Indonesian Brides!!

hwey

Hi Blue

Yeah, just my luck to have such relatives. What is worse is that I cannot not invite them cos they are my father's immediate relatives - cousins, uncles and aunts (my grandma's siblings) and they grew up together in Indonesia. So my father and his siblings are very close to them.

butterfly

Hi anna,
Welcome!!! So my guess is you're already married? Heheee.. Or not yet? HAaaa.. Hope to see you here more often.

I've also just sent you the link to my pics..

Teatree,
MIA???

teatree

good morning ladies
happy.gif

teatree is back. hehe... was feeling under the weather yesterday.

anna welcome! often see you chatting at the 2005 thread so my guess is you are not yet married. is your husband to be also an indonesian?

i agree that the majority of indonesians are quite reasonable but of course there are some who are not.

rhs

Hi everyone! I haven't been here for quite some time ... didn't know this thread is active again, kekeke ...

Hwey,
Sorry to hear your bad experience with some of your relatives. Not all Indonesians are like that.

BlueAngel,
Both me & my hubby are Indonesians and we had our wedding ceremony & dinner here. There ware about 40-50 relatives & friends from both sides flying in from Indonesia. They booked their own accomodation, and even arranged their own transportation to/from church and dinner venue. They know we're very busy here with no family/relatives to help with preparation. But we gave them a list of useful telephone numbers (taxi bookings, hotels, etc) and print location map of our church to show the taxi driver.

Why don't you appoint someone familiar/have been to Singapore to arrange for the rest? Therefore you only have 1 person to liase and he/she will take care of the others. HTH!

felicity

butterfly
yr pics are so pretty. so natural. nice...
nope i'm not married yet. planning to hold ad only nxt yr..

teatree
my fh family is fm malaysia. but he is s'porean. how abt you gals? teatree? blueangel? butterfly? sorry if i missed anyone out? hwei isit?

hwei
oh dear.. so sorry to hear abt tt. ya not all indo ppl are like dat. guess it varies with individual. but i do notice tt jakarta fashion sense and makeup tends to be over the top. provinces not so bad i think. i dun know if we will hv to provide accom but its not a big deal i guess since it'll come back in ang pow $ anyway...

leeds

Hi teatree,

No wonder haven't seen you around here for a while.
happy.gif
Better now? Rest well ok.

Me still thinking abt SATC. Really really want to watch it leh... Do you think I can get the vcds from indo?

teatree

hi ladies,

anna, my husband is also an indonesian.he's a pr now.

actually, i like indon's fashion more than singapore's one. of course moast know where and when to use the dresses. those super glittery ones are only suitable for artists. for make-up, i agree with you. my make up artist in jakarta put so much powder on my face it felt heavier that day. hehe..

leeds, aiyoh.... really want to help you leh.... if you go to jakarta, can try mangga dua. sells a lot of vcds and dvds, but not original. quality should be quite good.

leeds

Teatree,

I going to indo this weekend. Hope can find SATC in bandung! So excited. Going to fit my gowns too.
happy.gif
happy.gif

ikokezi

Butterfly,

sad.gif
I'm so sorry that I can't come for your wedding day. Coz Oki still busy with his study and try to finish some projects by this summer.
I'm really sad that I can't attend your wedding. But please send my regret & best regards to Ivan & your parents hor
talker.gif

Btw, how is your preparation? Is there anything that I can get from here for you? Coz I don't know what to give you, please don't hestitate to let me know - just email me
happy.gif

Wow I don't know that a lot of Indonesian brides that also come to this forum. Well, nice to know
bounce.gif

Kezia

hwey

(^0^) Hi all. I'm just glad my wedding's over. But I don't know if my brother will be keen to have them for his wedding. Anyway, if the money don't come from me, and my father is happy to foot their bills, so be it. Recently one of them came over and my retired uncle (his brother - who came over to Singapore with my father), had to bring him around. Heard from my aunt this uncle had dim sum at this Chinese restaurant at Paragon everyday and she is upset her husband is paying the bill.

My mum always tell my father his relatives not automatic. Whenever they go over, they have to pay for their own hotel accomodation and all meals, despite reverse treatment here. Well, that's life.

