"Guo Da Li (过大礼)" ??

starlight80

gals,

can email me the list too?

And to clarify, Guo Da Li is usually 2 weeks before the AD, depending on inidividuals' auspicious dates. The other process, An Chuang, which I read in another thread, is usually a few days before the AD, again depending on indiv. auspicious dates.

How about "Ti Qin"? When should it be held?

My situation is like this. I ROMed in April this year and will be having my AD in Oct 06. We are renovating our place now and most prob will be moving in end of the year. So when should my FH side come to "Ti Qin"? My FMIL is like bo-chap kind, she did not mention anything and I do not want to ask my mum as she might think that it is the guy's side to initiate it.

My FH is thinking that maybe during the food tasting in June 06 den they "Ti Qin". Is that appropriate? And both sides parents may not have much to say coz they have only met once during our ROM.

Hope to hear some of your opinions. Thanks.

berniko

Hey guys...my FH is a eursian and i am a chinese and both of us are christian. But the problem is my parents are not christians. So we have to actually wait for my parents to check for good dates and there so many traditions that i thinkk both of us lost count of it.....

I am a teochew..so could anyone help me and let me know the basic things to follow and do.....

sharon__joseph

hi all, may i know wat is ti qin? my in-laws never express any intention to ti-qin and my mum also never mention anything so can we do without it? i m actually shopping for all the the guo-da-li stuff with my mum.. after that are we suppose to bring all the guo-da-li stuff to my in-law's house and 2weeks b4 AD we bring back to my mum's place? i m real confused! my mum only told me to bring the guo-da-li stuff to my own house so that i won't mess up her house! hheehee.. i real blur! now no one wants to keep the guo-da-li stuff for the time being.. hee

starlight80

Hi tweetie,

Now I have a rough idea. Thanks. So did your both sides' parents meet up before the ti qin date to discuss like the dowry, no of tables etc etc?

sharon, I tink ti qin is more of like a formal way to "ask for your hand" and discuss abt the wedding, eg no of tables, dowry, thgs for guo da li etc etc. Since you are already preparing for your guo da li, then your both sides shld be ok with no formal ti qin.

tweetie76

hi starlight
yes, u are right..actually my parents and PIL will meet during food tasting but my mum says ti qin must be on auspicious date..so ti qin is on another day.but they verbally discuss already lor, now is only waiting for the 'official' ti qin ..as for GDL stuff, i already brg my mum & mil to go and buy together. All the GDL stuff are now w my mum & MIL, she says i cannot brg back until GDL...so let it be lor..

starlight80

tweetie,

How about "An Chuang"? You said you did it on GDL day, which is abt 2 wks before AD. I thot after An chuang, cannot go inside the room and no one is supposed to touch the bed until AD? Den for the meantime, where u sleep?

Was your ROM and AD like quite apart like mine? Coz if it is so, not sure whether an chuang means have to buy new bed, mattress and bedsheets?

tweetie76

hi starlight
yup, my ROM was last yr..after An chuang, only hb & i can enter the room..i m still staying at my mum's plc..but ny hb is staying at our new hse liao..he can sleep in our study room, no prob at all..
no lah, an chuang not only means new mattress, bedsht plus some special 'ceremony'..i aso dunno wat, juz follow wat my mum say lor..do u hv yahoo messenger? add me in, we can discuss..

sharon__joseph

starlight,
after toking to my mum i think i roughly know wats ti-qin liao coz when my bro got married, my parents did went to my sis-in-law's house just to say hi and to discuss how many tables, cakes, which and wat traditions to follow etc.. din know ti-qin needs to be on an auspicious date thou.. anyway, i think since my in-law not very interested in the whole wedding thingy, i dun think they will b interested to meet my parents.. my mum asked me to bring the GDL stuff to my own house and 2weeks b4 AD to bring them back to her house can liao.. not necessary to inform my in-law..

starlight80

tweetie,

Sorry jus saw ur msg. Yup, I added you in liao.
happy.gif

kittyhello

hi gals,

i hv a question to clarify :

1) A red washing basin (for baby)
2) A "tam pui"

These 2 items bring during GDL or Actual day - our "Mei Po" during the "Ti Qin" says must follow the brides car on the actual day ???

ohstrawberry

Hi, kittyhello

I asked my mum, she said actually in olden days, these items have to bring with you on the actual day together with the rest of the furnitures and things to your husband hse or new hse. But now in modern days, some do without it, some just use ang baos as represent symbol and put together with GDL things and put in the new hse will do.
For my case, i had keep the angbaos in my bedroom wardrobe, my mum say cannot use the money inside, must keep until children grow up, hahaha, i think i have to keep very long cause i dun intend to have children so fast.
happy.gif

kittyhello

Oh so u mean in olden days, these 2 items are brought over on the actual day ?

