Cooking Recipes as promised

carol

forgetmenot,
Yes the Lee Kum Kee's shrimp paste is nice!!!
happy.gif

soko

Hi,

this sounds silly, but how do i know whether the oil is hot enough for deep frying? Can i keep the leftover oil for future uses?

dolphin

Hi soko,

I think if you see tiny bubbles in the oil, that means it's hot enough already. If the oil is not very dirty (not very black), it can be reused. Ever saw my mother do that before. But whether good or not, I'm not sure. Anyway, I don't do that.

carol

Hi soko,
If you insert a chopstick into the middle of the pot of oil, you should see tiny buddles gathering around it, that means it's hot enough.

Usually if the oil is not very dirty, you could keep it for further uses.

strain the oil over a strainer to remove the impurites.

happy.gif

L

luckybird

Hi Carol,

Last night i tried your Nian Gao recipe, but totally failed. No choice will buy it on my way home today...
happy.gif

Wish all gals a <FONT COLOR="ff0000">Happy Chinese New Year!</FONT>

carol

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ff0000">Chinese New Year Wishes</FONT></CENTER>

<CENTER>
16778.gif
</CENTER>

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ff0000">Wishing All A
Happy &amp; Prosperous Chinese New Year!</FONT>
</CENTER>

16779.gif

16780.gif

kelly

I need to prepare Cheng Tng dessert for my hubby's family but I don't know how to.
I couldn't find recipe on Cheng Tng
Anybody can help me?

kelly

Dear Carol,

Valentine's Day is coming and I want to prepare great breakfast &amp; dinner for my hubby. Could you mind giving me some foolproof recipes? I went through the archives and would love to have recipes on your romantic dinner for two.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks!

kelly

I cooked for my hubby's family few days' ago. Hubby's bro complained so much that I feel so upset. The fried Ngo Hiang turned out to be so black and looked so much like minced pork. Anybody help me, how to fry Ngo Hiang? I hardly deep fry, I suspect I didn't use enough oil and fire is too big.

mousie

Hi Kelly,

When you make the ngo hiang, did you steam it first? Usually, ngo hiang are steamed first, so that all the ingredients inside is cooked already. Then when it is cooled down, you can fry it with a little oil and low fire. (shallow frying, not deep fried). Once the beancurd skin is brown, you can take it out, cos the ingredients inside are already cooked.

My mum usually make in bulk over CNY, steam it and wrap each one indiviudally in shrink wrap. Then we take a few out to fry each time.

Hope this helps.

mousie

piper

hi carol,

i have some blanched almonds left...i want to toast &amp; crush it for some my salad....but i dunno what temparature to set &amp; for how long..please advise...thanks!
happy.gif

kelly

Hi Mousie,

Thanks for telling me! I should have steam it first! I defrost n fry it immediately, that's why !

dolphin

Hi My Melodys,

My fried rice is very simple to cook. I won't say it's very very nice, but so far no complaints from my family. If you are interested, I can tell you what to do.

joelle

Hi, all

Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for 2 dishes:

a) light fluffy cheesecake that doesn't require baking

b) the kind of delicious braised sliced mushrooms that you normally get when you eat "bak chor" mee?

A

adey

hi carol,

I intend to cook a romantic dinner for my husband for this coming Vday too....hope you dun mind to share me some receipe for a simple and fast dinner...prefably western.

my email add is [email protected]
Thank for sharing

adey

A

adey

Hi Carol,

i forget ...can i have the receipes for ceral prawns and srimp paste chicken too?

email add : refer to my previous mail.

Thank you for sharing

adey

nyleda

Hi Everyone,

By the way, anybody know how to make black pepper sauce ?

i try using those custom made like lee jin ji.....but very salty.......

i was thinking of cooking black pepper steak for my husband

nyleda

H

happy169185

Cereal Prawn Recipe

Cereal Prawns

Ingredient

600g prawns

1/2 pieces of butter

Minced garlic (about 2-3 cloves)

200 g of cereal (Nestle Cereal , not cornflakes)

1 chilli padi chopped

3-4 Curry leaves optional

1 tsp of sugar

Seasoning

1 tsp of salt

1/2 tsp of sugar

1 tsp of sesame oil

a little of pepper

Method

Clean prawns, leave the shell on. Wipe dry and season in mixture of salt, pepper, a little sesame oil and a little sugar

Deep fry the prawn till 1/2 done , leave aside.

