Grand Hyatt Singapore

jenny

hi

we're looking around for hotels that will take 20 tables with price range between 700-800nett.
Hyatt is one of the hotels on our list, could anyone kindly gicve us some comments about their services?
thanks a lot!

blee

Hi Jenny,

Hyatt had a bad reputation of their food previously. But I heard they have improved alot recently.

regards

blee

Hi Jenny,

My friend is having her wedding at Hyatt next month but I would not be able to attend. Will ask for her feedback after that.

Stay tuned :)

honey

Hey Jenet,

I have also book Hyatt for my wedding.
I heard comments that the food is yucks, but have since improve alot.

Just went for food tasting last week, it was great, thou i think it wont be as nice on the day itself.

But overall, my parents and his parents think the food is good.

I especially like the prawn with Thai toppings.... yum yum!

Hope my guest will think so on my wedding day.

btw, when's ur wedding? u book so early in May 1999? i book mine in Nov 1999, and my wedding on Nov 2000.

soo

Honey,

Is the food tasting at Hyatt included in your banquet package or do you have to paid for it?

J

jenet

hi honey,

thanks for sharing the "food tasting experiences" with us...coz we've decided not to hold a food tasting session.
my wedding banquet will be held in May 2001. i place the booking two weeks ago.
guess it's not hot season in May so we have lots of dates open to choose from.
by the way, which room are you using for your banquet?
i'm using hibiscus room on the third floor.

honey

Jenet,

The food tasting cost $380+++, cos my mother in law insist on having it. They actually "close" a ballroom for us to have the food tasting, so the whole ballroom (small one) only have 1 table, with a Waitress and Captain serving us.

I book the Sir Stamford Room. It has one of the nicest decor, i think. However, it can only accomodate up to 30 tables max.

Chin Leng,

can u move our message to another title? eg, Hyatt or banquet?

C

chin leng

Hi Honey,

Yeap! Migrated your message here as requested.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

annie

Hi all

Hmm....I thot food-tasting is complimentary? Hmmm.....

I attended a wedding at Hyatt just last Sunday, think the food is alright, the shark's fin soup is quite tasty. But one thing I didn't quite like was the service, they had a lot of waiters and waitresses around, but service still wasn't prompt enough, my friend had to ask 3 times for a baby chair before it arrived. Another thing I thought was odd was that there weren't any spot lights at all during the march in. It was like, the MC announces their arrival, then the music starts, then u haf to start looking out for them in semi-darkness, there weren't any lights on them at all. Same goes for the first dish entrance. The music played for about 5 minutes before the waiters appeared with the dishes. But apart from this, I think they are quite ok.

honey

Annie,

which ballroom is that?
thanks for ur comments, we'll make sure such things dunt happen at ours!

uma

hi annie

please tell us which room was that?
i'm using hibiscuc room on the third floor...is it the same one?
uma

C

chin leng

Hi all,

I attended a wedding dinner at Hyatt sometime last week. I also found the service was below average. I didn't think too much of it as I thought it was only my table until I read the posting by Annie.

The ballroom I went to was on the second floor.

Anyway, I had waited for 15 mins and no one asked me if I wanted a drink! I had to call for the waiter. Same thing happened to my 2 friends at the same table. I think the ballroom I was in also had no spotlight while the couples walk in.

We also had to wait quite a while before the first dish enters. The song they used was Desert Rose by Sting. Click Desert Rose to hear the sample.

Annie, was this the song you heard?

Regards,
Chin Leng.

honey

u mean u guys could have been to the same wedding dinner?

can i know the ballroom pls? hope its not the ballroom i booked :p

uma

hi honey,

i guess the room annie and chin leng talk about could be sir stanford room, on the second floor.

annie and chin leng: did you go to the room by escalator? if yes, then it should be sir stanford.

C

chin leng

Hi Honey and Uma,

I didn't go to the same wedding dinner as Annie. Mine was on a weekday. But it would have been a great coincidence if we were at the same dinner. :)

Yeap! I did go to the room by escalator. There was another ballroom on the third level.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

honey

Sir Stamford Room is on Mezzanine Flr, which is their so call 1st flr, I think.

