CHINESE SOUP RECIPES

nicatan

Hi,

Would like for anyone to share with me the above as im starting to learn how to cook soups for my hb and mysef... thks...

chanelion

Hi,

Encl a simple receipe.

Chicken, Dried Scallop and Peanut Soup
Serving: 2 persons

Ingredients:
500g chicken
2 tbsp kei chi
5 dried scallops
½ cup groundnuts, washed and drained
1 tbsp white peppercorns
1 litre hot water

Seasoning:
½ tbsp salt
Method
Skin and chop chicken into large chunky pieces. Combine all ingredients together and double-boil for 1½–2 hours. Just before serving, add seasoning to taste.

note: Chicken can be replaced with lean pork or pig’s stomach

Enjoy :p

pinkbunny

hi chanel,

cool recipe! sounds simple enough
happy.gif
what's kei chi though? how to double boil ah? sorry, suaku keke!

syt, how about bak kut teh? i have one that's really great. when i can find it, will post. cheers!

chanelion

Hi Pink Bunny,
Kei Chi (in Cantonese) is gooseberries.
U can purchase this in Chinese medical hall or supermarket. Is red in colour. the berries is Very small in size.

Happy cooking
happy.gif

pinkbunny

hehe i never heard of gooseberry before! so wolfberry = gou qi zi (in chinese) right?

and sorry, double boil just means one pot within another pot is it?

chanelion

Hakida & Pinkbunny,
Sorie for the wrong info.
You gals are right.

Pinkbunny,
Infact my mum told me I shouldn't put double-boil.
Normal boil will do. Just iqnore the double-boiling thingy.

P/s: sorie for the late reply. I coudn't remember the link to this topic.

Cheers

pinkbunny

haha chanel, forgetting the link happens to me alot!!! sometimes i join a thread and forget hehe

oh ok. normal boil
happy.gif
thanks!

hippie

Lotus root soup (lian ou)

U need:
pork ribs
lotus roots peeled & thinly sliced
dried red dates (to make the soup sweeter)

Method:
1. Scald the pork ribs with boiling water to get rid of excess scum. (In fact, all pork ribs must be scalded with boiling water b4 cooking in soup)
2. Put the pork ribs, red dates & lotus roots in a pot of water.
3. Put on low fire & boil for about 3-4 hrs. Season with salt & a little light soy sauce to taste.

Note: I dun give measurements in recipes cos I normally estimate the quantity myself.

hippie

ABC soup

U need:

chicken thighs with bones (remove skin & fats)
OR alternatively can use chicken drumsticks (those big ones)
celery }
carrots } Cut into chunks
potatoes }
onions (quartered)

Method:
Put everything into a pot of water. Boil on low fire for about 3-4 hours. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

stepford

hippie, I also add wolfberries which are reputedly good for the eyes, a small piece of ginger to reduce flatulence.

hippie

well stepford, actually its up 2 individual loh. Sometimes I add it in, sometimes I don't...
happy.gif

Another simple recipe - Creamy corn soup (I cook this when I'm in an ultra lazy mood)

U need:
1 can creamy corn
1 can chicken stock
crabmeat (cut into thin shreds or chunks)

Method:
1. Empty the can of creamy corn & chicken stock into an empty pot.
2. As most chicken stock is concentrated, fill up the empty can with more water & pour it into the pot.
3. Bring it to a boil & add the shredded crabmeat in. Sprinkle with pepper & serve.

Alternatively, u can add in slices of button mushrooms or shredded chicken pieces. Its a very flexible soup..
happy.gif

skylar

Something to share.

1 cup winter melon (1/2 pound)
Water to boil winter melon
2 cups chicken broth
4 Chinese dried black mushrooms
2 - 3 slices ginger
1/4 cup cooked ham, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 green onion, green part only, washed and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces

PREPARATION:

Wash the winter melon, remove the green skin, seeds, and the pulp. Cut into 2-inch pieces.
Place the winter melon in a pot of water, bring to a boil, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until the winter melon is tender.
Add the chicken broth, mushrooms, ginger and cooked ham.Add seasonings as desired. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Add green onion for garnish. Serve hot.

nicatan

hi gals,

hve been busy these few days didnt trace this thread... thks for all yr help... pls keep the recipes comin... plan to cook a different soup a wk...

hi skylar,
how to diferentiate green onion from purple one? is the ham from can? thks..

skylar

Syt,

u choose those smaller onions that looks more greenish in color compared to those large onions that looks more purple.