In a wok, melt the butter and add in garlic , chilli padi and curry leave. Fry till there is an aroma. Pout in the cereal and fry for a while. Add in sugar. Then mix in the prawn and fried for about 1-2 mins. It is ready for serving.

B

beeque

Is there a possibility of collating all recipes posted here and everyone can have access?? Or is it just my wishing thinking.....

moonflower

Hihi..any recipes for dessert? Like honeydew sago? I know it's not easy doing the sago right? You need to keep stirring it and cook it for a long time then rinse with tap water etc....i've seen my mum doing it..
Anyone can help?

hippie

hi all,
i got a dessert very simple &amp; delicious, its a vietnamese dessert &amp; the recipe i got frm Her World long time back....here it is:

Che Choui (Banana in coconut milk)

2 tbsp sesame seeds
4 bananas
500ml coconut milk
4 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt

Method:
1. Toast sesame seeds in dry pan over medium heat until golden, 4-5 mins.
2. Peel bananas &amp; slice into quarters
3. Combine bananas, coconut milk, sugar, salt in a saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat &amp; simmer until bananas are soft. (be careful not to do the bananas until too soft)
4. Sprinkle sesame seeds &amp; serve hot.
5. For a more substantial dessert, soak sago pearls in cold water for 15 mins, then add to pot in step 3.

kelly

Hi Hippie,

Your recipe on Che Choui sounds interesting. I am going to try it out. I believe we either can use black or white seseame seeds rite?

moonflower

Hi hippie, lurve your recipe but coconut milk not very healthy ya? Any suggestions for substitute or not? hmmm..but reckon it wont taste as good?

hippie

hi kelly, i dunno can use black or not....i use white ones leh....and i heard white toasted ones are more fragrant too....

hi moonflower,
actually, a lot of food oso use coconut...eg. nasi lemak &amp; curry....
for me, i only cook tis once in a while so its no prob for me....anyway jus be sure try not to leave it overnite, cos it might nt be gd 4 the stomach....

dolphin

Hi My Melodys,

this is my own version of fried rice, thus no detailed measurement.

Ingredients:
rice
1 packet (250g) mixed vege beans (corn, peas, carrot)
1 can of luncheon meat (cut in dices)
fish cake (cut in dices)
eggs
dark soya sauce
light soya sauce (optional)
salt
cooking oil

Methods
1) Cook the rice in rice cooker
2) When rice is cooked, pour the mixed vege beans into the rice cooker, mix into rice
3) Pour dark soya sauce into rice (still in rice cooker) and mix till the colour is evenly distributed (I did this step here bcos it is much easier to handle in the rice cooker than doing it in the wok)
4) Heat wok with cooking oil and stir-fry luncheon meat, followed by fish cake.
5) With the luncheon meat and fish cake in the wok, transfer rice from rice cooker to wok (I didn't use any oil here)
6) Add salt and light soya sauce to taste.
7) Lastly beat in the egg to the rice and stir fry till fragrant.

O

ob-rider

hi, anyone into indian cooking? with all the spices? want to master indian cooking leh,.....

O

ob-rider

hi gals, i was just going thru the older postings,.... my my,... u gals really have lots of recipes up your sleeves,.... its like "whatever u want, i have it".... hey anyone thot of compiling the recipes and indexing into the different categories like deserts, starters, seafood, vege, ...... i'd like to do that but alamak, have to go thru all the archives,.... anyone has the recipes on hand? if yes, can pass to me, or email me, and i'd start work immediately,.... me eng ga siao! :)

stars

Hi all

Can I just check with you something? Pardon me if this question has been asked. If we cooked quite often, the kitchen will be oily right? Now I headache. Frying very oily.How ah?
Thank u
stars

dolphin

Hi stars,

If you have a kitchen door, always close it when frying oily things. And also remember to keep yr clothes from the bamboo poles (inside the kitchen) before cooking.

