Evening Primrose Oil

jasminetea

Hi Everyone,

Wonder if anyone took the evening primrose oil pill daily? It supposes to help to maintain our skin.

Please share with me the advantages and disadvantages of this pill.

Thank you.

L

lig

I bought one from Blackmores brand, I find the pill too big to swallow. Who can recommend me which brand is smaller?

juzmarried

Hi,

I heard that evening primrose oil is good for skin n easing menstrual cramps, but could result in weight gain! Tat's y I didn't dare to try :p

jojo

Hi all...

I am a faithful user of the Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) I have been taking it since 3 years back. My menstrual cramps have reduced significantly and it has sort of stopped the ageing process too. I have not put on any weight after taking it. I normally take the EPO, Ginko, Vitamin E every morning after breakfast. I swear by this formula. Not only does it help in relieving menstrual cramps, it also keep you energised for the days hard work.

I am taking the Kordel Brand. The capsules are quite large too...but it is softgel...so easier to consume.
happy.gif

Oh ya...no side effects since I have taken it 3 years ago. My colleagues strongly recommended it to me. I take the 1000mg one. If you are afraid of starting on a high dose, you can always start with the 500mg one.
happy.gif

I hope I have managed to help in some way or another.

JoJo

dew

Hi,
I've started using Evening Primrose oil cos I found that as I age (I'm 26... only.
happy.gif
) my PMS becomes worse and I'm more prone to water retention. I bought the 500mg Kordel's Brand. I took it at night the very first time and to my pleasant surprise, I woke up the next morning practically glowing! I mean my face! I never knew this oil could do that to one's skin! Even my husband noticed that my skin is glowing radiantly! So now I swear by it!
happy.gif
But er... juzmarried, where did u hear that it could result in weight gain? My customary wedding is next June and I dun want to risk anything.
happy.gif

jasminetea

Hi All,

Glad to hear so much benefits of the Evening Primrose oil as I've just started taking it a few days ago but worried of the long term side effect.

I tried the one from Nature's Farm. I hope it'll help me to maintain good skin until my wedding next yr.

By the way, Jojo and Dew. How many capulses do you need to take per day? The sale staff at Nature's Farm told me to take 4 capulses per day.

trihok

err...sorry
lame.gif
what is evening primrose oil pill?? it is something that u eat and good for our skin?? how much does it cost??

jojo

Hi Hi...

Jasmine...I take 2 capsules a day. Every morning before my breakfast. I find that the dosage is just right for me.
happy.gif
Like Dew said, it does really make your skin glow.
happy.gif

Trihok...don't apologise...Evening Primrose Oil is a capsule from the Primrose to prevent water retention and pain from your menstrual cycle. Besides, it can also prevent ageing to your skin. I buy the Kordel brand and 3 bottles go for $41.60. I take mine without the Vit E compressed in it...as such, it is cheaper.
happy.gif
I hope I have been able to answer your queries.
happy.gif

oolong

Hi,

I have pimples outbreak frequently, as such left with alot of scar (red spots), and is really acne prone. Is it still advisable to try evening primrose, will it help, or is there any other alternatives?

Thank you in advance!

jojo

Hi oolong,

I think you can give Evening Primrose Oil a try. An alternative would be Vitamin E from Kordel...the Vitamin E helps in skin repair...as such, it would aid in the healing of the skin.
happy.gif

Evening primrose oil also contains flower oils which helps to maintain the youth in your skin. It is well worth the try. So far, I have not experienced any side effects.
happy.gif

JoJo

jasminetea

Hi Jojo,

I do feel 4 capulses a bit too heavy for me. I'll take 2 capulses. So far, I've not experienced any side effect
happy.gif

Hey, Kordel's brand is quite cheap. $41.60 for 3 bottles? How many capulses are there in one bottle. 'cos the one I bought for Nature's Farm is $26.90 for 1 bottle. I think with 90 capulses.

And where can I find Kordel's brand??? Thank you in advance
happy.gif

Cheers

jojo

Hi...