Chin Leng & Annie, do u know the ballroom's name?

annie

Hi all

Yea I went to the ballroom by the escalator...hmm can't really remember which level it was on (maybe third), but it was called the 'Grand Ballroom' (erm dunno whether this helps :p) and it could hold 65 tables. One other thing which happened to a guest at my table was the waiter spilled the noodles he was distributing onto the poor guy. Dunno, maybe coz that particular waiter is new. But they were giving out the last noodle dish, then for some reason they decided it was better to split it up, but instead of doing it on the table, the waiter took the big plate of noodles and went round the table to scoop them into the bowls, hence the spill. I thot this arrangement is rather strange, as they distributed the rest of the dishes on the table. For all Hyatt brides, maybe you'd like to highlight this to the banquet manager.

Chin Leng, nope the first dish entrance song I heard wasn't Desert Rose, it was some other strange song I had never heard before. Yea it would have been great if we were at the same reception ;) What did you eat?

lizzy

Hi all,

I've also booked the Stamford room in Hyatt. I've got a friend who recently went for a wedding at Hyatt in August and said the food was great. She had no complains about the service too (but that could be due to the fact that she's at the VIP table). But I've heard from others that they tend to use part-time waiters/waitresses which explain the poor service. Any idea how we can over come this?

C

chin leng

Hi all,

I managed to find the invitation card and confirm the ballroom's name. Yeap, my friend's wedding dinner was held at Sir Stamford ballroom and the deco was nice too.

Hi Annie,

Can't remember what I had as we were too busy thinking schemes to 'sabo' the couple. :p

Regards,
Chin Leng.

Hi Honey n Jenet,

I'm probably going to sign with Hyatt... probably Hisbiscus Room on a weekend. Besides what's stated in the package, what else could I ask for? What about chair covers, chocolates (instead of fruit cakes) etc... Any other hidden cost I have to consider?

Thanks.

hwey

Hi Newbie.

Hyatt provides two nite's accomodation, right? If you want only one nite, can exchange the second night for something else?

And....you mean seat covers not provided????? How much do they charge? Are seat covers important?

honey

think they charge $2 per seat covers, can try to ask them to throw in.

u can ask for a free barrel of beer?

lizzy

Hi Honey and Newbie

Thot they were charging $3 for seat covers and $2 for sash? Seat covers and sash will be free for the VIP table but got to pay for the rest of the tables. One additional point to note is that they do not have champagne pouring. I was told that we can swap the fruit cake with chocolate cake but not sure about chocolates.

beth

Hi all,

If I remember correctly, you can swap the fruit cake with choco cake but need to top up if you want chocolates instead.

honey

My chair covers r complimentary (we have some connections), so i cant quite remember,
either $2 or $3. Sash is at $2.

I swap Fruit Cake for Brownies, no charge.

For champagne, I'm using the one given to me in my bridal suite.

Hope these helps!

J

jenet

hi Newbie,

i've tried to bargain for some free beer but to no avail.
so i tried to exchange the second night stay with 30 liter but they only give 20.

for chair cover, they wouldn't give in.
my bargaining was weak because i'll have only around 20 tables dinner. i guess if you're having around 25 tables they should be more willing to consider your request.

i'm also using hibiscus room.now my concern is: it would be rather dark for both march in and photo shooting.

when will be your wedding banguet?

beetle

I just attended a wedding at Hyatt ... in the ballroom on the 2nd level (cannot remember the name).

Food was ok, but the ballroom was too dark. Could hardly see what we were eating !!

Hi Jenet,

My dinner is at June 2001. Guess my bargaining power was weak too (unlike Honey with connections :p)

Exhchange 2nd nite stay with 20 l beer, choc fudge cakes instead of fruit cakes. Chair covers a flat fee of $500.

Is your wedding on a weekday? I wanted a weekend and was told that the minimum no. of tables for hibiscus is 25.

lizzy

Hi Newbie,

You mean U managed to bargain for the chair covers at a flat fee of $500? How many tables do you have? Is the better rate part of the exchange for the 2nd nite stay?

J

jenet

hi newbie

i'm actually paying $20 more per table for the weekend wedding because not able to meet the min tables (i'm having 20 tables only)

once we went down to the the actual setting for banquet(it is a standard one: everything included in the package) and it looked nice, so we decided to place the deposit with them.

Hi Lizzy,

I have 25 tables, flat fee of $500 for all the chair covers, nothing to do with the 2nd nite stay exchange.

T

toastie

Hi all
Discovered this website some weeks ago and found it really useful. Especially this forum with all the useful feedback.

