Cats Lovers??

curly

Any cats lovers out there? I need some advice.

Last week we picked up a stray kitten (abt 6 to 7 weeks old) near our apartment and decided to keep it. It's not in perfect condition but overall healthy.

I just wonder if cats can be disciplined like dogs.

lollipop

Hi Curly,
I picked up a stray kitten 4 years ago. I think I should be able to help you.

First of all, you need to send the kitten to the vet for a thorough check-up. You can request the vet to clean its eyes, nose and most importantly, ears. If the nails are long, have them clipped as well. The vet will then give the kitten a tablet for deworming purposes, and it will be given a vaccination jab. I can't remember how much the visit cost but I think it is around 100.

To train the kitten, you have to start when it is young. You would need a litter tray, litter (clumping sand), some liners, and a scoop.
Some advise given by friends is, try not to feed the kitten fish. Give them dry food like Whiskas, stay away from Friskies, they cause liver or kidney stones. Always provide a dish of tap water. NEVER give them milk. Their stomachs won't be able to take it, and they will vomit. Many pple think cats like milk, they do drink, but it is not good for them.

Once you have fed the kitten, bring it to the litter tray, let it smell the sand, and it will pee and poo in there. Cats are generally clean animals, they will cover their waste with sand.
Get the clumping sand, it is not messy. Try Snappy Wood Clumping Sand, it is 8kg, and costs around $13. Cats like their litter tray to be clean, so try to make it a point to clear their waste with the scoop as often as you deem fit.

When the kitten is bigger, get them a scratching post. This will be most helpful as you wouldn't want this cutie to damage your furniture.

Generally, they do not need alot of attention, but to build a beautiful relationship, spend as much time as you can with it, and play with it. Cats find it amusing to run after a crushed ball of paper. Oh! If you buy the 1.5kg Whiskas dry food now, it comes with a toy. My cat likes it very much! It's a tiny rod and at the end tied to a stuffed fish with red furry fins!

Hope the above helps. If you need more info, lemme know. I try my best to help.

curly

Hi lillipop

Thanks for your info.

We had already sent her to the vet and done the necessary things. She'll be having her first vanccination in 2 weeks' time. So far we have been feeding her canned food and biscuits.

I went to the pet shop last night to get the litter and was told the differences. In the end they recommended one which is in crystal form which absorbes the smell. It's quite expensive. $12.50 for a month's supply. I'll see how it goes. Might try your brand but gotta get hubby to come along.

We already bought her some tiny soft balls and I made a straw ball with a long tail which she loves. There's one thing which annoys me - she loves biting!! Will take a look at the websites after lunch. Thanks!!

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Curly,

I've also picked up a stray kitten 3 years ago. Generally, cats are very clean animals. They will visit their litter tray by themselves. When you visit the vet, remember to have the cat spayed.

You can also buy a bottle of cat deordoriser to spray on the litter.

Yes, cats do love to bite. I think it is their way of showing affection. If you notice, when the cats play, they bite each other too. You also have to be careful, sometimes, when they are too engrossed in playing with you, they get excited and may scratch you.

Another thing, cats can jump very high. My cat goes crazy when she sees a bird resting on the window ledge. It had jumped out our window grill onto the ledge 3 times! We stay on high floor! She nearly gave us heart attacks those 3 times. We had to grab it and pull it back.

To be on the safe side, you can just close the windows to allow only a small opening or close the doors of the rooms.

Now, my cat is quite plump and don't think it can squeeze through the grills anymore.
rofl.gif

But cats are very lovable. Once you have a cat, you'll start to view the strays differently. They are very cute, guess most cats like to chase crushed paper balls!

Regards,
Chin Leng.

lollipop

Hi Curly,

So it's a she huh? Mine's a he, a tabby, named Nanook. He's a big cat, 8kg!

Erm, crystal form, are they like, beads?? The packaging has two kittens? Is it called Litter Star or something? If so, I have tried that before. Useful, but expensive, and my cat covered his waste with such enthusiam he spilled these beads out.

Try not to feed her with wet food for the time being...I made a mistake with mine, now everynight have to feed her with wet food.
lame.gif

Suspects she's biting you out of attention, or she is in the "teething" stage... she will drop her milk teeth also.

so, thought of a name for her?

curly

Hi Chin Leng and lollipop

Actually I am very much a dog person. It's my hubby whose the real cat lover. He had 2 cats in the past and the last one he had it for 20 years! When we found her, it was me who urged him to bring it home. She's black and white with a small black patch near her mouth. She reminds him of his 2 cats. They were black and white as well (their names were Suzie and Sylvester). We named her Snowball after much argument and you can see the link there. I think she's a tabby too. She's probably the cutest thing I had ever seen.

