I want to save the relationship?

dbthecat

We've been living together for almost 2 years and we were a happy couple. We even planned to get married. As his parents were from overseas, they came for a long visit and lived for some times with us prior the ceremony. They will still be here for another 1.5 months.

My future parents in-law were not very easy to live with, especially the mum, my bf is their only child. They have a high standard and sometimes I felt it's very hard to please them. And when my bf showed any loving action towards me (it can be a simple action like praising me, giving me a peck / kiss at the forehead, scooping dishes for me etc), the mum would look unhappy and sometimes I noticed that she stared jealously at us. I also had a feeling that they dislikes me because I am Asian, my bf is an Ang Moh, so maybe they think I am not good enough for the son.

She always complained about a little thing like the house was not clean enough after I tidied it, about the toilet bowl, kitchen, bedroom etc. She was also very emotional. Worse she would even resort to crying and said I have no respect for her. I admit that I am someone who don't smile a lot, quiet (ie don't not how to sweet talk or please the eldery), sometimes I may have actions or words that may upset them (unintentionally) and I don't know until my bf tells me they don't like this and that etc. But all these are minor things which I think can be rectified especially we've just met and we need time to adjust to each other? Especially I have no experience for being a daughter in-law? But in my heart I really care about them and always try very hard to make them happy. For example one time on the way home and though it rained heavilly, I still felt like getting them something, so I bought the dad his favourite beer and the mum her favourite salad. The dad was happy but the mum didn't even want to eat the food.

My bf came from a broken family. When he was young (in his teens), his father was a alcohol addict (till now he still drinks but at an acceptable level) and he had countless affairs with other women. Sometimes during the arguements the dad would even hit his mum. He has been really strict with him since young that's why up to now he is still 'scared' of the father. When the mum's feeling was down with what the father had done, she would release it on my bf, once she even slapped him continuously. He once suffered but recovered from a very serious depression that caused him the trembling, pale looking face, sweating, sleepless and thoughts of suicide.

After their marriage is shattered, there's no harmony in the family until now. That's why my bf chooses to leave his hometown and be far away. But still my bf make the effort to talk to the mum once every week. My bf always regards her mum as a victim and pities her very much, so he will try to please her.

My bf used to have a good job while I am just a general administrator, so all along he is the one who pays for the basic living expenses like the rent, utilities and food (not including my personal expenses). But he decides to persue a full time studies so he resigned from his work. He told me he had enough savings to substain the living expenses until he completed the studies, so I don't have to worry about it, he also understands that my parents are financially dependent on me. So all along we have been very careful in our spending.

His father learns about our living arrangement and he burst into anger because he says the son has been borrowing money from him and blamed I didn't contribute to help the son. I don't even know about these loans so this make the matter worse!

Ever since the parents came, they always talked bad about me. When he told me about it I was unhappy and felt that he didn't stand up for me, therefore countless arguements started in between us. In long term it hurts our relationship. He thinks I'm not understanding and he has enough, he is depressed and he just wants to get away from this situation. So his solution is to call off the marriage and break-up.

The last few times we met after the break-up, he looked very sad and souless. I tried to save the relationship but he had been very insist to break up. I say if leaving me is a relief, why do you look sad, you should look happy?

He refuses to answer my call / sms / email. I've stopped contacting him to give him some time and space. I am very sad and I really don't know what to do. I don't know if this is the end of our relationship?

ginasjm

Hi db,

If your bf really wants this relationship, he will do all things to make it happen. It also shows his style of conflict management and also honesty about his finances with you.

Move on with your life, respect his decision. If he is yours, he will come back, if not, then let it be. It's beyond our control to 'want' someone in our life.

mum_of_2_girls

Hi db,

He felt sad after the break up was because he felt guilty you were trying your best to save a relationship which he didn't want.

ALl men hate to make a woman he used to love sad.
So the best thing you can do for him is to smile and accept the relationship had ended.

Live a better life without him. That will make him happier as he will not feel guilty for messing up your life.

joiedevivre

At least give him some space until his parents leave Singapore? Then try to contact him again...

I think you shouldn't give up so easily, because your relationship has been happy until his parents came. However, you shouldn't get back together with him so easily either. I think both of you can try to take it slowly and just meet as friends first.

