DIAMONDS Lovers!!!

biba8169

Dear gals,

I really appreciate all replies...thank-Q.

Having seen all comments, I wonder if most jewel retailers carry Lazzare? I went to Wisma Atria yesterday and saw their Destinee in the display, Gosh,that must be a 1.06carat! (I guess, maybe I m wrong)Very sparkle and a beauty indeed. My sis did suggest I get a brilliant rose from Soo kee but I hesitate given that LeeHwa/Apsial design is more appealing to me.

Anyway,Bubblez, is Larry hving sale now? I knew dat they are so-called high-end retailer, so probably what carat size will I get with a budget of say $2,500-$3,000 from Larry?Are they very pushy?

kel

Hi everyone,

don't mind if I join in? Larry is the sole distributor of Lazare diamonds. So, you won't find it anywhere else. Again, Lazare is also just a brand name. Lazare only carries diamonds cut to a certain range of proportions. They also call it the ideal cut but that's ideal under Lazare standards. According to them, Lazare is still better than AGS triple 0. Not sure if it's a sales pitch. But it does look very sparkly. But then again, what doesn't in the shop?
happy.gif

Larry also carries AGS stones. They don't charge as much as premium as lee hwa. It's still cheaper than Lazare.

not sure what you can get with budget of $2,500 to $3,000 though... Must see what stones they have. They are not really that pushy lah. Quite ok.

Happy shopping!!

bubblez

Hiya.. Larry's in having a sale now, it is a yearly sale that lasts for one month. The sales people are not pushy, they took the time to explain to me what a Lazare is and at the end of it all, I spent quite some time in the shop but they didn't pressurise me to buy. Not sure what size you can get with $2500-$3000.

My friend got a 0.6 caret one, not sure of the colour and clarity for about $6k , another friend got a 0.3 caret one, not sure about the colour and clarity for about $3k i think. Both of then got it during sales. This is just a gauge, not sure about the details.

But I agree with kel..
If you are talking perfect sparkly diamond, it has to be the pink diamond,
if you are talking branded diamond, then it is the lazare,

if you want a sparkly diamond that is value for money, I would suggest getting an AGS non branded stone. It is an international cert, so better resale value, it is quite sparkly and you are not paying for a brand name..

Why don't you go check it out? Go Larry's to look at the Lazare and ask then to show you a GIA diamond of the same grade and you will know what I mean when I say that it is more sparkly, then decide if you think it is worth paying that much more for a sparkly stone
happy.gif

rocher_ho

Hi.. but how come everyone is talking about AGS and GIA certs. How abt HRD cert? Is there a big difference in the quality and price of the diamonds if they belongs to different kinds of certs?
Btw, I have a 0.41 carat and it comes with HRD cert. And was told by my FH that he has viewed it under the telescope and it has a laser-inscribed serial no. at the gridle with the same no. as the cert.

icecream

Hi biba,
I got a 0.38ct AGS triple 0 diamond from Larry's at $2300 after adding in white gold setting. Non-sales period. Hope this is a good guide for you.

ran_mel

Hi icecream,

that is quite a good deal for a AGS diamond. I jus exchanged my Brilliant Rose for an AGS 0.43ct F VS2 costing $3300. Seems like I got chopped again!

Jus 0.05ct difference and i am paying 1k more. I felt so disappointed in my purchase of my enagement ring. How come I just can't get a good deal??? Maybe it's my mistake of purchasing at that shop!
angry.gif

kat_tan

Hi everyone,

Just like to inform that I have 8 $20 Lee Hwa($160) worth of vouchers to be used for purchasing of Diamond jewellery. Validity till end Nov. Willing to let go at a cheaper price.

I got these vouchers when I purchased my engagement ring last mth. No intention of getting any diamond jewelleries lately.

Thus like to ask if any of you are interested.

Kindly drop me a mail at : [email protected], if you are interested.

biba8169

Hi ice-cream,

Great news as it seems to me. I would like to pop-in to Larry this sat to take a look.

