Goodwood Park Hotel

clare

Any comment about the week day banquet" food, service and decoration ? Understand there will be chair cover without any charges ????

uma

hi clare,

i went down to goodwood park three months ago to check out the ballroom and talked to the manager(forget her name^_^)
if i'm not wrong, at that time she told me the chair covers are not included. are they now having promotion?
the main reason i didn't book the dinner with them is because of the deco of the ballroon...a bit old.
however i've heard people said the food there is very good.
for similar charges, maybe you can also consider other five star hotels. don't rush while making decision.

clare

Hi Uma,

I talked to the manager Faissal he told me the package include the chair cover. I agreed that the ballroom a bit old and also there are not flexible you cannot swap anything from them. Because my only 22table ..... Any suggestion which 5 star should i consider, really lost....

uma

hi clare,

actually i'm facing the same problem...i guess i can more or less know how you're feeling...
we're having only 20 tables for our dinner(i'm not singaporean so not many relatives/friends from my side)

we've checked most of the hotels that take 20 tables: good wood park,regent, grand corpthorne, four season, traders(but it's a 4 star) holiday inn (4 star also),hilton and mandarin.

we didn't like the tangling room from regent as the deco not very nice, grand corpthorne only accept 20 tables for weekday dinner, four season too expensive, traders' medium ballroom too narrow and long and the grand one has two huge pillars, holiday inn funny march in route, hilton ballroon too old and manradin will be under renovation between Feb-Sep in year 2001!

i was feeling very frustrated at that time also.

at last we decide to book the dinner with grand hyatt even the comment on their food not very good(no other choices actually)
both hibiscus room and sir stamford room take min 20 tables.

you can call them and go down to see their actual settings for dinner. both of the rooms are nice. we took hibiscus room as it looks more romantic.

maybe you can go down to take a look. hope the experiences i shared here will somehow provide some help to your dinner venue searching

serlee

Hello,

Does anyone has comments about Goodwood Park Hotel? Besides being the ballroom a bit old, is the food there really VERY NICE??

headache

Hello, Ive made a tentative booking with Goodwood. Ive viewed the ballroom. I personlly feel that the ballroom is acceptable and not too old. And with further deco and stuff, it should look cosy and romantic. Besides, I was told by many people that the food is good.

abc

I've just attended a friend's wedding at Goodwood. Decor is OK, quite cosy. Food is good, esp. the cold dish (lobster, duck and spring roll). Sound system not very good, can hear crackling sounds when music is on loud. Overall i would rate it very good.

cheer

Gosh... sound system not good? gosh... anyone has any remedy?
I will be having my wedding at Goodwood next May... and i really care about music and all sound stuff... Chin Leng what should i do?

mudpie

Been to a few wedding dinners last year, the most memorable in terms of food being: Grand Hyatt, Goodwood Park and Carlton! Grand Hyatt's menu was a bit different from the rest, so it was very good
happy.gif

Seriously, I think the food at Goodwood was very good, and I rarely praise food served in wedding banquets!

cheer

hi Mudpie,

how abt the sound system.... do u remember anything about bad sound quality?
if yes, how bad is that?
please advice, thanks!

christine

i was at goodwood park recently. sound system is fine. i think it's a great place cos the venue is exclusive and it has a fabulous reception area.

C

cooeying

HOw abt the other restaurant within the goodwood park hotel. Anyone tried the chinese restaurant down at the carpark. Wat abt York Hotel ballroom I heard they all belong to the same goodwood group.anyone has any advice.

mudpie

Hi Cheer,

Sorry, can't comment on the sound system because the couple did not have any fanciful audio-visual display, only an emcee. Nothing wrong with the system, as far as that is concerned.

Wish I could be of more help
happy.gif

tango

Hi,

Any would-be brides considering Goodwood for 2002-2003 ?

The draw is that it's one of the few rare hotels that have an exclusive waiting area for table qtys of 22-30. Most other hotels kick you to one of the smaller rooms, whilst the big weddings take centrestage. I'm referring to weekends.

Of cos, the other choice is Four Seasons, but the price tag is really "wow" too.

mag

Hello, anyone can provide the wedding package for Goodwood for both wkday and wkend for yr 2002-2003? Do they allow Duty Paid Liquor and possible to negotiate freebies with them? thanx....

bumblebee

Hi,
went down to Goodwood Park last weekend. Thinking of signing up with them. However, noticed that the ballroom seems a little small to fit in 25 tables.
Would like to check with anyone who has attended weddings at Goodwood Park, or who have had their weddings at Goodwood - was the layout very cramped?

Thanks!

