Colour for kitchen cabinets

eternity

Hi gals,
my kitchen wall & floor tiles are peachy pink in colour done by HDB. I dun noe what colour to choose for my kitchen cabinet. White, though is nice but its getting a bit common and i'm afraid that it will turn yellowish as time goes by. So advise is needed for the colour of my kitchen cabinets and i'm open to all suggestions for the colour.

Actually i am comtemplating to use pink (fushia or baby pink) to be different but i am worried about the outcome cos its really uncommon.

joanne

hi
my kitchen is the same colour as urs i believe... bit peachy... at first i was thinking of using pink.. but my designer stopped me... and told me it will be too cosy a place... pink should be use in master bedroom.. so i dropped the idea.. and decided on orange... which match very well with my tiles...

u can consider that.. or even orange tone brown.... quite a good choice as well... or

regd
joanne

eternity

Hi Joanne,

what type of orange are u refering to? light or dark orange? The whole of your cabinets are orange in colour or u mix with some other colours like white?

orchid

I use white cabinets laminates, with wood grained counter top. At first i was very apprehensive with white cabinet but realised that since its laminates it would be easy to maintain & they don't stain that much.

eternity

Hi Orchid,
so how's the whole effect? i am a very lazy person, so i'm worried abt using white. Probably i will use white for the top cabinet and use another colour for the btm cabinets.

A

an

Yellow & White Cabinets
happy.gif

Solid top is Grainy white
happy.gif

Lovely too...as those who have seen it...

Colour combination is lively, as described...

K

k

Are you guys worried about stains on the white solid top? I just told my contractor to install a white solid top and I am now having second thoughts. I will be getting a moulded sink as well in the same colour. I am particularly worried about stains in the sink. Do you all have any experience to share?

joanne

hi eternity
sorry for not answering the previous question early.
my cabinet is make up of white and orange... the orange is of yellow based....as for the solid surface , mine is yellow to complement... as for white,, but designer do not recommend as he says white will change colour over time... will turn abit yellowish...
as for grainy white , only if u are careful... cos stains could be really obvious with scratches around...
that;s about all,,,
so have u decided?

regd
joanne

eternity

Hi joanne,
thanks for replying. Still hv not decide on the colour. Really very very headache. Was thinking of using grey or silver for the bottom and white for the top, but dun noe whether it goes with the colour of my tiles or not.
actually thinking of using those not so conventional colours but is worried that the end product will look very "neh-neh" (indian style). urrgg!!!! my head is bursting.

Do u mind telling me the colour code of ur laminate and which supplier is it from? btw, wat is grainy white? is it a bit of beighy white?

joanne

hi eternity...
i got to check out the brand... cos i cannot see why from the dample they give me..
the grainy white.. refer to the solid surface colour... i think u can ask ur contractor or designer to recommend... white can be nice... but tough to maintain ...,as for our kind of wall tiles... i think should not be a problem...
will try to get back to u in regd to that brand and coilour code

regd
joanne

naddy

Hi everybody!

The top half of my wall tiles is a creamish/whitish colour and the bottom half is bluish-gray. The floor tile is grey.

What should the colour of the kitchen cabinet be?

We were thinking of off-white and grey but we are afraid of there being too much grey in the kitchen. Are there any other colours that will go with the wall and floor tiles?

aloha

Hi Naddy!

Ha ha I think my kitchen walls are also like that! Hubby and I thinking of using cement and bricks and tile the whole structure in slate tiles. Have you been to the Chalet in Loyang Aloha? Got our inspiration from there.

No solid top for us, too common and have to worry about scratches, change in colours, quality, stains, termites, burnts etc etc.

I think our designer will have a fit! Get your designer to crack for ideas, you are paying for their ideas rite?

naddy

Hi Aloha!

I don't have a designer. That's the problem. I just have a contractor. I can't change the floor and wall tiles. Oh, and there's the grey sink and stove support. They are all there to stay.

I just gotta think of suitable colours for the kitchen cabinet. Otherwise, it'll be off-white/grey.

