Cambridge Diet 7days Challenge

lglhyper

I need to lose weight for my wedding this month on 26th Sept 04! I did not try all the methods under the sun and have tried using fat absorbers, but they are no use to me!

Because of the above challenge to win S$10,000, i have decided to embark on my very first diet programme!

I am now into my fourth day of the cambridge diet. I have went through 3days of preparation.
First day-replace 1 meal,
Second / Third day-replace 2 meals
Now Fourth day-replace ALL 3 meals

I am quite excitied to see my body react to near stravation without food! I just cant stand the lure of food and must eat whenever i see chips(my top favorite!) and fried food.

I wonder i could be a more healthy eater after going through the diet and whether i could change to a better eater?

My purpose of the link is to get support/feedback from people who had been on the diet or perhaps is on the same challenge as me!

The contest date is on 10/09/04! Hopefully i could lose enough weight to be on the stage and win some money!

My starting weight is 68.1kG (29/08/04)
My weight now is 67.1kG (02/09/04)
My target weight 60.0kG (26/09/04)

Let all the dieters join force to become a slimmer society!!! ;-P

lglhyper

err... closing date over liao! 27/08/04 last date. ;-P We are supposed to go in for weighin on 10/09/04 and see who lost the most percent of weight among the 250participants to enter the FINAL contest on that day. First price = S$10K

I soo sad! Yesterday, i am supposed to be on three meal replacement! I am ok throughout the day. When i reach home, and i saw my favourite FRIED MEEHOON and Strawberries and BBQ Crackers and ROOST MEAT, i devour the whole BIG GIANT PLATE!!!!

I dont dare to tell my collegue who is on the same challenge as me!

Why like that??? ;-( Maybe if i am on diet, i should stay away from home. ;-(

Any brilliant ideas any one????

SOooooo sad......

My weight now is 67.4kG (03/09/04)

tealeaf

Hi Esther,
don't blame yourself. Being on liquid diet is really not easy. The body is inclined to eat those food we are restricted from .... gal, if you wanna continue, forget about the plate of mee hoon and continue ....

Being honest, to lose like 8 kgs within a month is really not going to be possible unless you are very very fat. And most prob temp water loss only and may even affect your menses cycle.

I am getting married in 2 weeks' time and I am exercising hard to lose 1 kg in the next 2 weeks and eating wisely.

tealeaf

Esther,
I am worried that in the last 2 weeks, you may not able to withstand the temptation of food thus indulge, then it's worse. Think replace 2 meals are better and more sustainable. For me, I can only replace 1 meal, if 2 meals, max 2 days ... then cannot tahan liao ... you are already very good
happy.gif

alan_golfnut

lala: Well said, my Padawan (err.. in case you never watch Star Wars, it means, 'disciple').
happy.gif
Hey, didn't know your big day in 2 weeks'! Congrats! Oy, why the number of the scale so important? Look in the mirror: Look good? Then it's A-OK!
happy.gif
I'm sure you'll look great! What's 1 kilo anyway?

lglhyper

i did it again! ;-( Over the weekend, i went to my new house for springcleaning and i was soooo hungry after that. So my body crave for solid food which i give in. However i notice that my appetite has become smaller. So although i did not take the cambridge for 2days, my weight did not shot up as i have expected!

Congratulations to you LALA! ;-) I am so happy for you! ;-P Excited? I am ok! I have not send out my wedding cards. Will only do it after the SEVENTH MONTH. ;-P

I think as long as i am in office i should be ok. So maybe 2meal replacmeent during the weekdays and eat moderate for dinner should be ok.

Heehee... my collegue who is also on the same challenge with me also could not endure during the weekend! Haha! Luckily i am not the one one! ;-P ;-P

tealeaf

Hi Alan,
"Master" !!! 1 kg is not that important but the inches are
happy.gif

Hi Esther,
Thanks !!!
I agree that wkdays are easier to control diets coz wkend, no fix routine, thus eat whatever comes ... hehehe

By the way, mind revealing how tall are you ??

alan_golfnut

lala: Padawan, ah, that makes more sense then! ;) Change your workout routine, do something diffferent so that the body gets confused and scrambles to adapt.

lglhyper

i am 1.75m tall. My husband is 1.78m. Reason why i want to lose some weight so that he wont have backache 'carrying' me into the 'bedroom'! He complain of backache after we done our PS in June04. He carry me five times that day! And finally took one week to recover! ;-(

My inches are so so. typical pear.. But for his 'back' sake, i should cut some mass. ;-P

lglhyper

So far so good! Till now breakfast and lunch on cambridge. Will be trying for 3meals. If by 5pm, going to faint, i will have my cambridge again. That should be able to hold me for another 4hours.

