Furama Riverfront Singapore

J

jaslin soo

Hi all,
This is a message to inform all that we've a very very bad experience with the hotel.

We've booked our wedding banquet at Novotel Apollo 1 year ago for around 25 tables. Nearer to the wedding date in early October this year, the Catering Sales Staff have been changing (3 persons), hence we've been liaising with the 4th Catering Sales Staff. Despite that, we still put our trust in them.

However, things were different on the actual day. The followings were what happened :

We were told that there will be a captain's briefing cum rehearsal @ 5.00 pm on the actual day ('cos we've asked for a date for our rehearsal), but when we (bride, bridegroom, page boy, flower girl, master-of-ceremony)went to the ballroom, we were shocked to see that the ballroom was actually occupied by another company for their Seminar and the ballroom was not set up yet. We spoke to the Operations Manager and the Director of Food & Beverage, they told us to come back to the ballroom @ around 6.00 pm. When we went back to the ballroom, the staff and set up were not ready yet. By 7.00 pm, when most of our guests have arrived ('cos advise given by the hotel was to ask our guests to arrive on time), but the staff were not ready - they were still rehearsing!! By the time they opened the ballroom's doors and started to rush all our guests to be seated, it was already 8.00 pm. Our parents were furious because there was no time for us to re-juggle the seatings and our guests were left standing outside the ballroom for almost an hour!!

Secondly, before the actual event, I actually arranged my mother to go to the hotel to discuss with the Master Chef as we had both Vegetarian & non-Vegetarian tables. The Catering Sales Staff and the Master Chef promised us that the food quality on the actual day will not differ from the food tasting. We trusted them. However, on the actual day, we found that Vegetarian tables were served with garlic chilli sauce!! Worst, non-Vegetarian dish was served to a Vegetarian table!!!

Thirdly, two days before the actual day, we've requested for two tentcards to be displayed at the Reception table, they were not given.

Fourth, the food quality was really really lousy!! For example, we could not find "prawns" in the dish - "Crispy Prawns with Salad Sauce", the "Shark's Fin Soup" was not up to standard, the "Abalone" was also not up to standard, and a lot more.

Fifth, a serving staff supposed to be stationed at the VIP table, but the serving staff was nowhere to be found when he was required. He did not change the plates and serve the VIP guests from the fifth dish onwards, and he still asked my guests : "do I need to serve?" What do you think my guests will react???

Sixth, when we "discussed" with the Operations Manager after the event, he told us he was lacked of manpower. To me, that's their problem! We had confirmed the total number of tables ONE WEEK in advance, the hotel should plan their manpower list in advance.

Although, the hotel had compensated us in terms of discounts, but we told the Director of F & B that parents of both sides were not satisfied, but we were told that it was the final decision from the hotel. We had settled the bills, at the same time, we've sent a letter (carbon copy to Singapore Hotel Association),voicing our dissatisfaction, wanting the hotel's top management to give us a fair statement because according to our findings, we found that the hotel was trying to cover up, which was not fair to us!! However, till now, it's already ONE WEEK, and there's still NO REPLY from the hotel.

Please do think twice and thrice before choosing THIS hotel for any of your functions!!!

Promises were not delivered!!!

jean

Good grief, I have already booked my banquet with this hotel. Jaslin, who is your coordinator ?

Regards
Jean

jaslin

Hi Jean, I missed your message... My co-ordinators were from Jason Fung to Monica Kway to Jacqueline Oh and the last one was Cindy Ng. Good Luck, hopefully the hotel will improve their STANDARDS!

Regards
Jaslin

jean

My coordinator is Cindy Ng. In any case, my wedding banquet is one year later. Hopefully, they'll have improved by then. Thanks for sharing your experience. At least, I can prepare myself for the unexpected.

Regards
Jean

C

chin leng

Hi Cleopatra,

Nope, Novotel Apollo was the former Apollo Hotel. Kings Hotel is now Copthorne Kings Hotel.

Regards,
Chin Leng.

