Hokkaido

xmm

Hello

Anyone who have been to Hokkaido, would you like to advise what are the "must buy" & "must try"?
Also can you please advise if the price in the Rera Chitose Outlet cheaper then buying in Spore - e.g. Coach, Levis etc?

rara

Must eat:
- seafood (the most famous Hokkaido crabs, scallops, squids... even the hums here dun have that shellfishy taste)
- vegetables (sweet juicy onions that don't EVER stink up ur breath, sweet juicy corn, sweet juicy baby tomatoes, sweet tasty pumpkins, potatoes, sweet potatoes, sweet sweet sweet... u get the idea... and this coming from someone who doesn't eat vegetables in Sg)
- soup curry (only found in Hokkaido)
- ramen
- butadon (machiam very fragrantly bbq-ed char siew rice)
- Hokkaido milk (u never get milk as good as this... well unless u'r in Australia maybe)
- ice-cream! (lavender, squid ink, sunflower, melon, MILK...)

Must see/do/go:
- Flowers! (Biei, Furano, but unfortunately depends on season)
- Hell Valley (Jigokudani at Noboribetsu)
- Lake Toya
- Daisetsuzan (Sounkyo/Asahidake/Kurodake etc. for the mountains and waterfalls and abundant nature because it is Japan's biggest national park! Trek if u'r game!)
- Onsen!! Anywhere with outdoor onsen is good. (Daisetsuzan, Noboribetsu, Lake Toya, Jozankei (nearest from Sapporo city centre), or any other lake like Lake Akan)
- Horseback-riding (amazing experience in winter)
- Abashiri in winter (drift ice)
- Winter sports!! Skiing and snowboarding! No worries for first timers because the instructors are extremely amazingly patient and friendly)
- lots lots more... seriously, there's is so much to do in every season you can't cover them all in a week of holidaying

Must buy: Rokkaitei (六花亭), Shiroikoibito, actually, it really depends on what u like.

pingluvhao

Ya, ice cream, honey dew cream puff (fav!), ramen and their milk nice nice!

Seafood i eat until a bit scared though, ahaha cos every day is sea food.

I don't think coach is cheaper there

stardus

Xiao Mao Mao,

I find that the coach bags are cheaper.
happy.gif

xmm

Hi

Thanks for the advise.
But I really "Sua Ku", what is Rokkaitei (六花亭), Shiroikoibito?
Is it jap cake or jelly?

I was told to buy the chocolate, is there anything else I can get as gifts and sourvenirs?

Oh so the shopping in Rera Chitose factory outlet is not attractive is it?
What are the brands/ stuff that i can get it cheaper there?

Kindly advise

xmm

Hey Moonlight

Thanks for your help!
:)

The list of shops are impressive, I just not sure if the price is really so good to get it there or wait till GSS then get in Spore ...........
Do you know what I mean ........

reality

Hello, is it cold throughout in hokkaido? Planning to go on a tour in mid Oct. But haven't decided on a plc to go yet.

rara

Oct is pretty ok. best time for admiring the autumn foliage, esp from the tub of an outdoor hot spring. 7-15 degrees maybe? dun need thermals unless u have a really low threshold for cold weather. just a good windbreaker with a layer or 2 under shud be fine.

tamarind

shannen,
I just saw your message :p My mother and my maid take care of my kids, that is why I am free to travel on my own
happy.gif
Even as mommies, we still should have our own life
happy.gif

I have created a blog and uploaded photos of my trip in Hokkaido, mainly of the wonderful flowers(Farm Tomita and Biei) and apple trees. Check it out here.

http://aloneinhokkaido.blogspot.com/

rara

hmm that's very few places to visit for a trip made all the way to Hokkaido. How many days do you have?

toh13

i intend to go on 29 Aug and back on 6 sept. Of course if i can visit more places, i will do so.. Thus i am looking for more info.

rayrachel

hihi.... new here... just to check... a HM to Hokkaido with cost how much?? say abt 7 days?? issit too long??

what are the things we can see/do there??
happy.gif

Going ard 1st week sept after AD.
happy.gif

thanks!
happy.gif

rara

hi toh, for the number of days, you can cover way lot more! even if you take your own sweet time, u can cover what u listed above in 4-5 days, but i wouldn't recommend more than 3 days cos there's just so much more to see.

