Bookclub - what are you reading?

man_tou_bear

Alhana, went to look for George R.R. Martin in the lib but they only got Book 2 and 3. I think i will head on down to Sunny to get them...

Somebody mentioned VC Andrews? I read the Flowers in the Attic series, think the first 2 books only and was sick to the core. Sorry ah.. me no strong stomach for incestous stuff.. made me feel like puking!

Just grabbed another Feist book and was up till 1am reading it.. >panda Bear<

alhana

Hi Bear

Ahh..such a pity that they only hv books 2 &amp; 3. That's one reason y I seldom, if never, borrow books from the library. We usually just rent/buy from San
happy.gif

Heh..yup, the incest themes are definitely not for everyone. I think Flowers is the worst coz it's between brother and sister. Makes me wonder what kinda life VC Andrews led to be writing books with incest as the main theme...all her books are the same!

Hi sakurasan

Oh yeah..Wickham is such a jerk. The guy who played him in the mini series does play the part well..although I wouldn't say that he is handsome..he does look like a lout. My fave scene is where Eliza is in Pemberly, and she and Darcy locked eyes across the room while she was helping Georgiana at the piano.

I like Keira Knightley too. Alot of P&amp;P fans said that she was too thin to play Eliza though..Eliza was supposed to be this healthy looking robust girl. heh. well, I guess it's gonna be hard to top the miniseries coz the movie wld have to capture the essence of the book in only 2 hrs..whereas the mini series is 6 hrs long. Did you read/watch sense &amp; sensibility too? Another Austen favourite of mine. Now, that movie was good. So I guess a good P&amp;P movie is possible.

As for now, I'm re-reading the 5th HP book, since the 6th is coming out in 2 weeks. Have totally forgotten the story coz I only read it once (didn't really like it). Thought I'd refresh my memory, and see if the book improves on a second reading.

binbin

I bought Pride and Prejudice during the NLB sale early this yr.
happy.gif
heard so much about it, have not got around to reading it coz i bought many books during that trip. finished those from anne rice first. oh my, Keira Knightley is acting as Eliza? i like her so much! watched her first time in King Arthur, then Love Actually, then realised she acted in Bend it like Beckham too.
happy.gif
Any idea when the show is screening? perhaps she will put on weight to look more like the character, just like the girl for bridget jones.

I read Flowers in the Attic too, and i remember the theme of the book. well....hmmm... quite disturbing, probably thats why i did not get any more of her books after that.....but i must admit the book is an engaging read, makes you feel for the siblings and how their life will turn out.

alhana, one of my fav was also If Tomorrow Comes by Sheldon. i read it 3 times i think, and never got tired of it. hey, when is National Geographic showing the da vinci code theories??? do you know?

avid_reader, watched LOST last night hehehee....so u can discuss the spoilers now....
happy.gif
really eerie, did u notice when they show the father from the backview, he's slight hunched. somehow that stance brings chills to me.....esp now that we know where he came from.

avid_reader

Hi good morning ladies!!

Levynn, yes some of the Charles de Lint books are found under the young adults fiction as they are about delinquents. Usually I search the NLB website for the books I want before heading to the library or I would rather reserve the book online first.

Sakurasan, haha, just like Alhana, I cannot really remember Wild Swans’ story now. Read too many “China books” and got confused!
happy.gif

Guess I’m not the only one who like Pride &amp; Prejudice! That is one great Classic! During school days, my friends &amp; I would usually use “Mr Darcy” as our code word to refer to charming/good looking guys!
happy.gif
Another great Classic that I love is Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

Binbin, about Lost, it seems that the island has a special healing effect which can bring even the dead back to life? Or maybe that's just a ghost? Remember Locke was able to walk after he landed on the island after the crash? Anyway, I was spooked by the number of dolls lying about near the coffin as well….. never into dolls anyway!!

alhana

Hi BinBin

I watched the Da Vinci docu on Fri nite. They usually have repeats on cable, so you may wanna check the program schedule to see when they're gonna show it again. It's quite interesting..they interviewed Dan Brown, the author of Holy Blood, Holy Grail (Henry Lincoln), and other historians, clergymen etc...the people either supported or debunked the theories raised in the book.

