Europe Honeymoon in Mar 06

suiching

Hi,

I'm planning to go for a 15-day Europe (Italy, France, Switzerland) honeymoon in Mar 2006

Am thinking of either flying on the 7th - 21st Mar or 21st Mar - 4th Apr

Any opinion which is a better time? in terms of weather/ things to see?

If there is not much difference, I would prefer to go earlier on the 7th Mar.

Thanks for any comments

pauline12sg

Hi mousy_pig,

I'm planning to go Europe (Italy and Switzerland) for honeymoon in Mar 2006 too! Really nice to see u started a thread on this.
happy.gif

Are u on a package tour or free & easy? I've yet to find out more info on the cities... Most likely I'll take up the package tour as I'm afraid I'll missed out some places if on my own.

suiching

Hi Pauline,

I'm planning to take a package from Chan brothers. Too lazy and too busy to plan lah ;P

So when are you going? Do you know when is a good time to go?
happy.gif

pauline12sg

I'm looking at Chan brothers too... but can't find any package on Italy and Switzerland. CTC has 1, planning to go on either 15/3 or 18/3, is a 12 days tour. How much is ur package? Maybe it is worthwhile to add in France in our trip.
happy.gif

If I'm not wrong, should be summer over at Italy in Mar.

butterkiss

Hi hi...
I was with CTC when I went for my honeymoon last month. The tour guide is fanstastic! Really no regrets joining CTC. I guess, if you gals are to go with CTC next year, it should be the same tour leader.

Oh... I also went to Italy and Switzerland! Beautiful places... but I like Switzerland more... hee hee... more scenic... whereas in Italy, a lot of architecture stuff (buildings).

When I went last month, it was Autumn season. Hmm... so, I think March should be their Spring... cooling also...
happy.gif

makino

Yeah, I think Mar is still spring. I went in late May before and it was still pretty cool/cold.

butter, which was package you joined? Was it rush and how was the group like? Hotel/food?

makino

I went for the 13D one before and find it very rushed and tiring. But it was an amazing 'feat' - 8 countries in 2 weeks. It all depends on how much of Europe you want to see in 15 days, I guess?

pauline12sg

Hi butter, glad to know from u that it will be Spring in Mar and the tour guide is fantastic! Has given me more confidence on CTC. Thanks
happy.gif

Hi mousy_pig, I'm a "kia si" person, don't think I have the courage to go France on my own... maybe will stick to the package provided by them. Hmm... What u think is the best time to book the tour package?

jozy

hey girls,

i'm glad to find this thread as we are also intending to go for honeymoon sometime in March and to Europe...

suiching

I dunno leh, still waiting leh...cos can't decide betweeen the 15 days Chan brothers Europe Romance and the CTC (Italy and Switzerland)

Find 12 days a bit short leh....any other good tour agency to recommend?

btw butter who is the tour guide from CTC whom u say is very good?

butterkiss

hi tsukushi,
Actually I had booked another tour package with CTC initially. But closer to date, they are unable to start the tour as there were insufficient number of pax. We were given the option of either Italy and Switzerland or Spain and Portugal. We chose the 1st one. It was a 13 days tour.

For food wise, we had quite a number of meals covered in Italy and mostly were Chinese food! Over in Switzerland, we were on our own for about 50% of the meals. But of course, breakfasts were covered every morning!

Over at Italy, it was quite rush coz we had to change hotel almost everyday! Only stayed in one particular place for 2 nights, the rest were just over night stay. Over at Switzerland, things were better. It was a 2 nights and 3 nights stay over at 2 places. We were on the coach every morning after breakfast. But we don't really mind coz we also got to "sigh-see" even on the coach.

We were pretty lucky that our group consisted of many couples and some of whom are honey-mooners. We also joined the optional tour and went to Germany for a one day trip.

It was a nice nice trip... hope I can go back there again... especially Switzerland... so lovely...
happy.gif

butterkiss

hi mousy_pig,

Eh... I think not nice to mention the name here... people might thought that I am "advertising" for him. Ha ha...