Since u mentioned ainu village, i believe you'll be going to the Hell Valley at Noboribetsu as well? Hakodate, Toya and Noboribetsu are all in southwestern Hokkaido.
Nearer to Sapporo, there's Otaru.
In central Hokkaido, there's the Daisetsuzan National Park, the largest national park in Hokkaido. Then there's Biei town and Furano city known for their rolling green fields and beautiful blooms.
Further east, there're a few beautiful lakes like Akan and Kussharo, and at the most eastern tip of Hokkaido is Shiretoko Nat'l Park, a UNESCO world heritage site, tho I doubt you'd have the time to travel all the way there.

Do you intend to drive or do everything via public transport? If you're coming on 29 Aug, you may be able to catch the end of the sunflower season so keep your fingers crossed.

Happy planning. As usual, this highly recommended site -> http://www.japan-guide.com/

rara

"a HM to Hokkaido with cost how much?? say abt 7 days?? issit too long??...what are the things we can see/do there??"

rayrachel, all you have to do is to google travel packages available in the market to get a rough idea, or simply scroll up a little and back track this thread to get your answer.

it really depends on what airline you fly, what kinda accomodation you want to stay in and how much you shop. i've had friends spending 4+k/pax, but i've also had friends spending under 3k.

rayrachel

RaRa> haha...precisely i'm lazy to google all the travel packages and tot i could get some quick tips here..
happy.gif

So i suppose it'll costs thousands of dollars to go Hokkaido then.. Mmm.... tight budget.. may leave it out then....
thanks..
happy.gif

toh13

hi rara,
actually both my friend and i know how to drive, but is it advisable to drive there since it's our first time there, we are not sure whether can we cope with it. I am thinking of doing everything via public transport - JR railpass is it sufficient??

rara

hey toh,

if u'r only going to hokkaido and not visiting anywhere else on honshu, forget about the japan rail pass. the japan rail pass is only worth it when you travel across long distances, like from tokyo to osaka or down to hiroshima/fukuoka. you will be flying into hokkaido, i believe, and within hokkaido, the JR rail pass is redundant.

You have another option called the <u>Hokkaido Rail Pass</u> though.
http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/railpass/4days_01.html

Pros:
- You get to relax and enjoy the long journeys
- You don't have to worry about losing your way
- You can experience the famous efficiency and service the Japanese are known for
- The trains (and buses too) are absolutely punctual so you are unlikely to worry that your itinerary will be pushed back etc.

Cons:
- You will have to schedule your itinerary according to the train schedules as they don't come as frequently as you'd like them to
- The journeys are pretty long e.g. Sapporo to Hakodate takes 3hrs, Sapporo to Furano takes 2hrs
- You can't take breaks or view attractions/sceneries between your destinations
- Some attractions, like the ainu village, hell valley and lake toya, require a local bus transfer as they are not located near the station. These buses are VERY infrequent so you will incur waiting time, or will have to rush to catch an earlier bus out

<u>Driving</u>
A good guide book and map should suffice. you can enquire at places like JTB in Taka or at the tourist information counter at the airport or at Sapporo station when you arrive in town.

Pros:
- Gives you lots of flexibility with your itinerary as you can come and go as and when you like
- Gets you to places faster
- You can stop along the way if anything interests you, or to take in the panaromic views of the abundant nature, or just to stop by a convenience store to grab a bite
- The speed limit in Sapporo downtown is 40km/h, 50km/h further out of town, and 70km/h on the highways. Cars generally go at a slower pace here and the roads are far from congested

Cons:
- Rental cars come with GPS systems, but they're in Japanese
- If it's just 2 people, it may cost more per pax to drive than using public transport
- You may tire from driving around all day

This is certainly non-exhaustive, but it's about all I can think of at this moment.

It's prob still early to decide which mode of transport you shud use, but I'm more inclined towards the HRP for the 2 of you. Make a list of places you'd like to visit first, and work out a rough itinerary from there based on location e.g. start off from Hakodate, move up towards Toya and Noboribetsu and then Sapporo, and make your way to the central to Furano or sth. After you have a rough itinerary, check the train and bus schedules online to see how they can fit, how much it would cost you and if it'd be worth getting the HRP.

toh13

thanks rara..

you have been very helpful.
I will try to work out my itinerary first..
have borrowed some travel guides.. now reading and jotting down notes.

will get back to you again.

icedrops

Hi Rara,

For self-drive, are there any road signs in English or purely Japanese? Also, do u hv any recommendation for a gd car rental firm over there? Thanks!

s__h

Japan is right hand drive...same as singapore

The wordings are in chinese character and in roman (like han yu ping ying)

rara

icedrops, there're tonnes of car rental companies in Japan. If you're talking about Hokkaido, you can rent from JR, Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Nippon Rent-a-car...

