Four Seasons Hotel

squeaks

Beary,

I don't think asking to be updated is being fussy! Now if you're calling every day... that's a different story!

We have a show in the states called Bridezilla and its quite funny. ( Don't know if they show it there.) Women can get so demanding for their wedding they forget to have fun and enjoy the day!

I'm going to be hiring a wedding coordinator only because I'm overseas AND I have to cover all the chinese traditions that I'm not familiar with at all.

My FH is Teochew and I have to do the tea ceremony. I don't know where to get half the stuff...Phoenix and Dragon candles, special tea set, lamps for the bedroom and special candies etc. Plus my FH is clueless about anything to do with traditions. He did say something about jumping over hot coals?! I hope he's kidding!!!!

Hi squeakers,
I've heard abt Bridezilla from theknot.com, but the show's not shown here. would love to watch it =P On average, I emailed my coordinator about once every 2 months ever since I signed up in Feb 2005 n I feel guilty already for being so inquisitive! hee...

It must be difficult for you to handle all the unfamiliar tradition.. I have the same problem with my FH's family. I just hope his mom can advise me on all this later on..

U mentioned that FS doesn't have a sound system?? So if i wanna hire a band then i have to source for sound system on my own? That's gonna be expensive =( I thought most hotels should provide that... Which wedding coordinator are u working with?

squeaks

Hi Beary,

I'm not 100% sure about the sound system. When I was sourcing for wedding planners, one of them mentioned this in the interview. I was really shocked! I thought this would be standard in most hotels? I do know they can 'pipe' music into the ballroom so I guess they have a standard system to play cds. I think she meant they don't have amplifiers etc. needed for live entertainment.

We decided to engage Wedding Entourage. They are a bit expensive but they are doing everything for us so I guess that's to be expected. Our parents (his and mine) are sponsoring the wedding so the wedding planner we're paying for out of pocket.

Where are you from? I know you said you were Chinese but not from Singapore?

My FMIL changes her mind so much and she's so busy all the time that she forgets to tell me things or doesn't have the time to explain everything. At first she said I didn't have to do most of these things, then at the tasting dinner she passed me a list of things to buy for the tea ceremony!

Thankfully, there's the good old internet to look things up and find people to answer my questions!

schnauzie

Hi squeakers,
We got the same weddin planner! Im sure Caro will take good care of you and give u the dream weddin you want!

will you be livin in singapore after the wedding?

squeaks

Hi schnauzie!

I guess we have alot in common! I know wedding planners aren't that popular in Singapore yet so I'm glad to find someone with the same one.

Yes, I'll be living in Singapore once we're married. I'm really looking forward to it. I've visited many many times and usually stayed there during summer hols so I'm quite familiar with things.

How are your wedding plans going? When is your AD?

I'm guessing you like dogs from your nickname? I have a Phalene and a Maltese. Love them! I just feel so bad for them, they'll have to be in quaratine once we move there. Yuck!

Hi squeakers,

I'm planning to engage a jazz band, so I guess I have to start sourcing for amplifiers =( hope it wont cost too much...

I've met caroline and cecilia from entourage before too. They're such fun people! Like caro, I'm indonesian chinese. Was very tempted to engage them as our planner, but decided against it as I've already finished most of the planning when I knew about them. I'm sure ur in good hands =)

roidana

Hi all,

for those that would like to consider the red and black set up, suggest you email your coord to ask for a day when a couple is having that set up, the personally visit it. I have personally visited it twice and the feeling this entire set up gives me is really different.Try to imagine 30 tables of red and black... you got to see it to feel it...

When i signed the contract, i also asked my coord the same qn: How's the timetable like... She laughed and assured me that FS will be the one doing the chasing. The will usually start calling us up 3 months before the wedding to arrange stuff. Of course, if we have specific request, i am sure they will be happy to aceede to you request.

Squeakers, Can understand abt your confusion over the traditions and customs. Being a chinese, i am still grappling with all of them... *confused*!

octo

Hihi Tayes and Roidana,

We are considering having our solemnization at four seasons. Care to share your experience with me?

May I know the package details? It will be great if you can share some photos of the venue/ setup.

Thanks in advance!

[email protected]

octo

Hi sgwestie,

Not sure if you still browse this thread. I read that you has been very helpful around the FS thread.

We are considering having our solemnization at FS. If you don't mind, may i take a look at your nice nice solemnization photos?

I tried sending you a private message but got an error message. Not sure if you got it but i also blur, forgot to include my email.

