Branded bags

otelle

Bag lovers

Do you know what are the branded names of bags? I wanted to get a nice one but thought gucci, lv and coach are so common. Everywhere i see people carrying it.

Other than those names mentioned above, i know kate spade, tods, furla. What other brands do you know? Care to share with me.

Thank you

clark

hi going to paris next week, anyone need to buy LV ?? will buy on behalf and charge a small commission fee. let me know

cuclainne

hi otelle, even if those brands are quite common, they do come out with limited edition collections but just be prepared to pay more
happy.gif

violac

hi otelle, it depends on what category of brands you're looking at...

coach is a different class from tod's is a different class from chanel. they target varying classes of women from working class--fashionista--socialite--uber rich

like cuclainne described.. there is a reason why certain brands are common. in order to be different, you just have to go upstream (pay more or go up the scale either way also pay more).

anyway... to add on..

longchamp
agnes b.
jimmy choo
bottega
mulberry
hogan
miu miu
christian dior

why not you walk into those second-hand luxury bag stores? at least you get an idea of what's common and what's not... and you get to see various labels in one location. or spend a few $$ buying Harper's Bazaar magazine or something

sgbabydoll

Otelle, perhaps you would like to try establishing an association with a particular brand or even a few brands, and not merely wanting to own a branded handbag just because every other woman seems to be spotted with one on hand? Do more research and find out more about the "story" behind a brand, founder, designer, concept, etc. Kinda sad to me that women can spend a few thousand dollars on something they do not quite understand.

pinkhippo2002

brands such as LV is popular because everyone recognises a LV bag & knows that you are carrying a branded handbag

defeat the purpose of having a branded bag if it is 'unrecognisable' (not popular), might as well be a $10 bag from pasar malam

hehe, just my 2 cents worth

miloice

well... it depends on the reason you get a branded.

If the purpose to only for the brand to be recognized, then what you said it true.

However, $10 bag doesn't have quality. Some people get these branded for the quality and design too. Not so much on the recognition. Personally, I normally find those designs with huge imprints of the brand loud and ugly. Only a few are done tastefully. Those that I buy for wife and mum doesn't bear a huge logo like a sore thumb but in a more subtle way.

To me, a branded bag must be one that looks so good in that heads will turn and are attracted by the design and its appearance rather than the brand. And only at close look, you realize, its a coach or LV. So, the value isn't really on brand recognition.

sgbabydoll

If just want to be seen carrying a branded handbag, then no need to waste more brain juice but simply grab an LV or Gucci since they are easily recognised brands, judging by the invasion of fakes.

For me, I associate with Che Che New York for some reasons. Although this is not a branded product, I have received far more compliments and questions on where to buy, compared to the Gucci handbag I used to use.

pinkhippo2002

if purely for quality or design, don't have to blow $3K on a handbag.

Some brands (to cite one: braun buffel) are of good quality with great design, won't cause a dent in pocket. $200 you can get a very nice handbag that last for years

branding is the sole reason why someone is willing spends $3K or even $34K on a handbag. Branding is considered an asset in a balance sheet. The value of branding is the reason why some handbag costs so much, because consumers want to assoicate with that brand

Hence, the more expensive the better. Consumers want to assoicate with a expensive brand as a differenitation from the 'general public'

cloudyskies

I used to like Coach but it seems like nowadays everyone is carrying it, selling it...god knows what with it..until it's become so 'cheap', don't you think?

hurt2x

heard more Coach imitation handbags have come into the mkt. like some say here, it is easily seen on any ladies.

plus, with the USD exchange rate depreciating against S$, those who went to States, esp ladies, will grab a few Coach back. Very cheap!!

Imagine a wallet costs S$400++, in States, only at USD168/-. My friend's friend bght 20 items from States !

miloice

braun buffel quality not as durable for me. My Goldlion wallet is cheaper and tougher. I'm sticking to this 'uncle' brand simply because its more practical and yet nice in design.

I don't believe in getting a bag at $3-4k too. I bought them from France. It was possible to get a good LV bag between SDG1-2k range. I have switched from LV to Coach because the pricing have went so high that its crazy. The LV same bag I bought 1 yr ago in Paris was retailing below 900 euros, Now, its more over 1k euros. Not forgetting the euro is even stronger today against the SGD.

cloudyskies

Otello,

May I know if you need this bag for...

1) Daily use or for evening only?

2) If it's a day-to-day bag, will you be carrying much stuff in it?

