I just got Approval from HDB to sell my flat in open market!!

miki24

I’m recently divorced after a long period of struggle. During this process, I was really in a lost juggling my emotional and financial especially on my flat which was only 2 years old. My lawyer told me that it was almost impossible to appeal and sell it to open market as my flat is under 5 years and located in prime area, and HDB will definitely take it back.

At first I thought it was really over for my flat. I and my ex-husband had spent almost 60k for the house renovation and we are still paying for the loan which will take another few years to clear. I’m totally in a lost until a close friend recommended his agent to me who is experienced in this field and have closed a handful of such cases.

After meeting up with this agent, he guided me along of what I should do step by step. He is really patient and sincere, but most importantly, he really knows his job well.

Just last week, I finally received APPROVAL from the authorities that I can sell my flat to the open market!! I am really grateful to my agent for all the help he had given to me.

Now, I seriously wonder what makes my lawyer think that it is impossible. I’m so thankful that I did not just stop there during then.

I’m sharing my piece here hoping this will help those in the similar situation. I just can’t imagine the loss if my flat is taken back by the authorities. If there’s anyone needs any advice, leave message here or PM me.. I can email my agent contacts to you. I believe he will be able to help without any obligation.

^_^

applepie2

Actually there is no need to ask agent for help when come to appeal. The owners just need to write in a convicing appeal letter to HDB and they will access case by case.

In my case, we wrote in to appeal to HDB directly. Alternatively, one's can go to MP under your estate for help as well.

I got my appeal approved too and has sold my flat at a good price.

no_life

I am in the same situation.
Due to divorce, i have to surrender my flat to the HDB because i never meet the MOP...

In what way the MP could help?

What is reason you give in the appeal letter to the HDB?

snoopies

Miki & Anna

Glad that you had solved one of your big headache. Hope your future be a bright one.

Cheers!

miki24

Hi Anna

Yes, I do agree with you that you can appeal to HDB directly by yourself. I only realise this until I met my agent...

I believe, mostly alot of others out there are like me when facing such encounters. I do not have any directions of where to start or how to start… and I am really glad that my agent has been assisting me otherwise I will be so lost then.

Anyway… at the end of the day, you will still need to engage an agent to find a buyer for your flat, so why not seek for advice from a professional. At the end of the day… if suay suay your flat not approved for selling, you dun hv to pay him anything. There’s nothing to lose at all.. but at least making sure that you are on the right track!

It's a huge sum of $$... I feel its safer when guided. At least I'm not risking my chance away.

^_^

applepie2

Hi all :

Just to add, owners can handle the sale of hdb flat themselves if they want to save on the agent commission. HDB do conduct regular seminars of such for owners who do not want to engage agent. I have few friends who handled the sales themselves.

Miki :

There are many unethical agents around. Is good you meet a good one
happy.gif

Silent :

I heard that you can tel the MP your case and they will guide you along with the appeal. Check out with your MP. The reasons for appeal is different cos every case is peculiar to itself. Did you engage a lawyer for divorce ? Maybe they can teach you how to write a appeal letter based on your case.

Dun give up. You never try u never know. Most important u take the first step to write to HDB & follow up from there.

miki24

Hi Dorrina

I had found a lot of useful information in this forum and i am just sharing my case here, hopefully i can help others who is in the same situation.
Last but not least, there are a lot of agents out there, if there are any doubts about my helpfulness or identity, you may source for your own agent. The message i am trying to give is "Dun Give Up Trying".

no_life

Hi Anna,

Thanks. Am about to wrote an appeal letter to HDB after knowing that we will be losting huge sum of money. But don't know how to start...

By the way, i have occupied the flat for 3 yrs and still left 2 yrs to fulfil the MOP.