Background : Both my grandparents are Indonesians. Came to Singapore decades ago (my father was 16 then)after a series of racial turmoil. At that time, my father's immediate family came over here using British passports. My grandmother lied to the immigration people that her two youngest brothers are her sons (big family - my grandma who is the eldest is about 20 yrs older). So in the end, only my father's immediate family is here while the rest are still in Indonesia.

butterfly

Hi rhs,
Welcome back! Long time no see. How's married life?

Anna,
Thanks for the compliment.

I thought you were married cos your email add is anna082003. So i thought you must have been married in august 2003. HA haaa.. Whoppssiee wrong guess.

I'm now a sporean. Been here for about 11 years now. So can be called a true blue sporean! HA haa! My family is also here and i met my fiance in church. How about you??

Teatree,
How are you? You going to rusmin's wedding? My dad is going..

Hi hwey,
So you were born and bred in spore ya? Practically a sporean already... Do you still go back to indo?

Leeds,
So lucky of you to be going back to indo this coming weekend. I also wannttttt!!!! =)

Kezia,
HIkss.. Hikss.. So sad that you won't be able to make it.. Hiksss... Come over for a holiday lah! Then can meet up with the others too. Natalia is also not coming cos she would be in canada by then. HIksss...

hwey

Hi Butterfly

So far, I've only gone back once but my father, grandma and uncles/aunts go back at least twice a year.

And to all, don't worry. I don't believe all Indonesians are like those relatives of mine. Just my relatives.

I asked my father how Indonesian Chinese got their surnames but he couldn't tell me. During his time, I think they need not have Indonesian surnames yet, though they couldn't study Mandarin. Anyone can tell me how you get the Indonesian surnames?

rhs

Hi Butterfly! I'm quite busy right now since we're moving to our new house this friday. Packing is a headache. Think we have twice as many things as last time we moved, kekeke ... You leh?

Hwey,
There are a lot of ways Indonesian Chinese choose their surnames. Some choose a name that sounds similar to their chinese surnames (e.g. Oei=Wiharja/Wiguna/etc, Tan=Tanujaya). A bit of my family history (this is according to my mum): there was a time when government required us to change our names, and this made a lot of people to panic. My grandfather had a best friend in his village who was considered 'orang pintar' and he consulted this friend and asked him to choose a surname for his family. My grandfather already gave my mum and her siblings western name when they were born so not much of a problem for them. Only need a surname. And for my dad's side, his brothers chose their own names and in the end they all have different surnames, kekeke. One of my relative even had the same name as her mom in-law!! Panic mah, anyhow choose a name.
biggrin.gif

teatree

good morning ladies,

hwey, like rhs said, all indonesian chinese had to convert their chinese names into indonesian names. for my father's case, he just chose a surname that didn't even reflect his chinese surname.

butterfly, yeah i'm going to rusmin's wedding. why don't you?? then we can meet there. hehehe.... this saturday right? *hhmm.... thinking of what i should wear*

leeds, ooooo don't forget to take pictures yah? must show me your dresses! are you going to bring them back to singapore?

leeds

Good morning ladies.

Teatree, will definitely take pics and show you all cos I need comments too! aiyah I'm very excited abt it hope they turn out nice! Yah will be bringing them back to SG cos I wont have time to go back to indo anymore before my PS. That means everything must fit, cannot gain weight already ah... Wah you and butterfly have a wedding to attend! So fun... can wear one of your many dresses eh. hehe...

Hwey, think what rhs said is the most common way to get a surname. Thats what my father did too, so the chinese surname is the first syllable in the indo name. Quite creative eh...

Butterfly, Oh you been in SG for long time ah? You really like it here? No plan to move away after wedding?

teatree

leeds,

i'm sure your gowns are going to turn out beautiful! all those glittery and intricate beadings will make them so. hehe... must be quite difficult to maintain weight in bandung. the food is is just soooo nice!

when will you be back in singapore?

haha.. yah lor! i'm so vain. last night was looking through my closet for something to wear. more or less decided. but it's not a dress
happy.gif

leeds

teatree,

hehe... we are all vain lah. When i have a party, I will plan what to wear a few days in advance too. So what are you going to wear? Not a dress, pants ah?