As for the ham,also can lah but hor use those can one.. coz they are more oily & tend to break up into loose bits. go to Cold Storage to buy those ham meant for b'f to eat with bread kind.

kpo

for those who love to make soups...worthwhile to invest in a pressure cooker. i used to cook my soups for 2-3hours...now, with the pressure cooker...my cooking time has shorten quite abit.

here's a really simple recipe:

Corn Soup w Spare Ribs

1-2 corn (cut into smaller pcs)
5-6 pcs of spareribs (soup bones)
1-2 carrots (cut into smaller pcs)

Put everything into pot and boil. For normal cooking pot, boil for 1-2hrs. If you are using pressure cooker, probably 1/2hr will do.

Soup is fragrant and sweetish 'cos of the corn/carrots. Really easy to make!

aquarius_888

hi kpo...thanks for the recipe...my hubby also make this soup quite often but apart from carrot and corn, we also add in gan bei and potato...always love the soup he cook.
happy.gif
I can just take that soup with rice as a meal.
happy.gif

kpo

you are welcome aquarius! ya, dried scallop & potatoes are great w the soup too.

ok, here's another one that's quite simple too:

Toufu and minced pork soup
Ingredients
- 3-4 bowls of soup stock (if you haven't got homemake stock, can use canned stock or stock cubes. mix with water if canned stock is too salty)
- 1-2 slabs of toufu (cut into cubes. not too small in case it disintegrates to even smaller bits)
- 300-400g minced pork (add some soy sauce/pepper/wine to season)
- 2-3stalks of spring onion (chopped)
- 2-3stalks of chinese parsley (chopped)
- some dried scallops if available (washed and soaked) or carrots
- salt(according to taste)

*can vary all quantity of ingredients according to personal taste and serving size

Method
- boil soup stock & dried scallops (or carrots)
- spoon minced pork into little balls and drop into boiling soup (don't overcook)
- add toufu (don't stir too hard 'cos tofu might disintegrate)
- when almost cooked, add chopped spring onions & parsley and boil for very short while
- taste and add salt/sesame oil/fried shallots if necessary and we're done!

stepford

Salted Duck Soup
Ingredients :
Half a duck or an entire duck depending on serving size desired
Salted vegetable (giam cai)
2 preserved plums (bottled ones, not the ones preggie ladies suck on)
1 slice of ginger (to reduce flatulence)
Some wolfberries
Tofu (optional)

Put everything in to boil. Remember to scoop out the oil before serving.

This soup is especially good to drink on hot days when the body is rather heaty.

stepford

Chicken & Burdock Root Soup
Ingredients:
1 Burdock root or aka Shan Yao
Half a chicken or an entire chicken depending on serving size desired
1 slice of ginger (to reduce flatulence)
Some wolfberries
Some red dates

Put everything to boil. Remember to scoop out the oil before serving.

This soup is especially good when you or your family members are suffering from fatigue. It's supposed to 'ti shen' and improve blood circulation.

kpo

hi stepford, thanks for the soup recipes. can i check, for the salted duck soup...how much salted vegetable to put hah? do you soak the salted veg first before cooking? 'cos some of the salted veg very salty leh

kpo

ok..thought of another one while i was cooking earlier..

Yong Tow Foo soup - (i do this when i'm too lazy to cook anything else! so just eat this with rice)

- soya beans + pork ribs + pinch of salt (boil till stock is tasty)
- add yong tow foo (cook thoroughly)
- add some green vegetables (xiao bai cai/caixin)
- if you like, can stir in an egg

pinkbunny

stepford, thanks for the salted duck one. it's so cool! been searching high and low for the recipe! will try this weekend :D btw: no need for salted veggie (giam chye) at all?

pinkbunny

ok i know we're on the soup topic here but does anyone know how to cook the steamed egg thingie that we can often buy at mixed rice stalls. i know how to make the steamed meat but the egg... i've never succeeded... help?

aquarius_888

Pink bunny...it's important to get the right water and egg consistency...till now...I have not really succeeded in making my ideal one. kekeke

demio

Hi,

just to share... for me when i cook the salted vege duck i brown the duck first with the ginger, then i will add the water and remove the ginger after a while. This is so that the ginger will get rid of the smell of the duck but won't make the soup taste of ginger (if you dun like the taste, like me...). I will also add garlic n tomatoes to the soup on top of stepford's recipe.

