"Guo Da Li (过大礼)" ??

kerenelu

Hi Hong,

My in laws almost intend to have a malaysian lunch. But then till now no news so think call off already.. kekkee... but anyway, if there is one, is it compulsory for the other side parents to attend?

etelle

wow...this custom thing is very "luan" , who will know how to do all these? i think both my parents and my pil dunno leh.

sgblingff

My mum also has no idea. Can anyone advice. Bride - Cantonese
Groom - Hokkien

Hi kerenelu, my in-laws grandparents also having a malaysian wedding dinner for their relatives. I am also not sure if my parents need to attend?

bonjon

Hi,

Need to info about guo da li, please refer to xin ming ri bao dated 09/10/2003 page 14. Read it, it's informative. Hope it help.

kerenelu

Hi All,

I just had my guo da li so memory still fresh :p
For those who need any info, i might be able to tell u what i know
happy.gif

Cheers!

cheers

hi sgblingff,

it's not up to parents to decide if they need to attend or not. it depends on ur in-law's grandparents whether they're inviting ur parents. usually, formality sake, they will invite the bride's parents with an invitation card.
i'm hakka, customs very similar to cantonese, and my hubby is hokkien. you may refer to my messages posted earlier in this thread..starting frm end-july.

kerenelu

Hi Gals,

My hubby is hokkien and me Hainanese. But i guess some things are pretty general. I will send to u the excel file. U are welcome to ask me anything u are not clear of lor
happy.gif

sg_oc

Hi kk,

Can I have a copy? How about the actual procedure? Do you know where can I get consultation for actual day stuff? I am hokkien and my hubby is cantonese. My email is [email protected]

sgblingff

Hi kk,
They only verbally say, so not sure will sent invitation card. But if my family cannot go, then it is rude. Do my family have to buy anything to make it up?

Can you also sent a copy of your Guo Da Li to me?
[email protected]

happiness

Hi kk,

Thanks, I got it already. It is really helpful.
happy.gif

BTW what is Yan2 Ji2

Hi soupie, I am sure you will find it useful ;)

kerenelu

Hi Happiness!

Yan2 Ji2 is in Hokkien. It is a red colour paper like thing, folded up into rectangular shape. Shops which sell marriage stuff should have it. And the pple will know as well
happy.gif

seabreeze

Dear Kk,

Can send me the list too?? [email protected]

May I know if it is necessary to appoint a feng shui master to choose the date for Guo Da Li? Cos my wedding date next year is early part of 8th month ... so was thinking that its quite impossible for me to have the Guo Da Li to be 2 weeks before the week liao .... not sure if I can just decide on a practical date =)

kerenelu

Hi Ladies!

Sent
happy.gif

Hi SeaBreeze,

My guo da li is picked by a temple auntie. My guo da li is roughly 1 mth away from actual day, and not 2 weeks which is the norm
happy.gif

kerenelu

Hi Dolphin,

The temple's auntie temple is at Geylang. I am not sure where exactly it is. Need to ask my mum abt it.

coven

its different thing.

ti ching is when the groom together with an elder come to the gal's place to ask for the hands in marriage (a formal practice la ... sometimes can do away with it .. depends on the parents). this is the time when actually the GDL items are being stated and negotiated also.

guo da li is the day when the items actually exchg hands.

i havent gone thru this part yet. we are doing away with the ti ching part. i'm the middle gal betwn both sides and so far, my FMIL states tat i just let them know wat the gal's side wants. and if there's any thing, we'll communicate thru the phone. anyway, they will hv the chance to meet formally ... which is on our ROM date.

fritt

Opps! I thought it's the same thing. Sorry Evon. :p If that's the case, i actually arrange both parents meet for food tasting 2 months ago to discuss what are the things, pin jin etc to prepare. I didn't realise it's some form of 'ti ching' then.

