Dentist

fruit3

i want to do some scaling and polishing. anybody can remmend me a good and patient dentist that is reasonably-priced?

boo-hoo ... i hate visiting the dentist, very very scared.

thanks

elmo2109

hi fruit3,
no need to be scared of, it shouldn't be painful if you take care your teeth everyday. Try using floss and rinse regularly if you haven't. Compared to wisdom tooth extraction, scaling and polishing is nothing.

The cheapest should be polyclinic. If you don't want to queue, you may just pop into any dental clinic nearby. The procedures for dentists should be quite standard. Price range from $35-55 depends on area (rental diff).

I would suggest you to visit dentisit at least once a year. My fren who didn't visit dentist for ard 4 yrs detected so many tooth problems by her dentist, end up paying a lot.

F

fluke

if you want recommendations, you can drop me a mail. One of my best fren's a dentist and he is very gentle and patient. Will explain to ya the things he is going to do and let you know what to expect.

[email protected]

ssl

hi fruit3,

u are not alone.
i'm also a "no dentist" person cos i had too much of them when i was young. and got scared after a bad incident when i was young.

Fluke,

may i know the location of your friend's clinic??

S

sp

Hi fluke,

Could I have your friend's name, thinking of going to see him
happy.gif

[email protected]
SP

monica

Me too I really really hate dentist. Infact I have this phobia of dentist. While waiting I already cry. I think all my dentist I used in the past also damn scared when I visit. Anyway I've found a dentist that is really gentle and good. He actually put a tv in the ceiling to distract you during the whole ordeal. Although abit more expensive I feel that it's worth while since it's only twice a year visit. The Dentist is a Suntec City (Smile Inc.)

fruit3

hi everybody: thanks for your speedy reply and good info.

bluechin: I am currently staying in the north.

elmo2109: wow, you are really an expert. I brush teeth very often (2 - 3 times per day) and also use mthwash. but have very poor, bleeding gums. will give flossing a try too.

SSL & Monica Eng: oh, i thought i was the only one scared of visiting the dentist. everyday, month, year, I will promise myself to go; but whenever i think of the cold chair, the stainless steel tools, the totally unwelcomed noise of the drill, ... i freak out!

Wow, there's TV? Hey, i always hope that dentist have one on the ceiling when i was a little girl!!!!! how's the price range like?

fluke & mandysst: o.k, i'll email you later.

p/s: how does one overcome that fear? deep breathing helps?

elmo2109

haha, I think I'm the lucky one. I love visiting dentist, maybe always got praise from the dentist. But becoz quite ex by visiting dentist, so go once a year.

fruit3, dun brush ur teeth too hard leh, i think you will make ur teeth more sensitive. Dentist advised me to use small and soft toothbrush. Last time my gum very weak, often bleeding when I started to use floss, as the time goes by, my gum becomes stronger now. :>

monica

Fruit I used to have very weak gums. Eat bread also will bleed. After I went to this dentist at smile inc...... he did some intensive cleaning. I don't know wht it's called but he said it's due to not visiting a dentist for X number of years

I did some filling and full polishing. Well the polishing was so intensive they had to split it into 2 visits....... That visit cost me $400 over...... But subsequent visits is always $100 +
It's expensive but sure beats the dentist I went to who extracted my tooth for $35.00..... he freightened me so much. Didn't even coax me and just kept pulling at my tooth..... it broke into 3. and one part was stuck inside. After much manipulation he got it out. But I was extremely tramatized after that.

Smile Inc has all the very cool equipment. Even the dental chair very very cool. Lie down just relax and watch TV. Can ask them change channel too. And the doctor very good. He is the only dentist that I went and didn't cry one.

During my school days huh my parents had to pull me out from under the bed just to visit dentist. Then when I was put on the chair I would kick and punch the nurses and doctor. It was so bad that they had to gas me to remove my tooth......

monica

ooops paiseh not polishing it's scaling........
After that one appointment of intensive scaling my gums were immediately healed.... no more bleeding no more swelling.....

fruit3

Monica Eng,
ha ha ... " I would kick and punch the nurses and doctor ..." I can identify with that; except mine was done in my mind. (Alley McBeal style; me love imagining; hee!)

Wow, you can even request to change channel? Cool!!!

emlo2109,
o.k, good advice, I not "ill-treat" my teeth. I often brush them so hard. really admire you having beautiful teeth -- even got praises -- I also want!