Salted vege can buy from supermarkets. It's more convenient that way cos i use one packet for one duck... just nice.

steam egg... same as chawamushi lor.. water n egg.. more water = softer.. i mix water with chicken stock tho

pinkbunny

sorry stepford, i missed out seeing that you included giam chye in your recipe also
happy.gif

aquarius - i don't even know if i should just use egg white or include the yolk haha

demio - how to brown the duck? you mean just cut the ginger and then rub it on the duck? sorry, blur! hehe. btw you mind sharing the recipe of the steam egg? it seems at least 2 blur people here who really want to know! thanks :D

stepford

Hi KPO, yes, I do soak the salted veg first. How much to put is up to the serving size? For half a duck, I usually put in about two - three big leaves. Hope you can understand this.

Hi Demio, cool! I'm going to try putting in tomatoes next. But may I ask how do you exactly brown the duck with ginger? I tried using the salted veg that's readily packed and sold in supermarkets but somehow the taste did not come out right so always get from wet markets. May I know which brand and from supermarket?

Hi PB, I make chawanmushi with the proportion of egg to water (chicken stock) is 1:2.

pinkbunny

hi stepford: sorry ah but take it as 'how to make steam egg for dummies/bunnies' ok? cos i really have no idea how... is it just 1:2, and steam normally? keke. i really love this dish leh. i will always order it from the mixed rice stall.

oh ya, tomatoes in salted duck soup is great!! and i prefer salted veg from market too.

stepford

Morning PB, yeah, I always use 1:2 and just steam normally. I remember watching on TV on how to make the steamed milk dessert, the one that is sold in HKG. Yet to try but roughly the recipe is like this. Mix egg white with milk (not sure full cream or low fat because show was in Chinese and I don't really understand what she was saying!) and steam. Proportion is egg white:milk is 1:2 for one bowl. It's supposedly very good for complexion.

pinkbunny

haha stepford, your tng nang also half past six? mine too!
kao_laugh.gif

aquarius, si mi si san huang dan? sounds a bit scary leh....

aquarius_888

hi stepford...dun have the recipe...nevermind I go and find...it's also steamed eggs but with 3 types of yolk...century egg, salted egg, normal egg.

stepford

PB, I'm so baffled now. What's tng nang?

Aquarius, I tried that eggy dish before but so many eggs, very high in cholestrol so can only eat once in a blue blue moon.

pinkbunny

tng nang = hokkien for 'mandarin' la. the language, not the orange.

wah that egg thing really sounds scary man. speaking of egg, i know it's horrible but everytime go holiday, i sure attack the egg counter and order omelette and cheese one. wah.... slurp

levynn

pink bunny...
for me when cooking the steamed egg, i usually add in minced meat. juz beat up the eggs n then add in the minced meat. then add in a little oil n some water.

i always steam it when cooking rice at the same time... my grandma taught me. i'll put the eggs in when the rice is juzt beginning to boil wif the water... when u can still see that the rice grains n water. (eh, can understand?) anyway, when the rice is cooked, the eggs will b done. add in some light soy sauce, spring onions n fried shallots, n is ready to serve!
happy.gif

samara

this is a good thread, i need to learn how to make simple soup for myself.

i love desserts. for the HK egg dessert, if i can recall, it is to add some ginger juice and rock sugar to the mixture and steam till it is something like soya bean curd. and milk can be any type of milk, most of the time it is always full cream but i just use low fat hi cal. i think that the direct translation is steamed milk (custard).

stepford

Haha... now I get it! Hubs trying to teach me hokkien but so far, I only picked up the vulgar words - THE MOST IMPT!

You can try making your own omelette at home. Mushrooms, a sprinkling of green peppers, some chives, tomatoes and loads of cheese. Problem is omelette requires about 3 to 4 eggs to serve two, and uses alot of oil to fry.

samara

for my steamed eggs, i do it together with boiling rice, learned from grandma as well. i will add crab meat, or chinese sausages, spring onions sesame oil to it, very simple.

pinkbunny

wah all the steam eggs recipe coming out! thanks, ladies!!!

eh stepford, you want extra hokkien lessons, lao niang can give you for free
biggrin.gif

eh don't take away my holiday egg-spectations leh. i always look forward to egg counter. do at home different liao...

stepford

PB, so many egg-based recipes. You can try until you wave the white flag!

Same here, I eat more eggs away from home than at home. But got to control because my eczema will flare up if I eat too much eggs.

skylar

eczema cannot take eggs ah? I never knew that.

Btw are there any quick step dishes to stir up ah? like those meant for late nite makan maybe?