Do bridesmaids pay for their own dresses?

linaballerina

Can I ask a silly question? Do I have to pay for my bridesmaids (I have 2 or 3)dresses or do they pay for them themselves? I guess if not that expensive should be ok right?

anyone have any comments or suggestions?

providencia

I'm planning to pay for my bridesmaids' clothes cos i would like them to be colour coordinated, but it's really up to u.
My friends and I have made clothes as jiemei, at our own expense.

pinky81

I think I am going to discuss the matter with my jiemeis because I am not too sure how they would feel. If they feel alright with me subsidising half of their dress if they do not have the colour which I want, I would go ahead with it.

earl_grey

If you want to co-ordinate the entire look, it's better to pay for the dresses, then on your AD, give a smaller ang bao to the bridesmaids, or forgo the ang bao totally.

rooziegal

I love to get my jiemeis coordinated too! But to tailor make for all 6 of them is just too pricey! Do you guys know whether there is a place that rents bridesmaid dresses? I recall that Channel U had a wedding themed show a month back and they featured a studio that has a lot of bridesmaids dresses. Does anyone remember that?

cljl

hey all... im dealin with a messy problem now... Can someone enlighten mi....

My AD is in Jan and then i have 4 bridesmaid.... then i say i wanted to have 2 white n 2 pink.. then they say ok.. in the end now... they say white too transparent.... then pink dress cant find??? how come my previous fren say she want pink nobody voice out and we go along with her???!!!!!! ARRGH....

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

christinatyt

Hi CL&JL,

not sure whether this is too late. But if you want your BMs to be coordinated. Why not buy the dresses for them instead and give them smaller angbaos? That way they have to accept it. I bought all my BMs dresses from ebay and they are all new and from proper ebay stores. The dresses I bought are only about AUD$25-30 each inclusive of delivery and they are lovely and classy too! All my BMs loved them! Furthermore, now the exchange rate btw SIN to AUD is too freaking gd! If you would like the store name, I can email you. Oh yes, they have several whites and pink dresses that are pretty and their cutting fits most figures as well. Hope this helps.

shirlin3

When is your AD? recently I just tailor-made short dresses from China. Need about 2 -3 weeks. Not too bad. About $50 per dress on the average.

christinatyt

Hi Chan Mei Ting & Glamourous,

the store name is Ever pretty. Look at the dress on the model, you will be able to judge its quality better cause thats what you will get. Some of the dresses' materials are not very nice but some are pretty. Good Luck!

christinatyt

just sharing what I bought my BMs.
808002.jpg

cljl

Hi Christina,

Thanks! Its not too late as my AD is on Jan 09. HOwever, I told them that the theme will be white and asked them to look out for white dresses... Kinda of sick of the complains... Haiz... Will meet them up and pass them some sort of sponsorship to their dresses ba..... Any market rate to follow?

Oh Yes, my sis is only 13 going 14... Any dresses type to recommend as Im afraid some may be too matured for her... Thanks!

moonfairy

I've got 6 jie mei and I thought that it was easier to buy them the dresses and cut on ang bao money instead. This way can ensure that they will definately be coordinated. I got my jie mei casual sun dresses from states and ship them back. Kept to a budget of below $30sgd /pax inclusive for everything.

cljl

whow... Moonfairy... Thats quite a good deal leh.... But then wun ur jiemei feel awkard like uniform??? Just a penny of my thought...

nixxy

Usually the "uniform" look is nice for the day event but not for the night. I'm also sourcing for ebay shops that can tailor make my bridemaids dresses cheaply. Anyone got any ebay shops to recommend for that? I got the design in mind already. Will appreciate help alot, thanks!! =)

christinatyt

Hi CL&JL, Janice,

Everpretty is part of ebay. So the process of buying from them is done by bidding for the dress. You will need to set up an ebay account. I pay them through paypal (which to me is more secure) and furthermore they are partnered with ebay. Using paypal, you can either do a direct bank transfer or credit card transaction. Paypal will automatically convert the currency for you hence no currency xchange fee will be charged.

To buy the dress you have selected, you will need to bid. The highest bidder wins the dress so it really depends on your luck. The best technique is to wait until the last 1 min then you bid, putting the highest amt you are willing to pay for the item. That way, other pple watching the item will not have enough time to react. If you don't win the item, don't worry, Everpretty always repost their items so you will always have another chance. I bought alot of dresses from them and I never have to pay more than AUD$30 inclusive of postage so it really depends on your skill. Now the xchange rate btw sin and aud is very good so its a good time to buy!

I hope this helps girls! GOOD LUCK ALL THE WAY!!!

nelea

Hey Christina,

Just to check..so does that mean that you select the colour and the girls tell you which dress and which size they prefer? What if the dress or cut doesn't suit them? Did they alter it on their own? I have 8 bridesmaids, one of whom is living in the US, so ebay is a pretty decent option
happy.gif

christinatyt

HI Nelea,

I guess it depends on whether you want all your BM to wear the same dress with uniform colour and design or just same colour. For me I wanted all my BM to have the same dress so I bought all the same dress for them. If you want your BM to wear just the same colour, then perhaps they can choose their design themselves.