Let me share my little "secret": when i was a little girl; one of the reasons that i hope to grow up is ... "so that i do not have to attend the very fierce dentist in my school!" ha, ha, silly me! but can't escape not to visit the dentist, unless i do not care for my set of precious teeth.

o.k, now that i can choose my dentist, i shall buck up all courage to give it a good cleaning! : )

K

kk

To those who have weak bleeding gum

Use progencyl toothpaste, can be found in watson or ntuc, v effective.

jes

hi gals

isit advisable to go for cleaning (or polishing?) or teeth when my photo shoot is only 4 days away?

francoise

Jes

I went to Smile Inc at Suntec City too. I wanted to do "Bleaching" initially but it was really expensive so i drop that idea. my budget is only $1500- $2K.

priviledged

Francoise,
I just visited the dentist today, and he suggested I go for the BriteSmile treatment to whiten my teeth. It is a state of the art treatment, and costs about $1200. Effects last for about 2 years, follow-ups don't cost as much.

You can check out the website at www.britesmile.com

They have a list of Singapore practitioners too.

tomato

a cheaper alternative is NTUC Dental Care at Orchard Midpoint. like you fruit3, i've also phobia of dentist! coz of a very traumatic experience with my primary school's dentist
sad.gif
can u believe it i haven't been to a dentist in 10yrs :p :p ... hmmm.. maybe even more. last week I finally resolved to confront my fears once and for all, made an appointment with them. i thot this time sure jiat lat, kenna a normal tooth extraction will be lucky liao, if unlucky will kenna wisdom tooth extraction. but i was wrong.... the dentist said my teeth was still in quite gd condition
happy.gif
touch wood touch wood. She performed extensive polishing, scrapping of plague, and refilled a cavity filling which had fallen out. All these for only $95 ! very good deal for someone who hasn;t visited dentist for 10yrs....heh heh heh... 10% discount applies to NTUC linkcard/income policy holder and if your company joined NTUC health-services scheme. My dentist is really gentle and nice, dispels my notion of dentists being aggressive and cruel (yes! my pri school's) .. i think it's Dr Lim guat toh or something like that.

I'm so happi & relieved that i've finally conquered my fear.... in fact... tis can be considered one of my accomplishment for yr2002 liao... my phobia was that bad... trust me...

maygal

Hi tomato,

U are lucky to get a good dentist from NTUC Dental Care. I went to the NTUC dental care 2 year back, the one in Bt Merah and they dun seem to do a good job. The filling they did for my teeth either fell off within a few months or not well done (i.e. u will feel sensitive even after they hv done the filling). Eventually, I decided to change a dentist.

Since then, I have been visiting Mandarin Dental at Bt Merah and they were really gd. It's slightly more exp than NTUC but they do a good job and use good quality material for filling.

priviledged

Francoise, yes, I've booked an appointment for next Thursday evening. A bit apprehensive about the result coz my teeth have a heavy tetracycline staining. Hoping for the best.

Check out the website, it's very tempting.

All the best to you too. We all want to have beautiful smiles in our photos and on our wedding day.
biggrin.gif

A

angelbella

Hi,
I've got a really good dentist to recommend. She's Dr Theng from Theng and Partners in Katong Shopping Centre (Medical Centre). She does a really thorough job in cleaning her patients' teeth and offer good advice ($35 for my regular check-up). At each check-up, she will do things ranging from polishing to flossing to applying a layer of, i think, fluroide at the end. I've been with her for a few years. A very nice lady...Her schedule is very tight got many customers, so must make appointment before u go..Very smoothing ambience..no terror of visting dentist
happy.gif

whitefloral

Hi

got a dental clinic to recommend: Q & M dental (tel:66654233) located at Bt Batok. It has several dentists but i was treated by Dr Canon Chong. Friend recommended to see him for root canal treatment and crowning. thought it would be a very painful process after hearing from other friends but he was very gentle and nice, very observant too. he noticed i was very tensed up on my first visit (coz i was sooooo scared) and told me step by step wat he wld do to get me to relax. He is also very patient. During the treatment, he asked how i was. Saw him 5 vists in all to get everything done but definitely recommended. Not painful
happy.gif

francoise

Hi Priviledged

really?? that's fast. I saw the web-site. I read articles abt BriteSmile before. Not sure whether it will be painful or not coz my gums are really sensitive. Used to bleed a lot but after i change to electronic toothbrush, it got better.

of course, i also wanna have sparky tooth for my wedding shoot.
happy.gif

priviledged

Francoise, i'll be sure and keep you updated on the procedure. My dentist recommended it (probably because his clinic has the equipment) and set up the appointment immediately. Will be next week. Hoping for the best.

priviledged

Hi everyone, (especially Francoise). Had my Brite Smile procedure done last night. My teeth are noticeably whiter, 9 shades, according to the dentist, who had a real hard time at first trying to match my original teeth colour.