H

hilarion goh

Jaslin, I hope that you have already settled the issue with the hotel.

rascal

Hi friends,
I had just attended a wedding dinner at Novotel Apollo.
If anyone out there is holding their wedding dinner at Apollo, please take note!!
Things that happened:
1. one waiter to 3 tables. Guests are not served properly. No time to refill drinks and do a proper serving.
2. Hack care attitude of the waiters and waitresses. Just glare at you when I see other tables asking for soy sauce and toothpicks.
3. Got the cheek to tell those guest that they don have green chillies because the kitchen is shorthanded and no one to cut the chilles..CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?
4. China waitress doesn't understand what is SPRITE!
5. Called for serving of tea but throughout the whole dinner, no one came.
6. Split drinks onto one of the guest and offer no apologies.
7. No chilies, pepper,vinegar, chopsticks , toothpicks on 2 of the tables.

All these are contributed by the in experience and untrained staff. They can be corrected thru proper briefing and training before the dinner.
i heard becos they uses part timers

If you already booked yours with Apollo, no choice, but just got to remind your manager. Tell your friends to give you feedback immediatedly after the dinner so that if you receive bad ones, you can confront the manager immediatedly.
Another thing..the food was not so good. But acceptable.

Hope it really does help.

M

my

Hi!

Is this Hotel really that bad? Any more feedback i would like to know because though of taking this hotel?

babe

Hi all,
Attended the bridal show last Sat, 23/3 but was rather shock to see so many Malay couples and families there. Just curious, if any of you could help me... are they specialize in Malay food? Should I consider converting the traditional Chinese courses to the Malay courses. I am at a lost now, how shall I decide. If I booked with them now, (within a month) I would be entitled to their lucky draw. Of course, I may not be so lucky, but there are still chance. Also I'm now comparing with the other hotels. Heard that Concorde will be doing their wedding show also very soon and the prizes are very attractive too. Anyone out there can advice me about Concorde as compared to the Novotel?

geraldine

Hi Girls,

i was also enquiring about Apollo Hotel dinner banquet and hearing the negative comments makes me hold back. Is it really that disastrous? It has a change of management and should be better right? Novotel took over from the original Apollo Hotel and standards should have improved since its NOVOTEl...
Any comments? I will have to make a decision since my wedding will be held in May 2003....any comments on the enviroment, deco and food??\
Thanks girls

nac

Hi Geraldine,
what are the other alternatives you are looking at? I am also keen on Novotel but the negative comments are clearly a concern. Are you taking the main ballroom? I would say that the hotel's interior is very grand/posh, unlike its exterior.

decbride

Hi gals,

Novotel was one of my consideration, but after I attended my friends wedding, I didn't take up the package. There are some good and bad points, just to let you know my observation:
1) Shortage of staff. Probably also because some of the staff are very inexperience and the service is rather slow.
2) exterior of hotel looks rundown. there's a KTV beside it.
3) Food is so so only. I didn't like some of the dishes.
4) The ballroom is very nice! I like it. High ceiling, flowers deco also very nice!
5) Function room is not so nice. It's low ceiling and the chandelier, looks too low and seems very cramp at the stage
6) For ballroom, they do not have projector screen. So, if you have any presentation, they will put it up for you before the dinner and after the show, they will remove it, so rather unsightly.
7)The price is very attractive, esp for weekday.
8)The banquet mgr is very helpful. they are willing to do alot of compromises. ;)
9)Ballroom has got a very spacious reception area.

natash

Hi

Nac

have finally made a decision...next week confirming with Furama Hotel for the new ballroom....

Good luck to your findings....

nac

Hi Natash,
good for you. I like the new Furama Ballroom as well as the hotel's location (near new NE line). But I think the retail podium and the hotel's lobby is an eye sore. Lastly, price not cheap.

nac

Hi Natash,
just to add that actually Novotel Apollo and Furama is owned by the same Apollo Group. But the management is different. The Accor group (management for Novotel Apollo) is more well-known througout the world.

natash

Hi Nac

Thanks for advice...I understand that they are owned by the same Apollo group...the price is at $588 per table which im able to get a pretty good deal so I can make do with it..

At least something off my mind kekke....