Thanks! [email protected]

schnauzie

Hi Squeakers,

Having my solemnization in June this yr and my wedding in March next yr. when's your wedding? don worry too much about the tradition part..like Roidana, most girls are pretty clueless about the tradtion too! I am teochew too, so maybe can help you with some of the questions u have. some of the threads here also discuss about GDL (guo da li)..you can take a look at them

Anyway where do you come from?

squeaks

Hi schnauzie,

I'm from the US. Grew up on the east coast and now living on the west coast. (until I move to singapore that is)

Where are you having your solemnization? I'm having mine right before the dinner in Windows West. They use the decor from the ballroom so you don't have to spend too much extra on decor..

As for the traditions, my FMIL just gave me a list of things that my father has to buy:

2 battery lamps- red in colour
2 pillows, bedsheets 2 bolsters and linens
2 dragon phoenix candles
teaset with serving plate
12 oranges
Peanut and Sesame caramel candies..

That's it. I wish she would tell me more about it so I can at least tell my parents what to expect! My FH keeps telling me its a really simple thing.. but I keep reading all these things like my FMIL can't face the door when I enter? He's so clueless!
And he was serious about me having to jump over hot coals! Yikes! I better wear a short dress. lol.

ahcapp

Hi Squeakers,

My wedding will be coming very very soon. I have just sent out all my wedding invitations. My "guo da li" will be next week. I still have 2 items which I need to get (a wooden ruler and a pair old fashion looking made-in-china scissors)

If u are in Singapore, u can try this shop which sells all the wedding preparation items you need:

#01-229
Chinatown Complex
Blk 335
Smith Street
S(050335)
Look for Jenny Zhang: 98483013
Mon to Sun (11am to 9pm)

I got my 2 battery lamps (Red in colour), 2-layered chinese basket and other "xi" stickers from there. I have also went to another similar shop at Jurong West, but that shop is slightly more expensive.

Another item on my list is a baby plastic bathing tub. Yupe, don't ask me why. ;) But I guess this bathing tub will be collecting dust in my storeroom for a few years before my first child comes along. hahahahah

As to the hotcoals, I know that my Future Father In Law has also got a mini hotcoal stove for me to cross over when we move in. (Or would be on the day we go back as newly weds?) Not sure about not being able to face the door when I enter the house though.

schnauzie

Hi squeakers,

i heard the bride must buy 2 phoenix candle and the groom buy 2 dragon candles? well, don get too stressed, just bring ur parents to the shop AhCapp mentioned with the list ur FMIL gave and see how they can help u~!

squeaks

Thank schnauzie,

I'm not too worried about things now. With everyone giving suggestions and the wedding coordinator, things should be fine.
After all, no wedding goes without a hitch! You can only pray for small ones.. lol.

watashi

Hi gals... sorry for my late reply. heres 2 pics of the ballroom with red & black settings. i used ivory napkins instead of the black ones cos my mum commented its too dark. the original setting comes with black napkins... u r keen, can actually ask your coordinator to set-up 1 table for your viewing during your food tasting session.. tats wat Eugene did for me
happy.gif

349331.jpg
349332.jpg

squeaks

Thank you watashi!

The set up is really striking! Its nothing like what I pictured in my mind. Quite lucky that your parents and inlaws don't mind a non-traditional setting.

I want to do something more unique for my wedding as well.

evd

Hello all.

I just had my food tasting last night and I must say the food was great and the service was was good. We did change some of the menus at the end but the chef was quite accomodating.

However, my friends and family were surprised on how much FS charge for the wine. Me and hubby are paying for ourselves so we havenot got a clue. In ourpackage, FS said if we take wine from them, they charge $60 per bottle, if bring from outside, they charge $35 corkage charge. Is this excessive amount???? My friends told ms to negotatiate with FS again, headache! My AD is in 2 weeks !

squeaks

Hi evie!

What did you end up with as menu items? Are you sure of the corkage fee, mine is $25 per bottle.. still really expensive though! We're bringing our own wines because of the cost of the FS wines.

I enjoyed my tasting as well. The service was good, though I felt bad for the other people in the restaurant.. we got quite loud in our discussions. I like everything portioned out by the server as well.
Since I'm having Americans as guests, I do not want to think of the mess that would be made if everyone had to 'help themselves' with chopsticks! lol Not everyone has mastered the art of chopsticks.

evd

Hi squeakers,

I guess we have to negotiate for the wines, we did not do that at the beginning. I make sure I call Eugene tonight.

We chose the superior menu, and change the deep fried seafood rolls to coffee ribs. Then change the dessert to aloe vera something, it's like pudding but not as overwhelming as the red bean we originally had.

