Hong Kong - Hotel & ShoppingRecommendation

rachkev

hi apple,

if u cant get any confirmation, maybe u would like to try this hotel, acesite? me & my family are would be gg 1 wk of apr which is peak in hk. our fav hotel, ashley apts, has increased e rates almost by double during this period. so we hv to seek alternatives. we managed to book acesite at a rate of S$130 (incl. tax) per nite. my sis has stayed there b4 and she said not bad. its a relatively new hotel which started oepration in dec 2006. location is at ladies st, rite besides stanford hotel. rms are quite spacious (20sqm), modern and clean. so much better than stanford (which we really don like) but yet much cheaper lor. off-peak season, they only charge S$106 for standard, S$127 for superior and S$137 for deluxe.

take a look at their website but of cos don book direct:

http://www.acesitehotel.com/Rooms.html

my sis booked thru this website and it's instant confirmation:

http://www.ratestogo.com/SearchResults.asp?inDate=2008-3-22&inWkd=%28Sat%29&lenStay=5&outDate=2008-3-27&outWkd=%28Thu%29&country=Hong+Kong&star5=on&star4=on&star3=on&city=Hong+Kong&hotelName=&suburb=&ShowAll=0&specCity=Hong+Kong&page=2

seagal

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your advice.

Oh dear, difficulty finding toilets?? cham....better stand by some pullup pants for my gal.

On transportation within HK, I have read some people commenting that cabs can get stuck in bad jams so best form of transport is still MTR. True?

joenbby

Hi Ladies,

Think the rates for Nathan is way too steep in Ratestogo. You wanna try asiarooms.com instead?

I'm really confused with the hotels selection. Would you like to comment on Largos, Dorsett Seaview, Stanford, Nathan, Newton and Metropark (former Concourse). There's good and bad reviews for all of them. It's really hard to make a decision. Wanna help?

cheers,
Jo

foreverhappy

hi joenbby

this is my first time to HK. I book dorsett seaview for the first night and the rest of the night i book acesite recommended by Racheal.

Wanted to book largos & Mertopark monkok but both were unavailable on the date i travel.

when you going? I will see what is within my budget and the hotel nearing to the place i want to go at ease.

joenbby

Hi apple,

I'm going end of march. I wanted to book Metropark Mongkok but couldn't confirm on the advertised rate. I'm confirmed for Stanford Hotel located at Soy Street. Heard anything of it?

foreverhappy

Hi joenbby

Yah I heard of this hotel. The rate quote to me is $616 for 4 days on the period that i am travelling. I was told that this hotel is just next to ladies market. How many days u going?

joenbby

apple,

I'm going for 4days 3nites. I booked thru asiarooms.com 3 nites for $450. $616 is for 4 nites or 3nites. that would be really steep for 3 nites...

I kknow the location is good for all these street shopping...I've been to HK several times but my fren is always there (hongkonger) but this time i'm going with my dad so thought it'll be good to hang ard these streets. Think it's 5 mins from MTR...wanted Metropark which is only 1 min from MTR.

What's ur plans for the 4 days?

foreverhappy

joenbby, the rate is for 4 nights.

I think we are too late for the booking therefore not avail for booking for the period we want.

I am flying next week but i have not plan my itinerary yet. stress leh. Busy at work too.

I am more to shopping and eating. what abt u?

joenbby

me too..busy with work no time to plan..luckily been there before so not so stress...more worried abt transport...

i'm only going 4 days..so not much time to do things as well..but planning to go Macau one day...friends ask me not to go Disneyland so i'll drop that...one more day to Lantau Island...so pretty much left only the nites for all the street shopping...shop ard and eat lots...
happy.gif

seagal

joenbby and other mummies going HK soon,

just heard about the flu epidemic in HK and am getting quite worried.

can get a glimpse of the situation there right now from this website http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140274

If you haven't taken the flu vaccine, pls go for it asap. It takes about 2 weeks to take effect. Children under 8 or 9 years old need to take 2 doses (4 weeks apart) if taking for the first time.

We are all going for our flu shots today ... cannot wait already since going next week. Must boost up on immunity by taking vitamin supplements esp for the young ones.

foreverhappy

huh sea gals really har...need to take flu vaccine. But i am going next week leh. not in time le at most dun eat chicken........but the roast duck how....oh no.....

Hi seagals and all, you may want to refer to this page for the ease of mind.

seagal

Apple, my GP advised to take vaccine asap as I am leaving on Friday. Read that protection kicks in about 10-14 days.

seagal

Morning gals.....latest news - primary schools, kindys and special schools in HK asked to close for 2 weeks due to the flu-outbreak.