But you can drop me a mail if you want to know. And when you go to CTC to do your booking, you can look for him... nice chap...
happy.gif

my email is [email protected]

happy.gif

suiching

hi butter,

i saw fro the website there is only a 12 day tour. Does your 13 day include germany? So how did you plan to go germany? was it done by CTC?

butterkiss

hi mousy_pig,
the extra one day was due to the fact that the airline which we flew in will only be departing on the 13th day of our trip.
Germany was an optional tour that was conducted. Of course, we had to pay for all these optional tours. Do go to Jungfrau (top of Europe)... though quite ex... but really worth the money...
happy.gif

makino

hi butter, it sounds pretty much like the CB tour that I joined. Mostly chinese food as well and we changed hotels almost every night. It's true that even on the coach we can continue to sight-see, but I ended up catching up on sleep most of the time
happy.gif

I didn't know SA flies by SQ, or you need to top up for it? How about CTC?

pauline12sg

Hi mousy_pig,

Italy and Switzerland are the 2 places that I must go... Other than that, the rest are optional. Although 12 days are very short, sad to say that due to my work, I am not able to take long leave leh.

U can check out Dynasty Travel and SA Tour, maybe u can find the tour package that suits u best from there.

bellebelle

pauline,
I would recommend that you go F&E. If you're afraid that you may miss out on some places, you can get itineries from travel agencies and plan your route from there. If you take package, you may 'go' many places but they maybe drive through. I was in Switzerland and Italy for 17days F&E and I totally enjoyed myself as there was nobody to rush us and we were able to explore the places to oure hearts content.

suiching

when u go F&E, did u book the hotels prior to going?

is there a lot of work involve considering if we are also planning for our wedding?

pauline12sg

Hi aspiration,
I wish I can go F&E too... but I've not much time to do all the planning since hubby and I are preparing for our wedding and setting up our new house. If given a chance, I'll definitley would like to go F&E during our next trip to Europe. At least after the joining the tour package, we will have a better and clearer idea of the route there.
happy.gif

When was the time u went for the trip? Any place that is a must to visit?
happy.gif

jozy

Hi Pauline,

We yet to decide where to go leh, but if hubby allows, swiss is definitely one place I want to stop by. I saw the papers yesterday for tradewind, they have romance package for couples only. At $2888. When they say 12 days har, is include the journey there also, so come up to abt 9 days or so only right?

I was being adviced by my friend to go F&E also leh, say that they are able to cover more interesting places. I went to Taiwan F&E and indeed it was own time, own target and we get to plan our own itinery. But one thing is we gotta walk, take public transport and it does tires us out.

pauline12sg

Hi Ryes,

Which are the countries that are included in the $2888 package? Ya, the no of days they listed includes the journey there...

I went F&E to English / Chinese speaking countries before and it was really fun to explore on our own.
happy.gif
But for countries like Italy and Switzerland, there will be language problems leh, we have to point here point there in order to tell them what we wanted to say... hahah...

dawn45

hi gals

me also looking at europe trip for honeymoon in march 06. btw which agency u all hv shortlisted? me went thru their website but seem no guaranteed departure as yet.so now in dilema if shd plan for f n e. any advice?

jozy

Hi Pauline,

Erm, i cannot recall leh, but is either swiss/italy and paris or just swiss and italy.

Hi dawn, i tot unless they have the minimum number of pp who have signed up then they will hv gtee departure dates? I saw the papers dates are out for Mar already...

suiching

Hi,

Anyone knows if we can go for package tour for Italy and Switzerland? Then F&E for Paris and London?

Is it diffuclt to go F&E for these 2 places?

yule

Hi mousy pig
May I know what sort of package tour u intend to join for Italy and Switzerland? Those by singapore agents or those foreign ones like Thomas Cook, Trafalgar, Cosmos, STA??

It is not difficult to go F&E in London and Paris. Neither is it for Italy and Switzerland. Most European cities are tourist-friendly.

pauline12sg

Hi Ryes, do u know what is the minimum no of ppl to travel? Heard from my friend that if we book the tour nearer to the date to travel, we are usually able to get a good deal.

suiching

Hi Yule,

I'm actually looking for singapore agents but dun mind foreign ones also.

I was thinking of going F&E to Paris and Lodon after my package tour for Switzerland and Italy, do you think it is possible?