I intended to sell the flat myself to save some agent commission.

dorrine_79

Hi Miki 24

I am also trying to help others here by sharing with them or bring to their awareness of "what I suspect" abt your post, which looks more like a "hidden advertisement"
happy.gif

lo_mp

Hi, if you need a property agent you can call this number 8188 3133. No obligation. Any enquiries you can call him.

blair

if bought with CPF grant given, if the appeal to sell early is granted, will the grant be forfeited?

smileguy

Miki24
Did you apply for HDB loan or bank loan during your purchase? Did you apply for any grant?

Blair
You can write in to HDB branch office of the estate u live in to check it out..for straight forward case..normally CPF grant will be return back to u..

cocoon

hello, i am not sure if this thread is still alive. but can anyone advise how/who i send the appeal to?
My hdb officer? HDB direct? I tried to send an email to get guidance but no one replied me at all... are they expecting a hard copy letter sent to them? Please advise??

kittenpie

Cocoon, just go to HDB at Toa Payoh central, get a queue no. and meet up with officer face-to-face. they can answer anything on the spot for you.

cocoon

i see. no wonder no one responded to me. i am not in sg, so was hoping to have a clear action plan to know what to do when i get back. nvm then. guess i have to waste $ on a few more trips back....

Thanks May..

snoopies

Cocoon

This is what my friend did.He did not go down to the HDB at all and he got his appeal n approval within a month.

1. Send an official email to HDB.
2. Call them to ask which officer handling your case. Need some tactics here as usually they won't entertain to such calls.
3. After speaking to officer, send official email to follow up on what was discussed.
5. Call him / her every 2 other days to chase. They will only read your email when you call them.
6. You will receive email from HDB if your appeal is successful or not.

Hope this helps.
PS. In order to get approval, your appeal must have good reasons too.

kittenpie

snoopies,

would it help to put in a lot of sob stories like spouse being physically and verbally abusive and having kid suffering in tow?

snoopies

May

It will definitely gain points if your stories sound sad. It will be good if you have some proof or evidence in b&w. Like for him, I think he mentioned that he need to move back to his parents as one of them was sick n attached some recent medical report, together explaining about the financial part.

Think b/w is important as a support. Coz I supposed many pple has came out with too many stories for the appeal.

Huh so is it possible to appeal to HDB to let the owner sell the flat in open market even although it is below the MOP. Then now after each successful appeal to sell the flat below the MOP in open market, will the HDB bar the seller from buying the flat again or not?

I asking is cos our appeals to the HDB for selling our flat in open market although we did not met the specified MOP were rejected thrice and we are at our ends. so frustrating to go down n ask our MP for help again. I am going down to see my MP tonight for appeal.

snoopies

Hi Blur

Guess the appeal is really by case to case depending on what grounds your appeal comes from. For my friend, his flat is under MOP too, I think only 3 years ba, but he still managed to sell off coz of divorce n such.

I've heard from another couple with case is unsuccessful, still married, but moving back to parents house as the hubby always out-stationed (usually up to 1-3mths per trip) and the wife got pregnant n bb just born, need someone to take care of mother n child. HDB denied their case which I guess the HDB might be thinking that they shouldn't sell the house away since both still married and sooner or later, they still need a roof for the family. Thats just my assumption tho~

They will not bar pple from buying flats in the future. To buy new flats, you will need to pay a levy of $20,000 or more, and also you may need to wait another 30mths to be able to apply for new flats (this applies if your sold house is EC or something, can't remember). But of coz, restrictions only if you are buying new flats not resales. =)

kittenpie

Rafflesjay,

do you have a sob story to justify your plea? someone sick? need to financially support siblings? if you are indeed financially burdened, have something to back it up eg. invoices of hospital bills etc. tabulate your combined income and expenses to illustrate your financial difficulties. if you want to spin, spin a compelling story. if you are a bright, carefree, happy young couple with good prospects but just hanker for a bit of discount, who will feel sorry for you?

i always believe in trying ones luck when it comes to things like bargaining. by always pushing for a discount here and there, i have managed to get myself savings. once i slashed the price of a dress from S$150 to S$100. then i got an additional $10 discount for my computer monitor by just asking the customer service officer on the hotline. sometimes no harm opening your mouth a bit and ask. when you really get the discount, the sweet feeling of victory will be sweeter than the discount itself.