As for Keira, don't think she gained wt for the role. I saw some movie stills of her and she looked pretty much the same :p No idea what Darcy looks like...but he has big shoes (ie Colin Firth's) to fill.

sakurasan

Alhana, I watched Sense and Sensibility too! But I think I liked Emma better. I was crazy abt Emma for a period of time, watching it every weekend. Jeremy Northam looked absolutely dashing in the movie as Mr Knightley.

avid_reader I have been using "Darcy" as my userID for alot of stuff!
happy.gif

binbin

helo avid reader, yes the island has a healing effect, so i think the dad walking was real and not an illusion. hubby also said the dad seemed to be leading jack to the source of fountain water... somehow, thinking that he came alive after reaching the island is a bit unreal....? yep i rem the issue of locke's legs. amazing.... i din dare to see too much of the scene with the dolls, most of my vision is covered by cushions i held to my face hehehe.. :p

alhana

Hi sakurasan,

I nvr watched Emma, although I was tempted to get the book. Funny y I've nvr watched it, seeing that I like Gwyneth Paltrow. Will rent the DVD one of these days. I love S&amp;S! Hv the DVD too and watched it so many times. Am a big fan of Alan Rickman, and he played Colonel Brandon so well. In fact, everyone was perfect in their roles. Amazing that such a famous English classic was directed by a Chinese..Lee Ang

Hi Binbin / Avid

I don't think his dad is alive. I say Jack is seeing things..perhaps his guilt over his relationship with his father, plus post-traumatic stress, tiredness etc is making him hallucinate. That said, there is something strange going on the island...really wonder what's the secret behind it. Since there's a season 2, i doubt we will know much by the end of this season! Well, with JJ Abrams you'll nvr know (if you watch Alias you'll see that 'dead' people always turn up alive somehow :p) Still, him being really alive is abit of a stretch. Healing is one thing...resurrecting the dead?? Scary. Then what abt all the other dead passengers?

avid_reader

Binbin, yeah in a way his dad has indirectly led Jack to the source of the fountain water. But Jack almost died jumping off the cliff while chasing after him right?

Alhana, my hubby thinks that Jack's dad is just a ghost (probably 'cos he is a fan of Six Feet Under!) and the monster took away the body from the coffin. He also mentioned that so far Locke &amp; Jack have emerged from the forest and getting a closure on things.

sakurasan

Hi Ladies

I've not been following Lost regularly; and everyone tells me it's such a great show
sad.gif
Oh well, I better remember to watch it this Thurs. I like the female fugitive - she looks good!
happy.gif

alhana, you MUST watch Emma! I watched it three times at the cinema and countless times on DVD...*drool* Gywneth looked very good in the movie and she had so much chemistry with Jeremy Northam onscreen. Toni Collette was in it too! After reading your last posting, I went to re-watch P&amp;P again...fast-forward to the piano scene!

binbin

hi alhana, i agree with u if jack's dad is alive its too far stretch? thats why i said it feels a bit unreal. i was guessing the island made him able to get up to walk, but he is not really alive....u know what i mean? but then again, so many times he dissappeared...so u may be right that its still an illusion. eeeee....now that u mention it, yah hor, what abt the rest of the passengers? avid reader, yep ur hubby very sharp. its true both of them got into the forest and had some life-changing experience....

sakurasan, i find kate pretty too!
happy.gif
she looks good even with her hair messy and oily. all of them are supposed to be messy and unwashed, but even Claire (the preggie girl) looks so sweet.
happy.gif
i was imaging the make-up crew moving in on them every NG and ruffling their hair, touching up their faces with just bare-there powder hehehee...

binbin

oh by the way i managed to borrow The Dreaming Place last night at our lib. can't find Dreams Underfoot though. its a nice read so far!
happy.gif
thanks avid_reader!
happy.gif
11 days and counting down!!! *jumping up and down*

sakurasan

binbin Kate has got a very wholesome, healthy look. I can't remember how the preggie woman looked like. Shall remember to watch tom nite!
happy.gif
It's finally mid-week again!

levynn

i checked the library catalogue... it says that "dreams underfoot" is not available for loan yet. in fact, quite a number of his books r also not for loan yet...

avid_reader

Binbin, Levynn, The Dreaming Place is one of his early books. I don't quite remember what it is about now.. is it set in Newford? If it is, it's good book to start with cos you will soon be familiar with the characters who moved in and out most of his other books as well.

