Hainanese sesame balls --- HELP!

evod

Because my wedding is on the 16th day of the 8th lunar month, the shop that makes the balls (Hainan 2nd Street) is unable to make it for me because that uncle is busy making mooncakes. Heard that this is the only shop in S'pore that makes it. Is that true???

bohty

Har, 3weeks ago I called them and they say can do it leh. Mine wedding same day as you . jialet liao. Will go down tomorrow to check.

Thanks.Dovey.

huiz

Hi dovey,

Are u referring to the deep fried glutinous sesame balls stuffed with either peanuts or green bean paste?

evod

Yes sounds like "chin deh". From what I know, it's a hollow ball made of flour, covered with sesame seeds. It's the size of a basketball.

bohty> Yes u betta call them again. Let me know the outcome okie...

They offered an alternative, something called "yi bua" that is made by an auntie, not that uncle who makes the balls and the mooncakes.

bohty

sob sob. When down personal to check this morni and they confirm no way they can do it. Give me alot excuse. Not happy i walk off. They also ask me to take Yi Bua at 70cents per pc. Say theirs is number is singapore.

stacy

Bohty - I've got a yi bua contact...the person is in simei..think its 60cents per pc..if u want, I can get the contact from my mum.

stacy

Bothy,

Can you pls enable ur PM? I'm not sure if its nice to put her tel no. here. Anyway, I just checked with mum. She said last yr was 60cents each, not sure if she've increase her price thou.

stacy

Bohty,

Sent...pls check ur email...
happy.gif

wandelust

Hi, I'm a new member and I'm a hainanese too! I've decided not to have the BALL coz it is not auspicious if the ball collapse during the wedding day. Not taking any risks and luckily my parents are ok with that. However it is very brave of u guys, kudos to u!

bohty

Hi Huiz,

No. Only on actual day. Have to get E bua instead of the ball ball.

Hi Lydia,

Welcome.

evod

Hihi,
Luckily my future MIL was ok with not hvg the balls. But I bought 2 types of hainanese mooncakes fr the same shop as mid-autumn gifts for them. The su1 yan2 mooncakes & the wu3 ren2 mooncakes. They seem to like it. I'm not so used to the taste.

stacy

Bothy - I'll PM u when my gf sms me later. She've a contact for lady from Hainan island staying here making yi bua. She said its nice..but I've not tried thou.

Dovey - aiyoh..those mooncakes are my dad's fav!!

bohty

Hi Stacy,

I order from purvis street. not veli nice. Going to order from the simei lady this sat to try.

stacy

Bothy - bothy, let me know how much she is charging you ya? Tks! Btw, heard fm mum min order is 40pcs
happy.gif

bohty

hi Stacy,

Order liao. 70cents per pc. Chat with her for abt 15min. Lucky my hainan still okee to chat with her.Will like you know nice or not after i try it on coming sat.

ayycl

Hi stacy & bohty,

Do you still have the contact no. for the lady who made the yi bua??? How much does she charge is it very nice??? What's the min. order??

chickadees

Hi,
Does anyone know who is to install the bridal bed at the couple's home? Must this person be a relative of the groom? Can the person be the groom's parents? Must this person be an elder and related to the couple?

lily_bud

Hi,
I just called the Hainan 2nd street to order the chin deh...then the man who picked up the call told me the old uncle had passed away. So no one has the skill to make the chin deh already.
U gals have other contacts for me?

zapzap

Hi Hi,

The skill of making this big chin deh is considered lost in Singapore. The old uncle was the last person to have this skill here. None of his decendants was interested to learn this skill.

You may want to find other alternatives to replace., for eg, 'yi bua'

lily_bud

HI gals,

found out the following location has chin deh also.
1) Toa payoh lorong 8. Dun have the number but heard from my aunt quite easy to find. Its a very old traditional looking cake shop

2) Yishun block 924. The boss is called Mr Lim. there is only one cake shop there. So easy to find too.

maosterlab

Hi Diana,

Toa Payoh Lorong 8, which block?
Is near where? Please specific. Thanks.

Hi stacy & bohty,

Do you still have the contact no. for the lady who made the yi bua??? Can i have the contact too? Please email me [email protected]

Thanks.

lily_bud

Maoster,

dun know the blk no. leh..anyway my aunt went to check for me.They dun make the "chin deh" already..
sad.gif
sianzzzz

Btw I found another traditional cake shop at Sembawang road and they may have yi bua. You can call: gin thye cake maker at 62571566 or 67583742.

maosterlab

huh...
U mean TPY and Yishun all don make the Chin Deh alreadi arh. .. realli sad rite!!!
our Hainan tradition all gone liao. .. sobsob

Orite i will try calling the Sembawang de.

Thanks for ur info.

poseidon_gal

if none of you girls are able to find chin deh in sg..then i think i can forget about it when i want to get one for my AD in 2009.. sigh... i am a pure hainanese and i think my dad really wan me to follow the hainanese traditions..

steh

if you want the Hainanese wedding traditional CHin Deh you can contact 63824352 Neo Kian Guan Confectionery & Cake I finally found it! so relieve!

parmida

Hi gals!

Im a hainanese bride too! Glad to see a forum on hainanses brides
happy.gif
Hainanese traditions are like losing their favour
sad.gif

Me also looking for the 'chin deh' and nice yi bua...
happy.gif
shall try the contacts for the chin deh s. teh poseted :D

madames

Hi Parmida and Chimes,

Glad to see fellow Hainanese here. We have another active thread for Hainanese just one thread above this one. Do join us if u may
happy.gif

natsy

Hello brides,

Just to give an update, the cakes and "chindeh" at Neo Kian Guan Confectionery & Cake as recommended by S.Teh was really delicious and nice!!! Lady at the shop was very helpful with the orders as well.
683160.jpg

mmsmmay

Thanks for the contact for the "Chin Deh". Ordered it for my cousin's wedding yesterday. Our family did not realise how much we missed it. Yesterday, everyone was lingering around waiting for the "Chin Deh" to return with the Roast Pig. The "Chin Deh" stole the limelight.

But this version is slight different from the ones I used to eat. The true "hainanese" version is without the white seaseme seeds, more brown looking, and also rounder. I am told the same by my uncles and aunties.

"Yi Bua" from Hainan 2nd Street Coffee shop is nice as well.

karenlee0923

Hi All

Im also a hainanese bride who is gettng hitched in Nov 08. Can I know where is Neo Kian Guan Confectionery & Cake located? I wonder if they are still using the traditional method (told by my dad) of blowing into the Chin Deh to give that shape... kekekee

xiaofeimei

Hi, does anyone know what to do with the chin deh and yi bua on the actual day? Is the bride supposed to give to the groom's family or either way? Also, how many to give and how many is supposed to be returned?