Cambodia

yule

Dear Metta in another thread called HCMC:

You'll need a pass to get into the ruins; they are checked at the main entry to the ruins (where you buy it) and at each individual site. There are 3 choices; $20 (US dollars) for a day, $40 for 3 days, and $60 for 7 days. This may seem expensive, but there are a *lot* of ruins...

You'll need a photo for a multi-day pass; they can take one when you buy, but it'll speed things up if you have a spare passport photo with you. I'd guess that most people will go for the $40 dollar pass - you can see pretty much all you'd need to in 3 days. The $20 one-dayer is fine if it's just Angkor Wat, the Bayon and Ta Prohm you're interested in.

As a bonus they seem to stop checking the tickets after 4pm so you should be able to get in for a sunset for free if you come late on your 1st day.

It's a photographer's paradise.

metta

Dear Yule,
thanks for starting this thread!

How far is it from town (hotel) to Angkor Wat? Where did you stay when u were there? Perhaps a estimate on your overall expenses? Was language a problem? Ok for 2-3 girls to go F&E?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks!

metta

Btw, I was asking around where to get trekking shoes for travel to places like this, where walking and climbing is required. U have any suggestions? Thanks!

xynn

I'm interested to go Siem Reap backpack style. Has anyone done that? Is it easy to find budget accomodation in Siemp Reap?

yule

Hi Metta! GOod to see you here!! So have u decided where to go, Vietnam or Cambodia?

OK, my story goes like this, I joined a HK tour group at abt HKD4,000+ (SGD800) per pax for just 4D3N in SR and PP. That covered: Return Int'l Airfare, Domestic airfare from SR-PP, 3meal/day, 2-3* hotels, minibus, tour guide were inclusive in both SR and PP. I extended 2 more nights in PP on my own.

We took a chartered flight on Air Cambodge, that's why it was cheaper. Our Angkor Wat pass was a Group Pass that allowed our minibus to drive into the ancient city Angkor itself. The city is so huge that you need someone to take you from point to point, walk briskly or rent a bike to cycle from Wat (temple) to Wat. Our tour started at dawn (5am) when we watched sunrise at the main Angkor Wat pagoda [the sun rises exactly from behind the vertex of the tallest pagoda], and ended at 7pm at Bakheng Phnom (hill) where we enjoyed a panaromic view of the whole city on the hilltop. Within our humanly possible stamina, we finished only the 7 most popular sites in total. All of us were so shagged at night. We had a sumptuous Khmer cuisine while watching a Khmer dance performance.

No, no one will have a language problem in Cambodia. So many F&E tourists went and left there. It is ok to go with a group of girls only. I only wore normal running shoes. You need to have a good grip on the steep stairs and undulating terrains as you scale those muddy treks with protruding gigantic roots. At some pagodas, we literally had to climb on all fours like a monkey! Your back must face outwards to descend. So a good pair of shoes is impt.

beldry

hi all,

ive just got back from cambodia..my hubby and i stayed there for 6 days..which i felt was a tad bit too long.. coz we didn't really venture into the off-beaten tracks like battambang or sihanoukville.. i think 3-4 days at siem reap should be enuff..maybe throw in 1 more day if you are visiting phnom penh..

we requested for pick-up at the airport to our guesthouse, home sweet home, and the touk touk driver, sombath was really sweet. He drove us around and gave us a brief history on some of the places we had visited. I think if there are only 2 wats you plan to visit, they have to be Angkor Wat and Bayon. In my opinion, they are definitely Angkor's two most spectacular architectural creations..Ta Phrom is also a great place to visit. It's this temple where massive fig and silk cotton trees grow from the towers and corridors..these 3 wats had definitely provided loads of shutter-happy moments for us..