PS. When I did a comparison of size of ballroom with Goodwood and Four seasons (both of which said that they could take up to 30 tables), realised that Four seasons ballroom is about double the size of that of Goodwood Park.

wei

hi,

i signed up with goodwood park hotel....
not gone for my food tasting yet...my dinner's on march 2002.
glad to hear the food there is good...except i feel the place is too small though...

niko

Hi there !

Just gathering some comments about the wedding coordinators/consultants in Goodwood Park. Does anyone know whether this senior banquet manager by the name of Moh Hussein is good ? Find him a bit stuck up but he can make decisions because of his position.

Very tempted to sign up with this hotel as my FH and I simply love the cosiness and exclusivity, though the ballroom is rather small. Nevertheless, it still can accommodate my requirement of 25 tables. Food quality wise definitely not a concern as I heard a lot of good comments.My main concern is about the coordinator as I want the event to be smooth sailing on my big day. I have heard stories of coordinator screwing up the entire event and lead to very unpleasant consequences. I certainly do not want that to happen.

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks

D

damnchobo

Does anyone heard of Goodwood hotel having the wedding banquet NOT in the ballroom, but at some sort of "terrace" set-up? I heard from a friend who attended a small wedding there. Said he likes the atmosphere, and that it's not in the main ballroom. I can't find any info about that on goodwood website... Any info appreciated.

junebrides

Hi Damnchobo

are you refering to the marquee? If you are, maybe I can share with you what I know. The banquet manager told me that the marquee is not a permanent feature at Goodwood. If I remember correctly, it is up only for a couple of months, mainly from Nov to Feb...You could call them up to confirm.

D

damnchobo

Hi junebrides,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, probably that's it.
The marquee. Have you attended a wedding there? Would like to know the details -- like day/night time? general cost? response from guests?

Also, if you have the contact / email address of the banquet manager, that will be great. I can contact him/her directly. THANKS!

junebrides

hi damnchobo

I have not attended any wedding there.It is just that when I was trying to choose a venue for my wedding banquet, we went down to Goodwood Park for a look. I do not have the contact number for the banquet manager since it is almost a year since I went there.

You could just call up Goodwood park general line (avaiable from this website) and ask to be transfered to catering sales/ banquet sales.

clover

Hi all,

I've signed up with Goodwood as well. My dinner is in June this year. The reception entrance looks pretty grand. We love the cosy and romantic atmosphere. Glad to hear that the food is good too. Hmm, crackly sound system? Hope it won't sound too bad.

CLoVeR

D

damnchobo

Hi CLoVeR,
Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
Just curious, is your wedding going to be in the ballroom or marquee? Also, if it's the ballroom, my concern is that the ceiling is a little bit too low. Not sure if it's a factor. Maybe it doesn't matter if you have the decor, etc. I'm also looking for a "cosy and romantic" atmosphere. Probably will have 20 tables max. how about you?

cheer

hi CLoVeR and damnchobo,

i am having my banquet at the Tudor Ballroom in May
happy.gif
so happy to know we share the same likings for the cozy n romantic atmosphere
happy.gif
yes the exclusive reception area and long corridor really caught us ... we fell in love with the place the minute we saw it too..

damnchobo, the min no. of tables for Tudor ballroom is 22 tables... thats the number we are looking at too
happy.gif
as we dont have many friends to invite..

clover

Hi damnchobo,

Mine is in the ballroom. The low ceiling was something I was concerned with in the beginning. We did go down to take a look when the decor was up and really, it doesn't really matter, cos with decor, it looks really cosy, sweet and romantic. I have to date 26 tables. Unfortunately for us, we would have tables behind the pillars.

CLoVeR

D

damnchobo

Hi clover/cheer,
GREAT! Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that you like the ballroom and the decor. Maybe I should pop in your weddings to check out the set-up...
happy.gif
Well, hope preparations are going well for you. As for me, I'm looking at either a November 2002 (too late to book?) date or a March 2003 date.
-- damnchobo...

joie

hi cheer,

intend to have my dinner next year. m now very confused between pan pac , sheraton n goodwood.....

checked with goodwood, the chair covers w/bows cost like 8+++ .. and the floral deco are charged separately ...

is yours like that ?

pls help ........

cheer

hi joie,

we were given seat covers FOC, not sure whether they come with bows attached, the manager told us they cost $5 each...
this was what we got after bargaining like mad, Mo insist not giving an extra barrel of beer but he gave us the seat covers and waivage of cockage instead...
i don't remember being charged for the floral decor...
let me check with FH n get back to u again
happy.gif

then again, the package details might have been revised for 2003, but if u try to bargain ur way thru, u might get what u want
happy.gif

Sheraton seems a good choice too, i like the ambience of their ballroom but quite ex ya?

juz curious, what is the price of a (weekend)table for GWP in 2003?

joie

hi cheer thx !!

waiting 4 ur other info about goodwood ;)

u know what's their floral decor like ?
they said that the pricing is still the same, sat 708+++, sun 688+++ ;p the management hasn't made any changes yet ;)

mi very poor at bargaining so hope i can do my best .....