Yes lollipop, is that brand. Oops, maybe I'll have to change brand after that. I'll see how it goes.

I suppose we have to be careful with the windows when she grows bigger. She has already learnt to jump onto our sofa. Soon she'll be jumping everywhere.

Been to the websites, they are really useful!

lollipop

Curly and Chin Leng,

Yes, cats are very active. Mine likes to go into cupboards and make himself at home. He likes to climb out of the window and sit on the ledge also! Everytime he does that, my heart jumped! So afraid he'd see some birds and he'd.... I stay on the 14th storey.

As for the litter, it is good, you know? It really removes ordour, cats will be cats, they like to "create" trouble just to get attention.

But cats bring you such joy! I look forward to going home everyday after a long day at work. They are therapeutic...... esp when they sense you are sad, they'll come by you, rub against your legs and purr...

E

eunicetan

halo all,

im a cat lover too but am not allowed to pick strays cos firstly, my parents dun like cats n secondly my father-in-law has asthma n mother-in-law doesnt like the idea of havin cats in the house. issit true tat cats will cause asthmatic attacks?

lollipop

Hi Eunice,
Cats shed their fur so easily, it may do harm to those who has asthma. As for causing asthma, I'm not sure.

My elder sis used to have asthma but miraculously, it went away when she was very young. My mum did warn her not to go too near to the cat, not to kiss him that sort of thing, in case her asthma does come back.

curly

It didn't seem that easy to train her to use the litter tray.... Already showed her where it is but she still pee-ed and poo-ed somewhere else....

just_me

you must bring her to the litter tray, put her in it totally, take hold of one of her front paws, and use it to scratch the litter. worked for my kitty

evon

Hi everyone...

Me also cat lover here... used to own a persian for abt 4 yrs till it left us some mths back... He's also a stray we adopted...

For info
Keep yr cats ears as clean as possible... try to clean at least once a week, especially after bath, do clean dry with cotton bub or absorb the moisture wif tissue...

Science diet is a good brand of dry food for cats, as told by doc... friskes & whiskers might cause bladder infection on long term...

Have fun with yr cats...

curly

Hi just me

We did that already or maybe we didnt try hard enough.... When she poo-ed outside the tray, I asked my hubby to scoop her poo and leave it in the tray, then we made her smell it hoping that she would do it in the tray the next time. But still this morning she poo-ed and pee-ed outside the tray. One good thing is at least she's always doing it in the toilet, however we still hope she'll get use to the litter tray.... I guess we have to put in more effort.

chinleng

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Curly,

Could the problem lies with the litter? Maybe because the litter is in crystal form and it did not look like sand or soil and so your kitten didn't realise that the litter was her toilet?

Regards,
Chin Leng.

lollipop

Curly,
Agree with Chin Leng. What I did was, after Nanook finished his meal, we brought him to the litter tray and made him smell the sand. He was conscious but after a while, he peed and pooed in the tray. Cats need encouragement from their owners. Give Snowball a pat on the head and say encouraging words to it when it finally learns to use the tray. Cats understand what we are telling them at times. It makes them feel good.

If Snowball continues this, either you change the litter or toilet-train it.

Good luck

curly

Hi Chin Leng and lollipop

Maybe that's it. In that case, we'll have to change brand. In the meantime, we'll put in more effort with her. Thanks for the advice.

E

eunicetan

halo all,

would like some advice n comments from cat lovers here. my sis-in-law n i would like to get a kitten cos firstly we like cats n secondly we would like our dog to hav a companion. does anyone hav any ideas what breed of cat is less agressive? is there any place where we can bring out pets to view the kittens too? btw, can cats be trained to do tricks n will they come when u call their names?

ryn

Hello All,

So happy to see so many ppl who like cats.
happy.gif
We have 2 cats at home now - a Russian Blue (who thinks she is a princess) and a Siamese (who thinks he is a dog).

Yunise, maybe you want to look at a Burmese (they are the most dog-like of all cats) or a Siamese (very affectionate).

Curly, you might want to try a clay based litter. My cats didn;t like the beads, but they have grown used to it. Leave Snowball in the litter, and if the litter box is in the bathroom, close the door slightly, leaving enough space for it to find it's way out. You might have to do it a few times, but it usually works.

