Hotel Jen Tanglin, Singapore by Shangri-La

T

tube

Hi! Can anyone give me an assessment of the food offered at traders?

valerie

Hi tube,
I just had my wedding dinner there last month. Most friends commented that the food was actually very good. So don't worry about it. The only complain I had from them was that the waitress cleared the table too soon. They had no time to help themselves to 2nd round of food.

jojo

Hi tube,

I had my wedding there last Dec. According to my friends, they enjoyed the food immensely. They even commented that the sharksfin was served piping hot. They also commented that the service was good. Overall, I enjoyed myself tremendously. Go for the food tasting. My actual day was in fact better than the food tasting we had.
happy.gif

T

tube

Thanks Valerie and jojo! its a relief to here that. i've booked my package with them for this december so hopefully all will go well.

freesia

Hi all!
I'll be having my wedding banquet in June at Traders. I would really appreciate it if anyone could gimme a hint of how strict Traders is with Duty-free liquor.
happy.gif
Thanks!!!

valerie

I actually bought wine from duty free and tore the sticker out. Can pass leh. But liquor no choice have to buy elsewhere lor. otherwise another idea is go find empty bottle of that particular liquor and pour your original in.

freesia

happy.gif
Thanks for your reply! I actually called Traders and they said that they will charge corkage for wine brought in. So I've to buy from them.
sad.gif
Guess I'll make do without the hard liquor and just serve wine upon request.
happy.gif

jojo

Hi Freesia, Yupz...Traders is very strict with bringing in wine and hard liquor...We brought our own hard liquor but forgoed the wine instead. If we were to bring in wine...then they will charge us corkage per bottle...
happy.gif

T

tube

hi... traders offer a 50% discount for food tasting right? not FOC...?

M

marry2002

Hi tube,

Seems that for their current package, Traders is offering complimentary food tasting for 10 person.

jojo

Hi tube...when I had my wedding last year, we had to pay 50% of the table price for food tasting.
happy.gif
Dunno about current package though...but the food is commendable and really good.
happy.gif

T

tube

thanks JoJo glad to hear that. am so worried that the food will not be nice.

jojo

Hi sweetgirl...I held my wedding there last Dec...good food and good service. Generally, everything went smoothly and the co-ordinators really assisted me in alot of things. Felt like it was an entire load off my mind.

I had wonderful reviews from friends and relatives as well.
happy.gif

Hope this sets your mind at ease.
happy.gif

Have fun preparing!!!
happy.gif

sweetgirl

Glad to hear the feedback fr u JoJo
happy.gif

Did you hold ur wedding at the gallery rm or the temasek rm?Who did u liase with?

jojo

Hi Sweetgirl,

I held my wedding at the gallery ballroom.

I liased with jeslyn Chng.
happy.gif
Good and detailed. Also, together with the Manager for the dinner...can't remember his name for now.
happy.gif
heehee...
happy.gif

Basically, the wedding went on smoothly.
happy.gif
Here's to wishing you all the best. By the way, when is your banquet date?

kris

Hi Sweetgirl,
I'm a Traders bride and will be holding my banquet at the Gallery on monday.
happy.gif
Everything so far has been very good, my coordinator is excellent and soooo helpful! My food tasting also went well.
happy.gif
The food's generally very good.
happy.gif

Personally I feel I've made the right choice with Traders!
happy.gif

sweetgirl

Hi JoJo,
I will be holding mine jun nxt yr.
Shd be taking the temasek rm cos small function(abt 18/19 tables only)
Like the new theme with candles very much.
Very romantic
happy.gif

Jus check with you,Did u arrange any transport for ur guest to the hotel?

Hi Kris,
Congras...to ur coming wedding.Must be very excited right now rite
happy.gif

jojo

Hi sweetgirl...nope, I didn't make transport arrangements for my guests. They said that it was easy to find their way to the hotel.
happy.gif
Basically also becos it was near the place which I worked.
happy.gif

Wow...I feel so excited for you leh...the romantic mood must definitely have spurred you on.
happy.gif
So you have one more year to go...heehee...so, have you decided on your bridal boutique? I will be most glad to offer you help in whatever way I can.
happy.gif

sweetgirl

Hi JoJo,
Ya,me signed up with moments in life for my bridal pkg.
Me have nt yet sign up with traders but will be confirming everything after my mom view the place this wkend.

kris

Hi Sweetgirl,
Yea, getting all excited already!
happy.gif
We ROMed last year March and after such a long time finally can see the customary!!!
happy.gif
And yes, the new gold and silver themes are gorgeous! I'm lucky cos I signed up last year before they changed the theme decor and now I still get to enjoy the new setup! I love the floating candles thing too!
happy.gif
And I'll be using the baby grand piano in the gallery!!!

