How to address

confused

Hi hi. i would like to address couple friends by their names instead of "Mr & Mrs ABC" heard that this is not appropriate. can someone please share your views?

i personally feel that "Mr & Mrs XXX" seem formal which i prefer not to but i am also worried that people are offended if i dont acknowledge their marital status.

A

atapic

Nah.. I don't think it's offensive. In fact, I think it's more sincere that u acknowledge the names of both partners on the card. That is wat I did when I wrote my cards for couples whom I know personally.

But when it comes to the partner of some friend who I don't know the name, I'd either resort to writing "Mr & Mrs ABC" or even write ABC & partner/fiance. Kinda sucky, but wat to do lah? No time to find out all the names one by one...

Cheers!

linda

For couple whom I know as good friends, I will write: only their names ie. Andy and Ada

If close only to one partner, then Andy & partner or Ada and Partner.

If boss or superior, then Mr & Mrs Andy Ang. (if boss is guy), if boss is female and you wish to invite her husband, then find out her busband name.

vin

HI Linda,

How about if I just want to invite my friends but not their partner, they are not married yet.. how should I write?

linda

Just put one name only lor.
happy.gif

Close frens I will write 'ANDY'
Not so close 'ANDY ANG'

If you didn't state "and partner" normally they won't bring.

vin

HI Linda,

Thanks... Me just worry that when I just write my friend's name, they will still request to bring their partner or just bring w/o my knowledge

jes

vin

sometimes they will, or they'll even bring their kids along, so what you can do is to rsvp and rsvp, make sure you ask them whether they are coming alone or with someone else.

vin

Hi Jes,

Thanks... cost some of their partners I really don't know them at all...?? and there's a friend partner I don't like and all my others friends dun like as well bcoz if her attitude...

I will just write the friend's name. And Do the RSVP...thanks for your advise

orchid

Hi confused & vin,

Depends on how formal your wedding. also for the more traditional relatives, they prefer to be known as Mr & Mrs. We included surname for all our invites - just to be polite.

For singles: Lisa Ang
For couples who are not married: Alvin Tan & Lisa Ang
For couples where you only know 1: Alvin Tan & Partner

For married couples who are friends: Alvin & Lisa Tan
Married couple friends with kids: Alvin & Lisa Tan, and Christopher

For relatives: Mr & Mrs Alvin Ang
For relatives with kids: Mr & Mrs Alvin Ang, and Christopher

If you don't state "and partner", it's quite obvious that you're only inviting the person. Then when RSVPing, your friend should ask if he can bring. Place in the partner only if you have space.

Same for kids. For us, we include the kids names if they're invited.

jes

vin

what orchid advises you is the ideal situation. but just to remind you again that even you wrote on the invitation card that you are inviting Mr & Mrs only, some guests will still bring their kids along. so i suggest its better to ask them whether they are bring their kids even though you did not invite the entire family, just to avoid the situation of additional seats needed for the kids and jeopardise your seating arrangement on your wedding banquet.

sgblingff

Hi everyone,

Got the same situation with the addressing part.

If I am inviting my ex-colleague alone, and she is married, how should I address her. I do not know her husband's surname. Should I write Mdm. ABC or what?

What about ex-classmates? If only inviting one, then should I write Mr. Mark Lim, Mark Lim or Mark? Same for female too?

sgblingff

I've currently having 3 address options for my ex-colleague (Lim Swee Eng) whom is married, and I'm only inviting her alone.

1. Mrs. Lim Swee Eng
2. Miss. Lim Swee Eng
3. Mdm. Lim Swee Eng

Can we have a vote which is the most suitable to address in the wedding card.

dora

Hi sgblingff

You can't call her Mrs as Lim Swee Eng is her maiden name and not her hubby's name. You can't call her Miss either as she's no longer single. So you are left with Mdm or Ms. For your info, Ms is for ladies who are either single or married.

voice_0229

just my two cents worth contribution, I personally think "Miss" referring to young girl, just like we address young boy as "Master". We should address our friend as "Ms".
happy.gif

joannelps

hi sgblingff
i refer to all the ladies i invited as Ms XXX. and those who are married will be Ms XXX and partner. if i knew both their name will be MR and MRs YYY

orchid

Hi Sgblingff,

Just Ms Lim Swee Eng is enough.

'Ms' means is a woman's maiden name and refers to both married and single women.

annann0709

Hi all

need some help over here as well.

I am going to invite my good friend's parents. However, my friend is married and i have to give a separate card to her parents. How do i address them??

Do i write their cards as per how i write for relatives? i.e. Mr & Mrs XXX??

HELP!!!

minssy

hi annann,

no lah! if the uncle's name is 'tan ah beng'. then just write as 'Mr & Mrs Tan Ah Beng' lah! hahahhahh

minssy

hi annann,

welcome... i think its really up to you whether u wanna make it a formal feeling or a casual feeling.. but i think for parents, maybe a formal one should be cool
happy.gif