and impressive.

4.Couple did not have any special presentations, so can't comment on AV system. Music during dinner was unobstrusive. Lives up to its claim to be background music. The choice ( assuming its was hotel's ) is therefore very good. Mostly instrumentals. Microphones were good, can hear speakers clearly

5. The food portions were huge. Fish was boiled, not steamed, as usual, despite their claims that it was steamed. Ee fu noodles and sharks fin on the bland side. Chicken too salty, but this is personal opinion

6. The aisle , in my opinion is nice and long. 6 topiaries

7. Felt the birdcage setup was quite novel. loved the wedding cake, so cute. 2 topiaries on stage. Stage rather crampy, though.

8.Setting of VIP table can be improved.. looks lacklustre for the price one is paying. Floral arrangement on table also plain for the price.

9.nice high ceiling with lighting that can be adjusted in many different degrees

10. overall a nice dining experience , save for the lack of staff leading to the situation where I found that i had to signal to get my tea refilled. And this situation occured quite a few times.

apple

For those who are interested in the "news", I have just found out that Intercon has a new wedding favour (besides the fruit cake/chocs pralines). Not sure when it started but now they have potpourri in little sachets, with three colors to choose from.

sweety

Hi all

Any more feedback from recent wedding banquet held at the Inter-Con?

Any brides to share their comments on how it went?

I don't feel comfortable dealing with them as I think they are quite snobbish. Any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks!

hazel

Hi sweety,

Who did u liase with?

I was about 90% sure about placing my downpayment, but have recently changed my mind... cos' don't feel quite comfortable after some time...

Anyway, I didn't attend the wedding show.. so can't comment much...

Any date for your wedding day yet?

garfield

Hi Sweety,

Why do you say that they are quite snobbish?? Was it because Pauline seems quite "Bo Chap", unlike Sylvester???

Hi ALL,

Anyone attended wedding dinners there recently? Kindly give me some feedback. Heard that they just changed their chef recently. Quite worried about the quality of food since I'm having my wedding dinner there soon.

sweety

Hi garfield

I have not met Sylvester.
I feel Pauline is polite enough and gave us neccessary information, but I guess I expected more from a person working in a hotel. Meaning being more diplomatic and tactful in dealings and enquires.

If not for a fact you know who she is and where she works, you could never tell she is in the hotel industry, more like a civil servant in the Govt. sector where...this is what is it is, take it or leave it....Please do not mistake that I have poor view on civil servants, it is pretty standard service in this sector. I expect more from the hotel industry.

Pauline is not rude at all. With all the years I have had to deal with hotel banquet/sales/F&B staff in my professional and personal capacity, I am a bit surprised and annoyed. Although one do not show they are desperate for business and curry favour you all the way, any business enquires small or big are taken seriously. Hotels are usually very tactful, because it is a hospitality business!

garfield

Hi Sweety,

I've not met Pauline personally, but have talked to her over the phone a few times. She's ok, but she is not very proactive considering that she's a catering manager. She's the type who answer one sentence kind of person. She doesn't elaborate & try to be more helpful. That's my personal opinion.

sweety

Hi garfield

She is exactly like you said in person! No doubt, she sits there with a smile, that's all you get, not much help. I wonder if she's like that to everyone?

corica

Hi All

If i'm not wrong, Sylvester has already left quite a while ago. Cos he called me lately to tell me he's elsewhere. Hmm...is it the same Sylvester?

hazel

hi sweety,

exactly the same sentiments here... i dun find her rude, but like u, i am expecting more from hotel personnel...

i dun mean to judge anyone's profession ... i juz prefer to deal with someone i can feel really comfortable wif...

sweety

Hi hazel

I do not have any ill intentions or mean to play judge and jury. I just find it strange! For a while I thought it was me or our banquet/biz is too small for her or her establishment.

When's your dinner and where have you chosen for your banquet?

Hi garfield

No worries about the food. I have heard many favourable comments about the new chef from many friends. He prepares very yummy food, but of course for banquets, the time and quantity involved, you have to expect it will not be as good as eating at his restaurant. I am sure quality will be there though! Will you please feed back after your banquet? Please include the set up and staff comments besides the food? Would really appreciate it. When will it be?

garfield

Hi Sweety,

I hope you are rite about the food. Went for my food tasting recently & the food tasted blend!!!
Quite disappointed as one of the reasons why I signed up with InterCon was for the good food.
Yep, will let u know the feedback after my wedding which is in early Dec 2001. But u'll probably only hear from me in mid Dec, after my honeymoon. Hope that is not too late for u.
happy.gif

sweety

Hi garfield

Sorry to hear that the food was not up to your expectations. I believe the new chef just took over in June/July??

