Gemstone engagement ring

Clovers

Hello BTBs and graduated brides! I’m actually interested in gemstone engagement ring (apart from diamond), does anyone has any recommendations or any experiences to share?

binniepooh

Hi. There are a few jewellers you can check out for gemstone engagement ring.
-Gioia Fine Jewellery
-Ling Jewellery (where I gotten mine from)
-Les Precieux

Hope it helps :)

Clovers

Hi. There are a few jewellers you can check out for gemstone engagement ring.
-Gioia Fine Jewellery
-Ling Jewellery (where I gotten mine from)
-Les Precieux

Hope it helps :)
Thanks for you reply! I went to look them up! Can you share what made you choose Ling jewellery? And also roughly the price range?

binniepooh

Gioia is my first stop. They are more affordable but I did not managed to find any sapphire that caught my eyes.
Went to ling jewellery and found a sapphire that I really like hence I went with them. They will work around your budget so let them know.
Our budget was $3.5K but we did exceed the budget by abit cause of my ring design.

Did not make a visit to Les Precieux but that will be our next stop if we did not find something we like in Ling Jewellery.

kristyy

There's also Madly Gems which is quite popular. My fiance (then bf) and I went there together, but their range is quite limited (maybe our budget too low for them) and it's super ex!! Quoted us like $3-4K for tanzanites, and not even including the ring design yet.

With gemstones you also have to be very careful and do your research, because there's so many different types. And it's not like GIA diamonds where everything is very standardised. So you have to know what you want, and not get smoked by the sales pitch and the terms they use (e.g. heated vs unheated sapphires, what colours are the best, etc).

My own ring was from a private jeweller recommended by a friend. They actually helped me source the sapphire, and created the ring design from scratch! And much cheaper than most retail stores here too. Can PM me if you want the contact.

binniepooh

There's also Madly Gems which is quite popular. My fiance (then bf) and I went there together, but their range is quite limited (maybe our budget too low for them) and it's super ex!! Quoted us like $3-4K for tanzanites, and not even including the ring design yet.

With gemstones you also have to be very careful and do your research, because there's so many different types. And it's not like GIA diamonds where everything is very standardised. So you have to know what you want, and not get smoked by the sales pitch and the terms they use (e.g. heated vs unheated sapphires, what colours are the best, etc).

My own ring was from a private jeweller recommended by a friend. They actually helped me source the sapphire, and created the ring design from scratch! And much cheaper than most retail stores here too. Can PM me if you want the contact.
Yeah. I won't suggest Madly Gems as their prices are super expensive. No idea why too! Agree with kristyy. You must know what you want before going. Like what gemstone, cut, unheated or heated and your budget.

I do know what I really want hence it is easier for me when I go for my gemstone shopping.

Clovers

Yes I also came across Madly Gems and they seemed like quite a high end store! Thanks for your advices regarding the need to do sufficient research! I think I’m a bit indecisive when it comes to the gemstone, but for now sapphire seems like my first choice, only hoping that it won’t burst our Budget.

Based on your experiences, is it possible to get a good quality sapphire ring (unheated, need not be v huge) a budget below 3k? Are pink/yellow/mixed colours’ sapphire of much higher costs compared to the blue ones?

I’m pretty worried we’ll be swayed by the sales pitching part too as every store can rave about how good quality their gemstones are, plus the lighting in stores may create ‘illusions’:p

binniepooh

If you are ok with just a simple ring band, it is quite possible to have it below your budget of 3k. I am not sure about the pricing of different colours sapphire. I only do know that both blue and pink colours' sapphires are more popular.

Gioia Fine Jewellery do bring us out to see the sapphire brilliance under sunlight. Don't worry. They are very nice and ethical. Sadly I was not into any of their sapphires that time and I don't want to wait for new stocks to come in as each gemstones are different. I think it's better for you to go down and view it yourself. You might be surprise that what you want might not be what you like. I wanted a pear cut initially but eventually went for a round cut :p

kristyy

Yes I also came across Madly Gems and they seemed like quite a high end store! Thanks for your advices regarding the need to do sufficient research! I think I’m a bit indecisive when it comes to the gemstone, but for now sapphire seems like my first choice, only hoping that it won’t burst our Budget.

Based on your experiences, is it possible to get a good quality sapphire ring (unheated, need not be v huge) a budget below 3k? Are pink/yellow/mixed colours’ sapphire of much higher costs compared to the blue ones?

I’m pretty worried we’ll be swayed by the sales pitching part too as every store can rave about how good quality their gemstones are, plus the lighting in stores may create ‘illusions’:p
From what I know, padparadscha sapphire is the most expensive colour (it's like a mix of pink and orange), followed by royal blue. The other colours should actually be cheaper, I think you should be able to get a 1.5-2ct pink or yellow sapphire under $3K :)

Clovers

If you are ok with just a simple ring band, it is quite possible to have it below your budget of 3k. I am not sure about the pricing of different colours sapphire. I only do know that both blue and pink colours' sapphires are more popular.

Gioia Fine Jewellery do bring us out to see the sapphire brilliance under sunlight. Don't worry. They are very nice and ethical. Sadly I was not into any of their sapphires that time and I don't want to wait for new stocks to come in as each gemstones are different. I think it's better for you to go down and view it yourself. You might be surprise that what you want might not be what you like. I wanted a pear cut initially but eventually went for a round cut :p
Yes I understand the part on after trying we may not like what we thought we like! Okay thanks so much for the advices! Will find a day to go down to the stores to check them out :)

Clovers

From what I know, padparadscha sapphire is the most expensive colour (it's like a mix of pink and orange), followed by royal blue. The other colours should actually be cheaper, I think you should be able to get a 1.5-2ct pink or yellow sapphire under $3K :)
That’s great to know that it’s highly likely we can keep to our budget! Thanks so much for the sharing :)

solitudeavenue

Hello! Do you mind sharing about the private jeweller?

Astrid Sparkler

Hi there! I am a new jewelry brand in Singapore and I can definitely help you out with that! The gemstone that I can source for you is definitely high quality yet friendly pricing! Do let me know if you are looking for anything, and feel free to follow my Instagram @astrid.sparkler

Thank you!

Astrid Sparkler

Hi Clover, definitely can help you with that! For budget below 3K.

MarvelHero

Maybe you can choose a color that you like, or match your skin tone, or even your birthstone. Also think about the ring colors, whether it should be white gold, or rose gold, or yellow gold?

I customized a blue sapphire engagement ring from eClarity, it has 2 side diamonds. The design is unique and vintage, and we specifically asked to have it in rose gold for an even more artistic look.