If stomach growling by 10pm, i might take another meal again.

hee... hee... 1pack is 137cal. So one day is 411cal. The description says if you are over 173cm, should take four servings. Hmm.... maybe that will work out for me! I will still be consuming only 548cal today! ;-P

Just a thought. Never know what will happen later! If go back home, and smell my mum's yummy dishes, i might just go back to 2meal replacment for the coming weeks! So i will just lose weight gradually!

Think i can never win the competition! The final date is comig Friday! ;-(

My weight now is 67.4kG (06/09/04)

tealeaf

Hi Esther,
wow you are very tall !!!! Me 166com only
sad.gif
but my HB only 2 cms taller than me, thus cannot complain about height. Aiyo, ask your HB to train up his muscles instead so that he can carry you.... kkekekeke

Master,
what do you say about meal replacements?

alan_golfnut

Right, I've sat on the sidelines cos I've haven't done much research abt the Cambridge Diet before, but now that I've read that a day's caloric intake with the diet is 411cal, I'm alarmed and am sticking my nose in.

FYI, an average person requires about 1500 calories a day to sustain even though the person just lies there and does absolutely nothing at all. Why? Cos although you're not moving, your body still needs to function, like your internal organs to sustain life. So do your sums: 411 calories a day is only a third of what is required! What will happen is that your body will go into a 'starvation mode', meaning in order to prevent your body from wasting away (BTW, weight loss will likely come from loss of muscles first), the body will store away all caloric intake in the form of fat, to use when the food becomes scarce.

You can still eat your fave food as long as it is in moderation. You can lose weight (more importantly, fat) as long as there's a caloric deficit (within reason, 411calories a day is sheer madness), meaning you use more calories than you put in. That can easily be achieved with a sensible diet and an active lifestyle.

Losing weight is desirable, but is it worth ruining your health?

lglhyper

hi Alan, what is the minimum calorie deficit that is recommended? e.g. any formulae to calculate your body minimum requirement? E.g. tall people/active/sedatory/...etc people all have different requirements.

Can i say if i use partial meal replacement to achieve calorie deficit and at the same time, do some exercise to build my muscles, it would be a wiser health option?

From my experience for the past one week, although i replaced two meals with this diet, my third meal is usually quite heavy, e.g. rice/meat/soup/fruits. I think i might consume approximately 1000cals in just one meal. Thus, i am still achieving calorie deficit through this diet in some ways.

If i need 1800cals to maintain my health, through two meal replacement, i still can achieve deficit of 526cals!

So for people who cant control their appetite, this method might just worked out?

Just my humble thought!

;-P

alan_golfnut

Esther: From what I understand, Cambridge Diet is a protein diet, meaning you dun get any carbs or much vitamins either, which you can only find in a balanced diet. Carbs are not the kind of evil that it's been portrayed to be. As long as you dun take too much or eat too much of the refined type, it's ok. Carbs are also necessary as a trigger for fat burning, and also it is essential for the function of our brains. Read the thread on Atkins diet where I posted a recent report on some effects that some people had while on the Atkins.

1000 cals is a lot to put in over one meal. It's not just an issue abt controlling your diet, it's an issue of whether you're getting the essential nutrients into your body, and other health concerns.

When someone reduces their calories, it's about looking at what they should cut back on, such as excessive fat intake, etc. However, cutting back to less than 1000 calories a day would be a red flag cos you'd be in starvation, thus depriving your body of the necessary nutrients for repair and regeneration. You'd be more tired, look haggard, and tendency to fall ill more often. And when you diet, your metabolism would slow down, meaning your ability to burn up calories would slow down.

BTW, it isn't so hard to burn up calories when you exercised. I burn abt 250 calories when I go for a 25 minutes brisk walk at about 65% of my max heart rate.

tealeaf

Hi Alan,
I agree with what you said, however, many people who really lose a lot of weight are those who cut down on their food intake than exercise. I have 2 gal friends who exercise so much, swim & jog, but still look "big-sized" and infact, one of them look even bigger after she swam for 2 months.
Thereafter, she stopped swimming and thus look slimmer. I know because her muscles bulk up, but gals wanna look slim and not bulky. The other gal used to exercise like 6x a week and still maintain the same weight which she hopes to lose, Thereafter she also gave up ... she went on Atkins diet and within a week lose 2-3 kgs.

What I am saying that it is always easier to lose that 1st few stubborn kgs by dieting. Exercise seems more applicable to maintaining the weight. I am a great supporter to exercise but realise that controlling the amount of food intake seems to work better
happy.gif

Master, what say u?

alan_golfnut

lala: A SENSIBLE diet has to go hand in hand with exercise, that is without saying. The case of your swimming friend, I guess she was the unfortunate case of someone who puts on muscle easily (quite rare, cos women don't have so much hormones needed for that sort of muscle growth).

Atkins works, no doubt, but short term. But if you moderate it (ie. dun follow completely) by reducing carbs rather than NO carbs, and reduce fat rather than MORE fats, it's def more sustainable.