miloice

Basically, need to show u r cash poor and financially tight due to unforeseen circumstance. Appealing is reviewed at a case by case basis. Not some lottery for one to come try their luck.

cocoon

hai~ i dont know how it works for u guys, but i sent an official email to HDB, then to my officer in charge of my unit (as per my Hdb records..)

it has been almost a month, no response. if i am not citing divorce but financial difficulties, do they think i am kidding them? else why do they ignore me?

haunting my hdb officer sounds like not a very effective idea le..

jackjoryne

anyone experience writing in to appeal to get ownership of the flat instead of selling to open market when your MOP is not met?

cocoon

update.. sent email, went to meet MP session. In the end did get an official REJECT response.. guess my reason was not strong enough..

ahgoon

hi, would like to seek some advise on EC.
My husband and i have signed the deed of separation. However, i am considering going for a direct divorce. May i know if any one of you know what will happen to EC if divorce happen under the MOP? EC TOP 2 years ago.

Many thanks.

lbk

Any kind soul have template for appeal? Divorce case but unit only3.5yrs old.. please help

Hello!
Not sure if this thread is still alive but was reading through and understand that there were successful appeal to release shares of your BTO before MOP (Separation/Divorce).
We are about 3.5 years into the MOP now, wondering if anyone can advise on how best to appeal?

Thanks in advance!

Hello!
Not sure if this thread is still alive but was reading through and understand that there were successful appeal to release shares of your BTO before MOP (Separation/Divorce).
We are about 3.5 years into the MOP now, wondering if anyone can advise on how best to appeal?

Thanks in advance!
You are divorced or separated? Go to hdb and asked. It is on a case by case basis.

James Ong

Hi any kind souls out there to advise if a divorcee can buy another property (private/resale HDB) right after selling off the matrimonial home which has yet to fulfill the 5-year MOP? Appeal to HDB for selling the matrimonial home within the MOP was successful.

MissShade

Hi James,

Can you advise how to write an appeal letter to HDB for a successful reply. How long is your flat within the MOP when you sold ?

xuzhenfeng

So appeal success ?

Disclaimer clause applied
Terms and conditions apply
Property Agent from singapore
L3 00 92 50K • R0 57 8 10C / Orangetee / Xu zhen feng
Handphone whatsapp text 8279 8327

Leah Lee

I heard from my agent friend that it is base on case to case basis, appeal with strong back up of your reason

Deborah Seow

Oh really, possible to provide the details on appeal? so I can find out more, seriously need help on this thank you in advance

edwin34

I’m recently divorced after a long period of struggle. During this process, I was really in a lost juggling my emotional and financial especially on my flat which was only 2 years old. My lawyer told me that it was almost impossible to appeal and sell it to open market as my flat is under 5 years and located in prime area, and HDB will definitely take it back.

At first I thought it was really over for my flat. I and my ex-husband had spent almost 60k for the house renovation and we are still paying for the loan which will take another few years to clear. I’m totally in a lost until a close friend recommended his agent to me who is experienced in this field and have closed a handful of such cases.

After meeting up with this agent, he guided me along of what I should do step by step. He is really patient and sincere, but most importantly, he really knows his job well.

Just last week, I finally received APPROVAL from the authorities that I can sell my flat to the open market!! I am really grateful to my agent for all the help he had given to me.

Now, I seriously wonder what makes my lawyer think that it is impossible. I’m so thankful that I did not just stop there during then.

I’m sharing my piece here hoping this will help those in the similar situation. I just can’t imagine the loss if my flat is taken back by the authorities. If there’s anyone needs any advice, leave message here or PM me.. I can email my agent contacts to you. I believe he will be able to help without any obligation.

^_^
Hihi Miki.... i am now struggling on the appeal letter to HDB.. Able to seek for your help?