How much did your spent on a solitare ring usually??

daan

hi
Just bought my wedding band from goldheart, white gold with a small samall tiny diamond for both rings, cost me only $438.00. Happy with it cos my fren say its nice and cheap.
I dun want to spent too much cos I will be wearing it everyday.....if spent too much on it, heart pain if its get alot scratches.

anna

dolphin48

Hi

I got mine custom made. It depends on what carat, colour, clarity and cut you are talking about.
Mine was a 0.54ct, Grade E at VVS2, H&A cut and it's about $4k.

passbyonly

wat's diff btw grades? and how to choose a quality one?? does the cut affect the price as well? sorry to ask as i a bit mountain turtle?

dolphin48

Hi passby

I'm no expert but from what I read, price of a diamond is dependent on the 4Cs. Namely: Carat, Cut, Clarity, Color. Of cos if you go for the best of all the 4Cs, the price will be sky high.

As you know, carat refers to the size.
As for color, there's a range from D - F, G - I. D - F is almost colorless while G - I is near colorless. But for I, i think you can see that it's quite yellowish under normal lightings. The commercial jewellery shops like SK, Taka usually carry such ranges while the branded ones will carry the better range.

As for cuts, there's many kinds out there. Some are Hearts & Arrow (where you can see the 8 perfect cuts of hearts and arrows under the microsope), Brillant rose etc. It's all about the facets and how perfect the cut is. The more facets you have and the more perfect it is, the more brillant it will be and more costly of cos.

As for clarity, it refers to the particles found in the diamond itself. Sometimes, there's only one or 2 found in a diamond and it depends on the location of where it is. If it's near to the facets and hidden well, then the clarity is good and more expensive.

Hope this sort of answers your qns?
happy.gif

man_tou_bear

To elaborate on clarity:

the best clarity grade is flawless (F) and internally flawless (IF). Next is VVS1 meaning very very slightly included (particles inside) then VVS2, VS1, VS2. If i m not wrong branded places like Tiffany's only have F, IF and VVS1 diamonds. COlour they have is D,E,F. these are the top range diamond and can cost a lot more than those of lower ranges (even though carat size is the same).

Top range diamonds come with certification like HRA or GIA.

miloice

I believe its HRD and not HRA.
GIA is Americian certification. They do not control the source for the diamonds. Their diamonds are laser inscripted. HRD on the other hand only certify belgium diamonds but the serial number is only ink inscripted and will disappear with polishing after crowning it to the jewellery.

If you get HRD, it is recommend to get lose diamonds that are still sealed in the original packing.

Unless u r getting an IF diamond, you should also take note of the location of the inclusions. It is documented on the certificate itself. Inclusions near the center of the diamond are more visible and blocks more light than inclusions that are located near the sides.

It is only rumours that all diamonds some shops are all of a 'lower' grade. They all go through the same certification, check the specs and don't just believe what the sale person tells u. Never buy diamonds with in-house certification.

miloice

Hi passby,

don't need to care whether its almost colourless or near colorless. The best colour u get is D.

A very white diamond costs subsentially more. I paid 1.5 months pay for a D colour VVS1 proposal ring. The shop was offering a 0.5 carot, IF diamond for a few hundreds lesser becos the cut and colour is bad. Rather go for smaller diamond than to settle for lousy cut and colour. Big and lousy diamonds are pretty obvious. When its small, its lesser obvious.

dolphin48

Hi passby

Actually it also depends on what is your budget lah......

From naked eye, you can't tell the diff between D and E and F unless u are an expert. Look around and compare the costs and take note of what the 4Cs are and see which is your priority then u will decide. I have some friends who just go for colour while some just go for size.

moria

my fh got the ring from tiffany.1.13 c D colour ,perfect cut ,it was about 40k.but is worth it .pipl always comment on my ring!

qing22

Hi,

I just bought my diamond ring today.

It is 0.56ct, Grade E at VVS2 and it cost mi $5500.

I am still wondering if I had overspent on the ring as alot f other ppl tell me not to spend so much money on diamond ring

schnauzie

My ring is 1.15ct,G, vvs2 princess cut cost 11k with side stones(0.35ct in total) n customised design. other pple may say it cost 2 much but its a proposal ring so i don care wat pple say as long as we like it ;) just have t live with pple tokin

sellonline1978

Hi all

I like diamonds. So.. here's a bit of a reply from me..

If you are interested, go to this website on diamonds:
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/cert.asp

It teaches you a lot about diamonds.