Levynn, try this other short stories series:

Title Waifs and strays / Charles De Lint ; preface by Terri Windling.
Author De Lint, Charles, 1951-
Publisher New York : Viking, 2002.
Physical Description xviii, 394 p.
Notes Chiefly a collection of previously published (1986-2001) stories.
Contents Merlin dreams in the Moondream Wood -- There's no such thing -- Sisters -- Fairy dust -- A wish named Arnold -- Wooden bones -- The graceless child -- A tattoo on her heart -- Stick -- May this be your last sorrow -- One Chance -- Alone -- But for the grace go I -- Ghosts of wind and shadow -- Waifs and strays -- Somewhere in my mind there is a painting box.
Subjects Supernatural Fiction.
Supernatural Fiction.
Short stories.

Where to find it
Branch Location Date Call Number Status
Ang Mo Kio Community Library Y 23-07-05 English DEL On Loan
Ang Mo Kio Community Library Y 24-06-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Bedok Community Library Y 07-07-05 English DEL On Loan
Bedok Community Library Y 22-07-05 English DEL On Loan
Bukit Batok Community Library Y 29-12-04 English DEL Not on Loan
Bukit Batok Community Library Y 17-06-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Bukit Merah Community Library Y 24-07-05 English DEL On Loan
Bukit Merah Community Library Y 26-04-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Bukit Panjang Community Library Y 13-03-04 English DEL Trace Placed
Cheng San Community Library Y 20-05-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Choa Chu Kang Community Library Y 13-08-04 English DEL Not on Loan
Choa Chu Kang Community Library Y 02-08-04 English DEL Not on Loan
Geylang East Community Library Y 27-05-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Jurong Regional Library Y 27-07-05 English DEL On Loan
Jurong Regional Library Y 04-12-04 English DEL Not on Loan
Jurong West Community Library Y 30-04-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Marine Parade Community Library Y 01-06-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Sembawang Community Library Y 06-07-05 English DEL On Loan
Sembawang Community Library Y 03-07-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Tampines Regional Library Y 13-07-05 English DEL On Loan
Tampines Regional Library Y 13-07-04 English DEL Not on Loan
Toa Payoh Community Library Y 26-03-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Toa Payoh Community Library Y 11-04-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Woodlands Regional Library Y 29-06-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Yishun Community Library Y 02-02-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Pasir Ris Community Library Y 05-03-05 English DEL Not on Loan
Sengkang Community Library Y 28-06-05 English DEL Not on Loan

binbin

helo Avid! i can't find tis book in the BP lib. under your list, it says Trace Placed. any idea what that means? its def not on the shelves. on the shelves i can only find the Wolf something and the Blue Girl. Dreaming place is in NOrth America, but din see mention of the town yet.
happy.gif

levynn

hi avid...
thanks for the info. actually "waifs n strays" can b found in sengkang library. it's a hardcover book. "the dreaming place" is abt a witch trying to keep herself alive by putting the girl's spirit into different animals.

levynn

for those nora roberts fans...
her second book to the garden trilogy is out... "black rose".
but seems like it's all out on loan in the libraries already...

binbin

Helo helo avid. i finished the Dreaming Place oredi.
happy.gif
nice book. actually the witch is putting the girl spirit into diff animals' body becoz she want the girl to find her own totem (animal that she is symbolic of). in the spiritual world, finding their own totem is equivalent to maturing. only when the girl is matured can the witch take her.

avid_reader

Levynn,
Yeah I hate hardcover books.. so heavy. But some of the stories are really good. Have you gotten back The Dreaming Place from your sis yet?
happy.gif

Binbin,
OK now I remember. Comparing to his other books, frankly The Dreaming Place is not as good. I'm running out of books to read.. reading magazines instead. One more week to go!
happy.gif

Alhana, it's Thursday again! Can get "lost" again... hehee

levynn

avid...
i've finished "the dreaming place" already. it's quite interesting. i always got this,i dunno, habit or wat... after i read a story, the characters will stay wif me a while. so these few days, whenever i see dogs or cats... will start wondering... magic in the trees also... haha...

sakurasan...
me finishing the book. talk to u abt it soon...
happy.gif

man_tou_bear

Alhana! I managed to get George Martin's first book!!! Yay! The lady from Sunny said that there isn't anymore stock, but managed to dig one book out for me!! It is sitting infront of me right now!! can't wait to sink my claws in it.

Ppl! another 8 more days to Potter!!!

avid_reader

Yes Levynn I get what you mean. Magic in the trees.... hhahahaa..
happy.gif

Found out the correct sequence (a guide) to read Charles de Lint books from his website:

"Where do I start reading the Newford stories?