Well, can anyone advise which web will provide basic knowledge of getting a diamond? The terms used especially.

queoof

Hope you guys don't mind me butting in...

Hi Melissa,
Don't worry too much about getting chopped. We don't know the color and clarity of the $2300 diamond. It may not be F,VS2. Also, not all diamonds are created equal even if color, clarity and weight are the same, there are different prices for different quality of cut.
You may be charged more because of this. GIA or AGS may grade lousy stones too, it just depends on the stone that is sent to them for appraisal.
Actually, there should be not be much price diff between AGS and GIA, just that as you say, AGS defines more parameters of the diamond than GIA and so you can make a better decision on choosing.

Finally, its more than just price when we buy the diamond. Its also for who we buy or from who we receive thats also impt.

ran_mel

Hi Jeff,

I know what you mean when you say it is the person who is giving me the ring that is imp. It's just that I wanted my hubby's money to be spend worth while.

You know I feel so heart pain when I know I can get an also the same diamond at a much cheaper price....It's like spending the extra money for nothing when it could be spent on something else more pratical.

kitt

hi melissa

Dun be so upset ...your deal of $3.3k for 0.43carat sounds fine to me. Think for a good color uncertified diamond of that size will also cost at least close to $3k... what's more since yours is certified.

Did your jewellery make you trade in your brilliant rose at a discount?

ran_mel

Hi Kitty

I was lucky to trade in my ring within one month of purchase, so it was like and one to one exchange, just that I top up the extra.

But after this incident, I think it is better not shop at those got 'brand' jewerelly shop. Just paying for the name and advertising.

queoof

Hi Melissa
Let me know if you want to get anything custom made. I have some contacts for diamonds and jewellery setting. It should be cheaper than most of the Shopping Mall shops.

lillian

Dear All

I know this thread is for the discussion of diamond rings but I really don't know where I could post this question.

Could anyone please let me know where I can get a platinum wedding band for around $300+? Just a plain band with a shiny finish (as oppose to a matt finish). I've already tried Lee Hwa/Aspial, Soo Kee, GoldHeart and theirs is round the $1,000 mark.

Thanks!

ran_mel

Hi, Lillian

you mean one band for $300+ or both band at $300+?
COs from what I know, platinum rings are more costly.

kite~

hi gals,

can u tell me whether this Lee Wah diamond ring as shown below is good? cos i m stil very blur in looking out for gd diamond. Anyone can go through n explain one by one as shown below. thanks

- 0.37 carat
- Grade G, VS1
- Measurement: 4.56 - 4.64mm x 2.81mm
- Shape and cutting style: Round Brillant
- Dept: 61%
- Table: 60%
- Girdle: Very Thin
- Cutlet: Very Small
- Finish Polish: Good
- Symmetry: Good
- Fluorescence: FAINT

btw which one refers to facets? i m blur. thanks for ur help

sousa

Hi Kite,

Here's what I think. Personal comments only from the little that I know. Will go through one by one as you mentioned:

- 0.37 carats - not much to say about this. Size if up to you how big a diamond you want to buy.
- Grade G, VS1. G is still colorless and a good value for money color to go for. vs1 is not the best clarity but again good value for money. Personally, I wouldn't mind a G, VS1 but I won't go below that.
- Measurements - not so significant unless you are buying a pair of stones to be made into earrings or buying three matching stones for a trilogy.
- Dept: lies within the "ideal cut" range
- table: slightly out of the "ideal cut" range which is 53-57%. But 60% is still acceptable and not considered too deep.
- girdle: good. Should not be going for thick or faceted girdle.
- culet : ok, better if it was "none" but very small still acceptable.
- fluorescence: for a colorless stone, it is better to go for one without florescence as this can create a blurry, milky look to the stone. However, with a lower color stone , eg from H/I onwards, a little florescence can make the stone whiter. For a G color, very faint florescence is still tolerable.