sweetgirl

Gong Xi...Gong Xi...Kris
happy.gif

Do keep us updated after ur wedding,Ok!
So,wc theme u chose?The gold or silver?
Me personally like the gold one.
Does traders have any audio and video system?U know, for slides show of pictures?Or we must cater our own videographer.

jojo

Hi sweetgirl...they provide the audio and video. Based from what I know, they got to source for it from their usual contractors as well, thus, it is very costly to rent from them. My hubby and I skipped the slide show cos it was really not feasible to spend that kind of money. If you can get it from other sources, or borrow it from your company, then it would be good.
happy.gif

S

stups

just wondering whether anyone has tried the buffet menu instead of the traditional chinese menu? hope to hear frm u guys soon...thanks

T

tarsier

hi,

i also thinking of getting the buffet menu. its good to hear that the food at traders is good. confirm that the food tasting is complimentary...

I intending to have dinner in Jan 03...

T

tarsier

Hi,

May i just comment on service of the coordinator(cos havent hold dinner... and maybe not there..)

Ailin is a very friendly and helpful lady... : )
have went to see the Temasek function room, like the layout (for abt 15 tables). cos one side of the room is window... so can have a bit of "view" and all 4 walls...

I will be attending a wedding at traders' grand ballroom in Aug... maybe update u again? : )

snowbelle

Hi Tarsier,

I'm considering Temasek function room but do you think that the Temasek function room is too narrow? Thanks.

pinky

Hi snowbelle,

my wedding is going to be at traders too at the end of this year, dec.

i'm using temasek ballroom, and ya it's abit narrow but at least the foyer is bigger and more private that the gallery. narrow ballroom should be ok if u want a cosy envirnoment and also ur guest can see u clearly on both sides when u march-in which is wat i like abt the place.

my coodinator used to be Juliana but heard she left. so i dunno who is handling my event now. do u all know who is good?

btw, wat is the new theme decor like? i booked early last year without the new theme yet. dunno if i'm entitle to this new theme decor? the candles floating seems like very nice
happy.gif

sweetgirl

Hi Snowbelle,

Jus signed up with Traders for my wedding nxt yr.
I will be using the Temasek rm too.Personally,
I prefer the temasek rm more cos its more cosy for tables up to 19.The whole rm will look very nice & romanitc with all the floating candles lit.
(went to view the actual set-up)

P

pf

Dear all,

I am also thinking of taking traders as one of my options. However, what do you gals think of traders compared to Hilton and Marina Mandarin?
Traders has everything except for its location.
Also the Gallery has an odd shaped walk in and
two big pillars..can anyone share your experience/views? Appreciate any comments
happy.gif

jojo

Hi PF...We had my wedding at Traders in Dec last year.
happy.gif
We held it at the Gallery. The 2 pillars weren't a major problem cos the co-ordinators would be able to arrange your tables such that the guests would not be blocked from view.

The tables are noticably bigger and very comfortable. I held my wedding on a weekday and almost all guests stayed till it ended. They all commented that the food was good and that the servings were sufficient.
happy.gif
Generally got very good reviews for my wedding.

I hope I was able to help.
happy.gif

valerie

Hi PF

Yeah, i do agree with jojo that the pillars aren't too much of a problem. If you dun hit the max table for that room, the co-ordinators would be able to arange the sitting nicely.
Initially i was comparing hilton and traders too. Ended up chosing traders coz hilton's ballroom doesn't look that new and nice. Would have chosen marina mandarin if the price was cheaper.
Did not regreat my decision coz the food and service was excellent. However, have to try hard to bargain for things lah.

P

pf

Thank you gals for your encouragement
have decided to take it up with traders

jojo

Hi Sam...my coordinator was Jesslyn Chng...dunno if she is still there...but she was very detailed and friendly and had really been a great help...can't recall the name of the banquet manager though...he's Chinese and tall and rather fair...
happy.gif
Hope I was able to help in some way.
happy.gif

PF...great to hear that you have finally decided...do have fun preparing for your big day!
happy.gif

sam

Hi Jojo, can I have Jesslyn's contacts so that I can call her or email her? Tks..I have tried to email to Trader's email but receive no response from them.

T

tube

Hi! My co-ordinator was Jesslyn too but she left Traders. My current contact is Rosalind. She's not bad. You can reach her at 68314319.

sam

Tks Tube & All,

I have went down to take a look at the gallery ballroom and met up with Rosalind. She is a very friendly and approachable gal, so I decide to take up the package with Traders, I think the credit all goes to her because she made me and my FH feel so at-ease with her.

