Glass in BREADTALK Bread!!! Will kill You!

jjfamily

I purchased some breads from Breadtalk (Citylink outlet) on the 28 July 2009. The breads are intended for my 2 young kids (age 18 months and 3) and my MIL, for breakfast the next morning.

As I had to rush off to work on 29 July 2009, I took the particular bread, which is normally eaten by my kids, for myself. Took a few bites at the bread while in office when I felt something crunchy and a sharp pain on my tongue. I spitted out and found a piece of glass (measuring 3cm long) with sharp edges!

I was so shocked and angered by what I saw. I cannot imagine the consequences if my kids would have taken the bread! They would have cut their mouth/tongue or even swallowed the piece of glass which could be fatal, given the very very sharp edges!!

A complaint was lodged to Breadtalk and NEA. Breadtalk responded immediately. A person in-charge met up with me to take a look at the glass and bread. An investigation was made and we were contacted at the end of the day. He claimed that the glass could be a chipped-off glass from the display. However, I disagreed as the glass was deeply lodged in the bread. We have formally filed a complaint (via email) to Breadtalk on 30 July. A senior vice president contacted us and told us that they will get in touch with us but until today nothing was heard from Breadtalk!

It seems to me that a piece of glass found in a major foodchain is not as serious as food poisoning or until death is involved??? And thus do not really need to investigate...They were only concerned “Anyone injured?”

YES I COULD HAVE DIE EATING THAT PIECE OF 3CM GLASS!

I feel that this matter should be brought to the attention of the public.

So that’s why I’m posting here for you guys to take note and BE CAREFUL when purchasing their expensive BREAD! They DO NO KNOW why this piece of glass is inside till today and no explanation has be given.

These are the photos that I have taken.

The glass is really sharp at both edges!!!

1182092.jpg

1182093.jpg

texasholdem

then you should publicize it already asap. just in case more pple buy from them and get hurt.
wondering did they pass QC ??

snowbell42

no worries gals.. juz help to fw it to our frens n warn them will do!!! juz make it big.. sure will reach the press or the govt one day hehe :p

anyway i have already cut & paste & fw to my coll n frens already

thecockyman

JJ, are you attempting to defame Breadtalk with your posting?

You found a piece of glass in your 1 piece of bread, yes. But are you trying to tell the world that all Breadtalk breads have glass with your post?

Definitely when a car crash happens, the importance is if anyone was hurt. Human lifes are more important than the car which already crashed right? Yes, investigation should be carried out, but although you have not gotten a reply, why do you seem to think that they don't take your case seriously? Reputation plays big to big companies.

You feel that this matter should be brought to the attention of the public. The matter that you are neglected, or the matter that a freak accident happened and you won't let go until someone pleases you?

You want people to be careful when purchasing their expensive bread?? A piece of bread bought anywhere could have such freak accident. You seem to say that Breadtalk does this on a regular basis. Lucky draw huh?

I would suggest you to refrain from defaming others before you are sued.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

texasholdem

are u blaming JJ that it is his bad luck to find one piece of glass in the bread?
this is surely cut throat issue, internal bleeding

powder

JJ,

to be fair, if u're the boss of breadtalk and have the success it's having now, u wouldn't throw in 'lucky glass shards' into your production chain, would u?

i can seriously understand your worries and my kid eats bread very often as well, but if we find glass etc in the bread - we'd Bring that to the attention of breadtalk, and perhaps have them step up the environment where the bread is produced, perhaps to even change all surrounding fixtures to Plastics n No Glass.

and we'd be doing this as civic0minded parents for the good of sporeans and also our home-grown brand. i'm sure breadtalk owner nor 99% of the pple wanna put a glass shard in the bread... it is either an accident or 1 deliberate action.

and seriously, "They DO NO KNOW why this piece of glass is inside till today and no explanation has be given." - how to know? some things are a freak accident. else they are still investigating the branch u bought from for the origin of that glass shard and have not found conclusive evidence yet... in the meantime wat should they do?

this post belongs to stomp...

simpleman

I think at the very least breaktalk would have responded to her in a more positive way:

a) Find possible root cause of the glass in the bread

b) Take possible preventive measure

c) Issue an apology to her at least..