Don't worry about being noisy. I think we were pretty loud last night. Hubby and I took the opportunity to catch up with close friends since our parents are not in Singapore. So they were really loud!

amoeba8888

Hi Watashi,
Did FS do the red and black theme for you without charge? I saw a red and black theme in a bridal mag. it was gorgeous...

Anyonw having a western dinner at FS?

squeaks

evie,

I don't think anyone likes that deep fried seafood roll! We changed that one as well. My FH actually spat it out! (Got a scolding from his mother for that one but he said it was worth it. Heehee)

We didn't negotiate anything. We both work overseas together so we had very little time to look at venues and select one. Once we found one that was suitable/available and we both liked we signed right away. I'm asking my wedding coordinator to try and negotiate things with them but they are notorious for not giving extras or exchanging..

Watashi,

thanks you very much for sharing the photos. Its really very different from usual set up.

Evie,

Is the wine that expensive? They offered us their in-house wine at $35 per bottle. If one is taking up their wine, they won't have corkage fee. Best wishes to your wedding day
kao_cheers.gif

squeaks

Happy Bride to be,

Did you negotiate for the $35 per bottle? The list I was given, it was $60... Or did you trade for something.

evd

Hi Happy Bride to be,

Ya, I got the same question as Squeakers too. Did you negotiate for the $35 per bottle? If it is $35 per bottle, I wouldnot bother to buy from outside. Thanks for your best wishes!! As the date comes nearer, suddenly I feel there are so many things to do!

Hi Squeakers and evie,

I did not negotiate anything with them. The banquet wine list is given to us by the catering sales manager.

I've looked through the wine list again. Per bottle of wine, they are charging ranging at $34, $38, $42, $46 and $58.

White wines @$34/per bottle:
1) Torres, Vina Sol- Spain
2) Santa Digna Sauvignon Blanc- Chile
3) Tyrell Moore's Creek, Chardonnay- Australia

Red wines @$34/per bottle:
1) Torres, Sangre de Toro- Spain
2) Tyrell Moore's Creek, Cabernet Sauvignon- Australia
3) Santa Digna Cabernet Sauvignon- Chile.

Evie, probably you can give them a call to enquire if you at entitle to these too. Just a call to check if these are available and how much they charging you. No harm trying as $60 is really too expensive.

Hope this will be of some help to you.

Can I just ask you something, when will your wedding dinner be held? Which Ballroom? What colour theme will you be using?

If you are comfortable, can you share the info with me?

Thanks a lot
kao_happy.gif

smurfying

Hi Ladies, I've emailed for quotes. They're having some promo in March.

Luncheons
* Four Seasons Ballroom will be entitled to complimentary 20 bottles of wine
* Crescent Ballroom will be entitled to complimentary 12 bottles of wine

Dinners
* Four Seasons Ballroom will be entitled to complimentary 30 bottles of wine
* Crescent Ballroom will be entitled to complimentary 15 bottles of wine

After doing my sums, one table is min $1k
sad.gif

squeaks

Evie,

Definitely email. Georgette sent me a list of all the wines and $60 is the most expensive one on the list!

I wonder if we can 'negotiate' anything considering the promo they are holding next month.. hmmmm...

Are you nervous? your AD is so close!

Tansy,

FS is very expensive but I think you can get it lower than $1k per table depending on the food. If you really want to hold it there, you can always serve 8 dishes instead of 9 to cut costs.

smurfying

Squeakers, the list i've received fr Theresa, cheapest package on a wkday is $798+++ while wkend is $868+++. I shld b getting wkend package, meaning it'll b abt $1013. This price is not inclusive of wine n beer.
sad.gif

evd

Hi Happy Bride to be,

thanks for the list. Eugene just called me and I asked him about the wine. He said $60 is what they charge to corporate, for wedding is $34 onwards. Such a relief! My wedding is on 8 March, will be using the FS ballroom. We are meeting Eugene tmrw to decide on the colour scheme. So last minute yah...I only know I want red roses, so I guess the colour theme will be mostly red. When is your wedding? If you want, I can send the pictures to you after my wedding.

Hi Squeakers,
I am dead nervous! I also asked Eugene on the wine promo, he said it's for wedding after 25 March 2006 and valid for year 2006 only. Also that's for first come first served basis. 30 bottles of wine is a lot, so if I were you, I certainly will negotiate.

Hi Tansy,

FS also has buffet menu which is cheaper than the ala-carte menu, if you don't mind having buffet. FS keeps increasing the price yah! I was quoted $768+++ for weekday last year and now the price already $798+++

roidana

hey guys,

yeah, i signed at 838 a couple of months ago.. didntknow they were serious abt increasing their prices.

abt the wine promo, that's a really good promo! provided that the couple's willing to tie the knot in the chinese 7th months or any weekdays.. coz i reckon all the weekends are fully booked from oct - dec!