I LOVE my Siamese... going to take him with me when I get married and move out. He answers to his name - like a dog, and when we come home, he will greet us at the door and roll onto his back with an expression on his face that says, "Rub my tummy". He comes runs into my room on weekends and snuggles up to me while I'm still in bed.
happy.gif

curly

Hi Rin

Well, I suppose she's not used to the beads litter. Maybe should start with the clay based one first.... Actually, we locked her in bathroom after her meal but she still poo-ed outside the tray.... We'll just have to teach her after every meal until she learns.

I should say that she has brought us so much joy in our life especially my hubby. Even for me a dog person has grown so fond of her!

lollipop

Hi Ryn,

You are very funny! Quote "We have 2 cats at home now - a Russian Blue (who thinks she is a princess) and a Siamese (who thinks he is a dog)"

Nanook often greets me at the doorstep, only to meow for food. Sometimes when he's asleep, and he hears my footsteps, he'd wake up and wait for me at the door. He's truly sweet. My friends dun think he's a cat, more like a cub. He's really big and long.

Cats can bring you such joy, Curly, and I'm really glad you have grown so fond of Snowball now. I guess you have to be patient with her in the meantime.

Eunice, I do not know which breed is less agressive but yes, I did hear that siamese are affectionate. Dunno how to train a cat to respond to you when you call them, but they do react to your voice. When you have spent enough time with them, play with them, let them know you love them, they will come to you even if you make those "tsk tsk" sounds.

>^..^<

E

eunicetan

halo Ryn n lollipop,

thanks for the suggestion!
happy.gif
im gonna check up for more info on siamese. i believe they r the ones with the 2 coloured eyes? one blue n one brown?

Ryn, may i know how much is a siamese kitten?

ryn

Hi lollipop and yunise,

it's true! he thinks he's a dog!
happy.gif
and he asnwers to his name. *laughs* But I am glad you think I'm funny
happy.gif

Siamese are usually bi-coloured with blue eyes. They have a cream coloured body with brown tips - that is the ears, tails and legs. Mine is an apple head Siamese, althought my sister believes that he is a Siamese cross (with what I dunno). What this means is he doesn't have the typical sharp triangular faces that Siamese show cats do. My sister rescued him from a family who had a very fierce dog who hated him. I think you can find some at SPCA. If not, they can run you abt a few hundred bucks to whatever, depending if the cat is show-cat quality, and comes with papers or not.

I had a friend who paid $300 for a BEAUTIFUL Burmese.

Siamese can be demanding for affection. But like all cats, they will come to you only when they want attention - which is often. We call him shameless all the time.

Another cat you might want to look at is a Ragdoll. Like the name implies, it is like a ragdoll. Great to have when you have kids and like a mild mannered cat.

Let me know how your search went!
happy.gif

E

eunicetan

halo Ryn,

yeah, ive considered a ragdoll too but ive checked out some of the us websites n their ragdolls r huge!! i wonder if the ragdolls here would be as big too? another breed which i considered was munchkins n they look pretty cute as kittens but kinda weird if they grow up n still hav such short legs
lame.gif
. think i would consider either siamese or burmese or maybe ragdolls as well. i do know tat burmese is really beautiful
happy.gif
do u know of any pet shops or cattery tat r reputable?

lollipop

I love Ragdolls and Snowshoes! Actually Eunice, you may want to consider whether you want a short-hair or medium-hair cat. Think Ragdolls are medium-hair cats...but they look so cute!!!

Sorry, dunno of any reputable pet shops selling cats...

E

eunicetan

halo lollipop,

is snowshoes munchkins? or r they a different breed of cats? ive never heard of snowshoes before n it sounds terribly cute!
lol.gif

our first priority is tat the kitten must not be aggressive n should be the responsive type. we dun wan those who 'bo chap' us kind
lame.gif

as to whether long hair or short hair doesnt really matter to us
happy.gif

curly

Finally Snowball had poo-ed and pee-ed in her litter tray!!! We hope that she'll continue doing that....

lollipop

Congrats Curly! You should give snowball a big hug!

Eunice, I'm not sure what breed Snowshoes belong to. I saw a picture of it in books and jigsaw puzzles, but didn't have the time to read further...

curly

Hey lollipop

We didn't give her any hug just in case she got squashed! But we patted her and told her what a good girl she is. This morning I left the kitchen door open so that she has a bigger area to run about. Hopefully she has not done any damage or poo-ed or pee-ed in my living area....