We considered Inter-Con for the chef's food as well. We have tasted food prepared by this chef when he was with his 2 previous work place, 1999 and 2000/2001, all our friends liked his food. I have only went to his current restaurant - Inter-Con once in early Sept. 2001 and tried the abalone set dinner. We thought it was quite good though very expensive!

Thank you in advance for your feedback in mid Dec. Congratulations and Best wishes for your banquet and have a great Honeymoon!

hazel

Hi sweety,

my wedding will be in June 2002, have done a tentative booking with another hotel, should be paying the downpayment in a week or 2's time.
I am targeting for at least 30 tables.

So, what's ur decision now? anyway, since i have the same feeling as u do, i dun think u are the cause of the "uncomfortable" situation, dun worry... y not go and explore some other locations if u still have the luxury of time.

For me, I have no choice cos' Pauline told me that someone else is willing to confirm my tentative booking... so i gave up and looked elsewhere.

sweety

Hi Hazel

My FH is quite set on Inter-Con, for the food and location. We set a date for Jan 2002 and started planning only last week of August this year. So obviously there wasn't much choice. We have 25 to 30 tables.

I feel much matter now knowing that I'm not the only one with this type of reponse.... So she is the same with others! Which other hotels did you shortlist?

hazel

Hi sweety,

Sorry to reply this late, anyway, I think i'll most likely sign with Marriot.

My FH and I place top priority on location, particularly on convenience; which explains our choices of InterCon and Marriot, both near MRT stations, thus should be easily accessible even for non-drivers.

Anyway, have u placed deposit with InterCon?

sweety

Hi Hazel

Our first choice was Marriot, same as you, our priorty was location - near MRT and alternative carparks nearby.

We were told to put $5K deposit for Inter-Con and we have done so. Marriot is quite ideal, in our opinion, but date taken up!!!

hazel

Hi sweety,

this is so interesting... to think that we have actually narrowed down to the same choices... wat a coincidence... anyway, I haven't placed my deposit... will have to do in a wk or 2, i guess... if i am not wrong, the deposit is 4k for marriot...

have u signed up any bridal package yet? wonder if our choices are gonna be the same again...heheh... but i haven't really visited any bridal boutique.. veri slow...

sweety

Hi Hazel

I thought to myself, what a coincidence too! If you are planning for June 2002, you could start browsing now for bridal packages, it will take about 3 months for a MTM gown, hand beading takes time!

I have booked Irene's Creation. I visited about only 4 bridal shops and 1 designer. My FH was most impressed with IC. I am using the designer for my ROM cheongsam and possibly another cheongsam for tea ceremony.(if I can decide on the material that I like)

My FH like the gowns at IC, especially the ones with crystals. I am having WG MTM rental and for evening MTM cheongsam purchase. He is very conservative and thinks that for our occassion, the outfits must look elegant and austere, not glamorous or cutey-pie girly. He especially hates those ball gown, long train, busy or fussy details.

Do you have an idea for your WG and EG yet?

diana

Hi Sweety,
read abt yr comments abt Pauline. For my wedding, I actually aliase with Ernie instead of Pauline. Yet to talk to Pauline before.

bunnie

Hi all,

I have already signed up with Intercon.. liased with Pauline some months back.. am getting worried when I hear the responses going around.. My wedding date is sometime next Mar 2002, is there any tips when I should start liasing with Pauline on all the nitty-gritty of the weddings? anything I have to look out for? Thanks for your comments.

sweety

Hi bunnie

I was just relating my experience with her. I was expecting more from a member of the hospitality industry. How was your experience with her? Care to share?

bunnie

Hi Sweety,

I had about 3-4 meetings with her before signing up.. agree with you to a certain extent. She din't really come across as somebody that is very enthusiastic and warm but as I loved the ballroom and heard good things about the food.. I was willing to overlook that.

Anyway, I would most probably call her up sometime Dec to go through what needs to be done as I have not heard from her since I signed up. Maybe it's still too early.. but it's better to just prepare earlier.

Btw, when's your wedding?

sweety

hi bunnie

My FH liked the ballroom, location and the food, so like you, we signed up. Our wedding in Jan 2002. Like I said, she is friendly...just enough, but not enthusiastic and warm like most typical members from the hotel industry.

We are paying a lot for the food, hope it will live up to expectations!