soupie

kk, got ur list...thanks!
happy.gif
very detailed.. wow.. i didn't know there's so many items involved.. i see until my head got giddy and i dun even understand wat each item is for! cos for me.. my mum said that she dun wan any suckling pig etc.. just want some cakes to give to relatives... and maybe some red toiletries... hehe

happiness, indeed.. it's very useful..
happy.gif

tianyun

hi coven,
thk u so much...so many mths or weeks before the customary? aiyo..my mum kept asking ppl and my neighbour told my mum ti ching must be one yr in adv..and my hubby said 2 weeks before...dunno who is rite...
so does it mean once both my hubby and me fixed the date just let both parents know and we can go ahead and book the venue?
ohh...i didnt expect to go thru customary so fast if not i will surely ask them do it during my rom...

hi fritt,
it's ok no problem...no one will know until one gets marry...

kerenelu

Hi Gals!

Ti Qing is no longer the "in" thing now. Most couples skip this process. But my mil insist to have one matchmaker coming over to my place for formality. U will be surprised that not everything is stated properly even when there is ti qing. Parents will sometimes add on and on to the list of items nearer to the guo da li date. This is normal
happy.gif

Hi eVon!

ti qing one year in advance??? Mine is only around 2-3 mths in advance of guo da li.. which means around 3-4 mths before actual day.. keke... anyway if u meet 1 yr in advance, everything may still change when the date draws near.. kekeee.. :p

Book venue for?

tianyun

hi kk,

gee....i really dunno abt anything since im the only child..
sorry i mean book the venue for the wedding dinner.

kerenelu

Hi eVon,

Ohhh i see, so u have not booked a date for customary? One of my friends went sourcing for hotels in advance despite tongshu not even out that time. Then he is frank lor and told hotel management that he is not able to commit a date but nonetheless he still leave his name there. Until recently then he finalise with one hotel and will be having wedding on new year's day
happy.gif

corodory

Hi KK
Appreciate if you can send me the list too [email protected]

Hope you gals can help me with some questions:

1) Can I decide on the GDL thingy with my mum? My hubby is working overseas and will only fly back one week before the customary and his parents are staying overseas too and will not be here for our customary as they are too old to travel.

2)Can I ask a friend to bring the GDL thingy to my mum on behalf of my hubby? Must this friend be a married woman or single woman also can?

tianyun

Hi kk,
yap yap...just only confirmed the customary date recently and yet to let my in laws know...ohh..good to be frank lor...so how? wat do u think i shld do the next step...

ralphine

Hi KK
Kindly share it with me at [email protected] Thanks!

I'm a cantonese while my hubby is Hainanese.I have no idea what the cantonese tradition going to be, what more about Hainanese! *heehee* I need you girls to help me especially for those who have went thro it! Thanks! Cheers!!!

kerenelu

Hi Ralphine,

Basically i think hainanese has the least custom.. kekekee... we were following more of the general custom and hokkien side. Not so much on hainanese.

Hi Corodory,

Of course u can decide on the guo da li thingy with ur mum. In fact parents should have more say in such traditional stuff. Think ur mum will know more about such things too
happy.gif

Regarding a friend carrying the things over, i am really not sure so can't advise u on that
sad.gif

Hi Evon,

Heeee, why not ask ur mum see what ur parents want? Most of the time the elders will be in a better position to decide those things. Sometimes we dun really know their expectations too.

coven

ya ya .. i agree with kerenelu. best to let the elders decide on the GDL stuffs. personally, this step is for them so we chose to follow as a form of respect lor. the only time when we 'youngsters' step in to decide is when there is a conflict or when there are no other elders who can make a firm decision.

tianyun

hi kk,
both of my parents and in-laws also dunno what they want and that's the worst part...
do you think my mum shld tell them how many tables she wants or vice versa?

okeanosmao

my GDL items v simple. my MIL wants GDL to be as simplified as possible. for my side,i hv less things to buy not like last time..but basic items like oranges, orange juice, towels still remain.

best to ask both parents what to buy.

hi kk,
yr mum shld tell them hw many tables she wan during ti qin and if not agreeable, yr hubby side can negotiate with her. set a date where both side are present to tok abt all these things. it wil be better to tok and discuss.