I'll be back on tuesday. wish can stay there longer, but so difficult to take leave here. sigh...

teatree

leeds,

some more must conserve your leave for honeymoon. nearer wedding day, surely will have to take more leave. anyway. enjoy your short trip. don't forget to bring back some food for me and butterfly and we can go for outing! hahaha.... just kidding
happy.gif
photos would be more than enough.

yeah, i've got pants and a beaded green top. been persuading my husband to be color co-ordinated but he didn't buy that
sad.gif

felicity

butterfly
;p the 082003 is there cos someone else has taken the name anna.

oh me hv been in sg since sch days. spend childhood in indo then come here when start study...life there more relax.. but i think partly oso because i was a kid then? haha.

hwey
in my case we chose a name that sounds similar to our chinese surname. just anyhow add lor.. haha. those dun hv english name then add to the chinese name oso.

zhane

hi girls..

it's suprising find this indonesian brides.
happy.gif

i plan to buy my WG in singapore,
anyone recommend me where to buy ready to wear/OTR WG in affordable price?

how bout u,girls?
where d u get ur WG/EG/Tea dress..in singapore or indo?

please advise

leeds

teatree,

haha... i don't think your hubby would be too keen wearing a green shirt!

Zhane,

welcome to the thread! You indon too? Are you looking for a package including photoshoot, gowns, make-up etc or just to buy a gown? There are a lot of bridal shops in SG leh, really depends on your budget.

I'm getting a WG in SG, its a full package, but i'm also making 2 EGs in indo. Hey tell us more abt your wedding, when is it, where etc??
happy.gif

teatree

leeds,

hahah... his favorite color is green
happy.gif
but true lah, the 2 of us in green, the image looks funny even when it's only in my head.

zhane,

can try allure charix. the address is 92 amoy street, if my memory doesn't fail me.

butterfly

Hi leeds,
You're making your EG in indo ah? Is it cheaper? Then how many times do you have to go for fitting? My EG is also not done yet leh. BUt thinking of doing it only with a seamstress, not going to bridal shops. How ah? What do you think?

Teatree,
Me and rusmin are not very close.. Hee.. So i'm not invited lorr.. Hikss..

Hi hwey,
My surname is Gunawan because my dad's chinese surname is Goei. HAhaa.. So my grandpa actually chose a name similar to his chinese surname. LIke that lor.. And sadly, i don't have a chinese name, and i can't speak mandarin. Sad ah?

felicity

butterfly
how come you dun hv a chinese name? i hv one. ;p.. though my chinese not very gd.. speak is gd but read and write rather bad cos i first learn chinese when i study in sg pri sch.. so 1st lesson is horror to me.. still remember my mum even made a pendant for me engrave my name so everytime test i can copy my name fm the pendant... now think back so funny. i learn most of my chinese fm frens cos subsequently they put me in a chinese sch...

yr indo must be rather gd then..mine not gd by now...too long in disuse..besides my family like most medan family use dialect instead..

gunawan is quite common name in indo... ;p

you still studying or working now? in what line?
ask if you studying cos you look so young in the pics..

teatree

good morning
happy.gif

butterfly, hehe... i don't even know rusmin but araz is best friend with him and since araz is invited, i automatically got invited.

for EG why don't you just try getting something off the rack? to MTM takes quite a long time and might not be ready for your big day.

anna, hehehe.... that's so cute! name can be engraved on the pendant. how about the test? did you do well?

hhmm.... i used to have some room mates from medan and they always talk in hokkien. have picked up some words from them but mostly they taught me swear words. hehehe...

leeds

Good morning girls.

