"Guo Da Li (过大礼)" ??

seabreeze

Hi ladies,

Some advise needed. I have tentatively fixed my customary date to be on 19 Sept 2004 ... dinner to be on 20 Sept. As 19 Sept is chinese 6th day of 8th month ... when should the Guo Da Li be??

My mum keeps perstering me cos ppl tell her that Guo Da Li must be at least 8 days before the wedding .... but 8 days before will be in 7th month ... and we can't do it in the 6th month cos my FIL just passed away this year 7th month ... and we wanted to wait for 1 year before we have our wedding ....

Can I do it on the 1st day of 8th month? Anyone knows the rationale of the 8 days? Also, do we need to engage someone to select the date for Guo Da Li ... I engaged someone to select the wedding date for me but the feng shui master didn't provide me with the Guo Da Li date and now I can't seem to locate her anywhere ... lousy service ... so mad ....

Really hope to hear from someone ... cos I am planning to comfirm my wedding banquet by this month =p and I really do not wish to change the date anymore ....

corodory

hi kk
thanks for the list...wow so detailed..did u follow all or just a general guide to help us.
happy.gif

binbins

hi seabreeze
it really depends on yr parents whether they r fine with GDL a few days before hand

mine was only 4 days before my actual day customary. my ILs and own parents are fine with it.

kerenelu

Hi eVon,

Yah, one of the things to be discussed during ti qing can be how many tables ur mum want from the guy side. My mum wanted 8 tables from my in laws. After which she will need to top up on her own if the number of tables exceed 8
happy.gif

kerenelu

Hi SeaBreeze,

I dun think there is any fixed time frame for guo da li, as long as u find a date suitable for both sides. Maybe binbins can advise u on what happens if guo da li is very close to wedding. What to do with the invitation cards and RSVP.

Hi Corodory,

I actually follow the whole procedures.. haha... whenever i go through something, i will jot it down in this excel file
happy.gif

tianyun

Hi KK,

ohh..initially my mum wanted 13 tables but now she said reduce to 6 tables if not my hubby will be very siong...but dunno how my mum going to pay also...aiyo..headache...

babyvon

Hi KK,

May i chk with u...where did u get all ur GDL stuff? I wld prefer to assist my mom to get everythg frm one plc...Any reccommendations? Oso, any idea if the Suckling Pig must def b delivered on the AD? Can it b delivered on GDL instd? Thks!
happy.gif

kerenelu

Hi Babyvon,

Oh, there is this shop at bedok reservoir in blk 631 i think that sells a lot of such marriage stuff. And the boss know a lot of customs. Basically we tell him which dialect groups we are in and he will have one whole list of items.. hahahaa...

Oh, i only know that suckling pig to be delivered on the actual day when u two go back to ur side for tea ceremony. Didn't know whether can deliver on guo da li or not. Ur mum any objections?

Hi Evon,

Oh, which mean ur hubby pay 6 and ur mum pay for the other 7?

babyvon

Hi Kk,
Thks!
happy.gif
But if both r hokkiens, do we still need the suckling pig? I thot it's oni for the cantonese & teochew customs?
uhoh.gif

Btw, so sori, m pretti bad at excel...do u mind tell'g me hw i can print out evry column of the GDL list u sent me? Thks!
embarrassed.gif

kerenelu

Hi BabyVon

I think previously suckling pig is custom for cantonese? kekekee... but my mum wants a suckling pig although we are hainanese
happy.gif

Actually it really depends on ur mum leh whether she wants the suckling pig or not. Sometimes if there is big suckling pig, the bride side will have "face" mah.. kekee...

Printing of the excel ah.. think u have to extend every column... then print out the whole thing. But this may exceed page width, so u must change the page size or things like tat. Else u just cut out whichever column u like, then paste in another new excel doc, then print out that column
happy.gif

tianyun

Hi KK,

Hahhaa....wow...saw the listing...very detailed...going to open my new hse door on the 15th...so wish me luck :p

kerenelu

Hi eVon!!

Congrats!! U are now a proud house owner
happy.gif

So where is ur new flat?

yah, u really need some luck.. hahaa.. i have bad encounters with the HDB pple in repairing my defects.

tianyun

Hi KK!!!! Thank you so much...hehehe...ya very proud but hv to wait till 15th very funny...

Jurong West...

Really? So everything ok already???

meijia

Hi kk,

Thanks. I received the list oredi.

Hi eVon,

So envy you. Just got a letter from HDB that my flat will be delayed for 1 month and I need to postpone my wedding
sad.gif

tianyun

Hi Meijia,

Ohh...sorry to hear that. Yours walk-in? actually i defer my keys collection cos didnt want to crash with my rom, suppose to collect in aug :p:p
any reason given for the postpone? when's ur wedding? heard that reno can be done in a mth time

kerenelu

Hi meijia,

Where is ur new flat going to be? U delay because u want to stay in ur new flat once ur wedding over rite?

meijia

Hi kk & eVon,

Mine is balloting. I ballot last year Jan and the locate at Bukit Gombak.

My AD on 13 March and I am suppose to collect my keys end dec 2003. So reno a month, shld b able to shift in mid feb.

Now HDB delay 1 month. which means reno can only start early feb. Definitely not in time to finish everything and move in before March
sad.gif
I have ordered my furniture but still have to give allowance for some delay.

Previous HDB always release key abt 3 months before the ECD so we go ahead to plan our wedding.
Din know know we have to postpone.

Really a big headache now
sad.gif

tianyun

Hi Meijia,

Oic...the flats there like building very slowly. Heard that those are suppose to be for Hillview ppl and the rest are ballot isitz?

Gee...dun be sad, this is really very unexpected. So you going to postpone your wedding to when? Reno can be done but maybe very tedious for you cos hv to do the washing and cleaning up of the place...

meijia

Hi eVon,

Ya, there are for Hillview ppl who are enbloc. The rest for balloting.

I too find the construction very nice. I go there every 2 months to see and seems like nothing much done everytime.

I call HDB, they always say can't guarantee the date but will be end dec or early jan. Now worse, delay to end jan.

I think of postpone to mid April. At least have 3 wks to a month to tidy up and pack the place. Plus I still need to move all my things from my mum place. Dun know if i can do it so fast. I think I have to go there every day after work, then probably, can complete on time, haiz!!