Trihok...thanks for the compliment...
happy.gif
As my nick suggests...I luv pigs...
happy.gif

Trihok and Jasminetea...I get my supply of Kordel Primrose Oil from Mustafa Centre. They sell it at a rather reasonable price. I saw it at the Tan Tock Seng Hospital Pharmacy too...
happy.gif
I think the Kordel brand is quite widely available...can get it at the NTUC's pharmacy as well.
happy.gif
Kordel provides discounts once in a while and their deals are really a bargain. Can really save alot if you buy their products during their sales period.
happy.gif
They are now having an offer for the National Day celebration. 36% off 3 bottles...thus explaining the cost of $41.60 for 3 bottles. Do let me know if you have difficulty getting the capsules...will try to locate them for the both of you.
happy.gif
happy.gif

JoJo

oolong

Hi Jojo,

Thanks for your reply but I just went to the GNC today, I was actually told that its not advisable for me to take EPO. Basically, its for people who have rather good but dull complexion, it acts like a moisturizer - dull face start to glow, oily face start to become more oily thus acne. It also sort of "increase your hormones" as such, you won't feel any pain on your 'aunt visit' days.

Anyway, I was recommended something else for my problems. Its called Herpanacine. It is suppose to help cure from inside out. It is good for any skin problems such as herpes, blisters etc...

I hope this help those who has the same problems as I do.

dew

Hi jasmine, I take only one capsule (500mg) every night. I take it at night cos I take coffee in the morning and I reckoned that the caffeine would just destroy all the EPO benefits.
happy.gif
And I wake up to a glow.
happy.gif

jasminetea

Hi Jojo,

Thank for the info. I found out tt Waston also carrys this brand.
happy.gif
But it's not as cheap as Mustafa Centre. I think they sell it as $46.90 for 3 bottles.

Dew,

Thanks for sharing with me
happy.gif
When the sale staff told me to take 4 capulses, I was a bit taken back 'cos I find it may be a bit too much. Now I'd feel better to take 1 - 2 capulses per day.
happy.gif

Cheers

jojo

happy.gif
You are welcome.
happy.gif
Oolong...thanks for the added information. I am sure some brides to be would be glad to have such useful info.
happy.gif

JoJo

R

reebok

Hi all

I am very tempted to try on the pills but am concern on the weight gain cost...

Understand tat it'll put on weight!! Is tat true??

I'm trying to keep trim as well as keeping my face glow & free of Pimples. Still dunno if I shld try.

Any advise?? Thks!!

E

eunicetan

halo all,

according to my book of "The world's best-kept beauty secrets" by Diane Irons, evening primrose oil "benefits the skin and hair, and is said to aid in hair restoration."
happy.gif

u can get evening primrose oil from chinese medicinal hall too. my MIL sells it (from China) for $15 per box (50 caps x 1000mg). on the box, it said tat it's good for blood circulation n for slimming effects.

the following info is taken off a website on evening primrose oil faq:

Evening Primrose oil is promoted for a wide variety of ailments including reduction of premenstrual and menopause syndrome symptoms, weight loss without dieting, hypertension, improved lipids, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and even hangover hangovers.

GLA can be converted to a hormone-like compound called prostoglandin E-1. Prostoglandin E-1 helps to increase blood flow, decrease blood clotting, and reduce inflammation. The claim is that GLA works by increasing the body's production of prostoglandin E-1 or by correcting a deficiency of GLA.

However, these claims have not been proven and the long-term safety of consuming large quantities of these oils has not been established.

If you try Evening Primrose Oil, don't take a large amount or take it for a long time. GLA from seeds or extract is not recommended for individuals with schizophrenia, as it may increase the risk of temporal lobe epilepsy.

hope it's useful
happy.gif

dew

No prob. Jasmine.
happy.gif

Reebok, I understand your concerns... sigh.. I'm already not very slim as it is.. so I'm a bit concerned abt the possible weight gain issue. Mmmm.. so where did you gals hear abt the possible weight gain from?

rainzz

Hi

Can EPO be taken by guys? As my bf's skin condition is not very good was thinking of whether he can try n take EPO. Any comments?