Evie,

Enjoy your last 2 weeks of singlehood. Do you mind sharing the photos of the ballroom with me after you had settled everything after your wedding. Thanks a lot.

We have already signed up with FS, are we still entitled to the complimentary wine promotion or is it for new couples who signed up with them?
Anyone knows?

smurfying

Gosh!! How come they increase the prices for the same yr. Tot as long as it's the same yr shld b same price wat...tsk tsk tsk! I'm chking quotes fr The Regent, oso 4 seasons group. How's the place? The food comparable?? Tat one is much more affordable. Abt $830 nett per table.

squeaks

hihi

I emailed my planner to see if she can negotiate things with the hotel, like the wine package. I'm kinda annoyed that they aren't willing to negotiate things with me. I mean, I'm renting the ballroom AND Windows West for the evening.. plus the hotel rooms etc. You would think they would throw something in without being asked!

Evie,

Best Wishes for your big day! I'm sure its going to be gorgeous! Just remember to have fun and don't worry if not everything goes 100% perfect. Things never do. Its your and your FH day to celebrate so enjoy it!

Hi Evie,
Enjoy ur big day! U must be very excited now
happy.gif
Do share with us ur photos...

Hi Happy Bride to Be,
I've checked with FS. The promo is not applicable for existing couples. It's only for new sign-ups. I was quite disappointed..They said it's to entice couples into booking lunches and weekday dinners..

Hi squeakers,
FS is very well-known for their "no freebies" policy..I can't even negotiate a lower room rate for my overseas guests. The rates they give me is the normal rate posted on their website
sad.gif

squeaks

Beary,

They aren't offering a lower room rate? That is part of the package isn't it? Or is it because you don't have enough guests from overseas?

They offered me a discount room rate automatically, but I think its because I'm 'ang moh' and they anticipated a lot of out of town guests.. little do they know I have a very small family! Muahahahaha!

Hi squeakers,

The room rate they gave me is the same rate as the Weekend Getaway rate published in their website. So it makes no difference whether or not I'm holding my banquet there
sad.gif

Hi squeakers,

The room rate they gave me is the same rate as the Weekend Getaway rate published in their website. So it makes no difference whether or not I'm holding my banquet there
sad.gif

squeaks

That's awful! You would think they would do better than that.

My family isn't staying at FS either despite the 'discount' rate they gave me. I have to stay in hotel the night before and there are soo many nice hotels to choose from that are cheaper.. my whole family and friends can stay there and make it easier to meet to 'guard the door' early in the morning. Just need to walk down the hall! lol.

Try not to stress too much.

redpinkroses

My personal opinion...
Hotels and resorts in the Four Seasons chain are just in a class of their own. Yes, it's a pricey hotel. But considering the excellent service that the Four Seasons' staff render, it's worth the price tag.

As for "freebies" and willingness to negotiatie, I think it's important to understand, the Four Seasons is a high-end boutique hotel. They have never pretended to be mainstream. So they don't need to give freebies to boost sales or get into negotiations in order to close a deal. The wedding packages are very straight-forward. There aren't hidden costs, which I appreciate. The staff are polite, attentive and willing to personalise some details of the wedding, but don't expect major changes or price reductions. Let's keep it real here... this is a hotel that hosts movie stars, dignatories, corporate high fliers etc. from around the world when they come to Singapore. A wedding couple are usually just one time clients. If they don't seem to jump to roll out the red carpet for wedding couples as much as say Hyatt Hotel down the road, it's not that difficult to understand why. And despite their regular A-list clients, in my experience the Four Seasons staff are always professional and make me and my fiance feel special, even though we are one-time clients.

One should know that when you sign up for the FS, you're signing for a more expensive hotel, with good sercive, who's less inclined to negotiate on the standard wedding package, and who has more standing vis-a-vis the customer (i.e. less threatened by you throwing a tantrum, say). So if the shoe fits, wear it, if it doesn't, then maybe this hotel isn't for you. And I really mean this kindly.

There was a bride in the past (read about it somewhere way back in the archives) who wrote about how she went to negotiate with the Four Season before she signed. She had planned to demand this and that and one could tell from her choice of words that she went into the meeting with a "I am the customer" posture and talked down to the staff, trying to dangle the threat of not signing if she didn't get what she wanted. Well, she didn't get what she wanted. Small piece of advice to anyone approaching the Four Seasons... please talk to your wedding coordinator as an equal. Ask nicely, and don't be pushy. I had some special requests as well. And the Four Seasons accomodated on 80% of them. Quite a lot is left to the discretion and goodwill of your wedding coordinator.