Teatree, I made 2 in indo, 1 red and 1 blue, another 1 from my BS here is gold. hehe... so many hor... If i dont use for my wedding, can still be used for other ppl's wedding. I just cant decide which one to wear, so you all must give me HONEST comments ok. Yay so excited!!
happy.gif

Butterfly, I personally feel the workmanship in indo is better than SG, with all those intricate beading, crystals, embroideries etc. This designer I got is used by my relatives too and his work is very good. Price wise is less than 1k for EG, depending on the material and how complicated your design is. I only go for fitting once! This time is the only time lor. Supposed to go twice but i got no time. Hope all will be ok!
happy.gif
If you have the time, you should definitely consider making your gown in indo. If not try Allure charix, as mentioned by teatree. I personally have got a very bad experience with a seamstress in SG so very scared already ah...

felicity

teatree
yup.. we all speak hokkien - different variety fm the hokkien here though so my local hokkien oso not v gd..quite the same as penang.

needless to say i did not do well in the tests ;(

you hv any wedding pics to share?
leeds
rem to show us pics ya?

teatree

hi hi,

lees, wow! you're going to be spoilt for choices. have so many EGs. good investment hor, no need to panic when some friends weddings are coming. hehe..

yeah yeah, evening gowns in indo are not that expensive. if i were to make an evening gown as complicated as those in indo from a singaporean designer think will cost a bomb. but wedding gowns in indo are much more expensive. right leeds?

anna, haha... good thing there's no more chinese lesson. as long as can speak and understand what people are saying, can already.

can leave me your email so i can send the link?

leeds

teatree, hehe..
happy.gif
yup yup for the kind of workmanship and beadings, EGs are cheaper in indo. But WGs are abt 4-5k average, I think a bit expensive lor...

anna, how i wish i can speak better mandarin. sigh... learnt it in sec school, but forgot most of it already.

teatree

leeds, 4-5k sure is expensive. jakarta's wedding gowns are also about that range. but indons do not need to wear EG mah so can splurge on the wedding gown.

you seriously got me really interested to see your bandung designer. hehehe...

hey, what do you think of arranging an indon brides (or ex-bride, like me, so paiseh...) meeting???

leeds

teatree, oh no i keep talking abt my designer makes all your expectations so high! I really dont know how my gowns will turn out, but hopefully he doesn't disappoint me. OK... you gals just have to keep your fingers crossed till i come back then.
happy.gif

I'm on abt having a gathering! Who else is interested??
happy.gif

zhane

hi leeds,

im an indonsn.
i only wanna buy WG in sg.
for EG,i have no idea where to get it,i already search in ITC-mangga dua but still dun find the best one.can i have ur EG's designer name?
and..where d u get ur WG?

my wedding will be held in indo on Oct.for the pre-wedding shot,i also get in indo.i think indo photographers lately,much more better than sg.well..this is my personal opinion lhoo..
happy.gif

teatree,

how bout u..where d u get ur WG?

i also heard many ppl here like Allure Charix, best known for its affordable WG.is it really nice ah?
how bout : MargaretBride,Golden Horse Award,Felline,Santiago,Millan,J&C?
r they good in service & price?

girls, i really need ur recommend & sugestion.
happy.gif

hey..the idea for meeting is good.when ah?

candi

hi girls,
glad to see this thread becomes active again. I'm also indonesian, married already.
It's true that WG in ina is more expensive thus more elaborate, w/ laces, chrystal.

Teatree,
u got the point, becos we only wear one gown for whole day, that's why must be beautiful gown.

Leeds,
when i searched for EG, also found out that spore taste is more simple yet stylish though. Yeap, Indo is more extravaganza, you know ballgown kinda of type, beads. But I like spore's designer cutting, just fit into your body nicely.
Hey, who is yr designer? Have you heard about Ferry, Uung Permana, Se Ping (all are Bandung designer)?

Oh, i miss all the wedding preparations.
Have fun

butterfly

Hi anna,
Such a funny story you have about copying your name from the pendant! HA haaa! Very smart ah!

I came to spore only in pri 5. So the principal suggested that i don't take chinese. Or else, don't know what will happen to me ah! HA haaa! I used to take Mandarin classes too. But till now, don't understand a single word of Chinese. HA haaa! I kind off regretted it though. In Singapore, MAndarin is so important.. HIkss..

I'm now both working and studying. Working as a kindergarten teacher in a church kindergarten and taking a Masters degree in early childhood education. Like that lor... Can be considered young lah.. 22. Heee.. You leh? Are you working? Which line?

Hi leeds,
So good of you to have the chance to go back to indo for the fitting ah.. For me, no choice lah. Have to do it here. HOw sad...

