Hamsters: advice required

goooogal

Hi Pink Bunny and jingles!! I was wondering where were you gals!
happy.gif

Pink Bunny, my hammies used to have their own loos. Basically the sand used for the loo is coarser than the type used for bathing. It clumps together when they pee (like cat litter but not so coarse) so you can just scoop the clumped pieces out and throw away. You still need to clean the loo weekly and fill with clean sand though. Eh.. why your hubby must clean the tower when Ah Huat was inside?? Maybe next time can use some food to lure him out of the tower instead of nudging him out.

BTW, good idea on the herbs for the soup. I usually add the MacCormick Italian seasoning and some black pepper before serving. Can also add 1 or 2 bay leaves while cooking too. ;) I think if you wanna use the slower cooker, you may wanna reduce the water to just cover the ingredients so that the soup would become thicker and tastier. Cook on high heat 1st till it boils then reduce to low heat to simmer for a couple of hours... *slurp* :D

pinkbunny

goooogal: dunno man. my ah lao loves ah huat (eh sometimes before going to bed he go and say goodnight to ah huat one ok) but i feel he's not 'soft' enough with him. ah huat so small, my ah lao so big, but he doesn't feel he need to be more gentle with him. siao!

anyhow, he want to clean the tower before going to work so that ah huat don't need to smell his waste matter all day mah

wah i keep thinking of the chicken soup .... lao nua liao leh

goooogal

Pink BUnny, your hubby v cute leh... must say gd night to Ah Huat before bed ;) But my hubby also will sayang Amous and tuck him to bed before we sleep. Haha.. But he doesn't do that to the bunny cos he doesn't like him after he misbehaved the last time. I have to remove the food dish from the bunny's cage else he will keep us awake by banging the food dish against his cage!

Oh tonight hubby says he will cook the soup for me cos me not feeling well :p Think it's the weather and flu bug...

pinkbunny

sayang, sayang, goooogal. you take care okie? plenty of vitamin C and water. and loving magical chicken soup
kao_babydust.gif

what's with our husbands and our pets ah? keke.

pinkbunny

guess who popped by to say hi?

ah huat, say hello to auntie goooogal and auntie jingles!

367100.jpg

and here he is in his bathtub (he looks so big hor? keke):
367101.jpg

goooogal

Morning Pink Bunny and Ah Huat!
happy.gif
Hehe...he looks like he really enjoys his bath. I liked to see my hammies tumble in the sand too.

Oh, my hubby didn't cook soup for me in the end but bought me dinner from Delifrance. I guess it was kinda late to cook by the time we got home and we're both tired. Guess we'll keep the ingredients for Sunday ;)

pinkbunny

good morning everyone!!

wow it's been some time since we've been here. still no updates from me. ah huat bit me again
sad.gif
maybe he really doesn't like me la. he's ok when i put my hand in to smell. but when i wanted to clear his food, he attacked me. then give me that angelic look. how to be angry with him?

goooogal

Hi hi Pink Bunny! Dun worry lah.. maybe Ah Huat thought you're trying to take his food away. Hammies are quite territorial. Maybe next time you distract him with some new tidbits before you clear his old ones?

My Alphie is very naughty still. He doesn't want to play or do anything except eat all day. My cat is still avoiding him. My hubby also got bitten and scratched by Alphie. I'm also running out of ideas to tame the rabbit. :p Dunno whether I should keep him or not...

pinkbunny

hi goooogal, oh no. i thought alphie was becoming more kuai of late? seems like he's quite a terror eh? i never thought bunnies could be so fierce! then again, i never thought hamsters could be fierce too. why so naughty ah? my old hammies were ok with me carrying them and playing with them. he looks so cute when he's got bath sand on his nose by the way keke

goooogal

Alphie is very "terror" alright... if I leave his food dish empty, he will purposely sit in it and pee/poop inside. Then I have to shoo him off and clean the food dish :p And he likes to bang the food dish around the cage or bite the cage if I dun leave food inside for him. If I give him hay, he will drag it all around the cage till most of it falls through the cage base.... very wasteful!! He gets into a frenzy everytime I take out the oxbow pellets. It's like his favourite food. Then he will ignore the hay or veges in his cage.

pinkbunny

wow. alphie is a terror! well, look on the bright side... next time when you have kids, you'll know how to handle a rebellious teenager....