BTW, I do not pay Lala to speak on my behalf or for me, thank you, in case got people coming out with conspiracy theory!! ;)

tealeaf

Hi Alan,
I agree with you on the moderated Atkins diet ....

huh, me also sharing my thoughts and what I have learn't only lah. I used to be anorexic when I was 14. Thus read alot about dieting, blah blah. I was quite ill, have to take hormones pills prescribed by doctor back then ... urm ... you get paid when speaking here mah ??!!!

alan_golfnut

lala: Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your problems in the past. Am so so glad that hear that you're better now. Do, do drop me a mail if you need any help, k?

And no, I don't get paid a single cent for posting here, cos if I did, I'd be pretty rich! ;) So as it is, I'm still as poor as a church mice. Boohoo!

Had to drop that disclaimer statement abt you not being associated in anyway to me cos of a conspiracy theory that a forumer posted before mah. ;)

phuture

Alan,
I agree totally with what you say here (and have said in many threads that I read your entries in). I'm appalled by the things people do to lose weight. What happened to the good'ol eating healthily and exercise!?!

There was a time in history when VLCDs (Very low calorie diets) were a rage. It was later found that it causes harm to the body, shan't go into the technical details. It was banned in the States and NO medical authority can put you on VLCDs even up to now.

Cambridge Diet is one such diet. You lose weight on Cambridge Diet OF COS, because you're simply taking in lesser calories than usual! Of cos you lose weight!

The thing is... you will put it back on! almost at the snap of a finger. When you lose weight that fast, your body metabolism is going to slow down tremendously. So when you eat normally again, you're going to put on weight rapidly and weight more than when you started.

It's so hard to change the way people think.

Lala, here's a special bouquet to you for coming out of anorexia. I see more and more "annas" in my work that it's scary. I sincerely want to congratulate you. But please tread carefully.

Everyone, I know there's a whole lot of information on the internet and all around us. Please, before you take in any information, think about where this information came from. Is it from an authorised body? What credentials have this person got? etc etc...

lglhyper

Wow! So what should i do with all the shakes i have with me now? In order not to waste it, i think i will continue with a replacement a day and finish up all the shakes! heehee... i like milk shakes a lot ;-P So i can take it as a treat! ;-P Dont worry! Only left 1week supply!

ok! I still have my gym membership, perhaps i should go back to my workout again! ;-( Think the first few days of the startup is the most difficult! Just like a car startup, need to use up more fuel! ;-( I will start today! Hmm... will go for a brisk walk in the evening! yup yup!

Think that 1000cals a meal is really easy to achieve for local food. For example, fish soup with plain rice+vegi = 800cals! Plus some watermelon+orange...etc = 1000cals! Any one has any suggestions of calories for local food?

Just an update on my weightloss CUM fittness progress....
My weight now is 66.8kG (07/09/04)

alan_golfnut

Esther: Try getting a fren to join you in the gym, make it a fun group thing so that you can motivate each other to keep going. You can also do other forms of exercises like playing a sport, swimming, running or brisk walking, etc. You dun have to limit your activities to the gym.

Try the Health Promotion Board website, there might be info there. www.hpb.gov.sg. Good luck!

lglhyper

just curious! Am i an odd ball? Course, i dont like to go exercise with my friends or hubby! I like to go there alone and to kick myself for longer run, more steps...etc.

When i last went with my buddy friends, it was quite de-motivating for me as I could not catch up with them! Also if i go running with my husband, i always give up half way seening that he has reach the destination. But if i am alone, i will drag myself to the finishing point!

just curious!

alan_golfnut

no lah, you just answered your own question there- you get discouraged exercising with your hubby and frens. Same thing for my wife, she hates running with my cos for one thing, she's 1.56m tall and I'm 1.78m tall, so our stride length is oredi very different.

Dun worry, just work at your own pace, whatever you're comfortable with. Just be active, that's good enough!
happy.gif

phuture

Congratulations for starting an exercise programme, Esther!

I exercise on my own too... mainly cos I can't keep up
happy.gif
and I find it hard to fit into other's schedules. Whatever works best for ya! You go gurl!

lglhyper

Phew! luckily i am not the only one!

CHEERS! I will clear up my office work and go back earlier! No excuses for not taking care of my height! Yup yup!

Pray to heaven that it dont rain! ;-P then i would have excuses again! ;-( ok ok... lah... i will go climbing stairs if it did rain! yup yup! 2x12sty up&down should be enough.

I will update u all with my progress tommorrow!