Which seamstress did you use in spore where you had that bad experience? So i know i won't go there.. What to look out for ah? And what specifi things to tell them? If just show the pics enough or not?

Teatree,
Yes i think rusmin and araz are good friends. They started working together in Sunday school at the same time right? I remembered cos i just left sunday school then.. HA Haaa...

Hi Zhane,
Welcome to the thread! I can't give you suggestions on which BS to go to.. Cos i bought my WG from melb.. Sorry dear... BUt i'm sure the rest can help.

Hi candi,
So when was your wedding? In indo or spore?

hwey

Thanks all for shedding light on the surname issue. My grandaunts (children of grandmother's brothers) have surname like Susanto or something like that. Always wonder how they get it. Their Chinese surname is Yong (Yang).

teatree

good morning ladies,

yay this is becoming an exciting thread!

leeds, sure will turn out beautiful lah. just have confidence in your designer. we all here keeping our fingers crossed, toes as well that your gowns will be perfect
happy.gif

when are you leaving for indo by the way? should be today, tonight right?

zhane, i've been to allure before and i was mesmerized by their gowns. too bad i've booked with another bridal. but that time had a crazy thought of buying another wedding gown since they are all soooo nice and most importantly affordable.

now i remember that margaret bride has started selling ready-to-wear wedding gowns, no more packages, so maybe it's good for you to check her out. have never visited her shop so can't comment.

i got my gowns from a singaporean designer thinking that i can save time and money on the fittings. easier mah, no need to book air tickets.

ladies ladies, WANT TO GO FOR AN INDON BRIDE GATHERING???

tanlea

Hi all

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your Indonesian relatives.

Me think I should not stress over the accomodation. My hubby tell me it is money spent ... cannot be avoided one. Sigh, no choice lor. And I am comfortable to hear that most Indo relatives will "return back" in Ang Pow. Hee Hee

Thanks!

Wah, EG in Indo is cheaper and nicer? Anyone has pics to share ??

serenity

hi all,

so surprised to see so many of indo girls here..
i'm also an indo and getting married this Nov in sg. Hope i'm not intruding, wld like to 'nimbrung' and exchange ideas with all the brides-to-be or ex-brides here...

happy.gif

teatree

hi hi serenity,

hehehe... yah lor! there're lots of indon brides here. how's your preparation? going to hold your wedding here or in indon? book your bridals and all? hehe... sorry for asking so many questions
happy.gif

felicity

i oso like the ballgown types... haha. same taste ya? but not those super super big and pong ones la...

butterfly
i'm working too. in a bank. very busy... oh you studying masters in early childhood. are you planning on opening yr own kidnergarten? i hear its a gd margin biz.. ;p

hi serenity ...wave wave..

serenity

Hi teatree,

Initially my parents wanted us to hv a wedding in jkt too, but later changed their mind, my closed relatives will fly down to spore instead. hmm...hvn't really discuss abt who shld pay what...the thot of hving to pay for all the air tickets and accom. freaked me out...do all of u here who had/going to hv wedding in spore has another one in indo too?

Other than the issue above, the preparation hv been quite fun and smooth hee.. cos i heard alot of couples quarelled during this period..but it didn't happened to us so far...phew! hehe...

I'm with Silhouette and booked Four Seasons. Anyone has experience with them?

teatree, u married right? can share photos, if u don't mind?

Hi anna, *wave back! hw's yr wedding prep?

I hv been reading past messages here but got mixed up who married and not..hehe..*blur! This is what i can collate, maybe some of u can help to amend or add.

Married
=======
- delight
- candi
- viancis
- teatree

Brides-to-be
==========
- butterfly
- anna
- leeds
- serenity

butterfly

Hi serenity,
Welcome!! So your wedding will be in Nov? So exciting! Mine will be in july, and now counting down the days already! Haaa! Can't wait!

So are you going to have a church wedding too or just the dinner?