We are seriously thinking of cancelling our trip. Dun want to go there worry and don't enjoy the trip....sigh.

seagal

hi gals, we are more or less confirmed cancelling our trip.

luckily hotels' side still can cancel with full refund. for air tix, need to pay cancellation charge of S$150 per pax!

no choice lah, better than worrying while there and not enjoy our trip.

seagal

nix77, we have a child and 2 elderly in tow hence our consideration to cancel the trip.

If only 2 of us going, we may not have to cancel.

rachkev

i think it is really not necessary to cancel ur trip. my sis who is there now and my hk fren told me tat things are very very normal over there. nothing to worry abt at all. march every year is a high season for flu virus (even in spore, heard fr e news). it is a yearly thingy and situation is actually better than last yr. e virus is spreading among kids especially sch children and parents are worried. tats why govt has no choice but to close schools for 2 wks.
if u are really worried, then take the flu vaccine
or wear a mask when u r over there.
jus saw fr e news last nite tat they've interviewed a few visitors who jus touched down fr hk and all had e same comment 'its not a big deal', 'nothing to worry abt'.
i was in hk during e bird flu period and when i was there, everything was so normal
tat i forgotten abt e situation & took chicken almost everyday

seagal

it's really a matter of choice. the situation may worsen, or it may not.

school hols = possibly more kids going enjoying themselves at disneyland for e.g. = possibly higher chance of transmission.

the flu shot does not protect against all flu viruses - only 3 strains proposed by WHO. It's efficacy is also about 70% only, as per my GP. It also takes about 2 weeks after the shot to take full effect.

we choose to take the risk averse route lor - dun want to regret if anything really happen. would rather forego the trip now and go maybe during the sale season in Jun! Besides, our hotels will charge a penalty if we cancel too late next week.

joenbby

hi gals,

was a bit worried when i saw your messages...but spoke to dad and he reckon the situation is not that bad yet...can wait and see a few days...at the moment it's just affected 2 kids and apparently both were already sick one with asthma. Kid's immunity are generally not so strong plus it's easy to catch in school..

ask dad to take vaccine as we going in 2 weeks time but he says no. My sis (nurse) thinks vaccine is not 100% too. I guess another option is to wear mask and not eat chicken and goose..haa..

I have frens who are locals...will check with them and post it here asap..really hope to continue the trip..let's hope the condition will be better...
good luck ladies...

rachkev

jus checked wif my hk frens...
it isnt an issue or topic over there...
nobody even talks abt it..life is still very very normal over there...it's a cycle and it happens yearly...
jus tat govt wana take pre-cautions...
he was very shocked tat we are so afraid tat some even cancelled their trip...
but tats us...typical sporeans...we've not face any difficult or big issue...
tats why every tiny minor thing happens, we would be in great fear...

foreverhappy

Hi Xue er I need some help from you.
With regards to the Airport Express Ticket, does the 3 day unlimited trip starts from the point i took the MTR from the airport to the Airport Express line or the day on 1st journey I took to other venue after the trip from airport to the airport line sation.
Thanks.
Need you help as I need to purchase the ticket by tue.

xuer

hi apple

the 3 days unlimited ride will only start on your 1st journey on MTR, not the airport express. you'll take the airport express @ the airport, not MTR.

understand from some sources that it can be used beyond 3 days, but im not too sure if this is accurate...

joenbby

hi gals,

I've cancelled my trip to HK. Dad hear from news and say it's not safe anymore. Even if it's alright there, quarantine will be very serious coming back to SIN. I've cancelled the hotel booking, luckily only charge USD15. No choice la, health more important...moreover we are having our big days coming...so take care and good luck to those continuing the trip. I've diverted to Vietnam, Ho chi Minh...gotta start all the researching againg...signz....

seagal

joenbby, at least u r going swh else. hee.

My hubbby quite busy actually so we are postponing our trip till Jun 08. Sigh... was so looking forward to the trip. No choice lah since it's our decision.

Can I check how much your airline charges you for amending itinerary? UA charges S$150 per tix!

nix77

Morning everyone..

Beside Seagal and Joan, anyone else decide to cancel or postpone hk trip..

