Honeymoon to France? Anyone?

malibu

Hi

Im thinking of going to France for honeymoon this sep05.. anyone been there before? how much will it cost for 2 for 7days? pls advise. thanks.

mayneberlin

Hi,

We went Paris for honeymoon in Jan'05.
We spent around $7k for the trip (including Rome & Barcelona). We did it F&E for 2 weeks.

Personally I like the seine river cruise, it is lovely and romantic (than effiel tower). It is easy to go about f&e with a map, we bought 10 carnet and travel around by metro. Walks along Champs Elysees is breezing...

malibu

Hi Berlin

Thanks for ur reply. sounds reasonably with $7k for 2wks... so u mean u went to Paris, Rome and Barcelonacan... sorry im very bad in geography.. btw wats metro??

can i know which travel agency did u book ur air tickets with? any website u've searched? u muz have plan a very detail shedule before goin.. can u share more of ur intinary with me? sorry for asking too much...
thanks a million!

mayneberlin

Hi,
Metro is their MRT. You can buy them in lot of 10 (10.50euro), which is cheaper than buying single tix (1.40euro). Rome, Paris and Barcelona form a triangle if you see in the map of europe. So it's an easier route to travel. I am also very bad in geography. Hee hee...

I bought my airtix online with airfrance directly and collect the tix at the office. I travel with budget airlines (vueling.com). Cheap tix at abt S$50 from Rome to Barcelona and S$130 from Barcelona to Paris. You may also surf easyjet.com or ryanair.com for alternate routes.

For hotels in Paris, I booked with bestwestern group at www.bestwestern.com, or there are other websites like www.hostels.com, www.hotels.com etc.

Go to www.virtualtourist.com, there are alot of information. You can post your question there and get replies from the travellers quick.

malibu

hi berlin

thanks alot for ur valuable info n tips! btw how's their food there? isit ex? n accomodation?
Thanks!

mayneberlin

Bonjour!

Food are certainly expensive, so are the accomodation (especially during peak season-summer). I choose to go in Jan cos it's winter season and the accomodation is cheaper. If you need a decent and clean place (with attached bathroom) to stay, do pay around S$150 - S$200 per nite for 2-3star hotel. It is good enough.

Food in the restaurant cost at least 20euro per pax. We didn't had our meals in restaurants but we did peek at the prices. We eat cheap at their local food cafe. Our breakfast is at Macdonald's, 1 set meal cost 5-6 euros, not cheap either.

Paris is easy to move around although the metro lines are a bit messy. If you are going for 7 days, perhaps you want to do it on your own. We didn't plan our itinerary, we just grab a map and walk around for sightseeing.

I certainly recommend that you visit the virtual tourist website. There are tons of information on must see, must go, must eat places.

malibu

Hi Berlin

ya not cheap hor... but 7k for 2wks sounds very reasonable.. excluding shopping rite?

Thanks again.

mayneberlin

Yup excluding shopping. I didn't buy much. just got myself a couple of shoes from zara while we're in Barcelona. We spent more on restaurant food in Barcelona cos it's cheaper, still not as cheap as S'pore (Singapore food is still the best in terms of price).

In Paris, if you are thinking shopping, it's only designer items that it's worth buying (compare price in SG). We went Printemps, Lafayette & champs elysees for shopping, it's mostly all branded stuff. Don't expect to be dirt cheap, the price variance from S$50 - S$300 cheaper. Mango and zara is only 10 - 15% cheaper. I don't see anything similar to U2 or Giordano kind of price. If you really must shop, do get a price list in SG and compare.

How I wish I can go again!!!

malibu

hi berlin

in order to shop,i have to save up as much as possible...shopping is never enuf for women..heheh..

will go natas fair and check out on d air fares n package they are having...

Thanks!

peganz

Me just back a month ago... we covered salzburg(austria), rome & venice as well as paris!! We took thai airways at $1156 each....land at london (cos that the place where alot of budget airlines are found) and depart from paris. It open-jaw tix so slightly a bit more pricey.

We spent about 15-16 days in europe and we took ryanair budget airline to transport between cities. the trick is to book as early as possible as the price is usually cheaper. the cheapest tix i got from london to venice cost me sterling 0.49 plus taxes cost only sterling 10plus twenty... of cos if you wan to travel like very soon say in a weeks time, then the tix more ex at maybe sterling39.90 something like dat. So the budget airtix cost $500 each plus accomodation total each we spent about $2500-$2600.