From experience, I've bought bags which are far too small. I have this LV bag that I barely use because it's simply too small for the amount of junk I have to lug around daily. I don't know about you but I need to carry my wallet, hp, keys, umbrella, organiser, make-up bag...etc...see what I mean? I realise that now and only shop for medium sized bags. Smaller bags can just be admired from afar coz they're not for me. This is of course for day bags. Evening bags can still remain small and dandy. =)

violac

a keen-eyed follower of Coach can tell the diff between real and fake lah.... but yah, it's becoming too common. Kate Spade is just starting to pick up, very soon it will become another common label.

if you want longer-lasting bags, buy leather instead of the monogrammed jacquard fabrics ( = pay more again).

another one i know for quality leather goods is Mandarina Duck. i first heard of it in 1999 and until now i still don't see many people with it... my husband's document bag from 2002 until now... never ever had mould even when stored away for a while

lyndy

LV should increase their base price.
Why do some women think they can get away with a sloppy outfit just by carrying an LV bag?

loose-fitting t shirt, berms, slippers + LV bag = a common sight

mayimayi

why shld woman carrying LV be spotted in a glam sight? 0_o
in my view, as long as the woman is comfortable with her own outfit, who cares? =P
some are just not apt at looking good i guess..

miloice

"Why do some women think they can get away with a sloppy outfit just by carrying an LV bag?"

What get away? Its like saying what do some people think they can get away with a sloppy outfit and physique by driving a merc or BMW. Come on loh. Its other's money and fashion sense. Its up to them how they want it.

powder

lyndy, u want LV to be 10k-20k range?

by the way, some pple wear t-shirt, bermudas, slippers and wear a 30k watch...

cos the 30k watch is just another watch...

why must wear a 30k watch or carry a 3k bag And end up having to dress for the watch/bag. so it depends on which side u're on. personally i dress for myself.

violac

i dun think lyndy has very deep underlying meanings behind her statement lah..

the things u guys mentioned like cars and watches are practical stuff. she probably just means it looks SALAH from fashion point of view... and notice the word used was 'sloppy' and not just casual as what u guys probably mean when u wear t-shirt and berms.

as i work in raffles place area and had been leaving my car at home and take a MRT to work cos my office just on top of the station .

2 yrs ago,my MIL gave me a hermes birkin handbag that she bot quite some yrs back but rarely use and price is less than 10k many yrs back

it is a very beautiful handbag but i can only leave it at home to admire cos i m not the rich n famous n i m afraid to invite gossip in office n feel pp will think that its fake since i m taking a MRT n pp sure think why u take MRT when u can afford a hermes

i dunno if i hold the right feeling but i do feel that the handbag you carry also in a way should match up to your social statues

LV has been increasing price cos they feel it is not expensive (high end) enuf as ultimately many pp can still afford it, as u can c many maids carry LV as well

miloice

Hi Piggy,

I can't help but feel your feelings are self-imposed.

What status? Do you live a life to justify how others sees it? So what if someone thinks it fake? This is ridiculous loh, you have an expensive bag collecting dust at home because you feel your social status matches it?

Where is your self-confidence and believe? Does it matter what others believe? Frankly, you have no control over others minds, and living a life in fear of what others think is simply self restricting.

Pardon my frankness but what is it with this self-imposed restrictions? Its your cash, your life, how you want to spend it, you answer to yourself and spouse.

otelle

I prefer big bags where i can bring lots of stuff along with me wherever i go. I am not looking at specific evening bag or shopping bag. Coach is a nice brand but too many people are carrying it now. Imagine it was long queue to get into coach boutique over weekends when they are having 30% sale. Real good bargain.

Kate spade is nice but some design can be quite auntie.... my 2 cents opinion.

If you dress abit classy, even the fake bag can make you look elegant. Its how you carry yourself...

kurera

sasa BB yeah..kate spade is in now..but than the colours can be bright and not suitable for office.

Otelle not so auntie la..big bags also can be auntie le...;p but i do agree it's how you carry yourself, a twenty plus bag can make one elegant too.

But I am against replica/NA for sure..and I am craz for bags..be it branded or not branded...in the market there are real nice medium size bags which can house you essential stuff for work.