Will there be too much grey? Will my kitchen look too depressing? What do you think?

wendy26

Hi Hi

My kitchen cabinets are a mixture of blue & yellow as my HB & me likes things that are colourful!!!

naddy

So, what colours do you think will contrast nicely with my tiles? I wanna play safe so I'd rather get colours that are neutral. I don't dare go for fire engine red or the like. And I'm not too good with colours also. I failed my Art since Sec 1. Haha! So, I need all the help I can get. Any suggestions?

och

hi naddy,

i personally dun like white in the kitchen, cos i find it difficult to maintain.

what abt pale blue? pale blue goes well with grey n to break the monotony, u can add frosted glass doors. light lilac colours (more purplish) colours can also replace pale blue, but it's a bit more suspect.
happy.gif
my mum had a pale blue cabinets in a grey-tile kitchen n i thot the cabinets brightened up the kitchen.

if u like warmer colours, maple, birch or cream laminate colours will also match, cos ur wall tiles r those colours. but if u r getting wood tone, e.g. maple n birch, try not to mix with laminate colours (e.g. grey). wood colours can stand on their own.

naddy

Pale blue seems all right. I will definitely consider this.

I may also consider cream-coloured cabinet, now that you mentioned it.

Thanks och!

mango

My kitchen is White with Veneer.... it looks great, spacious as it is half hang. My solid surface top is white too. but for those who does not want to clean it often, who does not want to well maintain their kitchen, then white is not an option. those who want to take a look at my kitchen picture, i can email to u.

Also the color of the kitchen cabinet very much depends on the color of the kitchen floor - just to match it.

naddy

Hi Mango!

I wanna take a look at your kitchen. My email is [email protected]

Anyway, I wonder if you worry that your white cupboards will turn yellow with time. Because that's what's happening to my mom's kitchen cabinets.

naomi

Hi all,

should look at dark colors like brown to have some color contrast in the kitchen rather than being dull. I did mine in wood color

naddy

Hi Irene/Mango!

Thanks for the photos! I've already got the base for the kitchen cabinet so I will not be doing half-hang ones like yours.

However, after looking at your kitchen cabinets, I think I'll go for whitish/creamish colours for my kitchen cabinet. I won't go for grey cos I'm afraid of it looking too dull.

It's also great to know that there are indeed real life examples of white kitchen cabinets not turning yellow.

Thanks much!

may2003

oh, my kitchen cabinet is white too and i chose the Everest Corian top to go with it.

It didnt occur to me that it will turn yellow over time just wanted white as it is easy to match. To make it look less dull, i had brown mosiac tiles between the cabinets and it looks good.

I can email u picture too if you r interest. Just advise me yr email.

cakey

Hello Mango and May,
Me too would like to look at your photos
happy.gif

[email protected]
Was cracking my head for kitchen colour...
especially floor tiles.. seems like most pple uses white or light grey.. any other color that's suitable for kitchen?

ringo

Hi! Mango,

My kitchen cabinet is white in colour. I used Everest corian solid top, just like May2003. My tiles are homogeneous slate black color.

naddy

Hi May 2003!

Me too! I wanna see pictures! My email addy is [email protected].

(Anyone else posting pics, please send me a pic too!)

Ringo, your tiles are black? What tiles are those? Floor tiles? Do you have a picture? I'm afraid of my kitchen turning too dark (what with my grey floor tiles) so I wanna see what black floor tiles look like in a kitchen.

Thanks much!

ringo

Hi! Naddy,

I am sorry...I dun have a pic to show you now. I can recharge my digital camera and show it to you later. Just give me your email address. BTW, what is the color of your kitchen cabinet? Mine is white so my black floor tiles tend to look outstanding especially under white ceiling light.

Chiao...Ringo

naddy

Hi Ringo,

My email addy is above. :)

Anyway, what does your kitchen look like when you don't switch the lights on? Do you find that it's too dark?

My floor tiles are grey. My kitchen cabinets have not been fixed yet. If we can't decide on the colour, we'll stick to the original plan: mostly creamy/whitish colour, interspersed with a bit of grey. The worktop will be a very dark grey, almost black.

Our kitchen and sink support is grey homogeneous tiles and it's fixed oredi.

I have about 2 weeks or so to decide on the colour. So, I really need lotsa ideas now.