Rainzz

E

eunicetan

yep! my hubby took it (on his mum's request) to improve his blood circulation cos he's overweight. however, i dun seem to see any improvement in his complexion. but then again, my hubby seldom has pimples or breakouts (disgustin rite?
lame.gif
)

mimi

Hi Eunicetan,

You mentioned that one should not take EPO on a long term basis. How long do you mean? I has been taking EPO for about 1 year. So far I did not gain any weight but got pimple outbreak from time to time. Should I stop?

yee

Heh Gals,
Maybe you should stop taking EPO. I thought it has great beauty miracle function too and bought a bottle from Guardian. After taking a few pills, my faces starts having small pimples all over and I was so scared that I went to see a dermatologist (as my ROM is a week away). The doc actualy told me that EPO can cause breakout. So luckily it manage to be cured just before my ROM. Phew, shall throw the EPO away.

sweetiee

That's weird, I tot EPO is supposed to aid in skin radiance. Well, Mimi, another alternative is essential fatty acids, think it works like EPO too.
happy.gif

bear

I do get pimples breakout initially when I started taking EPO. But after a week or so, it is ok. But then, I started having ulcer... I wonder if EPO is 'heaty'???

mimi

Hi Gals,

Thanks for the replies. I will stop taking EPO and see whether my skin will improve. I am really afraid of another pimple outbreak cos I will be taking my photo shoots in Nov.

On the other hand, I am not sure whether EPO helps in anti-aging cos my friends commented I look better & younger when there is no pimples. In addition, I do not get any cramps during my period. When I check with doctor, he did not mention taking EPO will cause pimple outbreak or other side effects.

worried

hi, need some info.

i just started taking the ultra EPO from GNC recently (1300mg). After taking, i realise i started having brown discharge with blood strains. Is this normal? It should not be my period cos i still have 1 more week to my period. Can anyone let me know? Thanks!!

K

kuti

Hi worried,
I just started taking EPO 1000mg from blackmores. There's no side effect on me lor. Maybe is still too early to tell but many of my SQ friends took and they say is really good. Esp we always have irregular period problem.

lourdes

I just bought the EPO from GNC but my doctor advised I can't eat so I have to sell it away... Anybody interested? It's the big bottle with 180 capsules, still left with 150 capsules selling at $50.

greenie

hi ladies, i hv juz started to take EPO. tdy is juz my 2nd day. and the dosage tt my mum bought is 1000mg. i consume it after my breakfast. i am still unsure shld i consume b4 food or after food... and it says i can consume up to 4 pills 4 PMT... isnt it a bit too much?
uhoh.gif

i got pimple marks and it takes few mths to heal the marks... thus the pills will help in my recovery process.

mine is in softgels as well.

why izzit tt some gals cant consume the pills? appreciate any advice!
happy.gif

jnj

i have taken a bottle for a month n have since stopped cos it causes outbreak on me.....big n small pimples....
sad.gif
.......n the pimples stopped "breaking out" after i stopped taking EPO......

greenie

janice, now tt u hv mentioned, i do noticed some breakouts. but i do not think its bad, i feel its like purging out impurities? since it helps to keep maintain our skin condition, perhaps it needs to get rid of the toxins 1st?
uhoh.gif

jnj

Starz ... is it true?...that means i have many toxin in my body cos outbreak for the whole month leh....kekekekeke......think prob it depends on individual...some get outbreaks some dun

greenie

hi janice, i am not very sure of the real reason, 4 my guess is tt of detoxification, perhaps.

u outbreak the whole mth ah?
uhoh.gif
erm, like tt a bit too much liao... or perhaps u consume too many pills and ur body cannot take it? i am taking like 1 or 2 pills max per day only.
happy.gif

forrestgump4

hi there,
maybe i'll to share some of my experiences with EPO.
for what i know is, if you start eating EPO you would NEED to continue eating no matter what.

Dun worry when i say this cos EPO helps to make skin radiant and regulate PMS but only when you have continue eating it.
actually after you eat, no point stop taking it as this need long and regular dosage to see the best effects. i've been taking EPO for about 6months. I have pimples but that's because i use the wrong pdts and sometimes i'm too lazy to remove makeup and that's why.

so the EPO is not those "miracle pill" which will clear your skin problem overnight. but this requires consistent dosage to see best effects.

after i see my face like that, i've been continuosly eating it and i'm more cautious when trying new pdts. and i find that it reduce my bloatedness and reduce water retention during my menses.

about gaining weight...i'm not that sure. but given around the same period ie. for the 6 mths ever since i started taking EPO, i've been losing weight leh. I lost about 5kg BUT not overnight. it's gradual one.

i'm eating Kordel's 1000mg. and i'm taking one pill after my meal in the Afternoon and one after my dinner. Kordel has one that is with Vitamin E but what my mom said is that Vitamin E and EPO consume together can be rather heaty. cos i belong to those rather easy heaty person, so i chose the 1000mg only.

i bought from watson's. watch out for their sales item cos i got mine 3 in a pack at $27 only! 90 capsules in a bottle. so 3 bottles can last like 4.5mths, with each mth cost around $6!

