Cost of Drawing Up a Will


New Member
Hi everybody,

Does anyone has experience or know how to engage a lawyer to draw up a will? Please kindly share the procedure with me?

I would like to know the cost of engaging a lawyer and drawing up a will for my children to inherit the sales of my housing properties.

Thank you.


New Member

I ever went with my grandma for drawing up a will. Charges is at $300 but my grandma assests are very simple just house and bank accounts.

If you have a lot of properties and different percentage to children then the charges will be higher.


New Member
hmmm ... i was under the impression that even if the will was not written and witnessed by a lawyer, as long as it is stated clearly on the distribution of assets, all you need is a witness above 21 years old and your own signature.


New Member
Very cheap, $500-1000. You need an executor for your will &amp; guardian if your kids are <18 or <21 (can't remember). Pretty simple. I think there's a cost each time when there's changes (new properties, change of % )


New Member
I see... and if the law firl and lawyer who processed your will is no longer practising, is the will still valid?

Thanks for answering cos I'm a little clueless at going about it.


New Member
The official will is kept by you. In the further, if the person deceased, the benefiter can just bring that official will to the same law firm or another law firm to submit to court for court order to inherit the assets.
You don't need the same old lawyer to be around.




New Member
Thanks everyone!

So I need to register with the Wills Registry and once its done, it stays valid even if the law firm has closed down yeah?


The Wills Registry is just like a table of contents that points to where the will is being kept.. The wills Registry do not keep wills.

If the law firm closes down, then u need to take the will back, and store it somewhere else.


New Member
Hi all,

I heard from my colleagues that for joint properties with spouse, the will that is drawn stating that the properties should be given to the children is still not valid until both husband and wife are no longer alive anymore. If one party is alive, the properties will be given to the him/her...

Is that true...? If so, how to ensure that properties will get to the hands of the children even if one party is not around anymore?

Can anyone help?


The info is incorrect.

Properties are owned as either "Joint Tenancy" or "Tenancy in Common". Default is "Joint Tenancy", meaning if 1 party dies, the surviving party gets everything. "Tenancy in Common" means there is stated % share. It does not automatically pass over to the surviving party, and the deceased Will will dictate what to do with the share of the property.

How to pass to kids is tricky, especially if kids are not legal age to be owner. Firstly, the ownership of the property need to change to "Tenancy in Common", then the will can dictate who gets it. Then have to find a trustee who will be willing to hold in trust the property until the kids become legal age.
Also, the will also have to state who shall have the legal guardianship of the kids. If this is not stated, automatically, it will go to the surviving parent. This gets complicated if there is a divorce.


New Member
Just some things to note

HDB Flats / Private Property –

Depends on the ownership – Sole Name / Joint Tenancy (based on survivorship) / Tenancy in Common (based on percentage agreed – may not be so good for business owners who are personal guarantors for bank loans)

For HDB flats - Tenancy in Common might be tricky. You can’t own 2 HDB flats in Singapore.

E.g. Husband 50%, Wife 50%. Husband passes away and his 50% forms part of his estate for distribution. If he has children, estate distribution becomes Wife 50%, children 50%. (Intestate Succession Act, if without a Will)

Since the house is part of that estate, the children has to sell back their share to their mother if they are already HDB owners themselves. If the children are minors, then have to apply to hold in trust (subject to approval from HDB)

CPF – Goes to nominated person(s) but not via CPF, but cash or bank transfer. Processing time: about 5 weeks. Bypasses the Will. (Nominations are revoked by marriage)

But if the nominees are minors below 21, the funds will be transferred to Public Trustee which you have to pay a fee annually.

Insurance – nominated beneficiaries… bypasses the Will as well. Fuss free way to pass on your inheritance. However one thing to note is if your policy is bought before Sept 2009 and your named beneficiary is your e.g. Ex-spouse, you cannot change the beneficiary without his/her consent (Section 73 trust)

A good will should also encompass a Total Disaster Clause.

Writing your own will is possible but risky… any mistakes made will render it useless and revert your estate distribution back to following the state law of the country.

Joint Accounts also bypasses Wills but case to note is this: if your joint account is with e.g. Child A and you pass on without a Will… Child B and C etc can contest in court that the Joint Account is held in Trust, and not for Child A to inherit.

Those with young kids – writing a Will allows you to name up to 2 guardians in the event that both parents pass on together.

Guardians will be the appointed Trustees for finances and welfare. If parents pass on without appointing guardians, your children (below 21) will be placed in foster homes – strangers, until the court rules kick in, which can take months). And the problem is the court will just appoint any family member whom they think is the best. But if you are still alive, you know for sure you will NEVER place your child in their care.

Anyone in the midst of divorce should do a Will fast… Divorce takes time to finalise (months/years). If anything were to happen before that, your estate will still be distributed to your current wife aka ex-honey.

Best advice to all is find a proper Will consultant that does financial planning too.