Having a headache on wedding venue..

jetwedding

hi everyone..

i would appreciate your recommendations..

my SO and i would like to hold our wedding on may 2012.. our budget is ard 1k-1.1k per table and capacity of 30-33tables.. preferably on fri/sat..

however, most hotels require min of 35 tables.. and even amara or m hotels only has max of 32 tables which im afraid that it will be squeezy..

so far only novotel qualifies.. other hotels that qualifies include carlton or hilton.. but SO is complaining this and that..

really dunno how can i convinced him..

venussnow

have u considered grand copthorne waterfront? i held my rom there and their ballrooms are big enough. but pricing is slightly above ur stated budget. alternatively u can consider concorde hotel as well. they'll be renovating their ballroom aug this yr. u have to talk to ur SO what are his concerns. most imptly is both of u must like the venue :D

jetwedding

@littlewoman: like hilton, he feels that someone "commited suicide" there.. then carlton, he feels that guests have to go one corner to take a lift up.. even regent hotel, he feels that it's not good enough.. he felt that the reception is very small and confusing for the guests..

@venussnow: i think we cant meet the min tables for copthorne waterfront.. and he doesnt like the fact that the ballroom is on 4th floor.. complicated for guests to find..

i really dunno wat he wants..seems like he's more picky and is seeking an even more perfect wedding than me..

miloice

Do a full research and lay all the alternatives clearly. Let your SO complain all he wants. Nothing change. A decision has to be made. No headache. There are unlimited wants, we need to get down to earth. BE REALISTIC!

Frankly, for a guy, your SO is shockingly picky and fussy over wedding venue. What is his concern? Is he a perfectionist on a low budget or someone concerned with face or other agenda? e.g. could be anticipation over his own parents expectations etc. Need to understand his concerns before you can make the right call.

lovingyou

jet wedding: Hmm... Everyone hopes to have the perfect wedding... The bottomline is marriage goes beyond a one night event and it is impossible to achieve 100% perfection for all his concerns. Have a talk with him and lay down his top 5 concerns before in search for the next venue...

jetwedding

milo: maybe i should speak to him and asked him for the kind of criteria he wants?

i did asked him.. he said budget abt 1k to 1.1k.. and dun mind restaurants.. so fine.. im looking at tung lok restaurant at paramount.. then he'll be like.. the place looks sleezy.. the ballroom looks awakward..

seriously, i dunno wat kind of agenda he's on.. is the budget of 1K to 1.1k too little for wedding banquet? is he concerned on face issue..? dun seem to be.. cuz he keep saying that he dun wanna be in debts after wedding.. so no point having such an exp wedding dinner..
my MIL seems pretty okie with whenever we decide.. unless she doesnt show.. then i have no control over that..

@littlewoman: yup.. really need to talk to him.. hai.. i dunno wat to do leh.. even for carlton, initially, i dun quite like the ballroom's lighting.. but eventually i fekt tat the decor looks good.. and SO still feel it's troublesome for guests..

matka

Why is Carlton troublesome for guests? It's at City Hall, how troublesome can that be? It's definitely more accessible than the Ritz Carlton...

matka

Ohh... i missed your reply above. Aiyoh!

How about Swissotel Merchant Court? I think that should be quite alright. Not complicated, hopefully within budget, spacious, relatively easy to find... located on the first level....

Try Suntec City ballroom as well. If he doesn't have a problem with restaurants, I think ballrooms should be alright too.

You might want to enquire with Raffles Town Club as well.

miloice

Conrad was 1.1k during 2004 period before economy picked up. Now, u can forget about Conrad for this budget.

Instead of Hotels, look at other possible venues as well. If you are okie for western buffet style, u can consider many other options. The Heritage centre has a very nice view of the city and singapore river. You can have a life jazz band playing at the venue. The effect would be very nice for smaller group.

miloice

yes, u should talk to him to understand more of his concerns behind all the complains. Sometimes, there are other reasons. When you understand the reasons, then its easier to overcome it. Else, u will be clueless on why he is complaining abt everything. It will seem endless and you clueless on how to proceed.

jetwedding

@matka: i called swissotel merchant court.. strictly min 35 tables! argh.. the lady offered me the option to do wedding lunch.. which is not feasible.. alot of relatives leh.. tea ceremony.. is like crazy !

watever man! actually already ROM with SO.. maybe juz dun wanna do the dinner thing!

xueyi1020

Check Hotel Fort Canning out. Their minimum is 18 tables. We had our wedding there recently and the food quality was good. It was an international buffet spread for 280 pax. We have absolutely no regrets having it there and the hotel room is beautiful too. Btw, I think there are having a bridal show very soon.

denise80

For someone so fussy, y dun u just leave the selection of hotel or restaurant to him? That shld solve the problem?

mum_of_2_girls

Hi jet,

Actually your hubby just want a listening ear.

You have done enough, no need to be fluster over this. Just trust and leave it to him. You only have to listen and smile.

This is what I do after I have done my part and he still grumble. I will smile and nod my head but I will not do any more. Eventually he will take over the job.

Sometimes, we, ladies should not pamper our hubby too much and do everything for them.
You just be the princess and let your knight do things for you.

After that just kiss and thank him. He will be very happy to see you so happy over it.

snoopies

Try Furama RiverFront?

We had ours done there last Nov in their Venus ballroom. As this is their biggest ballroom, min requires 35 table. They have a medium size ballroom for 32tables by the poolside. You can have your solemnisation by the pool then proceed to the ballroom for your recept.

Their tables ranges from $700 - $900++ even for weekends depending which ballroom you taking.

Although Furama is not rated 5stars.. but I could say the food and ambience is reasonably good. Can check them out during their regular wedding show.

shannat

jet wedding: amara can hold up to 40 tables.
happy.gif

lovingyou

"dun seem to be.. cuz he keep saying that he dun wanna be in debts after wedding.. so no point having such an exp wedding dinner.."
================================================
I believe there are some hotels who are offering better prices. Most importantly, what are his worries and concerns. Try to understand the budget cater for the whole wedding so that both of you will be able to work round it. Marriage extend beyond one night, thus, try not to overspend, being in debts can also ruin one's marriage.

jetwedding

hi everyone..

my SO and i visited novotel last evening..
seems like he's keen on that place.. budget, location, perks given..

initially, he find that building ugly.. and refuse to even "give it a chance to show its potential" until i made an appt with the coordinator and asked him to come along..
after the visit, i said to him: "see, it's not so bad afterall.. rite?" and he agreed.. and i asked him abt the exterior of the hotel.. he replied: "aiya, guests only come and go to the carpark straight".. i dunno if he's trying to make me feel better or sincerely think that way.. but it doesnt matter.. as long he's okie with the venue...

at least the only thing he dun like abt the ballroom is the lighting.. which i think is a minor issue.. other than that.. he's fine with everyting.. hehe..

really appreciate everyone's recommendation and will make an appt with the coordinator so that he can come with me!