For me, i usually eat Vit C with EPO cos i think Vit C can reduce our blood and skin oxidisation and make our skin radiant also! rem how those skincare labels said they incl Vit C for whitening and radiance effect? Can give a try lor.
happy.gif
hehe hope above helps.

greenie

hi mandy, thks 4 sharing...
happy.gif

seems like kordel's a fav brand here. think i will try it once i have finished wif my current one. yah, i agree tt EPO is not a miracle pill. i intend to give it a few mths to see the effect.
happy.gif

weddingmoods

Hi ladies

how do u define menses cramp?

During my mense, I will feel bloated or gastric pain (with wind) somtimes. Are these menses cramp?

My gastric pain usually start from 2nd day and it can be so painfu until I cannot stand straight. And if I eat too much, my gastric will be painful. Normally I don have gastric problem. It happen only during my menses. Can EPO helps?

I have not seen doc on such symptoms. So I am not sure is it gastric with wind or it that cramp.

forrestgump4

hi weddingmoods, think u better see doc cos' for what i know about menstrual cramp is that, it's normally pain at abdomen near to your hips there.

nutrilite

Hi weddingmoods,

Yes its absolutely true! Btw, how long does thing happen? B4 ur menses come, maybe 2 wks b4, do you have any stomach cramps?
EPO helps to provide relief of pre-menstrual symptoms and support well-being during the monthly cycle. Currently, i've been taking NUTRILITE vitamins for a year & the vitamin which i really love the most is the EPO PLUS. I also had tat kind of cramps b4, but since i took the EPO PLUS, i don feel anything. Say Goodbye 2 Monthly Blues.
NUTRILITE EPO PLUS is a unique blend of ingredients tat combines science & tradition in a gentle blend of nature richest sources of GLA(gamma-linolenic acid), 2 help put u back into balance. The exclusive NUTRILITE formula contains Evening Primrose Oil & Borage Oil to provide a unique blend of essential fatty acids known as GLA. It also contains chasteberry, Ginger & Dong Quai with Citrus Bioflavonoid Extract.

nutrilite

Hi 5ane,
FYI, guys cannot take EPO, its only for ladies.
EPO is natural, & a rich source of GLA(gamma-linolenic acid). It contains abt 72% Linolenic acid and 9% GLA. Potential Users - Anyone who is a woman & wishes to obtain the benefits of EPO
-Anyone who wants to increase her antioxidant protection.

pinkbear

Hi,

interested in EPO oso..cos during menses i oso have menses cramps and pain..sometimes like not well...will this helps..?cos I worried got side effects leh..?

will help to cause break of pimples..?

thanks for all answers
happy.gif

jwlng

Hi Pinkybear,

I can help to get you Nutrilite EPO Plus. My wife is taking it together with the Iron Folic Supplements cos we are trying for a baby. There are no side effects as all the ingredients are natural and grown on Nutrilite's Certified Organic Farms in the USA. Best thing about the supplements is that if you are not happy with the product, you can return it within 3 months for a full money back guarantee. Let me know if you're interested. SMS me at 91091168 or my wife at 91081168. Hope to hear from you. =)

ii_yume

Hi all..

it is safe for male consumer.. below is what i found this mornin..

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,779,00.html

Counter impotence and female infertility. By promoting blood flow, the GLA in evening primrose oil can help treat a primary cause of male impotence--compromised circulation leading to impaired penile blood flow. The oil is often taken with vitamin C and ginkgo biloba for this purpose. In addition, when the oil is taken long term, GLA can help prevent blood vessel narrowing, often a consequence of plaque buildup from high cholesterol. By improving uterine function, GLA may also help those who are unable to conceive.