A few things I read here I thought I would like to just provide my comments:
- Clarity. Usually you have to pay a lot more for clarity. E.g. same colour diamond IF and VS1 is very different price. Honestly, clarity is measured under magnifiying glass and usually our naked eyes cannot tell the diff. Anything VS2 and better is fine
- Colour. Dont let shops tell you that D colour is not common. It is possible to get. Colour makes a lot of difference I feel because our naked eyes can tell the difference btw a D and a G colour.
- Tiffany. Dont get me wrong. I like Tiffanys and I do have tiffanys stuff. But Daphne, it is not true that only Tiffany has F, IF and VVS1 diamonds and D colour. In fact, a friend of mine tried to view a one carat D colour at tiffany and they requested a deposit to view the diamond cos they have to ship it from US. It's crap cos I subsequently reccomended this friend to my jeweller friend.

Anyway, try going to the above mentioned website. It's interesting...
happy.gif

sellonline1978

Oh.. anyways.. to all girls who got their rings.. After you get the ring.. enjoy it. It is always worth the $ cos you deserve the ring. There is no such thing as it cost too much :p

Just remember to enjoy wearing it.
happy.gif

jesdreamz

My proposal ring is 0.31ct, D color, VS2 and H&A cut. Cost my FH $1.6K....
Anyway, just my opinion.. I rather compromise on the clarity rather than the color..U can't see the clarity with naked eyes.. But for color, really can tell the difference betw. a D & G color when u put them side by side..

faithz17

i agree... no such thing as cost too much... ur hubby isn't paying for just the diamond... but it's a token of him wanting you to spend the rest of ur life with him... i got a Celestial diamond (modified round brilliant 73 facets), 0.53 carat, D, VS1, for about $6700... it's ex lah, but it's really pretty shiny compared to other cuts... but heck, i'm worth it! ;p

i wear it everyday also, and even though got some scratches on the ring itself, the diamond is after all the hardest substance on earth... ;)

epyon

I brought my WTB a Destinee 0.35 RB F colour and VS2 at $3000 plus. I was willin to compromise on the clarity as it has little effect on beauty of the diamond (from the naked eye that is).

My WTB and I prefer to spend on our Honeymoon. Cheerz.

kv24

woo...all your proposal rings are soo expensive..your HTB sure dot on you + rich.. envy.. my bf only got me a 0.13 carat ring from soo kee.. cost only $500 after discount.. i choose it myself.. since it got design not the normal 3/4/5 craw shaped one.. and tot of saving for honeymoon better.. not so rich can get big proposal rings/WD and still can afford to go far away HM... hee

dodolet

Well, mine was like bf gave me a budget so I just work within it. I chose a loose diamond of a 0.48ct, D color, 3Ex cut and VS2, of hearts and arrow cut (GIA cert). I could do with an F, but they only have a .48 at D... sigh.. anyway it is less than 2.5k, so it is still within budget..^^.

dodolet

I got it at yuen tung gems & Jewellery.
It is some where in lower delta road.
tel: 62702278.

It is basically a 1 stop factory shop as they do diamond rings, white gold, 916 and pure gold jewellery design and making. They do not have that many ready made diamond pieces though. They usually sell loose diamond and they will cast it on the spot (solatire type only), with about 1hr waiting time as their jewellery caster is in the next room. If you require complex design may need to come back again for collection.

I got my GDL and tea drinking gold pieces from there too.

charming

Hi..there

Normally the engagement ring costs 3x of the man's monthly salary. But it is subject to personal preference.

We got a quite good deal engagement ring. 0.75ct F colour and vs2 cut. The valuation cirtificate is AUD9000... but it was on discount AUD6500 if paid by cash. We got a good deal for AUD5500 That time we were going to spore within a month for holiday therefore we could claim 10% GST tax. So overall only AUD5000...It is a very simple and good cutting therefore it is sparkling.

He put the engagement ring when he asked for my hand from my parents during my graduation dinner. He did not present any more 1 whole set jewellery like a tranditional engagement as we just save the money onto 1 ring only..coz i won't wear that much jewellery.

The wedding band for mine will be eternity ring with channel setting which match with the engagement ring. The channel setting is not that big coz i don't want the band overlaps the engagement ring. He paid for my wedding band and i paid for his wedding band which only a simple plain platinum band.

Hope this helps some of the future bridal

confusenism

i bot mine at around 3k.

0.48 E color VVS2 3x excellent.

the jeweller made it like a tiffany's setting.. price difference 5k at least. lol