Difference between church wedding mass and church wedding service

Bexavenna

Hello!

My fiancé is non-catholic and I’m a catholic, and we have plans to get married in church; however I was told the wedding mass in church will be different - that it’ll be a service instead. Does anyone know what the church wedding service entails? Does it differ from each church?

Because if that’s the case, is it possible to get the catholic priest to solemnise in another venue other than in church?

Thanks!
Bex

Zachary

have you booked a church for mass yet? you need to book in advance, and i believe the coordinators will be more than appropriate to advise you .

basically, it's like a normal mass that includes the swearing / solemnisation in the middle...

advisable to go for marriage preparation course first too. do give it a thought if you are not on it yet

gghx

Hello Bex

My husband (we ROM-ed already, just waiting for the wedding) is Catholic and I’m not.
Our church told us, church wedding service does not include the Eucharist/Holy Communion, whereas the church wedding mass includes that.
The parish priest has to solemnize the wedding in his parish church, not possible to use another venue, e.g. the hotel or restaurant.

Would be good to sign up for Engaged Encounter (EE) too, usually your priest would encourage you too, because it is also one of the requirements before you can get married in a Catholic Church.
The EE program is always oversubscribed, so it is good to book it way in advance.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

zonda

Hello!

My fiancé is non-catholic and I’m a catholic, and we have plans to get married in church; however I was told the wedding mass in church will be different - that it’ll be a service instead. Does anyone know what the church wedding service entails? Does it differ from each church?

Because if that’s the case, is it possible to get the catholic priest to solemnise in another venue other than in church?

Thanks!
Bex

Hello Bex, just to share for my own upcoming wedding. I am the non-catholic and my fiance is a baptized catholic.

1) we got a priest we are both comfortable with to solemnize our wedding in another church. Not his own church. Just make sure the priest and the church you plan to hold in are both ok with that. For our case, the church actually told us they prefer us to get our own priest as their inhouse priests are quite busy.

2) our priest told us even though its a mixed marriage, he can also do a full wedding mass and not just a service (because my fiance's mom wants so). He personally feels it should just be a service as the non-catholic family might feel out of place. However he leaves the decision to us,in his words "family harmony most important".

3) from our understanding, a catholic wedding has to be held in a church / cathedral and not hotel, unless there are some particular reasons for exceptions.

Lastly, as what the others advise, both of you need to attend the MPC first and also permission from a priest whos willing to solemnize for you, only then can you hold a catholic church wedding :)

Good luck!