Hi Apple when is ur hk trip?

joenbby

seagal

I'm actually living in Aus going back SIN for wedding stuff so plan to have a few days off with dad for travelling...my ticket with SQ has been refunded fully bcos i bought another ticket. As for my dad's ticket, it was claim with Krisflyer pts and then charge me 2000pts which i wasn't really happy about as it was a unforsee situation not within my control. but according to them, that's the conditions so I guess jsut have to stick to it la...a bit bad luck..hope my Vietnam trip will be successful then...

rachkev

morning everyone,

my sis just touched down fr hk.
everything is so normal over there tat she even forgetten abt e flu epid. she didnt even take any vaccine. e virus was spreading among school kids but since schools are closed, everything is under controlled.
joenby, wat quarantine were u talking abt? in SIN or hk?
since my sis has already checked out e situation, we are proceeding wif our trip and she's bringing her 18-mths daughter along as well.
e hottest topic now in hk is e new LV store, 2nd largest in e world. jus opened on fri. heard tat it's few levels. haha cant wait to check it man!!! ^^

joenbby

hi rachel

i dunno exactly what qurantine...i think it applies more to coming back to SIN. Seems like u never know when the situation is gonna get worse or better. But anyway this is really up to individual: luck, health and everything else. I don't really wanna risk it myself cos my wedding coming up in Sep. And my family members are all against it so that's why i reluctantly cancelled the trip. Good that you can still proceed with it...good luck

rachkev

hi joenbby,

fr wat i know, sg has not implemented any quarantine yet. but since u've something more important coming up, then better don take e risk. think nowhere in e world is as safe as spore. we are free fr all these virus, natural disasters, crimes etc. maybe i travel up to hk quite frequent tat i am already immuned to all these stuff liao. there bound to be something every now & then. like in summer, typhoons & heavy rains etc.
anyway, u can always go e next time round.
btw, congrats!!! ^^ ur hubby to be is an australian?

joenbby

Rach,

thanks...we are both PRs here...he's Singaporean too...

i guess there's no point going if my dad doesn't feel comfortable..like seagal mention, dun wan to be worrying and not enjoying during the trip...HK is my fave destination of all time...been there several times...really just wanted this trip for dad so doesn't really matter where we go...

enjoy ur holidays...and happy Easter everyone!!!

foreverhappy

Hmm i also going ahead. I am looking forward to it. hope things is not getting worse.

Rachel u at Hong Kong le?
When you coming back?

rachkev

hi joen,

yup hk is my fav too! ^^
anyway u would be heading somewhere else...
so enjoy ur trip! ^^
and happy easter holidays too! yeah ^^

lili05

Hi LY,
Regarding the re-entry to disneyland, there's no prob. They hv a chop to stamp on ur hand b4 u exit.
Regarding the free shuttle bus fr hotel to the park, the interval is very fast, about 10-15 mins there will have one bus. I can't remember the timing, sometimes the interval will be even shorter.

mystic2451

Hi LiLi.. thank you for your reply.
happy.gif
As I may be away frm disneyland for a couple of hours before I re-enter the theme park, are you aware if the chop will be wash off easily?

lili05

Hi LY,

The chop is like those selling at bookshop, children like to chop for fun that type. You try not to touch water lor. I can't guarantee it will be wash off easily or not.

micky12

Hi all!

I am planning to go HK in Aug or Sept and this is my first time there, will be bringing my 2 kids along. It will be great if you can share with me any itinerary? For kid's sake, disneyland is a must even i been to US n Tokyo one.
Many thanks

mrswang

hi,

anyone have been to hk during aug? can anyone tell me the weather during aug? i heard is tyhoon season. my fren advice me not to go.

thanks

rachkev

hi mrswang,

aug is hot hot super hot. typhoon season is usually during summer betw jul to sept. but then becos of global warming, weather has already been messed up. like typhoon jus bypassed hk & macau 2 days ago and it's only apr now. hard to predict. usually it lasted a day or 2. jus stay indoor like malls, when typhoon hits, everything shd b fine.

brides08

hi there

for those of you who have stayed at stanford hotel. can share your comments on the room, location, security etc?

chuababy

Hi bpgal, I have checked with travel agency, for Hong Kong and Macau, there is no neeed for visa. But for Shen Zhen and Zhu Hai, you will need to apply.

bladers

Hi Ladies,

I am planning to go HK mid year. As I am preggie now, I would prefer to stay in a hotel (modern) with walking distance to shop even best if downstairs and with MTR, can anyone recommend a nice hotel?

Also, can I have names of places I shld visit..?

Can only remember temple st, ladies st, times sq, lan kwai fong..? I am excluding places of interest, so shopping destinations wld be sufficient.