E

eunicetan

halo lollipop,

im goin down to a breeder's home to check out their munchkins later. ive more or less decided on wat breed of cats i wan:
1) ragdolls 2) munchkins 3) burmese 4) ocicat
ive actually seen a petshop advertise a blue pt female ragdoll but it's reserved already
sad.gif
so im goin to check out the munchkins n see if they r suitable for us
happy.gif

lollipop

Hi Curly,
When I first had Nanook, I tied him to a leash, and he could only roam around at the balcony. It seemed cruel, but the right thing to do. I didn't want him to run amok the house and scratch the sofa. In the past my mum hated furry stuff, so I didn't want her to be upset...but after he fell sick due to food poisoning,
sad.gif
, I let him run freely...

I guess once Snowball starts learning to use the litter tray, she'd get accustomed to it. No worries, but just be patient.

Hi Eunice,
Yeah! You must be feeling very excited! Tell us more about the new addition ok?

*clap hands*

curly

Wow lollipop, you really cruel!! hahah...... My hubby won't allow me to do that. I can't even spank her.... She's his darling kitten. I just hope that she won't spoil any of our furniture.... Meanwhile, we'll be very patient with her.

E

eunicetan

halo lollipop,

we saw several exotic cats such as british shorthair, scottish fold, munchkins n abyssinian. we really liked the british shorthair n scottish fold kittens cos they were really cute n adorable! the munchkins were oso very funny with their long bodies n short legs
proud.gif
the only setback was the price. the british shorthair is goin for $1200 while the scottish fold n munchkin r $1500
sad.gif
it's really steep n we prolly take a look at other pet shops for more choices.

ryn

Hi Yunise,

Sorry, bz with work, no time to reply. I was just abt to recommend a british short hair or a scottish fold. So very much what u wanted!!!
happy.gif
Basically, they are abt the same breed, 'cept SF are 1 out of 3 BSH.

The price are expected. I know someone who paid $2500 for a BSH abt 2 yrs back! Try to bargain. They might lower the price. If you like, I'll check witha fren who might have some leads. I'll let you know when I can okie?

E

eunicetan

halo Ryn,

great minds think alike eh?
proud.gif
never knew they were the same breed tho' n it's no wonder i couldnt differentiate the SF n the BSH except for the SF ears. hehehe....

the price is really exorbitant n i dunno if we r ready to fork out tat kind of money so of course if u got 'lobang', i would really appreciate it!
happy.gif

lollipop

Hi Curly,

Dun stone me ah....
lame.gif

Just to let you know, Nanook did destroy our first sofa set. So it's really important to train your kittie to use the scratching post early. If you are looking for one, lemme know. I have one at home which Nanook didn't even bother to glance at.

Sorry Eunice, i dunno how much a cat costs because I picked up a stray... but sincerely hope you would find something suitable and irresistable and of reasonable price too...gd luck!

Oh, did you guys get the cat spa?

curly

Hi lollipop

I'm not stoning you lah!! Actually I was thinking of making a scratching post myself as the pet shop sells only one size. And I don't really want to add more things in my flat. Ever since Snowball came, our flat is filled with her toys and boxes (she loves to hide inside the boxes) and look kinda a mess. Don't really know how to tidy up.

lollipop

Curly,
I know you weren't stoning me... I was just exaggerating
lame.gif

guess you can make a scratching post... did consider that but somehow, couldn't get down to work on it...

cats love to hide in places, whichever hole is available to them. once we open our wardrobe or cabinets, Nanook will dash in and refuses to come out until we have to "tempt" him with food or a toy or we literally have to drag him out. When we succeeded in getting him out, he makes that kind of "mmmm" sound, like he's protesting.... cats are soooo lovable they can get away without being punished harshly!

curly

Yes lollipop, I totally agree with you!! Last night my hubby left the front door opened for 2 mintues and the next minute we couldn't find Snowball and we thought she had left home.... We were almost close to tears. Then she appeared from nowhere... God knows where she had hidden. She must be laughing her head off!!

lollipop

Curly,
Cats can scare our heads off at times
lame.gif
, and they can be bozos too
biggrin.gif

Nanook is my alarm clock...he sleeps with me, and wakes me up at 6am to feed him... he'd meow and meow until my mum wakes up (she wakes up at 6am daily) and after that, he'd leave me in peace. Then sometimes, esp on weekends, he'd wake me up at 7 plus, "thinking" I've to work....