Heard some agencies say we will have to fly back from the same city that we landed?

yule

hi mousy pig:

the reason why they say you have to fly back from the same city of arrival is becos of cost. It's cheaper than to depart from a diff city u arrive naturally...

Which country is your point of entry into Europe: Switzerland or Italy? And which is your point of depature?

Why not ask the agency to swoop your return ticket from Switzerland/Italy to Depature from London instead? Just need to top up a bit lor, what to do?

Another way is to take Intercity train from your last tour destination, Swit/Ita, to neighbouring Paris. Then, from Paris Gard Du Nord take Eurostar to London Waterloo. Finally book with budget airline, Ryan Air, for one-way ticket from London Luton Airport to Rome; or London Stansted Airport to Milan. There is no connecting flights for Ryan Air to Switzerland cities, unfortunately.

suiching

Hi Yule,

I haven book my package yet so dunno which will be my point of entry/exit. Which is more convenient to go Paris?

I saw that Singapore has a branch to book Eurostar tickets? Did you book yours from there also? How about Hotel? Your book on the internet also?

makino

Hi, anyone so 'lucky' to encounter strikes while in Paris? I remember my tour guide saying that there are strikes quite frequently in this city, like transportation strikes.

yule

Hi mousy

OIC, you haven't decided your package yet...Both will have frequent connecting trains to France. Just that u need to know where is your last destination when your tour ends...I suspect it's ROME. People seldom depart for SG from Zurich or Geneva.

Which branch are you talking abt? I bought my Eurostar advance tickets in London. Sure, you can bought via the Eurostar website too. The earlier you confirm, the cheaper.

Tsukushi: Strikes are not uncommon in Europe. I've encountered dozens like tube strike, bus strike, firemen strike, cleaners strike, lecturer strike, airline strike, etc. Not to worry at all...there'll be alternative means of transport provided by the govt in the event of strikes. The trade unions will usually inform the relevant authorities way in advance of a sit-in so that the latter can activate its contingency plan.

jozy

hey pauline, sorry for the late reply.

They stated there min 10 pax to go, so I guess as long as we have 5 couples, can go liao lor.

hey mousy pig, me too am intending to go F&E in paris if i were to take up package for swiss/italy....

squiddy

hi all,

Actually why pay for tours to Europe? i have been going there many times and i dun have to pay so much for the travel. Buy a airticket, a euro rail pass and stay in decent hostels that look like hotel(brekkie incl.) all 13 days for less than 2k. get to travel your own at your own pace. but i guess it's all about comfort.....

yule

pepe:
It's mousy's honeymoon and i guess some ppl are too bsuy with their wedding preps and renovations that a package tour will seem more convenient. also, precisely becos it's their honeymoon that they dun want to cramp with other backpackers in those cheap dorms.

eurorail may not be worthwhile in some cases. mousy only wants to go to certain cities and therefore may not fully maximising that pass.

squiddy

who said anything about cheap dorms and sharing with other backpackers? there are hostels that provide for couples too. euro-rails has pass to 2 or 3 connecting countries or more. check www.travelex.com.sg but again i stress it is all about COMFORT...just giving my side....for those couples who are adventurous and wants freedom instead of just sitting behind the coach's window and admire the view from within.

suiching

wah this place getting ver *hot*...hehe, thanks for all the feedback.

I saw that there is a singapre branch for travelex....this is the one i am referring to.

Singapore Travelex Singapore Pte Ltd
50 Raffles Place
#01-02 A/B Singapore Land Towers
Singaporetel: 65-6534-3211
fax: 6423-0062
[email protected]

pauline12sg

Hi Ryes, 10 pax should be ok, not too many in a tour. It's good if the tour we are joining are all couples, will be very fun!
happy.gif

yule

Hi pepe!
I see you're referring to B&Bs and pensions. Becos u said "hostels", it reminds me of those YTH dorms where many student travellers sleep in one big unisex hall type
happy.gif
I ever stayed in one before.

Those "X countries only" passes may or may not justify the cost you pay for. It depends on the no. of cities u plan to go to.

Wow! Below S$2K for 13D is so cheap. That means you spent only 1K euros on airtic, pass, hostels, food, subways, attraction tix, souvenirs?!!! After deducting your Eurorail and return air tix, you are left with very little euros per day to spend for 13 days!