In general, this stone is not the very very best out there but can be good value if you got a good price for it. How much were you offered for it?

kite~

hi sousa,

wow u're an expert. know so much abt diamond while i hv not much knowledge at all. hehe. where did u learn all this from?

well this Lee Wah diamond ring costs $2688 but after discount, it's costs abt $1700. what do u tink? price reasonable? thanks.

queoof

Hi Kite,
For your diamond, some more personal comments,
Size: all up to you.
G,VS1: I personally like G, very best of all worlds color. (Best in price and overall colorless enuff). However, you'll be surprised how white an ideal cut H or even I will look face up after setting. I like VS1 and even VS2, very good value for money. (Why pay for IF or VVS1/2 when you can't see the diff)
Size: OK.As sousa says, you would only match this if you are going for pairs... Unless this number is really off, you don't want to buy a 0.4Carat with the size of a 0.3 carat.
Cut wise: OK enuff. Not the very best. Ideally, we should have more than just depth and table info to make accurate comments on cut. But GIA does not provide for such detail, unlike AGS. I'm assuming this is GIA?
Thin girdle is good. Thicker it is means wastage of carat weight in the girdle area. Bad side of very thin girdle, very thin girdle runs the risk of chipping. But unless you are really rough with it.
Cutlet is best at none, but very small is acceptable.
Symetry and polish is ave, I think. GIA has 2 more grades above good.
Flourescent, my opinions the same as sousa. We probably can't really see faint.
As for price(assuming white gold), I think you could probably find some better quality stones for the same price. But it really depends, if you really like the stone, GET IT! All these analysis don't mean a thing if u don't like the look.

Jeff
[email protected]

mtmtmt

I like G colour minimum, VS2 minimum, don't mind a wider spread (max 60% table), avoid v.thin girdle (risky for prong setting... and nowadays bezel setting not that popular anyway), very small or none culet, gd symmetry & polish good enough for me, faint flourescence acceptable.
happy.gif

I like white gold setting so poor colour stone would show up poorly, however, my skin tone is somewhat warm too, so the stone will still appear darker on me.

buffy

Hi all,

I am just helping a friend to post this up. He bought a Lazare solitaire 1+ year ago and still has the original papers (so confirmed genuine, no worries!). Bought it at more than 5k+. However, he has to let go of it due to personal reasons. His asking price is $3.5k. I have seen the diamond and would have personally bought it over except that my hubby bought me a GIA 41 pointer. So no point for me to spend on this when it is only slightly bigger than what I already have. I have seen the condition and it is still very good.

First come first serve hor. Thanks!

sousa

Hi Kite,

I agree with Jeff that you can probably get a better stone for that price. For that matter, I have a 0.38, VS1, G color but brilliant rose (which is I think a better cut) for S$1700. But even then I thought it was expensive because I know places where you can get the same quality for much less. But it's all about personal sentiments. Dimensions, readings etc are just numbers, if the stone just grabs you, then go for it!!!! : )

poupie

hi buffy,
can you tell me the carat size, color and clarity?
is this a lazare diamond with cert? i am quite interested in this.

lemoncake

Hi all,
I have S$175 vouchers from Gold Heart, use with purchase above $1000, so it is best for buying diamond ring. if you have member card, can have discount on top of the vouchers. interested do e-mail me your address then I just send to you.

ran_mel

Hi Sousa,

Your Brilliant Rose is it the one Soo Kee always have on their advertisement? How come the price so cheap?

I got mine at $3075 but only 0.30ct.

buffy

Hi Poupie,

The colour is E and the clarity is VS1 (eye clear). Yeah, it is a Lazare with cert and not the normal GIA that is sold at Larry's.