Thanks

natash

Hi Nac

yeah and that is on weekends for 30 tables and above for the big ballroom..._(Min 30)

If you looking for the smaller balleroom, you are looking at $488 per table....(mIn 20 Tables

I think the interior of the ballroom and the food should be nice....Depends on how you view it...Im just contented how everything in the ballroom is and I don really care about the exterior.. Sometimes, look for the innner beauty kekekeke, not only exterior....

Where u holding your banquet?

NAs

nac

Hi Natash,
how many tables are "taking"? I understand that they allow you to take just half the ballrom on the 5th level if you have 30 and below (just put up the partition).

I have visited many hotels including Novotel Apollo and Furama. Liked Novotel but location is clearly a concern as I am having it on a Sunday (Monday blues!!! for my friends).

In the end, I am just down to 2 (Marina Mandarin and Grand Plaza Parkroyal), purely because of location. I have yet to confirm.

Anyway, when is your wedding? What's your husband's view on Furama?

natash

My wedding on the 18 May 2003 also falls on a Sunday....

He is very happy with the hotel ballroom since you know that it is new, so shouldn't be that bad...Afterall, its a brand new ballroom as you seen the website of the picture of the ballroom.

I think if you take 30 and above then they can split the room for you with a partition...if you have more then they let you have the whole room...

I will be taking about 30 and 2 tables reserved...so if that day, no one booked for the day, they will just let you have the whole room...I think its a chance, if no one holding then we can have the room to ourselves, one a million chance tjough but we are happy with it.

And derrick the banquet manager is pretty nice too...he is honest enough to say the prons and cons of the room...

Cheers
Nas

Me will be taking about 31 tables so I willbe taking the big ballroom...

B

bumppy

I have just attended a weekend wedding 2 weeks back. No offence but to all of you whom have booked with Apollo, I can only say "Good Luck".

You will be better off with a good resturant.

B

brother

Hi all,

My brother just had his wedding @ Novotel Apollo on 26 Dec 2002.

Overall, I must say I am very satisfied with the services provided.

1. Layout
My brother had 36 + 2 tables that day. I must say the layout of the ballroom with the pink table cloths looks grand and lovely esp with the high ceiling. In fact, it looks very spacious. (hehe, guess my own wedding venue looks even more cramp!) However, I must admit the stage setup is so-so only.

2. Co-ordinator: Jenny Ng
Heehee, very paiseh to say, she was more gan-chiong than me; kept calling me to finalise on my table arrangement as she will have to source for more 6 feet tables if we have more than six such 12-seater arrangements. Well, i guess its very pleasing to see that a co-ordinator can be concerned with our wedding. I think it will be very terrible if they bo-chap and wait for us all the while, rite? Moreover, she was very accomodating during our discussion pertaining extra perks like beer, wedding cards, car passes, extra dayroom for helpers, etc.

3. Operation managers: Mr Wee (can only remember this name, but there's another malay manager as well)
They are very patient rehearsalling the whole march-in with me and my brother and his wife. As we arranged for our own songs to be played during the 1st and 2nd march-in, timing is very important and I have to make sure that the technicans know exactly when to play the music, when to soften it and when to take cue from me. I am glad they managed to match up to my expectation.

4. Food
Well, actually being the MC for my brother's event, I dun have much time to sit down and eat. But based on the general feedback, the food is not bad. For me, at least the sharksfin taste better than River View. Wats more, for the basic package, the cold dish combination comes with suckling pig. Not bad for the price we paid. My gf said the ee-fu noodles very nice!

Meow meow, i dun know much abt the market standard for the cold dish. My brother is a weekday event, it does not comes with abalone so cant comment much on that. But i think so far my 360+ folks had yet to comment negatively on the food.

I must say, based on my experience and attending my frds' banquet in many other hotels, Novotel Apollo is definitely worth the amount u paid for!

A

articuno

hi brother, I am actually considering Novotel Apollo too. May I know does it have a shortage of staff, say 3 waitress to 1 table? Thanks.

B

brother

hi articuno,

sorry to reply so late.

actually as i was very busy coordinating my brother's weddingg tat day, i didnt reallie pay attention to the ratio of staff. but generally, i shld be ard 1 waitress to 2 or 2.5 tables. and when i requested for drinks to be filled for some of my elderly guest, the waiter act rather promptly i would say.

anything u wish to know, jus post here again.