D

damnchobo

Hi!
Does anyone know where I can find pictures / photos of the tudor ballroom in goodwood park on the web? Or better yet, anyone has a website of wedding photos at goodwood?
thanks.

jinette

hi there !! ;p

mi booked my banquet with goodwood ;p

didn't really bargain anything except exchange my barrel of beer for the waiver of corkage for the wine....

i dunno what other freebies to get ? any advise ?
thanks ;p

D

damnchobo

hi jinette,
i'm going to book with goodwood as well!
happy.gif

hmm... when u paid the deposit, did they list down in details the items they would include in the package?
i'm trying to find out about what to bargain for too...
i have a list of things to ask them about:
- seat covers - charge? with bows attachment?
- extra beer ?
- floral decor - free? charge for foyer/hallway decor?
- pieces of choc instead of fruit-cake for guests
- invitation cards - printing cost?
- entry dry-ice effect - no need, exchange for ... ?
- 1st anniversary dinner voucher - no need, exchange for ... ?
- parking for guests?

D

damnchobo

clover leaf and cheer,
if you're still reading this thread, care to shed some light on what to negotiate for in the banquet package for goodwood? thanx.
happy.gif

btw, i asked to see an actual wedding setup at goodwood and was told earliest will be in May 2002. hmm... have a feeling that would be cheer's wedding!
happy.gif
(cheer, ready for yr big day?)

jinette

hi !! so glad someone responded ;p ;p

nope.. they said they will send me a contract which is amendable coz it's still a bit early .. if i 'm not wrong they revised during sep so m going to wait till then coz the package might change... not really sure

the seat covers r free , did not ask the bows thingy...floral decor free .. white roses
it's fruit cake.
dunno about the printing cost.
Free parking .. 1st come 1st serve
real wedding cake is @47+++ per kg min 10kg
can have a combi of traditional n western cards
free 20 litre which m swapping for free waiver corkage for wine

the gal is quite flexible ;p

when's cheers wedding ?

cheer

hi gals,

wow... so many messages... sorry really bizy lately, did not log on often :p
my wedding is on 18May.. and juz saw the construction going on at Goodwood Park entrance! called up the banquet manager and he told us not to worry as it will b done by my wedding......
a little worried now..
sorry me quite blur with the banquet details, will b having my food tasting this Sunday afternoon, prob will ask Mo more abt the flora arrangement... i dun like white roses leh... hope there are some other choices...

as you have read earlier on, the banquet manager we negotiate with is Mo, he isnt very flexible with bargains... we did not get much really. i think the GWP staff isnt so aggressive to get biz as they only have one ballroom to sell ... its' exclusiveness and good food seems attractive enough for most and hence they are not so keen to throw in a lot of freebies....
we did ask to exchange the 1st anniversary voucher for something else but they didnt relent... so...

have u gals seem the bridal suite.. dun quite like it though.. any of u all upgrading?

jinette

hi cheer ;p

the 1st wedding in May is on the 11th ;p
so u need not wori ;p
anyway, i also asked about the reno and Selina told mi it will be done within 2wks ;p

i did ask for lilies but she say i have to top up coz they have a contract with the florist ....

looking forward to ur feedback on the foodtasting ;p anyway, hw did u get it on a sunday ??

haven't seen the bridal suite yet.. hmmm.. muz go take a look

E

excited26

Hi gals,

Me also very interested in Goodwood as the min no. of tables of 22 is jus right for me!!!...Going down to the hotel this Sat to view the ballroom...and I'm dealing with Moh...(who refused to tentative book a date for me since I haven't gone down to view the place... ;-( )
How did you gals find him?....

BTW, thot that GWP already waive corkage?...why the need to exchange your beer for it?...even the seat covers got to negotiate really hard?