The books have all been written in such a way that you should be able to pick up any one and get a full and complete story. However, characters do reoccur, off center stage as it were, and their stories do follow a sequence. The best place to start is the collection Dreams Underfoot. From there they go pretty much in this order:

The Dreaming Place
A Whisper To A Scream (originally credited to "Samuel M. Key")
I'll Be Watching You (originally credited to "Samuel M. Key")
Memory And Dream
The Ivory And The Horn
Trader
Someplace To Be Flying
Moonlight And Vines
Forests Of The Heart
The Onion Girl
Seven Wild Sisters (also available in Tapping the Dream Tree)
Tapping the Dream Tree
Spirits in the Wires
Medicine Road
The Blue Girl (forthcoming from Viking)

The Dreaming Place and The Blue Girl are Young Adult novels. A Whisper To A Scream and I'll Be Watching You are, respectively, a horror novel and a thriller; they're darker fare than the other Newford books and aren't really that integral to the underlying, ongoing backstory that takes off center stage in so many of the books and stories."

Yes, counting down to Potter!!!
happy.gif

alhana

That's great news Bear! Let me know how you find the first couple of chapters. The prologue is already excellent...scary and riveting.

I'm re-reading Harry Potter 5 now...argh..it's taking me so long to read it. Now I remember why I nvr wanted to re-read it after the first time..Harry's pretty annoying in this book. I understand his anger etc..but it just doesn't make for pleasant reading. Oh well, with the story becoming darker as each book comes out, I guess there's no helping that.

levynn

hi avid...
thanks for the list.
happy.gif
hopefully can have time to go to sans to look for the book. the one at millenia walk has run out of his books...

man_tou_bear

Alhana! Agree! the 5th Potter book is the one i dislike most. The story is rather repetetive of Harry's anger, making him seem like a spoilt brat! read liao also tired... I dun like the ending too. leaves so many unanswered questions! Don't like the way she tries to explain Sirius death.

I m trying to sneak a few chapters of Games of the Thrones at work, but have no chance cos i m so busy!

alhana

Hi levynn

Hey you go to San at Millenia too? The lady boss is very nice..if she can't find a book we want, she'll usually call up the other branches for us to check if a particular book has stock. If they're all out, she'll place an order for us.

Hi Bear

Yeah, it's tough reading him seeth and rage at everything and everyone. Well, I know teenagers are supposed to be angst-ridden and angry..but yuck...that's not something I'd wanna read abt. I hope the 6th book will be better, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. That way, I won't set myself up for too much disappointment :p

I envy you! You get to experience A Game of Thrones for the very first time...don't you just love the moment when you start reading a book, and you realise that you are holding on to a very fine piece of work? That's how I felt w his books..i was so sad to finish reading them! I've just re-read the 3 books in anticipation of the release of the 4th book later this year..OMG, it improves on the re-read. Will tell you more once you've started on them..of coz, don't worry..I won't give spoilers :p And you'll appreciate that coz there are lotsa twists and turns, and shocking stuff that happens in his books.

levynn

hi alhana...
the bookshop used to b in suntec, rite?? couldn't find it in millenia that day... ended up asking the info counter. anyway, she offered to call up n ask for me, but i told her no need as i'll go down n look ard for the books myself. btw, need any extra charges if we place orders??

alhana

Hi levynn

Yup, it used to be in Suntec. We didn't know they moved to Millenia until a friend told us. Thought they just closed down. Yah, it is abit hard to find.

No..she doesn't charge for orders. Once, she even got us the wrong book (our fault..we gave her the wrong title). We weren't made to buy it. She just kept it for other people to buy/rent

For those who don't know where San has moved to, it is now between the food court and one of the entrances to Harvey Norman. There's a small alleyway that connects Harvey Norman to the foodcourt, and San is along that alleyway. According to the lady boss, they may shift to Marina Square after all the reno work is done. Not confirmed though..that's what she told us a few mths back.

man_tou_bear

Yups Alhana, i just managed to read the first page... seems scary! heehee.. i know what u mean abt loving the moment when u start a new book. In fact i was rather excited on Wed nite cos i knew i was going to get the books on thurs!