If you've time, try to wipe the cabinets (exterior) once every week.

Hi Ob-rider,
I don't have all the recipes posted in this thread. I've gone through the past archives and only save those recipes that I like.

O

ob-rider

wa, so many archives,.... u went thru them? *kow tow* me eng but lazy :p

how did u do it, u actually click on every archive and went thru from top to bottom, plus do copy and paste into word doc?

this is very tedious leh,.... i need more motivation to start on something as major as that :p

dolphin

Hi Ob-rider,

I clicked on every archive, copy the whole chunk to MS word. Whenever I'm free in the office, I will scan through and copy the recipe I wanted.

Ya, it's tedious in the beginning. After I finished scanning thru all the archives, I make sure I visit this thread not longer than 3 days late so as not to miss out any recipe. If not, I have to visit the archive section liao.

O

ob-rider

oic.... that makes sense. okie dokie. will update all of u if i have any significant achievements on this... :) hopefully soon

faith

Hi All,
I read thru the archive &amp; found that Carol is the one who have many recipes on hand, she even helps to answer the cooking cum baking related questions.

Perhaps, could try to look thru the older archives.

hippie

hi jus to share,
when i deep-fry things, i usually put newspapers on the floor cos the oil will splatter, tis to prevent the floor being less oily....of cos i oso switch on the "xi you yan qi"
Alternatively, can purchase a deep-fryer specifically for deep-fryin purposes...
and i will mop the floor everytime after i finished cookin...

My version of fried rice as follows:

diced hotdog (or luncheon meat or ham or can use minced pork/beef)
mixed veges (peas, carrots &amp; corns)
oyster sauce
light soy sauce
eggs
onions, sliced
minced garlic
rice (preferably overnite rice)

Method:
1. Fry egg 1st &amp; when egg is cooked, shred or cut into pieces. Leave aside.
2. Put more oil &amp; add in onions &amp; garlic. Fry until fragrant.
3. Next, add in the hotdog (or whatever stuff u prefer). Fry until cooked.
4. Add in the mixed veges. Stirfry for abt 1-2mins.
5. Add the rice &amp; shredded egg. Mix all together. Add in the oyster sauce &amp; light soy sauce to taste.

P

pk

hi my sister gave me this very easy to make chawamushi recipe. tried it.. quite nice

Chawan Mushi

Ingredients
4 eggs
2 cups dashi or chicken stock
2/3 tsp salt
1 tsp soya sauce
2/3 tsp mirin or &frac14; tsp sugar

Garnishes
6-8 thin, bite size pieces of chicken breast sprinkled with drops of
soya sauce
6-8 shrimps, shelled and de-veined, sprinkled with soya sauce
12-14 snow peas
3-4 shitake mushrooms, softened and cooked in dashi with soya sauce and
mirin

How to
1. Add seasonings to dashi, heat until dissolved.
2. Break eggs into large bowl, stir eggs, trying to cut the whites.
3. Pour the warm dashi into the eggs and mix, strain through a
sieve.
4. Line up 6-8 bowls or cups. Distribute the garnishes. Pour in the
egg soup and cover each bowl with aluminum foil.
5. In a wide-mouthed pot, big enough to hold all the bowls, boil
about 1-2 inches water (less than 1/3 the height of the bowls to be
steamed)
6. When the water boils place the bowls in; lower the heat to low or
medium low. Cover the pot and steam for 6-8 minutes until set.
7. When the custard is set, insert a bamboo skewers and if it comes
out clean and the liquid in the hole is clear, it is done.
8. Place each bowl on a saucer, cover with lid and serve with spoon.

dolphin

Hi Carol &amp; gals

Just to share, I've attempted pizza yesterday using Carol's recipe. Surprisely (bcos it's the 1st time I tried) it turned out to be very good. For the dough, I followed the recipe exactly. But for the sauce and toppings, I did not follow what is indicated in the recipe.