Cant Think

sk39

We just got married 1 month ago despite having a lot of communication problems.

We're complete opposites. He likes to keep things to himself. He gets angry & raises his voice easily triggered by just a simple question from me. He's defensive (when i suggested a marriage preparation course, he said i should be the one to attend since i'm the one with the problems), inarticulate and blunt to the extent he offends a lot of people who doesnt know him well. He has a very bo-chup attitude and doesnt show much concern for me. He has very few friends but A LOT of gay admirers.

I am more vocal & prefers to discuss & talk it out whenever I have something on my mind. When I find out that he has done something behind my back, I dont keep it bottled inside. Instead I prefer to ask him about it as I want to be reassured whenever I feel insecure. That annoys him a lot. I have A LOT of friends (but funnily, most of them are divorced).

My husband has some past with gay men before. He had many gay admirers but I only know of one incident where sex was involved. Apparently, he went on holiday and shared a hotel room with a gay man and was trapped into oral sex but all this happened before we met. He says he's never been interested in gay men.

During our relationship, there was a married gay guy L who kept calling & visiting my husband everyday. This went on for several months. As my husband has very few friends he can click with, he treasured this friendship a lot despite I felt uneasy about it. L even CONSOLED my husband in front of me when he found out we were getting married and patted my husband on the back telling him he will be OK.

Recently I found out my husband had been visiting L's house twice or three times a week late at night when L's family was not in. He would lie to me that he was at home when in fact he was at L's home.

My husband says it's for coffee, and that I'm making a fuss over nothing. He said since he knew I disliked L, he didnt ask me to join him when he visited L. To him, it is just a normal friendship between men.

Finally, just last night, i discovered that my husband has been surfing gay forums. It was on his Google search history. In it there were gay men posting personals blatantly looking for sex partners etc. When I mentioned that forum name to him, he just asked me what it was about..

I dont know what to make of it anymore. All this while, I have a horrible suspicion he might be a closet gay. Our sex life is low, once a week and its usually over before it began. When I bring up the "gay" subject, he would get agitated and start raising his voice and we would end up in a shouting match. We never have a calm discussion.

Its only 1 month since we got married, but I am already tired. My mom asks me to close 1 eye. My friends tell me its a mistake to get married in the first place. The silent "we told you so". Maybe the are right but its too early for me to give up. I just dont know what to do next. I cant talk to him. And yet I cant keep it all bottled inside.

lunaaa

Sorry I can't help much on this. I guess you do love him a LOT that's why you went ahead with marriage.

lunaaa

Not one man I know will be "trapped" into oral sex. No prizes for guessing he is bisexual. Tell him no matter what, you must have a talk with him. Afterall, you are in this marriage together.

vios

Looks like the communication problems also stem from his lack of honesty right from the start, the other probably being his character. He was obviously taking you for a fool when you believe that he has never been interested in gay men. So it really seems to me that you love him for his good looks more than the compatible factors.

And because he would still be heading over to L's house, all the more you shouldn't close 1 eye as it is kinda difficult to sustain a marriage without honesty and trust.

vios

P/S: And guys don't go over to guy buddies' house for coffee, two or three times per week. Unless perhaps, to study for exams during sec school days.

lunaaa

I hope I'm not making you scared but I know two male acquaintences who maintain a marriage but are actually gay. One of them also has two daughters but is gay.

sgbabydoll

"u have 1yr to decide whether if you want to go for annulment."

There is no time limit to annulment as long as there is a valid reason.

matka

SK39, i thought your handle sounded familiar... and looking at a previous post, I realised why. And I totally know how your friends feel. "Why why why did you go ahead despite all the warning signs?" I'm sure they feel absolutely frustrated because they care for you as a friend. But hey, it's your life, you make the decisions.

Take away the possibilities that he may be gay, having an affair (man or woman regardless), communication problems... What is the saving grace of your relationship?

What is the reason for your marriage and are there any happy times that you feel is worth fighting for?

lunaaa

Matka, will always remember your words during future "trying" times with my husband-to-be
happy.gif

sgbabydoll

"For annulment, it will always be better to do it within a year. Thats the advice from a Lawyer."