Taking the CB chicken+mushroom soup now. Taste YUCKY! think i will just finish up the shakes and throw away the soups... ;-P

alan_golfnut

esther: As long as you get at least 20 minutes of cardio in, you'll be okay. Just try to keep your heart rate between 60-70% of your max heart rate (220 minus your age).

northgal

Hi Esther,
I started attending yoga with my FH, and then only I realised how flexible he was. He gave me that kind of shocking look 'wah, this is e furthest u can go hah?'...Though I agree that most gal should be more flexible.

Me prefer to work-out wif my gal friend, esp those group of same 'standard'. But gal r very troublesome creature, dily here n dally there, excuses day n more at night. Unless they r really e ON type, else better to go alone. See result faster too.

yunn

Hi Alan
haha! fatherly bcum master, then i shd call u fatherly master oredi!

btw, somebody claims tt big tummy can b gained easily by shower after a meal, izit true?

northgal

Alan : I recommend u epilator, work better than shaver. U can also try out Jean Yip hair extension.

lala, how to put in that 'shocking' cartoon? sori, me abit 'ignorance'.

alan_golfnut

Sigh! I step away for a while and come back to all the suaning.
happy.gif

Yunn: Frankly, never heard of that one before, prob jus an old wive's tale.

tealeaf

Hi northgal,
when u are shocked enough, the cartoon will just pop out !!!! kekekeke ... joking lah, simply click the "upload attachment" button and upload the file.

lglhyper

wow! what is happening? I was just away for a few hours and there are so much happening! Hmm... i dont like guys in skirts too! Sometimes, a bit insulting on us girls! That we cannot be more 'pretty' than them! ;-P

;-( Boo hoo..... I mentioned going jogging or stair climbing right? I was soooo stressed with my work that i decided to go watch movie instead! Watch Garfield. Just want to find something brainless to make me laugh.

And when i reach home, i dont feel like sleeping. I was awake till 2pm and my stomach growling and i end up with a piece of bread wrapped with chips! ;-(

What should i do when i am really fustrated and moody? I heard dark chocolates helps. Maybe next time i will just take a small piece. Any suggestion?

My weight now is 66.8kG (07/09/04)
My weight now is 67.0kG (08/09/04)

straw

Hi Esther,

My friend is on 7 days challenge too, lost about 5 kilos now, strictly sole source. How about your other friend who's also into it, improving? are you coming this friday? don't throw your soup if you don't use all of it, give it to me ;-)

lglhyper

my collegue only lose 2kg...2meal replacement.. wow... i think i better dont come on Friday. I only miserable 1kg, dont dare to compete or show face!

U sure ah? I hate the soup! I only took two slip of the vegi soup today, yesterday chicken+mushroom soup... very yucky!

u want the soups? OKOK! email to me and i will send to you by post, ok? I dont want to be too wasteful with food. ;-P I think i still have 4packs of the soups left! Not passing u the drinks cos i like those ;-P

my email [email protected]

lglhyper

hi Pillow! You can get those from the website. They can deliver the next working day. But dont get soups, they are not nice and not filling. Shakes are better. Vanilla taste like holicks, strawberry/chocolate/cuppcino/banana ok. Personally, i think mix with cold water is BEST. Taste like milk shakes! ;-P

http://www.wherehealthbegins.com/singapore/Product?skuno=3104

hey Berry! I not joking when i say i can pass u the 4soups. Free to u! :p I dont wanna waste it. If u dont wanna, i will call them up to see if i can exchange for shakes! ;-)

Yesterday, after a light dinner of soup(not Cambridge), i went for a 30minutes walk! yup! Feel better! Lungs seem clearer. Today, i shall do something similar after dinner too! ;-)

My weight nos is 66.4kG (09/09/04)
(only 2meal replacement, dinner eat normal, Sat/Sun eat normal 3meals)

straw

Hi Esther,

You've got mail!

Thanks for the info on where to order, we usually buys it at guardian thinking that $99 is the lowest price.

lglhyper

Berry! U've got mail too! ;-P

Know what? I heard from my collegue that they are promoting the CB diet. So even now, if you call them up and ask to enter the contest, u can get the goodie bag of 21no. power at S$30!!! So even if you dont drink, u can 'SELL' to your friend at markups!!!! Also, we can get the second box at S$80 too!

So u will have a lot of savings!!! I already got my second box! ;-P

lglhyper

you get your "friend" whom had taken part in the 7days cambridge programme to call/look for for the health-advisor in charge of him. Then tell them u want to purchase the special second box from them at S$80.00. They deliver the next day for me.

I am contestant E1, my in-charge is Jacquelin @ tel: 6280-1169. I think that is the main line? U give it a try! However only second box! ;-P

straw

Hi Esther,

Wow, you're resourceful, we didn't know we can have a discounted second box. Thanks for the tip.

lglhyper

think those health advisors act as a buddy for your entire diet programme. If you have problems, u call up to check if it is normal or not or just to get support. I understand is that they have all tried out the programme themselves and thus would understand what the problems that we have encounter. I think they are only product trained.