we then hit the (very bumpy) road on this (old bone-shaker) bus for 6 hours to Phnom Penh.. hmm..i couldn't say i've enjoyed my stay at the capital as much.. this is especially so after visiting toul sleng genocide museum.. it was a high school turned torture prison during the Pol Pot's regime.. the building was left pretty much in the same state when the Khmer rouge abandoned it in 1979..mugshots of the victims can be seen all over.. even their belongings are kept intact in a glass cupboard at the museum.. toul sleng had definitely brought mist to my eyes..i thought it was a really haunting place..

hmm..but on the whole, i must say my stay at cambodia had been a really fulfilling one.. im very humbled by what ive seen.. the people there are really a hospitable bunch and a happy lot.. despite living on the edge of poverty, they are always so cheerful and willing to help..

i thought cambodia's really one of southeast asia's hidden treasures..

khoosm

Hi ambush,

Just like to ask if its better to change the money here or in siem reap? I'm going there this Fri and I've read somewhere that its better to change money into US$ instead of their currency.

Heard that we need to bring more US$1, US$5 notes. Is it better that way?

Am staying there for 5 days 4 nights, inclusive of airport tax, driver w/car & 3 days angkor wat pass for 2 of us plus food, is US$200 enough for the two of us?

Thanx!

beldry

hey bertbert..

sorry..i saw ur post a lil too late.. hope ur trip was great..

think it might be quite useless to reply you now..but then oh well..

think we spent ard US$300 for 6 days 5 nights.. (excluding shopping) cambodia can be quite ex.. a simple breakfast of pancake with bananas already cost us US$2.. two 3-day angkor passes cost US$80..

but cambodia's a real photographer's paradise!

khoosm

hi ambush,

haha, its ok. My wife and I did enjoyed the trip very much.

You are right, its not cheap to go there actually. Not forgetting the airport charge when coming back...US$25/pax!! It is sure a photograph paradise.

Thanx anyway.

lux

hi people,

I just spent 12 days in Cambodia but only went to Phnom Penh and siem Reap mainly. I didnt know how cambodia was and was taken back by the warm response we received during our trip. My hubby and I throughly enjoyed our vacation and was amazed at their pace of development that seems to match thailand.

I spent 4 nights in Penh and visit their palace, the national museum where carvings of angkor period were 'rescued' from auction sites and waiting to be re-homed in Siem Reap sometime this year. I was appalled when we visited cheong Ek killing fields and Tuol Sleung where the khmers went through the Pol pot regimes. It was painstaking to imagine that this happen only 28 years ago. While walking ard Cheong Ek we saw bones and bit of cloths still stuck in the soil we were trampling on. We can only imagine that pain and will never understand that. One of the the guides at Tuol Sleung also mentioned that at least 1 family memeber in each household died due to starvation, hardship or execution style.

In Phnom Penh we also went to Russia market where stockist of clothing manufacturers were abundant. You can get A & F, DKNY sports, Old Navy etcs clothings at $1-$4 per pcs. All new and some might be rejects but if you are lucky most are in really good condition. Shopping galour for both guys and girls alike!

We took a bus 'mekong express' to Siem Reap where we trot the angkors with gustos on a 3 days pass. I feel bantrey Srei is a must go as well because the carving was one of the most intact. Rested the tired feet and for a day break to go swim and idle shop and continue On the 5th day we went to Mount Kulen to see the repute thousands lingas where carving was made on the river bed. That was a sight to behold. Imagine the carvers sitting on the river bed honing their crafts back then! The Waterfall was majestic and for someone like me who never see a natural waterfall, I was in awe. The driver we hired prepared a BBQ for us by the riverside which was magical! I really appreciate their hospitality which seems to come from their heart! On the way back we went to the mine museum started by Mr Aki Ra which again reminded us of the sad fact the country is facing one of the worst mine problem in the world.

One of the most best holiday I had for a while. If you asked me.. one of the most under rated country in southeast asia. I have friends telling me that place is dirty and too raw for them to visit. My experience with their toilets were better than what I get at China and some places in Malaysia. If we can live through those.. Cambodia is no problem.