(quite funny to imagine a rabbit dragging his food around keke)

goooogal

Haha Pink Bunny.. think if my kids next time waste food like this, I'll smack them lor :p My hubby scolds the bunny but he bo hew leh... Then my cat very cute..he thought we're scolding him and will go to a corner to sulk...kekeke..

pinkbunny

haha your cat is really adorable! better sayang him more and tell him it's not him. as for alphie, cut his allowance! hahaha

pinkbunny

what's up gal pals?
happy.gif
long time no post. just wanted to seek your expert opinions. ah huat seems to be rather restless these days. i'm worried that there's something wrong with him. anyone has any idea what's causing this?

bunnyngsg

Hello, my hammie gave birth to 3 pups. Does anyone know how long it takes for the pups to grow up and start walking. Cos I wanted to clean the cage but worry will disturb the babies and mother.

chocolatier

Penelope,

How about leaving them alone till the pups open their eyes? THink around a mth?
Been some time since i had hammie babies...

pinkbunny

hi, anyone keen to revive this thread? my winterwhite, "ah huat" is a really lovely guy. we estimate his age to be about less than 1 year. just brought him to the vet yesterday cos of a suspected infection. just to share with you hamster lovers out there: the vet says that his elbows were swollen due to the wire caging (abrasion/friction). and DO NOT use sawdust. many hamsters are allergic to them. use cat litter instead (paper pallets)

timidzhouse

this thread seems to die liao.

anybody like hamster here??saw those little cute hammies at pet station & cant resist the idea of getting 1 myself..

any baby to give away??

anybody have exp can share??

monkie

hello loveblooson
having hamster needs commitment also.
i have 2 at home, one syrian and one campbell russian.

you can visit singapore pets channel, SPCA, Singapore hamsters forum to look for adoption. pls try to adopt and do not buy from pet shop not because to save money, but there are many hamsters there waiting for good homes.

hamster does not cost you much, their food is cheap. but you need to wash their cages, which can be tedious.

next, they are cute to look at but not easy to tame them. they bite when frighten, they will pee and poo on your hand too. most people feel excited to bring them home, but got fed up when they try to touch them and got nasty bites from them.

they are small in size, so they got scared when a giant hand wrap around them so their natural reaction is to run away follow by biting to defend themselves.

this doesn't mean they can't be touch and cuddle - yes they can! but you need lots of patience.

pls read up more about hamsters, their different breed characteristics, how to take care of them etc before buying.

they are living things afterall, and pls love them until they die. they only have about 2 years with you only.

timidzhouse

i see.. thanks for advise... will goggle to see if there is any to adopt...

i do guess they are much easier as compare to doggy since i used to have 1 but passed away due to old age..

hope it can even company my granny as well since she is not scared of mice anyway (thats what she think so..) hahha

do you know what do they eat?? & what species is more friendly to keep?

monkie

you can find their food easily from pet shop. as the shop assistant, they can help u. buy those from japan better, can control their urine smell.

by the way, they sleep during day time, so how to keep ur granny company? they are very aloof animals.

i suggest you read up more.

patriciafe

I got this one mix when I first got my winter white and I regretted starting her on it because she would pick out all the good bits so I mixed it with carefresh complete and what they get is 50/50 since I don't want to drastically change their diet. Eventually I will mix in mor & more of the carefresh complete and phase out the first food I started them on. I also give fresh veggies, pumpkin seeds, and a few little hamster treats to suppliment in addition to vitamins in their water.