Plus eating, n shopping total we spent ard $4400 each.... we had help for the paris bit cos my fren who is a french helped to source for accomodation n we met up with him for awhile to catch up.

It really so fun to plan on your own n for us the best bit is not just going to visit the must-see places but rather to just hang ard the cool parisian cafes and just see the people (both locals n tourists) walk by.. and yes! i agree with berlin that websites like virtual tourist as well as trip advisor really helps!!

lemoncake

Hi Goldilocks,

Glad to see someone's feedback on Paris trip! I am going there 3 weeks later. May I know which hotel you stayed, hope you can recommend me? Like Berlin mentioned, the hotel is around 150-200, I find it a bit ex. how much is the meal at their local cafe? I budgeted 40euro per day per person for food, is this enough or actually cost less? Thanks
happy.gif

peganz

Wow lemoncake,

three weeks later? dat mean u be there ard 21 June? i heard that 21 june is the longest day in paris, meaning ard 9plus 10pm at night, it still v bright like 6plus pm like dat! lucky u!!

let me go n re-check the different hotels that i have checked out n let u know again...wat your email address?

Everything in europe is expensive (including paris) so food-wise is pricey too. normally, we shui-pian eat for lunch and for dinner we will eat something nice at the restaurants.. so it at least bout euros 30plus per couple. i think your euros 40 per pax will allow you to eat very comfortably..(unless u are in Euro Disney which is really v ex.

Personally i like Monmantre (that near the red light district in Moulin Rouge)... it is not seedy at all n in fact v interesting. A lively n vibrant place.

N also Euro-Disney.. cos other than the heart-popping coaster rides, those kiddy rides will bring those lovey-dovey moments to honeymooners!

starmoon

hi goldilocks

we r oso planning to go to the places u've been...paris, rome and venice in Sep after our wedding. actually i even hope that i can go to madrid but then fh thinks that very rush and oso it will be very tiring to go one round so may skip that out. but those 3 places are definitely on our top list! we are thinking of going F&E and wld appreciate it if u could let me noe more esp. on accomodation. my email is [email protected]
my fren recommended dat i go wif trafalgar tour when i go there...but not sure if we wanna join tour cos we dun like to be rushed. btw, did u bring a tripod stand there? we were thinking of whether to bring it over there so that we can take pics of both rather than just having one of us in the pics but was afraid that the ppl there might just steal it cos i heard dat the crime rate quite high and is pretty dangerous lor.

we were thinking of getting eurorail passes to travel between cities and was wondering if dat wld be cheaper? do u haf any idea? sorry to ask so many questions but really at a loss...thanks in advance.

emmie

Hi Starmoon

We took along our tripod stand on our 2 trips to europe. You just have to be more alert. The locals are more amused to see you setting up the tripod stand and waiting for the picture to be taken.

peganz

okie starmoon,

i will forward u some emails but if u get confused then just ask me on this forum or email me back okie?

lemoncake

hi Goldilocks,
yah, will be there on 21st June, didn't know it's the longest day of the year! but my friend also told me that the day ends around 9-10pm in June, so nice! i can have more time to look around
happy.gif

my email address is
[email protected]
Thank you!

Oh! using tripod stand is uncommon? I am bringing my tripod there too!

starfruit

<font color="0077aa">starmoon</font>: definitely recommended to take a tripod. If u worry that it would be big and cumbersome,take a small one.. cos u just need it to position the camera so that it can take a pic of u and ur hubby together. I didn;t have the tripod with me when i was in greece 2 weeks a ago and i found out after our trip that I only have 6 pictures of me and hubby(couple shot) throughout our whole trip. Most of our pics were either of me only or hubby only and it sure looks like only 1 of us was on the trip.! so i would definitely recommend for u to bring a small portable tripod.

midas

hi littlemay,

u may try tis online site:

www.venere.com

i always book my hotels here when i go europe...it has a postpaid payment policy, tat means u only pay direct to the hotel during checkout..no deduction is made to ur credit card during booking
happy.gif

rtan

Hi Littlemay,

In addition to what midas has posted, you can also try:

http://www.accorhotels.com/

You should be looking at IBIS hotels and upwards. They have a similar policy to venere, no credit card deduction till the first day of the stay. You can cancel before that and they will not charge you anything. As usual, read the terms and conditions carefully.

The following are also useful for your travel research:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/
http://www.virtualtourist.com/

Happy planning.
happy.gif