I'm considering Grand Hyatt for my wedding too.
Grand Hyatt has a few ballrooms so was wondering whether anyone who had held their wedding there before had any complaints with the service provided since there could be more than one weddings going on that nite ?

Would appreciate if anyone could give me any comments on Hibiscus and Sir Stamford Room.

Hi Jenet,

Just found out that a close fren is having his wedding dinner at Hyatt on 27 May 2001. Err, is your wedding on that day too? hehe... me kaypo :þ

J

jenet

hi Newbie,

my dinner is on May 6th 2001.
which room your fren is using? if it happen to be hibiscus room, maybe i can give her some useful suggestions after our dinner^_^

P

princessp.

Hi all Hyatt Brides

I'm also member of the Hibiscus Room Club. hahahaha
My Date is June 2001 on a weekend, so pls feedback when yours is done.

I don't know whether my bargaining worked, but as I didn't want some fo the package stuff, they were exchanged for other stuff.

Things we didn't want: the invitation cards (not to our taste), the dummy wedding cake (getting a real cake), the first-anniversary dinner voucher (we're moving overseas after the wedding).

What I got in exchanged: flat corkage for wine at 200 bucks. (we're only having wine, not beer), white seat covers for all at 280 bucks, and 800 bucks for real 3-tiered cake (real cost minus cost of dummy cake I didn't want). Also dunno whether kenna cheated.

Like you all, I swapped the boring fruit cake with brownies.

I chose the Hyatt because I liked the decor. I actually really liked the dark color theme in the Hibiscus Room. My parents preferred the pastel colored Sir Stanford Rm. The other reason why I chose Hibiscus over Stamford is that it can only hold 28 tables, so the parents can't invite their boatload of friends I don't even know.

Ok, I'm so evil :)

C

chin leng

Hi PrincessP,

You still need to watch your parents guest list. Mine grew by a few tables in the last few weeks to my wedding. Good thing the hotel still have the capacity to accomodate.

My friend's parents guest list grew until she reached the limit of the ballroom and she end up not inviting the colleagues.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

T

toastie

Hi PrincessP

Thanks for your feedback on Hibiscus room and Sir Stamford room. Really appreciate :)

I'll be having around 28 tables...but likely that it might expand to another 2, so I guess I'll probably take Sir Stamford room. I really like both rooms....:)

Going down tomorrow to discuss further with the catering sales manager...the last time, we bargained for a 20L barrel of beer...not sure whether we can get more out of the discussion tomorrow before we sign on the contract. :)

By the way, who did you speak to from the catering sales department ?

J

jenet

hi Hyatt Brides,

one thing i concern about using hyatt's rooms is the "lighting".

i've seem some actual day photos taken in sir stamford room: very dull.

since i'll be using hibiscus room (which seems even darker, but i've not seen photos taken from this room)
i would like to know if anyone has any comments?

princessp

Hi Chin Leng,

Yes that could happen. But there's nothing they can do about it, since I'm not budging on hibiscus room.

Our policy is we're only inviting the relatives, and very close friends and very very close colleagues.

We're solving the parents guest list problems by giving them 2 tables each and they can 'rank' their own friends and decide who gets to come.

I know this sounds bad, but i don't really care whether my parents friends turn up. Afterall, I don't even know them, and as such it doesn't matter whether they are there or not.

I also know others say this is not my wedding, but my parents, but it's the new millenium for goodness sake! It's time to make a stand.

Obviously, my parents aren't very happy about it, but I told them I will budge on everything else except the number of tables issue. So I chose the battle I wanted and am saying yes to everything else as a compromise. eg. we didn't want the studio and wedding pics, but the parents wanted, so we said OK, among other things.

Thanks for the warning though!

C

chin leng

Hi PrincessP,

You are one brave woman of the millennium! :)

Regards,
Chin Leng.

E

experience

Hi,
I attended a wedding dinner @ Hyatt 2 weeks ago. The services not that fantastic - waiters too a long time to serve us our drinks. But generally quite good experience.

The dinner started late, but they did not rush us through the dishes - which came as a surprise.

Ask for Billy's service. Quite an approachable person!

J

jenet

hi experience,

thanks for sharing these with us.
still remember which ballroom was that?
how was the food?

thanks in advance!
Jenet

E

experience

I think it's Grand Ballroom 2. The food is relatively good, I must say. I suppose the dinner is on the higher range.