I don't think the prices differ much so if there's a particular make you prefer or are familiar with, you may want to use their rental service.

The type of service they offer may differ slightly though. For example, my boyfriend picked Nippon Rent-a-car over the others because their office is open 24-hours so we could set off earlier.

Here are 2 companies with English pages for reference.

Nippon Rent-a-car:
http://www.nipponrentacar.co.jp/english/index.html

Toyota Rent-a-car:
http://www.toyotarentacar.net/english/index.asp

rara

As for road signs, it's easier if you read Chinese.

For familiar or short names like Sapporo (札幌), Chitose (åƒæ­³), Hakodate (函館), Furano (富良野), Toya (洞爺) etc, the English shouldn't be too much a prob.

but for mouthful names like Asahikawa and Noboribetsu, it may be easier to just look out for signs that read æ—­å· and 登別 respectively, esp since the English words are usually in a smaller print below the Chinese characters.

Then again, it all depends on which language you're more comfortable with. Trying to spot a name in Chinese characters may end up more tedious than remembering a string of English syllables which you can identify at a glance.

rara

yes it does. you can use phone numbers too, which in our case we did. the GPS is a wonderful tool to have. it is very accurate and quick to reroute with minimal lag. in fact our trip was filled with a lot of surprises thanks to all the viewpoints of spectacular sceneries marked out on the GPS.

however, i think the GPS is only available in Japanese. it's a pretty standard procedure to enter the mapcode so you can prob ask the guy to teach you how to use it when you pick up your car. write down the steps somewhere and you shouldn't be having any major problem afterwards.

icedrops

Hi Rara,

Thanks for sharing! So u're saying all road signs will hv English words below their Chinese names am I right? Are there any signs in purely Jap only? Only worried abt this part..

Btw, do u know if most of the rental companies provide a complimentary copy of a detailed road map in the car? Or do we hv to purchase them ourselves? And for rental, do they have option for excess reduction too? Also, among all these rental firms, which is a cheaper and/or more reliable one u can recommend?
happy.gif

toh13

HI rara,

what do you think of my plan as shown below?

I am thinking of staying at Sapporo (prob keio plaza), then from there, i will get the hokkaido rail pass and go to the following places and back to hotel.
(1) Noboribetsu
(2) Biei town and Furano
(3) Otaru

rara

icedrops, no i'm not sure that ALL road signs have the names in Romaji (Japanese pronunciation written in English).

Another correction: the names are Not Chinese names; they are Japanese names written in Chinese characters. I'm not sure if you know this but the Japanese language uses Chinese characters in their writing.

It's best to get a map with BOTH Japanese and English names so that you can match the Japanese characters even if you can't read them in the event that there is no English on the signs (unless you're in a bigger city and on the highways, this is very possible).

I don't think the rental companies provide road maps. But I do think this is something you should already have with you during the planning stage of your trip. How are you going to plan your itinerary and route without actually having a detailed road map? I don't suppose you're thinking of embarking on your trip completely clueless and only start fumbling around with the map after you've gotten into the driver's seat right?

What is excess reduction? Sorry I don't really know much about car rentals. I've only used a rental company once and I posted the link above. If you wanna compare prices, you could probably just do a search online and get feedback from those travel sites.

rara

Toh, for the period that you're coming, you shouldn't get the HRP if you're ONLY going to visit the 3 places you listed (which actually wouldn't take more than 4-5 days).

There is a 5000yen JR free pass to the Biei-Furano area which entitles you to a single return trip from/to Sapporo, and free-to-ride within the free area consisting of Asahikawa, Biei and Furano. It is good for 4 days, which means you can effectively tour Biei-Furano for 4d3n before utilising your return trip to Sapporo. For a regular tourist, 2d1n is usually enough to cover the main attractions in Biei and Furano.

As for Otaru, there is a Sapporo-Otaru Welcome Pass that gets you a one-day return JR ticket to Otaru and a one-day Sapporo city free-to-ride subway pass for only 1,500yen. You need to show your passport when purchasing the SOWP as it is only available to temporary visitors. You don't have to use both tickets on the same day, but they will ask you for the date you're using your Otaru tickets and they will only be valid for that day. The Sapporo subway pass can be used on any other day.

For Noboribetsu, a set of return tickets cost 4,040yen.

Total: 5000+1500+4040=10540
Conclusion: Not worth getting the HRP, unless you plan to go to Toya and Hakodate as well. What happened to these places anyway?

toh13

rara,
i am thinking of covering as many places as possible.. but the hotel part is a bit tricky. I dun wish to go around with my luggage.. so thot maybe stay put at one place then go visit the different places.