A

apollo

hi articuno

i jus had my wedding in Dec 2002 at Novotel Apollo as well. Overall, it was a pleasant experience. Nothing unhappy.

1st co-ordinator was Jeslyn, but she left for maternity leave and Jenny Lee & Jenny Ng took over. No probs at all. They're quite accomodating. We 'negotiated' for extra complimentary beer, extra complimentary parking & extra cards as well.

No probs with the setup both at the reception or in the ballroom. Ops Manager constantly updated us on progress of dishes & timing.

All my guests had gd comments abt the food & service.

At the end of the evening, we were 'dragged' by frens to party some more, so told the Ops Mgr that we'll settle the bill the next morning. No probs oso.

We gave them our own recorded CD to play & a whole list. No probs. But tt time, they said for the 1st dish presentation, they have to use their own music cos they have a fixed routine.

When we chked in, it was stated we'll get 2 nites stay, but we cld only stay 1 nite. So we requested to change the value to F&B. No probs oso (altho not equal value, but still they were flexible abt it)

As what Brother said, it's really good value for money.

A

articuno

hi brother and apollo,
Thanks for the reply. The place sounds good.

antares

hi, I am actually considering to have my wedding banquet at Novotel Apollo. I read the earlier messages, seems like a lot of "not so good" comments. But from Brother and apollo, I think it seems a good place for me too...
happy.gif

btw, Brother and Apollo, do they provide projector for slide presentation? Thks..
happy.gif

A

apollo

hi antares

sorry, but we din do a slide presentation. don't really see the need for it.

do note tt their Jupiter Ballroom has pillars, while the Venus one doesn't.

N

novo,no?

anyone held or attended dinners there recently? would be grateful for some feedback as we're considering having our banquet there. thanks very much!

sunrise

Hi novo,

I attend the wedding fair at march 03 at Novotel Apollo.
They offer me & my husband a good offer with vouchers & free barrel of beer, that's why we took up the bigger ballrm for our wedding.

This are the pros n cons

I have tried the Shark Fin(quality is not good n taste cold) and veggie during the Fair, The food for $588+++ package is really so so. Disppointing on the Food...
Cos $588+++ as per the manager, we cannot change to a better fish like groupa, have to stick with promet.

I was really surprise, cos I always recieve good feedback for their food from my friends.

2. The deco for the ballroom is very nice n no pillars.

3. There no compromised for more invitation cards. The manager actually forgot the food menu which we have already confirm last month and pls book ur food tasting in advance. - Trust me.

4. Bridal room nice but small

5. There's a big KTV outside if u don't mind.

I would advise u better check out Holiday Inn 1st, cos I saw the ballroom is v nice (no KTV outside) The staff handle me was very polite n considerate.

The date we wanted was fully booked, so we took Novotel.

Summary:
If u dun mind the food & service, u can take up novotel.

I really worry about my wedding day,
I hope their food,service & manpower shortage will be improved.

misty

hi sunrise,
I also went to wedding fair. But I din remember seeing the bridal suite..:p U saw the bridal room during the fair?
Just curious, how u know that that there is manpower shortage?
So u have your food tasting already..
happy.gif

apple

hi Sunrise,

I'll be holding my banquet there in sept. And I had my food tasting too. Recently i just met up with the hotel co-ordinator to finalise everything. i checked with her and confirm that there will be 1 waiter serving 2 tables, so i think quite ok lah. As for the food, portion is big but taste so so only. Previously always get gd comment on the food, but i did feedback to the co-ordinate that the food not v nice. Hopefully on the banquet, the food will taste better.

misty

hi Apple,
I might want to take Novotel Apollo too. Maybe u can update us on the service after your wedding?...
happy.gif
Have a wonderful wedding day!

sunrise

Hi apple n misty,

Do u know Furama n Novotel share the management?
I went to wedding at Furama, my friend held her wedding few mth ago, the food so so.
The waitress and waiter service ok only loh...
so the uniform also same hor...

My another friend held his wedding(weekday) last year at novotel. There's a conference by other companies and novotel staff was pretty late on arranging the table seating. His in-laws give him the 'Cucumber' face - not very happy..