I have contacts for driver and guide in Siem Reap and Penh. So if anyone need help to navigate in Cambodia. I will be happy to help!

noxy

ling! thank you so much for the information provided! all in all, its a free and easy trip?

lux

Hi noxy,

Yes, I took free and easy which give us more time to enjoy the holiday I reckon. Cambodia is easy to navigate so you dont really need to go with a tour group. However a guide to the angkor and driver is a must. It make the carvings speak to you when the guide explain. A whole different experience. I stayed near market street and pub street but far enough to not be plagued by noise. Excellent hotel made our trip all the more comfortable esp after treking angkor.

In Penh, You can actually navigate ard with a tuk tuk if you are interested in anycase a car and van rental shouldnt go beyond US$22 and US$25 respectively. Tuk tuk rental for a day can be less than US$10 to up to US$12. All boils down to your neg. skills but we had a really nice tuk tuk driver that we couldnt resist giving him a big tip in the end. However to far out place like Cheong Ek, I would recommend a car/van because of the road condition...

lux

Hi noxy,

Are you asking about the driver and guide in angkor wat? You can contact Phansy at the following email address. [email protected]

Frankly from Phnom Penh I will just get a Tuk tuk driver from the hotel.. I think is more worth it that way. Everything is central in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. I dont have the driver's number at hand now. I will advise later.

Hope you have a good trip!

noxy

Hi Ling,

Thanks! I'm still in the initial planning stage, won't be going over anytime soon, but I've always wanted to go Cambodia.

Thanks for the help Ling!

travelbug

Hi Ling,

I'm planning a trip to Angkor Wat next month too.
Need some advice on hotels. If I'm looking at 4 star hotels at Siem Reap, which ones would you recommend?

Thanks!!

lux

Hi Travelbug,

I stayed at Royal Crown Hotel in Siem Reap. The hotel is a 2 star on the asia room site BUT I think it was more like 4-5 stars in my books! The location is good as only 5 minutes walking distance to pub street and the old market. I search for hotels for a while and find this is one of the besthotel in terms of comfort, location and value. Alternatively you can try Casa Angkor Hotel. Both were my choices until I choose the Royal Crown eventually. I paid ard SGD$50 for 1 nigth stay.

Room was absolutely clean and modern and they have a nice pool for you to soak off the fatigue from Angkor treking! The hotel is probably 4 years old which explains the hotel for being in such immaculate shape.

Have a good Trip!!
Ling

rara

Hi, does anyone know what is the most time-efficient method to get from Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap other than by air, and how long the route will take? Is it a must to stopover or change bus/boat at Phnom Penh?

elly80

HiHi!! I just came back from Siem Reap and would highly recommend to all who will be going to Siem Reap this driver that we have engaged for 3 days to take us around Angkor Wat.

Name: Sun Same
E-mail: [email protected]

He's prompt in response, patient and most importantly, reliable.
happy.gif
Cheers!

marnie

Hi Elly, thanks for the tip on the driver. I booked the hotel which comes in most days with driver thrown in but on the day that we don't have access to free FOC driver, it would help.

I'm so looking to our trip to Siem Reap!

smurfying

Hi Travelbug,
I stayed at Sofitel, it's great although it's a 5-10min drive to the only town/city.

Pls bring more US$1 as u jus can't help giving it to the poor skinny, tanned kids along the way who r desperately selling postcards or some other items like bananas or coke for that US$1.

Oh yes, more sunblock pls.

noxy

agree with what tansy mentioned. It's pretty heart wrenching.

Alternatively, you can change some USD to Rhiels to give to those kids.

For me, I bought candy for them and when you see the smile on their faces, you will just melt.

gerger37

hi all..

i'm also travelling to siem reap in 2 weeks time.. staying at a boutique hotel.. quite near the market place...

kazataza

SunnyDay,

Which hotel are u staying at?
i'm still researching on accomodation...thinking of staying at Steung Siem Reap

gerger37

I'm staying at viroth hotel... nice hotel deco.. n is also v centralised.. somewhere near steung siam reap also...but the hotelroom r taken up v fast cuz there is only a few guestrooms....so u have to book fast...

u can check out this hotel at asiarooms..

smurfying

Hi All, if u're heading for Angkor Wat, a good pair of walking shoes is a must, preferably covered as basically the ground can b quite sandy n if u wanna climb up the temple. I regret jus wearing a pair of sandals, becos of safety reasons i din climb.