How? i am still very confused.. HELP

icedrops

Rara,

Tks. Yup I do know Japanese uses Chinese characters in their writing. That's call Kanji. I just call them chinese names in general to be easier, not saying that they're actually chinese names.. u misunderstood me
happy.gif

As for map, I'm referring to actual street directory of Hokkaido (detailed road map with small &amp; unnamed roads, roundabaouts &amp; traffic lights..etc), so u'll know exactly which way to go b4 u set off (the driving directions), not just a general road map of Hokkaido showing the main cities &amp; suburbs where u can easily get it online &amp; essential for planning out ur itinerary. Proper planning &amp; research is definitely important for every trip which is why we always plan out our routes using the online interactive map (similar to street directory) for the place we're going (if there's any), so we can get ourselves oriented b4 we set off to save us time chking thru the street directory again when're there. We'll also hv a better understanding of the place beforehand &amp; know where the nearby supermarkets/carpks, dining places..etc are. However, not all online sites hv interactive maps available.. so in cases like this, we just hv to refer to the street directory provided by the car rental company (or get from bookstore if they did not provide) &amp; then chkout the directions to the places we're going for the next day's itinerary the night b4 we set off. This way, we'll not be lost &amp; it saves times also. If u only chk when u're in the car, alot of precious time will be wasted &amp; u might end up getting late to ur destination. That is a very basic knowledge
happy.gif

As for excess reduction, I'm referring to car insurance.. which is important in case of any accidents/damages, u only hv to pay a minumum sum instead of the full amt. Some rental companies provide only very basic &amp; mimimal coverage so it's always important to find out &amp; compare these coverage areas &amp; the rates 1st before u decide on which rental firm to go to.

Appreciate ur advice anyway, will chkout the rates online then. Tks for ur time!

Btw, anyone else who can recommend any good rental companies in Hokkaido pls let me know. Tks in advance!
happy.gif

rara

Hi icedrops,

Sorry I really don't know the details about car rental so I can't help you out on that. I vaguely recall the guy asking if my bf wanted to upgrade the kind of insurance when we collected our car, which he did. I'm not sure what it was but I could ask.

You could also email Nippon Rent-a-car or Toyota to enquire since they have English websites. My bf corresponded with Nippon in English over email and he didn't have any problems.

You can probably enquire about the maps at the same time so that in the event that they do not provide, you can get your own beforehand.

The Japanese are known for their awesome service, so it should be quite safe if you go with the bigger names.

rara

toh, u can still base urself in Sapporo. bring a smaller bag for travelling and deposit your big luggage with ur hotel for the nights you're not staying there. i think it's possible if you stay with them for a few nights. Else there're lockers at Sapporo station, but of course you'd have to pay for the period you use.

Actually, say if you come to Sapp first,
Day 1, Sapporo (Sapporo Hotel)
Day 2, Day trip to Noboribetsu (Sapporo Hotel)
Day 3, Day trip to Toya, continue down to Hakodate (Hakodate Hotel)
Day 4, Hakodate (take 7pm train back to Sapporo. Sapporo hotel)
Day 5, Biei/Furano (Furano hotel)
Day 6, Biei/Furano (Evening train back to Sapporo. Sapporo hotel)
Day 7, Otaru
Day 8, Sapporo (depending on what time your flight is)

This is a little rushed. you may want to drop Hakodate and make it a day trip to Toya, then spend the rest of the time sightseeing/shopping within Sapporo itself.

But if you were to go to Toya, then it'd prob be worth getting the HRP.

icedrops

Rara,

Tks! Will email them then. Just tot if anyone who has rented from Nippon, Toyota or other rental companies b4 can provide some feedback so can make an actual comparision will be better
happy.gif

Btw, most of the flowers @ Tomita Farm only blooms ard Jul- Aug period right? So if I'm going during mid May period, do u know if we'll be be able to see anything any at all?

rara

May is great!! It's spring! The season of tulips and moss pink. Farm Tomita is famous for lavender hence the peak season is Jul-Aug. It will have some blooms, but it's not the best place to go in may if flowers are what you want to see. Personally, I much prefer tulips over lavender anytime.