By keeping quiet and not responding is not helping.. their PR department need some help or the person that received the complain should at least make known to "higher management" if it has not been done.

If you stomp it, someone would be fired.. at least for not handling this case properly..

vios

can understand JJ's pent-up frustrations as it may injure her children instead.

and the thing is, Breadtalk's VP further contacted her after their first follow-up. so i can pretty say that they're dealing it with valid concerns....
afterall it's like one in a millon chances, and yet, it can cause some pretty serious consequences.

perhaps, JJ shld contact that VP for an update on their month-long investigations - it is pretty valid in the sense that it concerns fellow consumers as well.

betty81

Cocky Man sounds like a staff of Breadtalk.

I can understand JJ's frustration cos if it was the children who have eaten it, then Breadtalk would have made it to headlines Straits Times. So actually, lucky for Breadtalk, nobody was injured. Breadtalk should be thankful actually and shd treat her complaints very seriously. At least, I think they shd do something about it... like give some vouchers to JJ or something or discipline the staff for negligence

simpleman

Betty,

Give vouchers? I think it is an insult...

I would rather they explain and tell what measures that they put in to prevent possible occurrences in the future...

betty81

of cos must explain and at least say how to prevent it lah. Cannot just walk away like that... it is too irresponsible and coward behaviour... like a hit and run accident. vouchers is just to make her happy so that she will return to breadtalk.

jjfamily

I think they must have notice my post here or somewhere coz they call to meet up on Friday. Guess what? They said we can't do anything to them accordingly to their lawyer!

I am totally disappointed with them ...

Counted myself and my kids lucky that we are not hurt by that big piece of glass!

simpleman

Of course you can't do anything much except to publicize.. maybe as some has suggested - to stomp.

It is their reputation at stake.. more than anything else..

alcifertoh

What kind of resolution were you seeking from them JJ? To step up their QC or compensation? If it's the later would be quite unlikely.

From a neutral ground, this is a unfortunate one off isolated case that could happen to any bakery as well. Neither party hope that this would happened and as consumer, you had done a great deed to feedback to them on the issue for them to practise more stringent control, which will benefit everyone in future.

I do not know how the exact exchange between you and their representative goes like but however if they are apologetic about it and stepping up on their procedure, then I feel that they had done their part. I wonder why they would need to mention that you can't do anything to them according to their lawyer? Did you mention that you wanna sue them?

We can't condemn the effort that they had been around serving millions of bread since they established themselves and which they will be continuing to do so. We are still going to buy from breadtalk after this ain't we? Unless it's something like what happened to prima deli that affected masses, which we also given them a chance to instill the control over their hygiene matter.

Probably they should brush up on tact if they are speaking to a disappointment customer and be more prompt on their following up, than allowing the affected party to digress deeper into it.

I think that it would be fair that as consumers, we should exercise our own caution when we purchase anything. After all we have our choices and not being forced into it. Especially when buying food outside. We have to come to terms with that. Hair, roaches, stapler clips and anything is possible.

jjfamily

Stomp liao ...

Guess I just have to warn you guys to be careful since they won't be doing any investigation how this glass is found in their bread.

jjfamily

At least they should have just said sorry right? They dun. When the VP spoke, he just look left and right except right in your eyes.

This showed how sincere they are!

simpleman

I would stomp it after having informed them.. and if they are not forthcoming with explanations.

I would not be thinking about compensation.. but more about the measures that they would take to minimize such occurrences..

If they just brush it aside.. then I would stomp it. Not to punish them but to let more know so that we are all aware.

I think they are stupid not to respond to you more appropriately..

vios

really, it is not surprising that "u can't do anything to them".

u can try to pursue to sue them, with all that you produce...
maybe, can get compensated with a lifetime of bread?

anyway, i believe everyone is more concerned with social responsibility than anything else, including breadtalk after this incident....

just that the VP was quite f-up with his crisis management skills.

its_fate

sm - Does it differ if to tell them beforehand U wanna stomp it? Personally, I won't use "threat" in such case.. It serve no purpose. What can they do? What can consumers do? People will start buying again after the issue "die down".....