Here's something which i feel it's quite necessary to bring:
- good pair of walking shoes
- water
- hankie or tissues (it's really hot)
- hand held mini fan or manual fan
- good camera & extra battery (u jus can't help snapping & snapping)
- shades & caps
- sunblock

noxy

fanfan, here's what you can do:

(1) Get a guide - USD 20 per guide per day (cost can be shared among the pple u are going with)
Contacts: [email protected] (courtesy of Ling, another forumer in SGbrides)

(2) Book a car or a van - USD 20 to 25 per car per day (cost can be shared among the pple u are going with)

(3) Bring mosquito repellent - loads of mosquito there, try buying johnson and johnson baby mosquito lotion (the green bottle, abt $7)

(4) Bring sunblock - the last time i went in July was pretty hot and sunny

(5) Eat at the Red Piano (the best pasta I had, coconut cream with loads of chicken and bacon), eat dessert at Blue pumpkin, have drinks at angkor WHAT. Another place for dinner, can try Dead Fish, very interesting restaurant.

(6) For the places in angkor, the guide will plan for you, they will ask you to get the day passes into angkor, depending on how many days you will be in SR.

A few temples that they will bring you to in Angkor: see http://www.theangkorguide.com/text.htm

(a) Bayon
(b) Ta Prohm - Tomb Raider filmed here
(c) Banteay Srei
(d) Angkor Wat

And many many many more temples to visit. I spent 3 days in Angkor in total on a 3 day pass that cost USD 40.

(7) Try to set one day to go abit further our of angkor, you can try going to Mount Kulen or Kbal Spean

(8) btw, if you get a guide, ask them to buy bottled water for you. They will put it in a cooler box with ice and leave it in the boot of the car. If you buy a 500ml of water on your own, it costs USD 1, but if the guide prepares for you the water, it costs USD 1 for 12 bottles of 500ml water.

(9) There are Cambodians who understand other languages other than Khmer, so if you want to bitch or complain about the place, just be careful as they may understand you.

(10) If you want to buy those t-shirts, they will quote u USD 2 for each t-shirt. The lowest that we've managed to bargain is USD 1 for each t-shirt, so don't think it's a good bargain when they tell you the t-shirts costs only USD 2.

(11) I stayed in Angkorland. Nice hotel, walking distance to the old market. Affordable and nice rooms. Just don't get any hotels that face the Siem River (or something like that). The river murky murky and filthy, not much of river view at all.

(12) Cambodia is nice. You will definitely enjoy it there, food is good (eat at restaurants), shopping at old market is fun if you like to bargain. I went there with a 5 kg luggage and came back with an extra bag an additional 5kg of luggage..hehehehehe

(13) To set your expectations right, the shopping more for pasar malam pattern. Don't expect shopping centers or very quality goods. If you are into hand made bags, silver, handicraft, scarfs, souvenier t-shirts, then you will shop alot.

gerger37

hey.. tansy...is u again.. Happy new yr... read frm the telok blangah thread tt the results is out.. u ballot for TB rite? so manage to get it this time?

kazataza

Hi Sunnday, tansy and noxy

thanks a lot for all your great tips!

one of the guide i'm liaising with (John Teng who's recommended in tripadvisor) suggested seeing sunset at Phnom Bakheng. anyone been there?
is it better to see sunset/sunrise @ Angkor Wat or Phnom Bakheng? read that it gets rather crowded and getting abit worried

noxy, what did u buy back? think i'll do little shopping there so i can save some money to go another trip
happy.gif

SunnyDay,

the hotel your staying looks good. but got to check with my HB he prefers which one
happy.gif

you guys balloting for TB flat?
how much is the price range for the flat huh?

noxy

Fanfan,

I bought like 10 handbags (abt midsize ones with alot of sequins), scarfs many many, Sarong (wrap skirt), magnets ah, keychains for colleagues, bf bought books on the war, alot of rubbish in fact. kekekekekeke, basically 100 USD (or less) settled all my shopping. Don't get your expectation too high, the shopping is for more simple things. From what I heard, bkk shopping is better but more ex.