Check these out:
<u>Blooming Hokkaido</u>
http://kanko.pref.hokkaido.jp/flower/english/index.html

<u>Kamiyubetsu (上湧別) Tulip Park</u>
http://kanko.pref.hokkaido.jp/flower/english/spot/07_kamiyubetsu/01.html

<u>Higashimokoto Moss Pink Park</u>
http://kanko.pref.hokkaido.jp/flower/english/spot/19_higashimakoto/01.html

These 2 parks are located further away in the east of Hokkaido but if you're gonna rent a car anyway, they are definitely worth a visit!

toh13

thanks rara,

i think the itinerary that you have is great.. prob i will give hakodate a miss and like what you said, spend shopping at sapporo..
thanks so much.

icedrops

Rara,

Tks! I also prefer tulips over lavender cos have not seen them yet hee. Hv already seen lavender in bloom, really beautiful sight! Actually hoping to see other kinds of flowers so really happy to know that tulips will be in bloom over there in May!
happy.gif

But are these the only 2 places to see tulips &amp; moss pink? Cos they're on the eastern side of Hokkaido &amp; dun think it can fit into our itinerary as we're planning to visit more of the Taisetsu Tokachi, southern &amp; central areas like Hakodate, Lake Toya, Noboribetsu, Sapporo, Otaru, Furano, Biel &amp; Asahikawa.

Btw, do u hv any itineraries to share btw? I'm looking at 12-14 days.. is that sufficient to cover the areas abv or is it too much? Also, any other areas that we shldn't miss out? Like Obihiro &amp; Kushiro, are they interesting? Appreciate ur advise again, thanks!

s__h

if u have citibank credit card, check citibank website for their email to you...

Fraser Place howff Shinjuku, Tokyo

• Studio Deluxe from JPY13,062
• One Bedroom Deluxe from JPY24,937
• Two Bedroom Deluxe from JPY30,875

Package includes:
• Complimentary upgrade (subject to availability)
• Late check-out till 3pm (subject to availability)
• House-keeping services and utilities

Available at:
2-27-7, Hyakunin-cho, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-0073 Japan

For reservations and queries please
call +81 3 5925 3111 or
email [email protected]

Offers and privileges are valid from now till 30 September 2008. Offers are subject to availability, blackout/peak period. Offer is not applicable to existing leasing contract guests and is not to be used in conjunction with third party promotional or corporate rates. Rooms are subject to service charge and taxes. Citibank Singapore Ltd and Frasers Hospitality reserve the right to change the offer without prior notice.

rara

hey icedrops,

i dun really have itineraries to share. i customise base on length of visit and interests etc. ;)

but anyway, i pm-ed you my self-drive itinerary the last time, which was just 4 days. 12-14 days would be great cos you can take your time.

actually hakodate is the only place tt is more out of the way among those you listed. toya and noboribetsu, altho in the southwest, are one-day affairs. you could even cover both in a day if you're travelling by car since daytime is long (4am-7pm) in May. One day is also sufficient for Otaru.

about tulips, you can see them everywhere, even along the roads and the gardens of people's homes! but kamiyubetsu is the only place you can see an endless field of them.

toh, you're gonna be going in and out by JR almost everyday so get a hotel near Sapporo station. there are a couple of Toyoko Inns very near the station. Cheap and convenient.
http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/
Check out Sapporo-eki Kita-guchi or Minami-guchi. Personal recommendation is Kita-guchi.

krispy

hi,

has anyone driven around hokkaido in winter before? my husband and i are planning a trip in beginning dec which i understand will be the start of the winter season. is it safe to drive?

we intend to visit the following places:
- sapporo
- hakodate
- nororibetsu
- furano / niseko

has anyone been to both furano and niseko? which would you recommend for winter sports and horseback riding? we intend to spend about 3-4 days there just taking in the sights and skiing. is it advisable? would it be too long?

rara

hi KrispyKreme,

it's not recommended for you to drive if you've never driven in winter before as the roads are extremely icy and slippery. even the locals have problems preventing their cars from skidding.

there is of course the possibility that the snow has yet to accumulate as far as Sapporo is concerned (last year it didn't accumulate until mid-Dec) but if you're planning to visit places like Furano/Niseko, I would advise against driving altogether as you'll be driving on foreign roads for the first time where the lane markings cannot be seen.

If you really wanna drive, you can rent a car for navigating within Hakodate cos it doesn't snow much, if at all, there in December.

Both Furano and Niseko are great for winter sports, though Niseko is bigger and has more facilities. 3-4 days is definitely not too long for a ski holiday. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

If I'm not wrong, neither the above 2 places have horseback riding. You can do it at Otaru, Lake Toya or in the southern town of Hidaka.

krispy

Hi Rara,

Thanks so much for the reply. Will try to research on those places you mentioned.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, do you have any recommended places to sight see at Otaru, Lake Toya or Hidaka? How many days should I spend at each place?