It was a little uncomfortable with my mouth held open by some kind of retractor for over 1 hour. But also I was 'high tide'
lol.gif
(hahaha) and I'm not the kind that can sit real still for long, so that was hard. Towards the end, there were momentary shooting pains in some of my teeth, and occasionally last night. But now, everything is alright.

I think if you can tahan all that, it's worth a try.

fruit3

hi Priviledged, may I know how much does the Brite Smile treatment cost? Is the procedure about 1 hr? me very very tempted but VERY SCARED!!!

hi tomato, so you conquered all your fears once and for all -- admire your courage. I wanted to go to the dentist but bec' of work and heavy projects and postphone my visits (very good excuse, cos i scardey cat!!!) I MUST make effort to go in AUG 2002!

thanks all for suggesting the good dentists.

happy brushing!

priviledged

Hi fruit3,
The BriteSmile procedure cost me $1200. The entire procedure, from the initial preparation of the teeth with some polishing, phototaking, gelling, to the end, with the final cleaning out and phototaking again, took 2h.

The actual time spent under the blue light was exactly 1h, with 3 cycles of 20 minutes, between which the dentist reapplied the whitening gel.

It is worth a try. My FH noticed the difference immediately. The little pain experienced after the procedure with the nerves a little sensitive wore off overnight.

Just remember to go to the toilet first before starting!!!
lol.gif

mit

Hi Priviledged,

I am interested in the BriteSmile too. can I check with u which dentist did u go to? Wish to
get it done next month.

thanks
happy.gif

flyn

Hi mit and all,

I can recommend my dentist at Tanjong Pagar who use the latest technology called "Laser Brite". He is charging $800 for 1 person, $700 for 2 persons each and $600 for 3 persons or more each. You can gather your FH, family or friends to do it together coz u can share the whitening gel. My dentist is a nice, humorous guy and will make u feel at ease. By looking at your teeth, he also can know your character type. If you are interested, you can call their dental nurse, Angeline, to make an appt. T: 62256323.
happy.gif

crystal

Hi flyn

Have u tried it? Good?

Is it also a 1 hr treatment? Is it more effective than Brite Smile or the same? 1 treatment enuff??
last for how long?

Hee...

flyn

Hi Crystal,

I have not try it yet but I will do it 1 month b4 my photoshoot in oct hopefully.
happy.gif
Heard the effect is equivalent to Brite Smile or maybe even better, moreover, they are using the latest technology. The whole process takes abt 1 hr i think. The whole procedure is something like Brite Smile with some difference i think ... sorry ah, can't remember everything :p

Well, u can call them and make an appt with my dentist, consultation fee abt $20 if i remember correctly. You can check with the nurse when u call up abt the fees. They are friendly bunch of ppl.
happy.gif

As how long will it last ah?? Well, that depends on how u take good care of your teeth. No smoking, no coffee, avoid anything that stains your teeth.
happy.gif

flyn

oh yah... juz to share what i have seen... my uncle who is a social smoker went to see him for cleaning and tooth filling...gosh his teeth is obviously much cleaner than b4.
happy.gif
His teeth used to be so brownish stained, yeeks... but I'm surprised that it can be cleaned. :p I'm impressed loh...
happy.gif

roxy

Hi,

I finally plucked up the courage to visit the dentist today after procrastinating for so long! You know, having cold feet. Anyway, I would like to recommend NTUC Denticare at Bishan. It was my first time there and I was impressed by the look of the shop! Very clean and tidy. And no "clinic smell"!
happy.gif
Exceeded my expectations. It is also very reasonably priced and nice dr. too! I did scaling & polising, xray and removal of stains all within 30 minutes and it costs $69. Now i have sparkling white teeth to show off to my hubby!!!
happy.gif

fruit3

hi roxy,

good on you; very courageous!

may i know that contact no. of the dentist?

I want to go too when i complete my project next week!