Just be prepared for more handicraft goods. There's a Vincci which is like same price here so you can give it a total miss.

Is there a ballot now? For 3 rm Tiong Bahru? Just checked the website, it says 130k liddat for 3 rm.

gerger37

noxy: thanks for your comments.. anyway how much u spend for the whole trip? we need to make visa there rite? now usd exchange rate is real good..

fanfan: if u like u have to book early.. cuz 1 month b4 i try to book but is fully book.. cuz they only have 7 guestrooms..

noxy

ops, oh TB is Telok Blangah tot tiong bahru. :p

Sunny, think my costs are as follows (still quite fresh in my memory)

(1) Airfare on Silkair: 267 SGD inc taxes per pax
(2) Hotels: 250 SGD for 4 nights stay at Angkorland (Total cost for 2 pax)
(3) Guide: 20 USD per day x 3 days (total split by 3 of us who went there)
(4) Car: 20 USD per day x 3 days (total split by 3 of us)
(5) Angkor pass: 40 USD for a 3 day pass per pax
(6) Paid extra about 20 USD to go to Mount Kuleh per pax (abt 10 USD for extra distance and another 12 USD for another entrance ticket to Mount Kuleh)
(7) Airport Transfer
- from airport to hotel FOC as we engaged their tour service
- from hotel to airport had to pay, can't remember how much.

heh, so basically, i pre-paid about 400 SGD for hotel (hotel cost 250/2) and flight. (5D4N)

Then brought a total of 300 USD to spend
100 USD on guide, cars, entrance fees
100 USD on good food, drinks, desserts and massaage
100 USD (I didn't exactly finish spending til the last cent :p) on shopping and not forgetting airport tax from Siem Reap Airport.

I didn't make any Visa at all. Dun need leh.

Siem Reap is nice, very laid back. Nice architecture, nice pple and VERY safe.

My grp were amazed that every single corner we turn to, we see a police officer.

You can walk around in groups of gals at night oso no problem one.

gerger37

oh okie.. how many days u stay in siem reap.. u took the 3 days pass to temple rite..

wow.. your air-fares is cheaper than mine.. i also took silk air... but pay 275sgd...

noxy

all 5 days i stayed in Siem Reap, didn't go to any other part of Cambodia

My itinerary:

Day 1, Day 2 Day 3 all Angkor
Day 4, nuah, relax, shop
Day 5 go back to SG

I'm a super laid back traveler, I don't jam pack each and everyday. On the 4th day, my frns even went for a nice morning swim while I rot away in the room.

Oh my god, the more I talk abt Siem Reap the more I think about Red Piano's pasta....I miss the pasta so much, can you all tabao for me? :p

gerger37

hahaha...mine also free n easy 4days 3 nites.. so how's cambodeia food? more like thai food? most of the time u eat in their restaurant? ex or not? n where is this red piano pasta restaurant situated at?

wat r the recommended food there?

noxy

Hi Sunny

Cambodia food is just typical asian food. Alot of curry, but not spicy. Cambodians can't take spice. So i pretty much liked it as I don't take much spice. Not similar to Thai food definitely!

Check out the following site: http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-siemreap-guide-eat.htm

Hehehehe, got map of the food places. Can see Red Piano, Blue Pumpkin, Angkor What on the map.

Local Cambodia Food like Amok (got fish, got chicken, got pork), or u can try some of the grilled beef (found within Angkor Area)

Basically I went to all restaurants for all my meals (unless I'm in Angkor Area). Just wanted to play safe with the food. The price range was about 10 USD for drinks and food per meal.