It's common sense to do it as soon as possible if you can arrive at a decision. And unlike divorce, you don't need the marriage licence to cross three years to apply for annulment.

sk39

I've never met a guy so blunt(which I've mistaken for honesty & straightforwardness) in my whole life.

The one trait that attracted me to him is not his looks (he's just above average looking only but his rough edges appeals to gay men), its his bluntness. I've met so many sweet-talker that it was like a breath of fresh air.

There are happy times but very few and somehow tangled in with unhappy moments too. For eg. he loves vintage stuff. So he can spend every single day at Sungei Road, a road-side haven for karang guni men to sell their stuff. Its in the open air under the hot sun and crowd mainly consists of old men, filipino maids & banglas. If i want to spend time together, I have to follow him there as he refuse to spend his money in shopping malls or food courts or cinemas. The hot sun, the different crowd and the atmosphere is overwhelming for me but when he finds a good bargain, and seeing the smile on his face, somehow I feel happy too for this man who can look so contented buying discarded items. And I feel happy that I am there with him to share the moment.

Another example, our honeymoon was a "waste of money" according to his mother, and he agreed. He refused to read up or research more on the destination. I tried to compromise on the expenses eg. his family paid for air tickets & I paid for hotel & food. I did all the reading, planned our itinerary, booked our tickets & selected & booked the hotels on my own. I was unhappy, but i couldnt complain. I dreaded another incident would occur (as some of you like Matka who remembers me from my previous post) during this holiday. But when we were overseas and we found all these flea markets selling vintage stuff and he was like a little boy keep going back to the same area everyday, I felt happy that I made all this happen.

The reason I married him is simple, I do love him. But I dont know what his reason for marrying me is. I cant say for sure that he loves me.

sgbabydoll

You have been making "sacrifices" for him even though he may not have asked of you. It would be OK if that makes you happy, but it is not. You have to face the music now, not of him being possibly gay, but the incompatibility and lack of quality communication.

matka

Joy (lunaa), unfortunately in this instance, the odds are so high. I would attribute it to poor decision-making.

SK39, the reason I asked is so that you can evaluate the positive (if any) aspects of your relationship. From what you have described... I can't see any saving graces on his end at all. It seems to me that your relationship is a one-way street. Has this been the case from day 1? Don't tell me that the two of you got together simply because of his bluntness?

miloice

"The one trait that attracted me to him is not his looks (he's just above average looking only but his rough edges appeals to gay men), its his bluntness. I've met so many sweet-talker that it was like a breath of fresh air."

Its just an attraction... let me be really brunt here... I'm attracted to a variety of women. Attraction in form of admiration, or appeal alone DOES NOT justify marriage. There isn't a relationship. You are just a crazy fan and follower that stubbornly refuse to face reality. Gender perferences, the line is so not so clear. But, what you described is clearly way off. His alarm bells should have sound long ago unless he is gay and enjoy indulging in the activities knowing the agenda masked underneath.

sk39

Geez, my husband possess many of the "top signs" indicated on the website!!

"A tendency for your husband to brag about gay men complimenting him on his looks." He feels flattered when people mistaken him to be homosexual based on his looks/dressing as he feels gay men dresses really well.

"Unusually high percentage of male friends who are gay. Watch out if your husband's new best friend is gay!" L is a new admirer, just popped up in our lifes several months ago. Before I came into his life, my husband used to hang out with some gay men and they introduced their own gay group to him. He didnt think there was anything wrong to be friends with gay men.

"Buying or receiving expensive, intimate, or overly personal gifts from other men." Holidays, intimate gifts such as G-strings (which he still keeps but never use), free passes to some clubs.

"Trust your instincts if he spends a great deal of time with one man or a few without inviting you to the party." The recent case with L.