What we are looking at is how the shop step up their QC...

As mention from other forumers, it can be any shop. Breadtalk juz happen to be the "suay one" and TS happen to be the "heng one" this time...........

simpleman

iris,

Yes to me there is a difference. Not a threat. But just that I am expecting a reasonable response.. if I don't get it.. I will let more people know about this. I thought it would force them to be more forthcoming..

I don't think it is just any shop. If it is just your neighboorhood shop - well, probably nothing. But breaktalk is a listed company. It has its reputation to protect. It has to be seen to be doing more ..

I don't know about other people.. if for me... personally I would stop buying breaktalk if that is their attitude.. So stomping it would let more know about their attitude.. but up to each individual to react to this.

its_fate

sm - What I mean is If I wanna STOMP it, I won't tell the shop beforehand coz that's more like threats to me.. To STOMP it is to make other consumers aware and serve as a deterrent. The purpose has to be objective.. I don't STOMP it juz bcoz I don't get what the shop "suppose" to give me such as compensation. My life is "worthless" than those Voucher that is "worthless"..........

One thing I beg to differ is, why do we have to distinguish between neighboorhood shop & listed Company?? If one were to make a mistake, they should be treated equally...

snowbell42

gals since they mentioned we or rather JJ cant do anything to do.. then better b careful of wht we post here or online.. sekali we get sued back for defamation.. juz to b safe than sorrie..

i am also juz s disappointed wif their reply.. agree tht they shd have at least apologised to JJ for wht she has encountered..

simpleman

Iris,

No.. not asking for compensation. But for the actions that they will take.. for eg.. to prevent or minimize future occurrences.. or at least some reassurances.. rather than.. you can't do much to us..

I would tell them, if I don't get a good and reasonable response, I would bring it out for more attention.

Listed company has a reputation to protect. If you stomp it, it will affect its reputation and share. Neighboorhood shop probably lose just some customer in the vicinity - so they probably won't care so much..

There was once singtel offered me vouchers after I complained about their service and such and they screw up. I threw the vouchers back in their face... then there was no stomp.. but I told myself that I would never subscribe to singtel again... and I took all my phone (mobile & land line) to other ISP.

sgbabydoll

Since no one is injured, there is no legal compensation. If you insist, at most they can give you a new piece of bread of the same type and value. But you also won't dare to eat, will you?

But of course they have a great deal to lose in reputation being uncaring. It's bad customer service and a bad PR move.

wjchiang

JJ,

It's not realistic to expect them to give u an explanation, they might not be able to. I don't think they wanted to have that piece of glass in your bread either. However, it's fair for u to expect an update on what they have done since.
If breadtalk's attitude is "we won't do the necessary and step up our QC since u can't do anything according to the lawyer", then i feel that u should take this to CASE www.case.org.sg

snowbell42

it's the way they reply her tht makes us mad & disappointed.. n to boycott their bread lor..

does tis mean tht someone has to b super injured wif the bread then they will do sth abt it???

tis is plain absurb & ridiculous lor.. how can they a well-known brand b so complacent???!!!

wjchiang

It pains me to see the aiya-can't-do-anything-so-troublesome-just-leave-it mentality, some are happy to remain ill-informed. pls, break out from the complacency and learn to be more aware of the options available.
I think JJ has done the right thing by making more people aware of the incident, although the post might be in the wrong place.

simpleman

Of course they won't want the glass in the bread. At the very least, they should have done a thorough investigation and explore possible scenarios of how the "glass" might be in the bread.. and then take some preventive measure..

Should not be too difficult for a listed company. They may not have conclusive findings.. but the willingness to work on the issue must be seen.. and not the attitude that you can't do anything to me..

betty81

the glass wont just drop from the sky and appear in the bread. Such a big piece of glass must have come from some broken window or utensils in the kitchen. If it is from utensils, they could have minimise the risk by not using glassware or have any glassware in the kitchen. I m sure they can get to the bottom if they want to. Afterall, they know which branch you got it from. It is not difficult.