Is it easier to negotiate with Serina?....then maybe I "swop" co-ordinator

Thanks in advance for your comments!!!

jinette

hi excited26,

hard liqour corkage is waived not the wine ;p

i didn't really neg. with her. just ask her some things that's all

the seat covers comes together with the package ;p
mi gave her the cheque without really settling everything, guess i was too desperate to get the date ;p

;p juz find selina nice n pleasant. dunno bout moh..

i find GWP's package to my liking especially the menu ...
happy.gif

D

damnchobo

hello everyone, thanks for all the replies!
just paid the deposit...
happy.gif
i think Goodwood park's package is quite good to begin with.
some details of package:
- seat covers included in the package.
- reduce corkage charge for wine (keeping the beer, not exchanging it).
- floral decor included in pkg, but need to top up if using other more expensive flowers.
- choice of either cake or choc. for guests
- 1st anniversary dinner voucher - keeping it.
- parking for guests? Free for all!
also, neg for lower min number of tables to 20 @ 618+++. and extra nights stay at goodwood park at reduced room rate.

E

excited26

Hi, thanks for the response!

BTW, how much deposit are you required to put up?

D

damnchobo

jinette,
yup, mine is on a friday in nov 02.
some fengshui/"ba-zi" master computed the date.
how abt yours?

jinette

mine's on sat and the price difference is 90+++
sad.gif

hiazzzz.... didn't go to a "master"...
juz choose the weekend available that's all

cheer

hi jinette and all,

mine is on a saturday too.... and we did not go to any "master", juz picked a weekend too
happy.gif

here is what i gathered at the food tasting:
camphor n tea smoked duck is wonderful (though not very good in presentation)
the suckling pig assorted cold dish is good (only thing is too much mayo on prawns;
serving of sharks fin is generous (although i dun like sharks fin);
the lotus rice is moist and tasty (but seems too much at the end of the banquet (can hardly finish but its a good substitude of the commonly seen e-fu noodles);
steam Garoupa in soya sauce is fresh and tasty;
prawn with sweet bean pod and pine nuts is refreshing.

other comments: My dad n mom says they add too much MSG

jinette

hi cheer ;p

which dessert n veg did u choose ?

hmm.. mi deciding to get invitation cards from elsewhere coz theirs seem quite "plain"

i recv the receipt for my deposit.. so did u meet up with them again regarding the contract or they mailed u the contract ?

sori, a bit lost at the moment ..;p

cheer

hey jinette,

why everytime u make faces at my nicname har? ;p ;p (give u back)
biggrin.gif

we thought the invitation cards looked plain too... but after a while we got used to it too
happy.gif

but well its a blessing in disguise really, when we went to print the inserts we pay only $60 for 200pcs!! coz we can exchange the blank inserts with the printer !! so we save on the paper inserts mah
happy.gif
but of course if u are eager to design ur own, its good also mah

think they will mail the contract to u, for my case, FH went to collect from Mo as his office is juz opposite GWP
happy.gif

we chose "Hundred years Sweet Harmony" and "Jade Broccoli with Dried Scallop"
happy.gif

how abt u? what u have in mind?

jinette

hi cheer ;p

mi like to use ;p.... not making faces at ur nick..

so cheap 4 the printing cost !! does the hotel provide all the 220 pcs of invitations ?.. dun understand the part about exchanging the inserts ?

m choosing red bean paste n jade broccoli..
actually , i wanted the wedding cake to be the dessert but selina insisted it would be too costly ;(

so will u be changing the flowers ?

D

damnchobo

hi cheer,
ready for the upcoming wedding?
happy.gif

remember to update us on your experience with goodwood park, and post pictures (if available digitally) of your wedding!!
... and a BIG CONGRATS!

cheer

hi jinette and damnchobo,

having jitters right now, getting more n more stressed each day... lotsa miscellaneous stuff coming up last minute. Luckily things with GWP is okay up to this point.

jinette... wedding cake for desert really ex ... coz u need to have a big big cake sufficient for all.. but a good idea really..

i went to the florist FLORABELL (Mo asked me to liase with them directly for any change), saw the pix on the decor ... didnt quite like the flowers (mostly champagne roses and pink Gerbera Daisy) so i asked the lady boss Bee Tin if i could change them a lil, end up changing the whole thing haha.. i asked for purple/fushia orchids (but limited variety), Bird of Paradise and (pink) Anthurium for the table centerpiece and stands, Fushia Gerbera Daisy for all table centerpiece....
but the trade-off is i dun have any pix to give me an idea how the overall effect will b like... so its like a gamble.. Bee Tin assured me she will try to make them look beautiful
happy.gif

keeping my fingers crossed for now....

i am trying to get some indoor pix at GWP be4 the dinner starts... hope they turn out well ;) will show if they "flatter" me
happy.gif

if u all interested in knowing more abt flowers,
can visit
http://www.bestflowers.com/flowerguide.cfm
better do some research first, else like me blur blur ;p