Restaurants I went: Dead Fish, Red Piano (twice..cos the place is nice, the prawn appetiser there oso nice), Khmer Kitchen (traditional khmer food - very affordable, located in a super small alley just one street behind the street that you can find Red Piano), Amok Restaurant (traditional khmer food - the most expensive of all the places I went)

Most of the food places are near the old market area.

kazataza

wah! my air ticket more expensive..around S$290 after the taxes..think maybe they upped the subcharges...thats y so expensive..

i read rave reviews about Red Piano as well the guidebook that i read recommended it as well.

Sunny, think Singaporeans don't need visa to go Cambodia from what I find out. You can double check.

noxy, did u go and watch those cultural shows?

noxy

Fan Fan,

I didn't go and watch any cultural shows. Didn't bother leh. Every night after we return from Angkor, so hot, sweaty and tired. We just return to hotel wash up, nuah for a few minutes, then we go out for a good dinner and some drinks. (beer is only 0.70 cents (USD) )

I find Red Piano nice bcos I went there with no expectation. Or should I say, I didn't expect much standard on the food in Cambodia. But overall, if I were to go back SR (which I really think I will) I will still go back there and eat the pasta. Sounds weird but true, the best pasta I had was in Cambodia! Ha! Better than the pasta I had in Italy.

By the way, the central market closes very early, about 6pm. So ladies, maybe you should set aside a day to go there and shop. If not, by the time you come back from Angkor, the shops there all close liao.

The Central Market and Old Market's stuff are similar. At night, there is an Angkor night market, but super cannot make it one. Stuff are pretty expensive and nett price.

Oh ya, another itinerary that I went, the floating village, costs USD 12.

Worth going, but very pitiful sight. that's where you see kids selling banana for 1 USD.

kazataza

hi noxy

i also plan to make it a laid back trip and take it ez...don't think i'm going to the floating village cos I'm not really keen in those..more interested in the temples and planning to take some nice pics there if possibe =)

i'm taking the 6pm+ flight back to SG. so I'll most probably spend my last day at the Central Market area..but thanks for the tips..hope i don't burn a hole in my pocket..kekeke

SunnyDay,
I managed to book Viroths thru Asiarooms..only booked it last night near midnight and just gotten the confirmation..so happy..thanks for the good recommendation...do share the review on the hotel when you're back =)

noxy

Fanfan, your welcomed. I think I'm getting all so excited about Siem Reap that i got no mood to work now :p

gerger37

fanfan: oh.. u n your hb decided on viroths? oh okie.. no prob will give u on the review when i'm back.. their services quite good ar.. reply v fast... they got v nice bedrooms ar...
happy.gif

noxy: thanks for your recommendations... make me now also feel tt holiday mood is cuming.. hahaha

gerger37

wah the food looks nice... did u try any streetside stalls?

anyway the restaurant food also not too ex rite..

noxy

The food on the right is Amok, had it at Amok Restaurant.

Restaurant food not too ex. Abt 10+ USD per pax per meal.

Didn't dare to try the street side stalls at all.
There are some street side stalls opp. the red piano but I just didn't dare to eat.

The pic shows a shop at Central market. Expect to see this type of shops. Hope the photos help.

kazataza

noxy,
i'm getting excited as well..haha...trying to decide to just get a driver or driver + guide

think i'll also just eat restaurants if the prices are affordable since don't want to spoil my vacation with a tummyache or food poisoning

SunnyDay
yup..we decided on it to try our luck...since 7 rooms only mah..if get, then fated, if not, then get Steung Siem Reap lor..that's how we decided..heehee
actually their rooms are the same one or different?
i see some people's pics on tripadvisor, the room got jacuzzi?

gerger37

no la dun have leh... but i rem the room is comtemporary style n the bathroom no doors..

i also feel excited... just go change money.. rate not too bad..

kazataza

yah..i read that bathroom no doors as well...
heehee..

noxy
just to check. for restaurants like Piano Bar, do they accept cards or just USD cash?