It's understandable for his parents to be upset since, one, he's their only child, and two, you're Asian. It's sad, but inter-racial relationships today still face a lot of pressure.

But so many inter-racial relationships have survived such pressures. Both of you have to work together to make it work. You didn't mention in what ways you were not understanding... but on your part, I guess you have to try to tolerate his unreasonable mother and not make him feel like he has to choose to side with either one of you.

Actually I feel that your ex handled this rather poorly. Has he really managed to overcome his depression? If he is not determined to walk away from his troubled past, he will not be able to give you a happy relationship and marriage.

It must be tempting to blame everything that happened on the parents, but the way your ex handled this, like AvocadoAddict says, tells you something about his conflict management style, which seems to be one of avoidance of pressure and challenges rather than facing up to them.

Couples are supposed to work as a team. You can contact him again after his parents leave to try to salvage things... but if I were you, I would be good friends with him first.

Don't rush into a committed relationship or marriage with him until you're certain that he won't drop you like a hot potato again the next time something like this happens.

cuclainne

i agree with joidevire, your HTB handled this poorly on so many levels ..

first off, he didn't play his role in maintaining good relationship between the ILs and the prospective DIL. secondly, he kept his financial state a secret from you which led to a misunderstanding between his father and you. and now, his solution to the situation is to shut you off.

i am married to an angmoh, and though he's not an only child, he's the eldest and is placed on a pedestal by his parents, and expected to set a good example to his other younger siblings. it's quite stressful to be given that role and as the only DIL at the moment, i have to be able to complement that - stresssssss! :p

my relationship with my husband took off at a fast pace - i met up with his parents a few times when i was in his home country but the next time we met was at our wedding! i think with the timing, it wasn't even possible for them to disagree if they had wanted to .. hahahah.

despite that, i've not had any problems with my ILs though my BILs and SIL didn't know what to make of me at first .. it took them a while to warm up to me and me, to them .. at first i thought it was also because i'm asian but later i found out that they kept me at a distance because they were shy at not being fluent in English to communicate with me.

it takes time to build up a relationship but it needs both you and your HTB to work at it together .. perhaps it would be best to take a step back to re-evaluate this relationship. after all, if you marry him, they will be your in-laws .. can you deal with that? can you also deal with a husband who runs away in face of any difficulties?

dbthecat

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. His parents has left finally last week. It is a torture for me because my life is completely different without him. I try not to be alone and force myself to leave the house to join some religious activities during the weekend to kill the time.

As time passed by, I thought I was recovering and doing well. However for the last 2 weeks I suddenly tumble down again and prefer to hide myself at home. I've been crying uncontrollably and I feel really down. Perhaps this incident is a big shock to me in the beginning, and now I've came to the stage where I begin to realise that it's not a dream but a reality.

He has not contacted me and VS. I start to feel 'awkward' and hesitate to contact him. If I bump into him on the street, I think I would rather take another route to avoid him.

During the days without him, I've done a lot of thinking. Perhaps it was only me who thought we loved each other very much. Just a few days of visit from his parents it's already sufficient to destroy the relationship, so I start to doubt if he ever love me? My best friend says she sees it as a blessing that we break now rather than after we get married. She's glad that I see how easy he leaves me just like that instead of facing the problem bravely or at least admitting his own fault?

The sensible side of me wants me to let it go, bear the pain now and move on. Emotion wise, it has been 2 years, I was there for him when he suffered the depression until he recovered and my love for him is very deep in my heart.

What should I do? Is it still worth it to hold any hope / salvage this relationship or should I move on?

powder

your answer is here... "That's why my bf chooses to leave his hometown and be far away."

u could have been more understanding instead of expecting him to stand up for u. in this whole scheme of things - what does he have other than nagging trouble?

he may be escaping but i may escape if i were him too. i prefer a gfren to just keep quiet instead of making demands of me when everyone else is.

when i am pressed against the wall - my wife gives me triple the space i need. even if she's very stressed handling our 2 kids, she will tell me not to worry at her and just do what i need to do... that's what most women lack these days... when a man is down, u dun give him space but u still need him to pacify and suckup to u.

ginasjm

It's painful, but you still gotta move on. There's underlying issue on his personality too. Don't take it all on yourself. Respect his choice. Since he chose to move on, let him go. If he's happier alone, let him be. No doubt it's painful now, but the pain won't stay forever, it will subside.