This is the first time i heard abt bring these 2 items on actual day so would like to check anyone has the same procedure or not lor ...

the 'mei po' is arranged by my hubby's parents.

jasermine

hi kittyhello,

the 2 items - basin and spit spoon are to brought over during GDL. my GDL will be next week and am bringing them over. tis 2 items are consider as part of our dowry tt our parents gave us. (not in terms of $$) other else thing also inclu new clothes, embroidery basket, even bb bath tub and etc.

it really depends on hw much u wan to follow the tradition or rather the elders in both side of the family. otherwise like ohstrawberry said, tis days ppl use ang pao as replacement. cos couple find it mafan n useless for those stuff. as for me i meant to kept them for souvenir sake cos all are rather antique. keke...

hope it helps. me gettin gan cheong nw, making sure i got all stuff ready on tt day. so good luck to u too....

dapimon

Hiyee folks,

Spent a bit of time reading thru the entire thread...Juz to summarise & share...

For cakes, pls refer below:

• http://www.chozconfectionery.com/2005/wedding.html
• http://www.yilingcakes.com.sg/weddingf.htm

For GDL shops:

• Beauty World Centre #01-15 called HUP KEE COMPANY that sells all GDL related stuffs...Tel 6466 3626
• zhuo Qiu, a shop @ Jurong West, Blk 506 #01-180 Jurong West st 52, Tel: 6566 0311, 6566 0333 Ms Clara Pay, closed on mondays!! jurong west one is much more expensive but more presentable coz they do everything nice nice for u (eg. tie red ribbon)
• I bought my stuffs from Jur West also but not the one at 506, it's at 504. another shop selling at Jurong West. Blk 504 Jurong West St51 #01-229
• Chinatown Market. But pls avoid the shop @ Chinatown Market which is behind/opp CK, cos i find her stuff more expensive.
• this shop at bedok reservoir in blk 631 i think that sells a lot of such marriage stuff. And the boss know a lot of customs. Basically we tell him which dialect groups we are in and he will have one whole list of items
• GDL stuffs at Parkway parade market place
• (Biscuits) the shop I went to also do Hokkien. U may like to call and check:
Shop name: Thye Lee
Tel: 62889514
• My mum bought Jia chuang and some GDL stuffs from 1 of the shop at chinatown. Price very reasonable.
The address is:
Blk 335, Smith Street, #01-229, S050335.
Chinatown Complex.
Name of the shop: K.K. Antique Centre.
Tel: 62251185 / 98483013 / 94362058
There are 2 sisters tending the stall, very friendly n helpful. My mum spent only $98 for my Jia zhuang stuffs.
• www.fengshuijiafang.com

Hope the above helps...

totodilez

Hi Dapimon,
Thanks for the posting..really helps. Called the Choz confectionary..dun know if its because the TCS artiste go there buy cakes very attitude! Really pissed my off...sorry....just very angry and pissed just now...

totodilez

Hi Kitty,
They say they need 1 to 2 months in advance for booking. So i told them my is kinda of late already. Ask them if they cld make it. Then they ask me to confirm to book then they can tell me they can make it or not. And they were so damn rude. Very upset with them.

totodilez

ya 2-3 working days is the norm. I called the other bakery with the link in Dapmion post also.
The rude one i called is Choz Bakery. Thanks for ur link. I think i will consider other bakery. Really hate Choz attitude. Though was quite impressed with their website.

kittyhello

hi gals,

U all getting the round one or indiviual pieces (total 8-9 pcs) for the GDL cakes ?

I tried the Prima deli - not bad - not very sweet especially for old ppls.

winterbabylon

hi gals,

my mum told me that during guo da li, my fh have to give "wash diapers" ang pow to my parents. do any of u know what is the market rate for "wash diapers" ang pows?

thanks in advance.

jasermine

hi gals,

u all can try www.kyo.com.
their price are reasonable and they provide free name printing on the box. free delivery for those >$100 orders too. already placed an order with them as my GDL will be on tis coming sat. tink need only 4 days in advance to place order.

rachiru

Hi Dapimon,

Your infor is very useful..Thanks for sharing!!As for the GDL stuffs,itz the shop where have 2 store next to each other,opp sell 2nd hand hp?? their things very nice.. tat day went to market for food & passby the shop!! Feel like buying those stuff on the spot..hehe!! can't wait to marry off

dapimon

Hiyee....