PM or send me a private email if you have any more questions and I will try to put my friend in contact with you.

biba8169

Hi Ice-cream,

What's the color & clarity of ur 0.38 Lazare diamond? When did u get this solitaire? Now, Larry is having annual sale of 15%. I got myself a 0.37carat lazare, wif white gold setting cost me $3000. It's sales period, wonder if the quoting is subjective.

It'll come wif lazare cert but why doesn't it comes wif original AGS cert? Does that means consumer will have to send their diamond for certification?

poupie

hi biba,
Lazare has their own certification lab, it is a very good cert, not to worry. Lazare is very famous in the States. this is the only diamond cutter which has a trademark of " the world most beautiful diamond"...
happy.gif
the sparkle of the diamond is even better than a triple zero AGS diamond. i myself is a Lazare diamond fan.

biba8169

Thks poupie,
Ya I've heard many verdict abt Lazare's diamond being the best in the world. Juz gotten confused by destinee's & their sales pitch. The guy there at LeeHwa kinda says their Destinee is superior as they are using a new tech. to cut the diamond and the AGS cert. no. is only in 5 digits? I thought as there's lesser diamond being cut,so the identification # is of lesser digit? And their has 57facets ie. no culet, hence no light is lost at the bottom, unlike others having 58facets.So i reckon lazare has a pointed bottom(blunt bottom) so it can't capture much brillancy as Destinee? watsmore, is it true that destinee is a transformation of "hearts on fire"? juz a hear-say.

Hi Angeline,
The sales will last till end Dec 03. u may pop-in to have a look. yea,I must agreed that Larry's staff are all very polite and work ard ur budget. They really take their time to explain all ur queries, indeed very patient.Will definitely patronise for my next diamond.

queoof

Personally, I would not get a branded stone, (unless they go for the same price as unbranded GIA, AGS etc...) You can still find beautiful stones (non branded) if you look hard enough and then take the time to source a nice setting and then get it set. That's more fun!
happy.gif

Biba,
It's still basically the same, 57 or 58 facets. They are still round brillants, whereas the Brillant Rose is not the traditional round brillant (much more facets). Hearts on Fire, Destinee, Lazare are all brands of "ideal cut" diamonds. Lazare has their own certification whilst Destinee sends theirs to AGS for certification. Not too sure about HOF thou. Personally, if I really had to choose a branded stone, I would go lazare.
Just as comparison, we could probably almost get a 0.5Carat stone for a 0.3Carat branded stone, assuming equal quality.

bubblez

hi people,

soo kee is having a pretty good offer on the brilliant rose for those who are interested.

they are offering to buy back the brilliant rose diamond at purchase price within 1 year of purchase, at 10% off at 1-2 years of purchase and 20% off at 2-3 years of purchase if you upgrade to a brilliant rose of a larger size.

It is a really good deal for people who are interested in the brilliant rose and are considering a possible upgrade in the future. FYI.... Just sharing
happy.gif

Oh, something else to share: I just went to look at diamonds, a price comparison i found out:

For $10K, you can get
Brilliant rose: 0.73 caret, G, VS1, unset (Sookee has 5% discount)
Destinee: 0.74 caret, G, VS1, unset (Lee Hwa has 10% discount)

The brilliant rose and destinee are actually priced at the same values for the same quality stone, before discount.. I have yet to go do a price comparison for the Lazare..

happy.gif

queoof

Hi Bubblez,

Very interesting comparison,
I'll just add one more to it.
GIA ideal cut diamond.Hearts and Arrows 0.70, VS2, unset. Ex Symetry/Ex Polish. S$ 5K+

With 10k, we can even get close to 1 carat. But then again, its al preference. That's why there are BMWs and Mercedes around.

Cheers!

bubblez

Jeff...

can i ask where you managed to find a GIA H&A diamond with excellent polish and symmetry?

I have been looking around at quite a few shops in the market and it's really difficult to find that. The only place I could find with GIA H&A and excellent polish and symmetry is at House of Hung..