How many countries did u visit altogether? And did you take other means of transport like metro within the city? Do you live on bread and water alone for 13D? Do you sleep at rail stations/on sleeper trains? Don't you need to do laundry at all? Don't you need to pay Euros to watch musicals, enter certain attractions like Eiffel Tower, Louvre Museum, unless you just hangout at those FOC parks and gardens? I think you probably didn't buy any souvenirs in Europe!!!

I've lived in Europe for a few years, and I must say it's a feat to survive on that little budget, unless you're currently a student (under 26) who can enjoy youth discounts on Eurorail, hostels various attractions!!

Well-done pepe!

squiddy

whoooooo the place is really getting hotttt...looks like we found the one who is producing the heat...hehehe

yule

Hi hi pepe
happy.gif

Why are you so hot?!! We're talking abt Europe winter holidays, dear!

332645.gif

Hurry! Share your amazing budget breakdown with mousy so that she can minimise her expenses too!

squiddy

ermm... did i mentioned that the 2k is only transport and accommodation? common sense...how to include all the miscellaneous "entertainment/musuem/souvenir" fees under 2K?????

i spend total 8k incl transport,accom,train pass,shopping, sightseeing and even toilet fee for both of us. and we visited 4 countries.

P.S Lourve musuem on certain days are opened for free. Vatican musuem are open free on the first sunday of the month.

but hey i am not the expert in europe travel. some one else is. someone who stayed in europe long long time.

makino

pepe, cool down
happy.gif
actually from your earlier post, I also thought you did it with $2k only. I have friends who backpacked around Europe for 1 mth and managed to spend only $5k (but they were VERY thrifty).

dawn45

hi ryes

oh is it? dates on papers are out? me gotta chk it out. btw, are u also gog europe in march 06?

mousy, where u booking at?

squiddy

oh tsukushi,

i'm very cool actually. i'm contributing, that's what a forum is for....creating activity.heh heh heh i give one paragraph of views and someone will give 10 paraphs of views.....that is what activity is all about....

keep them rolling in people!!

yule

Oh little pepe...there is a vast difference between "creating activity" and misleading other forumers with wrong info.

I refer to your first misleading posting which reads: "i have been going there many times and i dun have to pay so much for the travel. Buy a airticket, a euro rail pass and stay in decent hostels that look like hotel(brekkie incl.) all 13 days for less than 2k."

The last sentence, "ALL 13 days for less than 2k" will mislead readers to think you're referring "ALL" to the preceding sentences which include: "Buy a airticket, a euro rail pass and stay in decent hostels that look like hotel(brekkie incl.)"

Yet, I'm confused at your second last posting which reads: "...did i mentioned that the 2k is only transport and accommodation? common sense...how to include all the miscellaneous "entertainment/musuem/souvenir" fees under 2K?????
i spend total 8k incl transport,accom,train pass,shopping, sightseeing and even toilet fee for both of us. and we visited 4 countries"

Are you telling me "airticket, a euro rail pass and stay in decent hostels that look like hotel(brekkie incl.)" do not constitute as: "transport and accommodation" as in your second last posting? Anyone with a decent command of English will see the contradiction.

And oh pepe dearest, how can you be so humble to say you're not an expert in Europe travel when in your original posting you proclaimed aloud that "i have been going there many times". Perhaps you freaked out knowing someone here like me bother to "give 10 paragraphs of views" to expose your misleading budget to those first-timer travellers to Europe.

And oh, no no, neither am I am expert. For I only lived in Europe for "a few years", not "a long long time" as you have wrongly indicated.
nono.gif

But thanks anyway for giving us the accurate budget breakdown. At least we know what you mean by "i dun have to pay so much for the travel", which is actually S$8k for 13 days for 4 countries.

332921.gif

glooop

anyone know the definition of "bitch"? Yuletide defines it!! = b

can someone start saying something more constructive instead of boasting around?? Yuletide, till then, pls put a stop to this childish behaviour, nobody's interested in your condescending attitude! aarghh....go go go!! go back to europe, dun turn this into yr little bitch galore...let's just get on with life!!