Far east have very nice bags as well....
happy.gif
*wink*

vivaliciousviv

<font color="0000ff">i juz gt one in Sep and i felt it's lovely in design, size, material, reaLLy worth investing! =D</font>

i also have Hots for Salvatore Ferragamo. =D

cuclainne

i bought a lovely Kate Spade early in the year and used for it for the first time when i went to Cebu in August. The first night, i was moving some stuff around on the table when i realised a scratch on the bag - so sad! it was in perfect condition when i bought it so i know that it must have happened when i put the bag underneath the seat in front of me in the plane. it could have been me or the husband who did it .. luckily it's on the side that's closest to the body when carried so no one can see ..

kessie83

Burberry Blue/Black Label Summer Edition from Japan is nice and cheaper compared to Burberry London Series. But its getting more and more common esp in the Raffles Place area.

LV is nice, depending on the range. Monogram pattern are more commonly seen, carried by people from all walks of life. I would prefer Damier Graphite range
happy.gif

Chanel is nice too...

veryboring

How about a $5k plus LV small handbag? Consider affordable? I saw 1 middle age auntie bought it. So much spare cash to spend despite economic recession.

kessie83

middle age auntie might have more money in her bank than a working class lady lo... i think LV small handbag wont cost over $5k plus ba, i am not too sure, unless its the limited edition right? if they like it, why not? she cant possibly bring the money into her grave also..

miloice

its others money. r u green eye over it?
The way that you are describing seems to indicate so.

supergal

i also like LV damier canvas range..alma or speedy..nice!

but now i feel LV very common liao leh..sometimes feel Loewe may be a better investment..haha

katespader

Hi all,

I also think Kate Spade is worth buying. I owe a few KS bags and they are very durable. But buying in Singapore is too ex.

Mine all from HK and USA. I like those bright colours one. ;p

vivaliciousviv

<font color="aa00aa"> i juz gt a Kate Spade bag in Sep and today i discover my bottom leather base area was accidentally scratched! OUCH! haaa, i also went SPOTLIGHT to buy FABRIC PROTECTOR, tt i will spray on those fabric bags then wait for 6hrs to dry, the it may help prevent stains, etc... LOL KS they have lovely designs, spacious, colorful and i felt very durable. =D</font>

<font color="ff0000">i saw and aimed for CHANEL, MIU MIU but their price tags i still not comfortable to pay le, over $2K for those i saw n liked, haiz..need to earn more $$$ but on the other hand, a good bag doesnt mean = DESIGNER...think abt it... =D</font>

kate101

Yes...totally agree with vivian. I think kate spade in terms of quality and price is very worth it. I will nt spend 2k on a LV bag..cos its too pricy for me......so it all depends on yr budget ;p

vivaliciousviv

~~Otella
<font color="0000ff">hmmm..hunting big bags? i saw my close gf carried a GUCCI i think cost ard $500-$600 tt her bf bought for her to skoOL and shopping, the large canvas tote bag, i think is quite common lo..LOL or the LV neverfull bag, tt she also gt. wah....she really spend alot on these stuff..LOL...

i guess u need to knw ur budget, hw much u r willing to pay for XXX size bag, wat brands u prefer, go and see, carry n check ursef in the mirror, but note dwn the flaws of the bag, etc: "any zipper closure? maintenance? wear n tear durability?? etc etc...."
i have a few canvas based bags (COACH, GUCCI) tht have signs of wear n tears and it kinda makes me gloomy, LOL....those leather ones (FERRAGAMO, LV) tends to last longer and i felt, better investment. =D</font>

BTW, today i went Taka and saw some roomy bags like AGNES B (japan brand, but nylon, PVC), Long Champ, some other brands like PIERRE CARDIN, GL, Bonia, and i saw ROccoBarocco!! and Pari Hilton colorful designs bag at really affordable prices!! Feel free to check them out!!

flipflop13

I like the good old Coach bag...they are pretty classic and timeless in designs....But having said that, not all highly priced bags look good on the 'carrier'...Even an Authentic LV will look like a pasar malan spin-off on certain people...rather I will choose a bag that I like and feel comfortable when Iset eyes on it...I go also for practicality...whether I need a small or big bag...I also look for quality..and whether it's within my budget

mayimayi

"saw some roomy bags like AGNES B (japan brand, but nylon, PVC), "

i dun think Agnes B is a japan brand.

i have bought one Agnes B myself as i like it that there are few compartments in it and helped me to stay organise within the bag itself. but it suxs when i see imitations around. >.<

veryboring

Powderfula, I just knew it. U still see no open from that previous post that i made regards to wedding thing. Hahaha.. Never mind its ok. There are different type of people in this world. This is just a forum and you need not take it too hard on what people post.

veryboring

Oh ya also please don't haunt me like a mosquito can? Else i going to buy a mosquito repellent soon. Or mosquito coil you prefer which?