Apparently Snowball was playing hide-n-seek with you. Kitties like to play, so be suer to spend some time with them.... did you buy the Whiskas dry food? The one with a toy inside?

curly

Hi lollipop, sure she loves hide and seek!! But sometimes it's just too much for me!! hahaha..... Well, Snowball doesn't sleep with us. She has her own bed which I think she doesn't use. She has her favourite spot in the living area - the magazine rack. She just loves to sit on top of the magazines....

Umm.... My hubby's in charge of Snowball's food. I think the brand he normally buys is Iam (??). He did buy Whiskas but it's the chicken meat. We'll probably go down to the pet store tomorrow.

lollipop

Iams is an expensive but good brand. Nanook doesn't eat chicken, beef, lamb, liver etc... he only eats fish. Nothing but fish... he's fussy, very fussy.

If there is a chance, perhaps you can show me a picture of Snowball? Love to see how she looks like. You have had her for two weeks now rite? Do you intend to have her spayed?

Sometimes Nanook sleeps with me, other nights, depending on his mood, he'd sleep on top of the washing machine, on top of the TV cabinet (which is almost reaching our ceiling), on the sofa, on top of the fridge, on the bar counter... he's the master of the house, I am his slave
rofl.gif

curly

Hahahaha...... you're very funny!!

Yes, we had taken many pictures of Snowball; still got a few more to go. Hopefully they'll turn out alright.... We used a very old disposal camera... hehehe... very cheapo right?? Will email you the pictures once available. That's right, we'll have her for 2 weeks (nearly). I think we'll have her spayed bec my colleague who has 20 cats (!!) said it advisable or you can forget abt sleeping when she's on heat. But I think it's quite cruel.... However, if not, then she'll get "raped" and get pregnant.... Saw a programme on cats a few nights ago and they showed how they operated on the cat... Don't really want any scar on her but... How about Nanook? Is he neutered?c

ryn

Hi Everyone!!!

Sooo bz wif work, no time to come by. Yunise, try to pet shop at Simei Pt. My fren said they have cats there. Also another one at Frankel Ave. Alternative is to go to M'sia. No need to quarantine the cat. Also a lot cheaper. Good luck!

Took pics of the cats. The Russian Blue turned out BEAUTIFUL, like the princess she is. The Siamese looks like a fat gremlin
happy.gif
his eyes reflected the flash!

Gotta run now. Will share stories abt my kitties later!
happy.gif

lollipop

Hi Curly,

I had Nanook neutered when he was about 9 months. I felt it was cruel too and Nanook's a dosmetic cat... (he is strictly a domestic cat...he wouldn't even go downstairs!) Some said the operation will actually make the cat healthier, and that it will live longer... it will also be more affectionate, and more lazy
lame.gif

Think it will be more exp to spay a female cat... what your friend said is true... it may seem cruel but ultimately it is the right thing to do for your pet.

There isn't any scar on Nanook... I remembered bringing him home the day the vet operated on him, and he was slightly drowsy, but afterawhile, he was climbing up the window grilles (he can be a real bozo at times) and I was so afraid he would tear open his stitch... but none of that happened.

Did the vet advise you when it's time to spay Snowball?

curly

Hi lollipop

I suppose it's the right thing to do.... Yes, it more exp for a female cat; think it's around $165 or so. Well, the vet hasn't given us any adivce yet but from what I read, 6 months is the right timing. Just finished the disposal cam. Will be sending it in for developing. Will try to email you next wk if poss.

lollipop

Hi Curly,
Looking forward to seeing Snowball!!!
proud.gif

Ya, I think some start neutering cats as early as 6 months....I delayed mine for awhile...

Try to take more pic of Snowball, esp when she is growing up. I didn't, something I regret... I had pictures of him when he was young, he had the mischievious look, then suddenly, he grew up... you never know how fast they grow up!

Hmm, got to go now. have a good weekend and talk to you again next week!

curly

Hi lollipop

We went down to the pet store just now and the Whiskas dry food they sell didn't come with a free toy, so my hubby bought the Iams one instead.

Looking at Snowball, I just realised that she had grown bigger. She's no longer the tiny, frightened stray anymore. She has become a terror and rascal.... Most of all, she the queen in our family!

You have a good weekend too.

curly

Hi lollipop

We had collected Snowball's pics this afternoon. However, they were not sharp/clear. My hubby said I took the pics too close. Anyway, I'll try to scan the pics tomorrow and send over to you.

lollipop

Hi Curly,
The initial pictures I took of Nanook weren't focused as well! Guess we were too excited and wanted to capture the feline's cute actions as fast as we could
lame.gif

Nvrmind, show them to me anyways. Can't wait!