Teatree,
A gathering sounds really fun! Will there be any hols this coming few weeks? Labour day is on sat, so it doesn't really make a difference.. HOw how??? *excited

Anna,
Opening up a kindergarten? HAaaa.. That's my dream lor.. BUt not easy leeh.. NOw there are so many childcare centres everywhere. The childcare that i worked in last time, has actually closed down cos business is so bad.. So it really depends lor.. You want to sponsor my kindergarten ah? Since you're working in a bank, maybe got lobang! HA haaaa!!!

rhs

Hi Serenity,
Welcome, welcome! I was ex-Silhouette bride. Anything you want to know? Who's your designer?

serenity

Hi butterfly,
U must be very very excited, wedding is nearing. Congrats in advance
happy.gif
I believe all yr wedding prep more or less completed? Where r u going to hold yr wedding?

I'll be hving a holy matrimony before dinner in hotel by our pastor. Actually i kinda clueless on this in terms of programme...hmm anyone can help?

How abt u, butterfly? any church wedding? Which church are u attending? Me and fiance attend New Creation Church.

zhane

Hi girls,,

i feel happy, find this thread and can get a long with all of u.

make a lot of friends is good..mah,,
happy.gif
)

since all my wedding preparations will be in indo,,hmm,,guess i visit sg just to find WG & other stuff for wardrobes,accesories,etc
i usually go along Orchard & Bugis.heard Scotts, but seldom go there.
boring actually..but dunno other place better?

looking forward for ur nice chats & our meeting ?
happy.gif

teatree

good morning ladies
happy.gif

serenity, there you have rhs from silhoutte. think she's got rave review about it. hehe... anyway, i've been there once during bridal hunting and they really gave me excellent service. they even suggested that i looked around first!

also, leeds and winny, i think they are with four seasons. that hotel is popular with indonesians ah?

can leave me you email address here so i can send you my photo link?

butterfly, mmmhh. you want to open a kindergarten ah? then i can be the mean principal. hehehe...

yah lor! araz's company (which is your dad's too) is giving him holiday on the following monday. me, still need to go back to work on monday
sad.gif

err.... why not have the gathering, like, on weekdays. i know on weekends some people still need to go paktor-ing
happy.gif
. can you ladies please tell me which days you're free? then i can roughly set a date.

butterfly

Hi serenity,
I'll be having my church wedding ceremony at Orhcrad Rd Presbyterian Church. I met my fiance there about 11 years ago! Ha haaa! Now both of us are attending GRII (Gereja Reformed Injili Indonesia). And we are happily serving there!

I know of an Indonesian family who is attending New Creation Church too. You know Herry? He has a daughter in secondary school. (i think..)

Regarding the program for the solemnization, just consult with your pastor. He usually has the standard procedure. So can't go wrong with that.

Zhane,
Yes yess... Spore lacks those interesting places to go to ya... But these few weekends, i've been so caught up with wedding prep and house reno that we hardly have time to go shopping and really relax. HAhaaaa! What do you normally do on a weekend?

Hi teatree,
Sure.. You can be the principal! Ha haa! Then you must wear specs and carry a cane! Haaa!

As for the gathering, i'm fine with weekday nights.

serenity

Hi

rhs,
my designer is Minda. Confirmed my WG & EG designs already. So far we've had good experienced with them, except that she charged me quite steep (1.5K) for the EG, probably becos of the choice of fabrics and detailing.. How abt u, did u have good experienced with them? Who's yr designer?

teatree,
here's my email addy: [email protected]
Wld love to see yr photos, thanks in adv
happy.gif

Zhane,
hi hi, how was yr WG shopping so far? do u want to buy off-the-rack gown or MTM?

butterfly,
yup yup, we'll follow the standard procedure of the holy matrimony set by the church. but for our case, the ceremony and wedding dinner is one after another and in the same ballroom, we are still trying to find idea how to do the processional & recessional thingy...
1. March in with my dad
2. Holy matrimony by pastor
3. After pastor announced husband & wife, me & hubby will march out..
4. ?? March in again with hubby?? dun want to make it look so wierd.
hehe...any idea? thanks in advance yaaah...

Don't think i know Herry, but i know quite a few indon also attend NCC
happy.gif

How was yr house reno? We've just completed ours, phew! lotsa minor little things to take care..finally it's over, now i can concentrate in preparing our wedding.
happy.gif
Where's yr new homie? Mine is at Sengkang.