how to close joint savings account

cumberbitch

i broke off with my guy some time ago. we had a joint account previously and he withdrew all his savings, leaving only mine - but the joint account is still open with both our names still there. we are no longer in contact and i want to close our joint account. i threw away the passbook previously. i went to the bank previously and the bank said both parties must be present in order to (1) report the loss of the passbook, in order to (2) close the joint account - i.e. as long as anyone of the holder has the bank book, anyone of the account holder can close the account. however, both must be present in order to get the bank book reissued. anyone has any suggestion on how i may close the account without having to trouble the other estranged party? thanks!

miloice

talking to the bank, you already have the answer. If you would like to appeal for out of protocols, it should also be with the bank. I don't see how anyone else can really help.

cumberbitch

Does anyone have anything useful to share to circumvent the obvious? Can i withdraw out all my savings and then leave it to the bank to deduct and subsequently close the dormant account? The bank told me they will continue to deduct until its deficit - then they will continue the maintain the account at negative balance. i.e. if i withdraw until $3. They will deduct $2 every month. meaning next mth will be $1. following that -$10 for overdraft facility - $2 for min balance so it will be -$11 .. then -$13.. so basically they will never close that account. is it true?

mcpig

Does anyone have anything useful to share to circumvent the obvious? Can i withdraw out all my savings and then leave it to the bank to deduct and subsequently close the dormant account? The bank told me they will continue to deduct until its deficit - then they will continue the maintain the account at negative balance. i.e. if i withdraw until $3. They will deduct $2 every month. meaning next mth will be $1. following that -$10 for overdraft facility - $2 for min balance so it will be -$11 .. then -$13.. so basically they will never close that account. is it true?

But next time when u open an account with this bank they will deduct the deficit off you...

meimei1601

Is the joint acct both to sign or either 1? I would suggest if either 1, apply an at card, withdraw the money to min. Once Ur acct didn't hit the average balance there will b fee charge, once acct is zero, the acct shd be close by itself. However, it depend on which bank u have, some offshore bank will charge u even it's zero balance,.