If you have attend the wedding fair, I notice several waiter/waitress just stand 1 side 1 ...
how can.. wedding fair

The feedback was good food, but I tried my food tasting ... Haiz.... I don't understand why only 8 dishes n the dessert sxxx...Haiz...

Well, the food so so loh.. ah yai... I believe u all also pay quite a lot for your wedding banquet dinner. You all also hope for something better mah...
And you sure hope the staff do everything smoothly on your wedding day right?

Actually I also cannot complain too much cos I got the free voucher n beer loh...

sunrise

After the wedding fair, I n my husband arrange a date with one of the assistant manager n c the bridal suite.. dun wori it's nice but small lah...

My husband like the pillarless venus ballroom, I ok loh... I thought the food nice mah... but...HAIZ ...

apple

Hi Misty,

I'll keep u update after my wedding banquet.

Hi Sunrise,

u make mi veri scare!! I really hope that everything will turn out well. I chose Novotel because i attended one of my friend's wedding there last year, and the food was nice and like the pillarless ballroom.

ruth

Hi Apple,
So when you are actually having your wedding dinner then, my wedding would be on November then.
me hve yet to meet up with them yet, btw, who is your coordinator then?

misty

hi sunrise,
Dun worry too much lor..
Maybe yours would turn out ok..
happy.gif
From some past comments, also got pretty good feedback.

hi Apple,
Thanks. Hope to hear your comments after your wedding.. Hope yours turn out well too...
happy.gif

sunrise

Hi Apple,

I myself also very scared cos I have taste before their food, standard drop too much.

I have pay the deposit, so cannot do anything loh.

I n my husband will stay alert on our wedding day.

But I get my family to lookout if there's delay in table arrangement and service..

I will update in this forum if there any problem.

apple

Hi Ruth,

My wedding is in Sept and the co-ordinator is Jenny Ng.

Hi Sunrise,
When is your wedding date? Hope you'll update us in the forum if there are any problem.

sunrise

Hi apple

My wedding date is early oct, so pls also update me if anything crops up.

My co ordinator is also Jenny, but I find her service only so so. Now I just pray hard everything will be fine loh, especially e food n service.

Have you collect ur wedding photo? (^=^)

Congrats to u as well

A

apple ng

Hi Sunrise,

I also find her service so so. Alot of things have to be followed up by myself and is quite difficult of getting her as she is always out for sales. We actually wanted a rehersal but she keep insisting there is no such a need. She said as long as we come in early on the actually day @ abt 4pm wld be fine as brifeing wld be given.

Yes i have collected my wedding photos. Now is abt 2 weeks to my wedding. Quite excited and hope everything turns out well especially the banquet.

S

sweetie25

Hi Apple,

My wedding is actually on end of September 2003
What do you mean by you have a lot of things to be follow up by yourself? She had been very prompt in following up for my wedding leh.She did mention to me to have the rehearsal on the very day cos all the set up would be there mah,you mean that you are not comfortable with her is it.

She did actually gave me her handphone number so as to reach her more easily.Heard from her too that she would have to be out for sales call the whole day.I do actually quite sympathize with her as she have to be meet up with guests in the evening,after a long hard day outside the hotel.
I actually find her quite compromising, friendly, helpful and that is why i signed the package with her.
Not to worry, let me noe the feedback after your wedding okie

zel

Halo Apple

Actually, I think the food n service is very important.

U imagine all the guests once taste the food n frown? I will faint cos appollo is well known for good banquet food.

I personally think rehearsal on the day is alright, but i afraid there's conference by other companies. I oso headache...

rihini

Hi Sunrise,

have you ever been to Holiday Inn yourself for a wedding dinner? why do you feel that it's a better venue? Just the ambience, the service, the food, all the above or anything else?

Hi Apple and Sweetie. Are your BIG DAY over? Pls share your wedding dinner experiences. I hope everything is smooth going and beautiful memories!

yvonnesteven

Hi all,

I have already reserved Venus ballroom for my WD in Oct2004. After reading so much comments (good n bad), anyone would care to give me a few piece of good advise as to handle the capacity of 56tables?

Thanks.