I mentioned my concerns to my sis-in-law once, but she reassured me that she believes her brother is straight. Even my husband told me to check with his mother, as he feels his mother is the one person to understand him the most. I feel bad for suspecting him when I should trust him.

lunaaa

Maybe your husband isn't so sure himself? I'm positive if Powder and Milo are friends and in the same hotel room, Powder asked Milo if he can suck his dick, I'm pretty sure Milo will tell him, "Hey bro, we are platonic friends only OK and I'm hella straight, don't request such things to spoil the friendship." And if Powder persists further, Milo will tell him F You.

How can a man be TRAPPED into oral sex with another if he is not bisexual or gay? How can?

miloice

Out of all people, the last person to know and acknowledge his gayness is naturally the parents and especially the mother. Its quite a no brainer.

I have known gay friends that doesn't back off even when they know of your marital status. For me, its too bad, if one doesn't respect me enough, then that friendship is lost.

lunaaa

Actually, the fact that L needs to console (in your own words) your husband before the wedding is a big telling sign. Disturbing to say the least. Wedding should be happy event, but L consoled him.

powder

Joy, u have very poor understanding of guys... normally if that ever happens, the frenship is basically off... if milo tells me that, it means milo is fcuking gay too... just that he dun fancy me.

and besides... dun assume gay men just screw any guy who comes along... choices are very much similar to the heterosexual..

looks like your obsession is now with me and maybe milo.

lunaaa

Ahh ok, so I hope you have clarified for all guys for SK39. That chances of her husband being bisexual is high. Next question is, the dishonesty and incompatibility, which is the bigger issue...

No leh, I'm still obsessed with my fire thing.

infojunkie

"I feel bad for suspecting him when I should trust him"

ok, continue to trust him.

just dun forget the rubber...

mewmoon

Don't make so many sacrifices until you neglect your own happiness. Your husband won't appreciate it. If you persist in believing your husband despite all the warning signs, then please protect yourself by not forgetting the rubber as junkie mentioned.

vios

SK39

well, only you would truly know the reason for this union. Being honest or blunt (no pun intended), i'm just saying that you love him for his good looks (or certain superficials) because i am certain that not too many gals (except for self-infliciting types) could stay too long in a relationship with a guy who is quick-tempered, way over defensive, crazily blunt and super duper nonchalant/uncaring, let alone the liking for his same gender.

I mean, Wow. I see alot more issues coming your way.

vios

...... unless you start to un-blind yourself with certain clear-cut realities, provided that your outspokenness would not repeatedly bite you back in the butt - no thanks to a lack of conviction to back it up.

No wonder you're getting steamrolled time and time again by his 'bluntness' - which is not at all appealing, as it is not thought-provoking.

mediamonk

At the very least, it's quite obvious that your husband is unsure about his sexuality. That's not a state one should get married in.

Even if he's truly bisexual, as a married man, lies and deception about who he's with, etc... are a very bad sign. If he was bisexual and sticks to one partner that would be fine. But it would appear that this is probably not the case.

Unfortunately, you know the best case of action. Sooner the better.

lovingyou

We just got married 1 month ago despite having a lot of communication problems = Why is that so? There is so much on the plate despeite the gender issues, why proceed in the first place?

"My mom asks me to close 1 eye" = I think if this carries on, you might have to close both eyes and both ears too?

goldfishtee

Hi SK39,

You've done well in all aspect but I think you could try to improve your relationship with your husband's friends too. You mentioned you dislike "L" hence your husband did not invite you along in their meetings, I feel this is not good. You don't have to always join all of his meetings with friends, but you need to get along with his friends.

If you really want to know what's going on, maybe you can try to create outing between 3 of you; you, your husband and "L". See how they behave, you may probably notice something.

tomasulu

he is gay, period.

being married to you reminds him of the deceit he perpetuates on a daily basis. you are both his prop and his guilt... you tell me, how can he be happy with you?

that's his problem.

why you'd marry someone who doesn't want a honeymoon with you is beyond me. and how you can be so beguiled by his feeble denial is again puzzling. i'm sure that deep in your heart, you know who he really is. it's just that admitting it will bring this sad charade to a crashing end. and i don't think you are ready for it.