N

neonstar

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread, juz so happened to come across this thread and happened to know a bit here and there n would like to share...

There are basically 2 types of stains : intrinsic/internal(eg certain antibiotic causing ones) and extrinsic/external(eg food, coffee, smoking stains). Contrary to many advertisements, it is difficult to obtain flawless white teeth. Healthy human teeth have extremely subtle yellow, brown or gray tones. Pure white teeth are like purple hair -- they appear synthetic and distracting! Light natural tooth shades compliment everyone's facial features.

Here are eleven simple, low-cost tips to enhance your smile:

1. Use a straw to drink cola, tea, coffee, grape juice, red wine and other beverages that stain teeth. This method limits the amount of beverage that contacts the teeth.

2. Reduce drinking extremely hot or cold beverages. Hot coffee and ice tea are especially hazardous to your smile because they change the temperature of your teeth. This temperature cycling causes teeth to expand and contract allowing stains to penetrate the tooth enamel.

3. Avoid white clothing. Wear off-white or dark apparel instead. A plain white shirt or blouse makes even the whitest bleached smile appear yellow. That's why a darker-complexion person seems to have white beautiful smile.

4. Wear a bright shade of purple or pink-based lipstick. Your teeth will appear lighter. Avoid orange or brown lipstick shades.

5. Darken your hair color. Bright teeth contrast well against dark hair and skin. (Skin tanning is not advised due to the risk of developing premature wrinkles or skin cancer.)

6. Do not smoke or chew tobacco. Tobacco quickly stains teeth yellow and brown. It also causes the gums to pull away from teeth and expose tooth roots. The sugar used to flavor smokeless tobacco causes tooth decay. Tobacco also causes oral cancer.

7. Limit consumption of acidic foods. These foods open up the pores of the enamel, allowing stains to easily penetrate the tooth.

8. Brush your teeth or rinse them with water immediately after eating a snack or drinking a beverage. Avoid abrasive whitening toothpastes, since there is only limited evidence that tartar control, baking soda or peroxide toothpastes remove stains more effectively than regular fluoride toothpaste.

9. If possible, avoid tetracycline ( a kind of antibiotic) drugs while teeth are developing. They can stain teeth yellow. And excessive amounts of fluoride can cause unsightly brown pits in the enamel.

10. Have your teeth professionally cleaned and polished every six months.

11. If you require dental work, discuss esthetic options with your dentist. Amalgam fillings, gold crowns and other dental restorations can also stain teeth. A composite (tooth colored) filling may be a viable alternative to an amalgam (silver) filling in certain situations.

"A smile creates happiness in the home, fosters good will in business and is the countersign of friendship. It brings rest to the weary, cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad and is nature's best antidote for trouble. Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed, or stolen, for it is something that is of no value to anyone until it is given away. Some people are too tired to give you a smile. Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give."
--Anonymous.

jan

Hi whiteflora,
I m oso interest crowning to my teeth. Coz u have mentioned Q & M in Bt Batok which is very near to me house. May I know how much Q & M charged for 1 unit of crowning? what abt polishing & follow up checkuop. I got a very tight buget. Thanks.

whitefloral

Hi Jan

can't remember the cost, did it in Jan. It was not cheap for sure. u can call the clinic to check. So far I m pleased with the result, comfortable, nicer smile, easy to maintain, fit well. I did 2 crowns. all the best to you!

N

neonstar

Hi Jan

the cost of crowning depends on wat type of material u wanna use. Ave priz 3-5 hundred bucks. hope this helps.

jan

Thank whitefloral!
Anyone visit NTUC (LOT 1) in choa chu kang B4? any some feedback from anyone?

fruit3

hi all,

I've finally completed a part of my project and FINALLY buck up enough courage to visit the dentist.

I feel proud of myself now!!!
happy.gif

Happy brushing!

chelle

hey if anyone still interested in bleaching i know of this place in the east that's only $900..
happy.gif
Do contact me if you're interested!

touraco

hi
a few of my teeth are cracked and out of shape.i saw on the news tat dentists can apply some cream and that will sort of "grow" the teeth.

anyone heard of that or any dentists who do that?

shortcakebubble

touraco

The "tooth growing" is still in the research stage and it is not by applying a cream.. It is growing it near the eye area. Don't think it is available to the general public yet
happy.gif
It is done at SNEC. The dentist involved on the research is Dr Andrew Tay, an oral surgeon.

FYI