Good luck!

Hi Roses,

Wow....chill gal!
happy.gif
None of us are demanding freebies or being pushy or treating the coordinator as something other than an equal. we're just exchanging info and trying to help each other, especially since some of us are not locals and aren't familiar with the wedding scene in sg.. I think all of us here are aware that FS is a high-end expensive hotel. The fact is we signed up anyway, even without the freebies, coz each of us likes something about the place and expects no less than the best from the hotel and its staffs. After all, like u said, FS is in a class of their own
happy.gif

All in all, it's good to know that FS has such a strong supporter and defender as urself
happy.gif

evd

Hi Happy Bride to Be, Beary and Squakers,

THANKS for all your wishes! I am counting down the days now. Nervous but at the same time excited !!! Met FS this evening to discuss the flowers, we are going with red roses with gold settings for tables and chairs. Will send you guys pictures after the wedding. We did not upgrade the flowers arrangements though, we just take the flowers in the package. The upgraded flowers arrangements are actually very nice.

Squeakers,

I am going to stay in the hotel too before the wedding. But to cut the inconveniences, I decided to stay in FS so it's a lot easier. Anyway, probably this is the only time I have excuse to stay at Four Seasons knowing how expensive their rooms are...hehehheee....

Roses,

Chill gal !! We are not complaining about FS here , just share our experiences. Lucky that I found this thread, I did not realise that the list of wines that FS sent me was the wrong one, lucky Happy-to-be corrected us on this. I am perfectly happy with FS services, i think they really provide a good service. I am very happy with Eugene - at least he is fair and not trying to sell so many things to us.

evd

THANKS for all your wishes! I am counting down the days now. Nervous but at the same time excited !!! Met FS this evening to discuss the flowers, we are going with red roses with gold settings for tables and chairs. Will send you guys pictures after the wedding. We did not upgrade the flowers arrangements though, we just take the flowers in the package. The upgraded flowers arrangements are actually very nice.

Squeakers,

I am going to stay in the hotel too before the wedding. But to cut the inconveniences, I decided to stay in FS so it's a lot easier. Anyway, probably this is the only time I have excuse to stay at Four Seasons knowing how expensive their rooms are...hehehheee....

Roses,

Chill gal !! We are not complaining about FS here , just share our experiences. Lucky that I found this thread, I did not realise that the list of wines that FS sent me was the wrong one, lucky Happy-to-be corrected us on this. I am perfectly happy with FS services, i think they really provide a good service. I am very happy with Eugene - at least he is fair and not trying to sell so many things to us.

evd

Squeakers,

Roses,

squeaks

Hi Roses!

I'm not sure which person wrote they went in ready to demand things... obviously they wouldn't get very far! All of us have signed with the hotel so obviously we're happy with them But as evie pointed out, they aren't perfect. Many people didn't know you can change dishes on the menu or there was a more extensive wine list etc. No one here advocates 'abusing' our wedding coordinators. Georgette has come thru for me every single time I have asked for a quote or need pics etc. Obviously if I was rude to her, she wouldn't be as helpful.

I think if you read thru all the postings, many of the 'complaints' is just brides being stressed in the middle of planning. I, for one, feel like I'm bleeding money right now. Of course I'm going to 'vent' my frustrations at the hotel and pretty much everyone else costing me money!

But at the end of the day, I love the venue. I love the service. And I know I'm going to be happy holding both my solemnization and banquet there.

squeaks

Hi Roses!

I'm not sure which person wrote they went in ready to demand things... obviously they wouldn't get very far! All of us have signed with the hotel so obviously we're happy with them But as evie pointed out, they aren't perfect. Many people didn't know you can change dishes on the menu or there was a more extensive wine list etc. No one here advocates 'abusing' our wedding coordinators. Georgette has come thru for me every single time I have asked for a quote or need pics etc. Obviously if I was rude to her, she wouldn't be as helpful.

I think if you read thru all the postings, many of the 'complaints' is just brides being stressed in the middle of planning. I, for one, feel like I'm bleeding money right now. Of course I'm going to 'vent' my frustrations at the hotel and pretty much everyone else costing me money!

But at the end of the day, I love the venue. I love the service. And I know I'm going to be happy holding both my solemnization and banquet there.

squeaks

Hi Roses!

redpinkroses

Ladies, I think it's gracious of you all that you've taken my comments constructively. Which is the spirit in which I wrote them. Best of luck for wedding preparations
happy.gif

redpinkroses

Ladies, I think it's gracious of you all that you've taken my comments constructively. Which is the spirit in which I wrote them. Best of luck for wedding preparations
happy.gif

redpinkroses

happy.gif