The package itself is quite reasonable. However, my only concern is the 2 large pillars...even though Rosalind assured us it will not be a problem if we don't end up having 30 tables.

JoJo- just wondering how many tables you had during your wedding? And also how was the march-in like? Becos' from the look of it, seems like the march in will be quite a short distance to the stage.

sam

Also, I was told that seat covers got to pay about $3+++ per piece and the waiter to table ratio is 1:3. If we want more staff, got to pay about $30 per additional staff...I'm afraid with all these added in here and there...the package amount will balloon up.

Anyone can give comments?

kris

Hi sam,
Congrates to you! I had my wedding dinner at Traders in June. I used the Gallery too. Had 27 tables. It's true that the pillars did not bother people.
happy.gif
The march-in distance is also okay, to me at least, cos my hubby and I were walking quite slowly. The truth is that when you walk down the aisle and you see so many of your frens lining the 2 sides of the aisle, you kinda slow down to wave to them and grin like a silly cat.
happy.gif
I liked the event so much.
happy.gif
And it was over so quickly it was unbelievable.
I must also say that the food was really as good as it was during the food tasting! Very generous servings of everything! Oh, and the waiter to table ratio was also not a problem. My (9 course) dinner started at about 8.20pm and ended by 10.30pm. We had programmes lined up in between as well, but we made sure dinner serving went on even during the piano playing, games etc.

snowbelle

Hi All,

I'm thinking of taking the Temasek room but worried that it might look odd. 'Coz the room is a long rectangular shape (a bit like meeting room), with a table on each side of the walkway. Do you think will it look odd or too narrow for the walk in? Please advise.

Btw, are you gals planning to mingle with the guests at the cocktail area before dinner? If yes, what will you be wearing? WG? Thanks.

sam

Hi Kris,

tk u for responding. You have given me a rough idea of how my wedding will be like if I were to hold it there.

Actually I like the ballroom itself..(of cos' without the 2 huge pillars would be better) becos' it's so different from other hotels' ballrooms which is enclosed within 4 walls. This one has a waterfall view, although not very clear from a distance.

FH and I are also planning for games and organ playing session on that day. Another thing that I thought of now which was also bothering me was the pub right opp the ballroom...was that a hindrance in anyway...actually the foyer area for the recept looks really narrow.

And what if there is another wedding in the Temasek room? Is it on the same floor?

Sorry I have so many qns...but becos' I have tentatively reserved the ballroom with Rosalind and I am hoping to make a decision by then.
happy.gif

jojo

Hi sam...Sorry for responding only now.
happy.gif
I had 24 tables for my wedding...managed to cut down by rearranging the seating arrangement over and over again. The march-in was not a problem...the pillars too didn't obstruct much. Like what Kris said, the march-in was lined with tables at the side and with people waving at you, you wouldn't feel any awkwardness at all. Kinda fun to think back about it now.

Food was great. During my time, the seat covers came free and the waiter to table ratio was 1:2. They changed plates after every course. Mine was also the 9 course dinner...but we took the weekday package.

Foyer area seems narrow especially with the pub opposite it...but...according to my hubby, everything proceeded very smoothly. I didn't go down cos I knew I would end up getting very stressed if things didn't go well...heehee...
happy.gif
I only went down with my hubby when all the guests had arrived and it was time for our march-in.

In fact, like I had mentioned above in the earlier postings...my guests didn't leave until they had finished the last course although it was a weekday dinner. They were impressed with both the food and the service. Needless to say, hubby and I felt the way Kris felt...it was all over too soon. Everything was nicely arranged and properly run...all we had to do that night was to smile and enjoy ourselves. All in all, I had a wonderful experience with Traders.

Your fears and questions are understandable cos I had been through it. However, wedding preps ought to be fun too...so...don't get too stressed, okie? All the best!
happy.gif

sam

Tks Jojo, for reassuring me.

FH and I are more or less "settled" on Traders...just making sure we have covered all areas and are comfortable with our choice...cos' don't want to end up making a booking for it and later we regret our choices...then deposit cannot get back too...
happy.gif

sam

Oh Ya Jojo & Kris,

just curious, do you have any pictures on the actual wedding day that I can peep at? Let me know if it is convenient to share...if need to, I can send you my personal email address...
happy.gif

If it's not convenient, it's alright too
happy.gif

jojo

Hi sam...you can view my actual day photos at the following url...would be glad to be of assistance in anyway...
happy.gif
www.piglet.per.sg

You will be able to see how the ballroom looks like from my actual day B&W photos.
happy.gif

Once again...all the best in your preps...
happy.gif

sam

Tks Jojo, can have a gist of what to expect the ballroom will look like.

I like your studio shots very much, esp the casual theme!
happy.gif