I am interested to see their reaction if stomp publish your article. It may even hit the news

When you are a food seller, you have to understand what is social responsibility. Look at what happened to the geylang serai rojak case.

betty81

Pple could die eating your stuff if you are not responsible.

A glass in a bread is totally unacceptable to me. Some mistakes cannot be made.

miloice

Some mistakes cannot be made? Face it, it is being made. Have to be realistic here.

Mistakes do occur. But, I agree that its completely not unacceptable. First for how it went undetected to the consumers hands. Then, for their really bad CS & PR.

snowbell42

ya of coz it's not acceptable!!! wht if they r the one who are being treated in tis manner n given such a reaction??? would they let it go juz like tht??!!!

seriously i thk JJ shd go to CASE since they din bother to give her a gd reply or even apologise..

miloice

its not about letting go. Rather, their need to be accountable and responsible for the business. They should act responsibly and not in manners that will harm its consumers or ruin their company reputation.

Actions are needed both internally and externally to contain issue. I don't see that done by BreadTalk in this case.

its_fate

Ermmm... actually if all were to look back at TS's initial post, the SHOP did react & respone to her Immediately. Juz that TS is unwilling to accept the "explaination" given.. Also, the SVP failed to call back as promised. More on the follow-up...

Any miss call from private number? Any email given beforehand? Any contact number?

Of coz we can "argue" that: "Hey, what kind of explaination is that, U think U can brush me off juz like that? But look, what more U want them to say? I believe they would have apologise for such a "grave" error. When one is in this bad stage, we won't listen more than what we want to listen.

No One or Company would deliberately put their Reputation on Stake...

simpleman

Iris,

Yes, no or or company would deliberately put their reputation at stake.

Mostly it is wrong assessment that they thought it would blow over and yes mostly they are right - most people don't bother.

But it is not right just to brush things aside and hope that no one follow-up. In this instance, more follow-up by TS - stomp it or go to case is the right move to get the attention of breaktalk.

Sometimes people don't react unless they are force to.

sgbabydoll

No matter what, Breadtalk should address TS' concerns, like any responsible company would. They need to do damage control.

miloice

iris,

yes, the company wouldn't deliberately put their reputation at stake. But not every staff or employee shares this objective not realize the consequences over the way they handled the situation. In the same way, each time we receive bad service, is it the consumers being demanding?

powder

not so certain if what's expected to be done, has been done... and if there's any update. over the years never had any displeasure nor any cause to be even mildly upset with the establishment... i believe More in their way of handling customers concerns than the customers complaining themselves... It's not to say the whole thing is not true, i just believe that somewhere along the way, there is likely to be a unintentional lapse in communication... so just have to give it time.

honestly, i have less faith in sporeans, their complaints and their expectations...

miloice

bro,

not so on what is expected but what is not expected.
1) glass in food.
2) Shady body language from VP. "At least they should have just said sorry right? They dun. When the VP spoke, he just look left and right except right in your eyes."

betty81

I believe they know the cause as it is not difficult to isolate. Perhaps, a glass broke in the kitchen one day but instead of throwing away the dough, someone in the kitchen chose to reuse it to save cost or something.

Yes, milo... one cannot afford to make some mistakes especially when u have a huge responsibility.They r lucky to get away with it in the sense that nothing serious happened. Just look at the geylang rojak and china milk poisoning incident. Mistakes were made and pple paid a heavy price. U can make a mistake but u have to pay the price. That was what I meant. If u have a huge responsibility, u better put in place procedures how to prevent it from happening.

I dont agree with u saying that not every staff shares the objective of a company. Becos such objectives can be educated to everyone in the company from the mgmt. If a staff fails to do it, it the mgmt's fault. There shd be guidelines put in place by the mgmt. In some companies, if the staff fails, they are disciplined. Such measures are harsh but it makes pple realise the importance.

I think as consumers, we can demand a high standard. U cant just make a mistake and run away from it, with such reasons. It is fully in the power of the mgmt to put in place measures and education.