No prob....since collating for my info also....
moreover, it's oni once in a lifetime event...hope every1 of us will hv a great time preparing...

kittyhello...i hvnt got my stuff yet...

Rachel...not bery sure cos I obtained all the info from this thread contributed by several ppl out there...

jasermine

hi cheezz,

pai seh abt the website, left out the 'sg' behind. yap i find their price ok. n their hv marble cakes, handy pack n even traditional types. wide choice i wld say. their marble cake also in the shape of a heart instead of the usual round ones.

hi sharon,

haven tried the cakes yet la since GDL on wkend. will post up next week to let u noe ok.

jasermine

hi sharon,

hmm...the kyo cakes are ok. my relatives all say nt bad and the cakes looks nice. the cakes are soft bt the cake tarlet so so only. hence u may consider order the 1 w/o the cake tarlet...

i ordered the handy pack ones with heartshape cakes, swiss roll n cake tarlet. be prepare tt the cakes are small as compared when u seen on the website. mus be careful when carrying them, as some of the cakes inside the boxes topple over...(the first row of heart shape cakes, as seen on the website)

my comments overall they are ok. delivery also on time. the handy pack are really small n handy to carry.

cheetah

hi jasermine
how was ur GDL ? busy rite?
i thk we will order from bengawan solo..mum prefers 'round' shape cake iso heart one..;P

jasermine

hi chezz,

oh glad the day is over. busy busy busy.. my parents also blur liao tt day as to wat to take n wat to give bk n hw many etc. took photo of the stuff n sme candid shots. distribute the cake after tt lo...overall still quite fun la...bt tired.

bengawan solo also hv free delivery lo above $100. so ok la..since ur mum like tt. also easier to deliver as will nt mess up. so whens ur GDL? lookin forward? is really quite an experience...hehe. hope u enjoy..

cheetah

hi jasermine
didn;t ur parents & pil discuss before that?
my ti qin just over last wk, GDL will be next mth lor..

cajoof

hi all,

Does both the bride and groom have to be around for the GDL? I happen to have some work commitment clash and now I need to know if it's absolutely necessary for me to be around... sigh...

Appreciate any advise on this. Thank you!

jasermine

hi jacquelyn,

yes groom n bride shld be ard on the day of GDL. if an chuang then nvm. otherwise i tink u hv to re-select another auspicious day for GDL. i also choose another date due to sme issue.

hi chezz,

on tt day of GDL, like gan cheong spider one. even noe how many stuff to return, mind also in a whirl. keke...also maybe there is too many ppl ard for my GDL, thus abit messy.

hi kittyhello,

hmm...most "xi" i hv seen are in red. red cant make it ah? otherwise i tink u got to go chinatown n chk it out. cos plenty of shops there selling wedding stuff. can try ur luck.

cheetah

hi jasermine,

did u send out all invitation cards on the day of GDL ? me not doing tt..only hb come to my plc to exchange stuff..but we have a big prob now..bcos we dun own a car..dunno how leh~~so much things~~

jasermine

hi chezz,

nope i didnt send all the cards during GDL. only to some relatives since distribute cakes to them. n ask for their help to pass some cards to others too. for our frens n colleagues, we only send them out tis week. dun tink is an issue nt to give the cards during GDL lo. ur cards nt ready yet?

oh..guess the only sol.is take cab otherwise hv to ask fren for help. my fren also took cab during her GDL. bt she bring a number of big n heavy stuff like pillows, bedsheet etc over to her hubby's place beforehand to reduce the hassle on the actual day. u can consider if u dun mind or ur parents dun mind.

for me i used 2 cars tt day. at least 4-5 ppl to help carry the things down. initial we wan to ask fren for help to transport the things, jus happen the auntie whom came with my hubby for GDL drives...so jus nice hv 2 cars. still hv time for u to plan since ur GDL next mth..
happy.gif

cheetah

no leh, my mum & mil says GDL stuff can only bring on the AD..some more there are so much..i aso maloo to take cab.
my mum will be praying on that day lor..i already distributed cards to my frens, but not relatives yet.

jasermine

oh like tt then no choice liao. cos my fren parents n pil dun mind as very mafan for them cos they no drive. so u better fast fast chk out with ur fren who drives tp "save" u. ur cards are out so fast. planning to give the cards to ur relative when distributing cakes?