The price Lee Hwa quoted to me for a GIA 1 caret G, VS, diamond table proportions almost within ideal and very good polish and symmetry is $20+k

And yeah, not just BMW and Merc, let's not forget the Porsche as well
happy.gif

queoof

Hi Angeline,

There are some shops in Chinatown where I got my engagement ring for my GF. I'm going down quite often as I'm in the midst of customizing our wedding bands. Drop me an email and let's go together. I'll intro you to the boss there.

If anyone's interested, my wedding bands look something like the Cartier rolling rings. (All in white gold, with one diamond for me and scattered diamonds on one single band for her)
happy.gif

Comes up to less than 1K.

buffy

Hi Jeff,

Would you know the pricing for a Princess Cut Solitaire 70 pointer? GIA certified? Perhaps an F colour? I have been looking for one for ages and have yet to find it.

Most shops sell round brilliant ones and my engagement ring was a 41 pointer so no point for me to buy another one of the same cut lor.

Thanks!

poupie

hi bubblez,
i suggest you go to larry. other than lazare, when they select any GIA stones to sell, they normally only take Excellent (E) polish and symmetry else it is a E/VG or VG/VG.
As for AGS, they take triple zero diamond.
so if you want a excellent AGS diamond, i strongly suggest that you may as well go to larry to buy and no need to pay the premium for the brand (destinee or aurias).

there is another shop Fairy Inc in Delfi Orchard, their diamond is also very good (GIAs or no certs) some of their no-cert diamonds are brillant!

poupie

hi biba,
lazare are "no culet". i don't know much of Destinee, so cannot comment much, but i do feel that destinee is a bit over price.

Hi buffy,
i will get back with you on the diamond.. need to ask fh first.

Princess cut solitaire! very good taste. this design is HOT (outside asia)!

queoof

Hi Poupie,
What you say is very true. No point paying premium on Destinee, Aurias etc... But then there are still other stores for AGS000 or GIA Ex/Ex diamonds besides Larry.
happy.gif

poupie

hi jeff,
hmm.... not sure other stores, i think other bigger stores should have some selection.... AGS000 are now very hot, and difficult to source.

very seldom a man will be interested in diamonds! you are different leh... my fh is very "nervous" when i visit any diamond stores..haha!

queoof

Hi Poupie,
Very true! Used to be the same way til I had to get one for wife to be. Read up, asked, looked at practically every shop in SG and learnt lots and also gained an interest in it myself!

Actually, I have quite a few sources for AGS0, but AGS000 (with D color (one 0), IF (2nd 0) and Ideal polish, symetry,proportion (last 0)) is rather hard to come by.

CHeers!

sousa

Hi Bubblez,

If you're prepared to spend 10K, you can easily get a o.90-0.95 stone with excellant color, clarity and cut. Take for example, a 1.10 G color, VS1 costs 12K. I would stretch my budget a little bit more and get a 1 carat or stick to the budget and get a almost one carat.

I find shops like Lee Hwa, Goldheart, Soo Kee etc way overpriced. Much rather buy from a small outlet which is reputable and do my research properly so that I know how to recognise a good stone.

buffy

Hi Poupie,

Sure, no worries. If you wanna take a look at it first, I am sure my friend can meet up with you. Honestly, it is a good buy lor for a Lazare. Sigh... Unfortunately, they dun have the same one for princess cut!

Yeah, I like Princess Cut though everyone I know tells me that it is less brillant than the round cut because of less facets. But like I said, I already have a rund brillant one so no point lor... Yeah, am so glad that there are so many diamond "kah kis" here. Hee hee...

queoof

Hi Mocha,
You can still find H&A on stones that are not AGS0 or Ex/Ex. Probably you can say that the H&A may be be as well defined as an AGS0. But I cannot really tell the diff.

I agree with Souza. Take the time to find and you can find stones much cheaper than your conventional shopping mall jewellers. Just make sure you research properly, know what you want and even go with someone familiar to look at the stones.

Have fun!