As for size: a little advice, I usually buy size 6-8. I am abt 158 tall and weigh 50kg and my BM is abt 165 and weigh 45kg and we both wear size 6! My other BM is about 160 tall and abt 55kg and she can fit a size 8. So I guess it depends on big (sorry this doesn't sound nice) your BMs are. If they are all skinny and average size, they definitely can fit a size 6-8. Also choose dresses with an A-line cut: it fits all shapes and sizes.

With regards to whether the cut suits the BMs, I guess you know your BMs well and perhaps have a slight idea of their dressing taste. My 3 BMs all have different taste: 1 simple and classic, 1 cute and princess and 1 chic and modern, so in the end I settle for a generic design that suit all of them (pic uploaded in previous post). All of them very happy! THank God! ANyway, most importantly is this is your wedding, their dress must also suit your wedding theme mah after all it is your day!

cljl

Thanks Thanks Christina.... I have just signed up for Paypal... Waiting for the bank to give me the code and I can start SHOPPING!!!!! Saw quite a few dresses which are not bad.....

moonfairy

I think it will look picture pretty with all the jie mei and xiong di coordinated. That's why I decided to source and provide the dresses so that everyone is in theme. I just like that "uniform" look.

christinatyt

Yea, I like my BMs being uniform and plus I have a church wedding so when they march down the aisle, it will look Video perfect too..hehe *Big Smile*

My theory is, if I buy the dresses and jewellery for my BMs, I don't have to give so much ang bao. Plus your BMs won't know how much the dresses cost. So save $$$ and it looks gd on you too. hehe

nixxy

I bought these for my bridesmaids. They are really every bit as beautiful as shown thou a tad bigger than expected. Nothing a little alteration will not fix. ^-^

I got them in different colours as I feel the both of them simply are not in the same colour group. Hehe!! I even bought one for myself!! Can't resist!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELEGANT-WHITE-STRAPLESS-BRIDESMAID-BRIDAL-EVENING-DRESS_W0QQitemZ360105779344QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBridesmaid_Dresses?hash=item360105779344&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

nixxy

I just tried to take some with my hp, gosh my hp camera cannot make it!! Hope you will find these useful still if need more, I'll try to take my camera back from my mom's place for better shots.

The blue and green are for my bridesmaids, red is one of my bridesmaids love it so much it ask me to help her order one more.

url]

The 3 dresses are all true to colour in the ebay auction, my camera seems to "auto adjust" the colour so it's kinda off now.

The one I'm taking pic of is the bright yellow one I bought for myself, think new year wear just nice. Hehe!!

url]

Without the belt.

url]

Top part of the dress.

url]

Lining at bust area, I think there is a slight bit of padding too.

url]

The hem, I lift the top layer up to show abit of the lining too. Never mind the patchy picture, its uniform in colour throughout the dress, it's just my cranky camera.

url]

The loop which I was hoping for. I was afraid the belt will shift around much and the belt is actually much better than the one shown in the ebay auction. They send me firm satin belts which I will very much prefer as I don't like my ribbons to be droopy like those on the models.

I wish I could take a picture of my in it too but it's really too big. I took size 4, smallest size already, so you ladies might have to take alteration fees into consideration too when buying.

Oh, did I post the wrong code? How come the pictures doesnt show? =X
Let me know if they can't be viewed k?

dazzling2008

Due to personal reasons, I have to let go 5 Pink Bridesmaids Dresses, with Black sash.
They are all BRAND NEW, has not been wore before.
IF U ARE KEEN, Please kindly email me at [email protected].

Im looking at $30 per dress (Exclusive of postage fees) FOR ALL 5 DRESSES and they can be altered to your desired fit.

For purchase of ONLY 1/ 2/ 3 Dresses, it will be at $35 per dress (Exclusive of postage fees).

Please email only for keen buyers, Thanks.

peace_lover

Hi Christina, check with you something pls?
When I clicked on the link of the bridemade dress u got for your jiemeis, is in USD $49.99. How do u get the rate of AUD $25-35? Sorry as I am very new to this. Thanks.

cho

i catered for bridesmaid dresses in my bridal package..

of coz, e designs r pretty limited, but at least it saves them e trouble of finding a suitable dress for the AM..

i would suggest tat if u only wan a particular look or dress for ur bridesmaid, it would be better to cater it for them..

pebblydiamonds

hi pearl! haha, c u in this forum also.

hmm actually don't u gals wonder, when u buy ur jieméi's dresses, do u think they will have chance to wear them again? or will they wear them again? imagine spending $50, $60 per dress per person, n they don't ever wear it again. 6 jiemeis means it'l cost u $300...
i had a friend who asked me which dressmaker and when i'm bringing my jiemeis to make their dresses, need at least 3 months for tailor-making, n need to coordinate timing etc.
i almost fainted. cos even my own gowns are not MTM also. sigh. so i'm wondering if there's a more common expectation of the bride getting the dresses for jiemeis..

baobao_baobei03

Due to personal reasons, I have to let go 5 Purple Bridesmaids Dresses from Sugar Link.
They are all BRAND NEW, has not been wore before.
Please kindly email me at [email protected] if you are keen.

I am looking at $45 per dress. I have 3S size,1M size and 1L size.

Thanks.

i got my jiemeis' dresses from Love Potion as well.

What I did was to try and buy dresses that my jiemeis could wear on normal days as well so that they can wear it post wedding. My jiemei dresses look like sundresses so they can wear it to lunch weddings or wedding dinners or normal day out ;)