Fingers cross for Potter no 6!

binbin

helo bear and alhana, george martin...oh dear the way u guys described it made me want grab one to see what you mean. But i have to CONTROL!!! coz HP #6 will be out in 7 days time! control control....

avid, u listed down all the books, so where does Waifs and strays come in?

oh yah that time i tried going Sans in plaza singapura to find charles de lint, but can't find. they said millenia is the biggest now, so highest chance have it there...

alhana

Hi Bin

Ehh....GRRM (George Martin) is definitely a much better read than HP. If both books were to come out at the same time, there's no qns which I wld read first. Well, you can always try it out after reading HP6
happy.gif

San in Millenia is the biggest? Wow..they already seem smaller compared to when they were in Suntec. There's also one in Funan I think..but not sure how big that one is.

Hi Bear

Made any progress in the book? I'm still less than a third into HP5, and HP6 is already coming out soon :p Eh..I usually read quite fast, unless I don't enjoy the book. Sighhh...yup, like you said..fingers crossed!

levynn

huh... millenia one is big?? it's small compared to the previous suntec one. the one in funan is bigger than millenia one.

avid_reader

Hi Binbin

The listing above is his books that are set in Newford. It doesn't include his other books. Anyway Waifs &amp; Strays is a collection of short stories.. doesn't matter the sequence.
happy.gif

Am re-reading 5th harry potter too.
happy.gif

avid_reader

Hi all

No books to read again. Couldn't even finish re-reading the 5th harry potter. Honestly the book does get a bit too draggy. Only managed a few pages every nite cos it has this putting me to sleep quickly effect! My hubby's copy of Harvard Biz Review is more entertaining!! :p

bin

hi all!
Wld like to recommend The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, a fiction story, with an autistic teenager as the main character.

Another good read is C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, children's book, 7 books in the collection. Personally, I prefer this to Harry Potter. There's a flim based on one of the books which will be released year end.

alhana

Hi avid

Heh..you feel the same way too huh. I'm still less than halfway thru the book. Honestly, everything in there is so unpleasant that I just wanna stop reading. That woman Umbridge is already making me wanna hurl the book away!! Gee..I doubt I can finish it by the time book 6 arrives. And to be honest, even as I'm re-reading book 5 now, i can't for the life of me remember what happens in the book..except for the ending when there's some big fight and someone dies.

Bin

You can also try the books by Philip Pullman if you like good children's books. The author is kinda anti-Narnia though. His books are controversial, and highly acclaimed. I don't think it should be for kids actually..the story is rather deep, dark and scary. Young adults perhaps. The books are referred to as 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. It consists of three books: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. Like Narnia, I believe the books have been option and the movie is in the works.

As for other children's books, I am very fond of works by John Bellairs. His books are gothic horror, and his earlier works were pretty scary. Not the 'boo!' kinda scary...the sort that gives you goosebumps and makes your hair stand on end. I've re-read them so many times I've lost count.

Anyone a fan of Tintin comics? Or Asterix? Grew up on those, and Archie of coz. Also love Calvin &amp; Hobbes.

avid_reader

Alhana

I gave up reading already. I only managed about one third of it. I don't quite remember what happens in the book as well. But I certainly don't remember feeling so bored the first time I read it! hhmmm... I hope book 6 is good. Shall refer to book 5 while reading book 6 to refresh my memory. Re-reading book 5 seems a chore (though I enjoyed re-reading book 1-4)!

levynn

alhana...
i also loved to read tintin, asterix n archie. but my fav is asterix... hmmm... wonder if they stil have it ard... suddenly feel like reading them again...
happy.gif

alhana

hi levynn

Yup, can still find them ard...San has them..and so do all the major bookstores. Now they even sell those 3-in-1 versions. Obelix and his wild boars! hehehe. I have the entire Tintin collection, but not Asterix..should try to get that complete set.

levynn

sakurasan...
i've finished "black rose" too. but so far, no special preference betw this n "blue dahlia". anyway... can't wait for hayley's n harper's story...
happy.gif

man_tou_bear

Hi gals,

Alhana, wah the book by George Martin is hard to read man. so many characters.. and the story doesn't seem to lead anywhere... each time it comes to an exciting part, he will jump onto the next chapter... me getting irritated liao... heehee.. taking a bit longer than i usually do to finish the book! nonetheless, it is very colourful... makes me feel as if i m in Winterfell.

2 more days to Potter!

alhana

Hi Bear

Heh..yup, each chapter is seen from the POV (point of view) of different major characters, and yeah, I can understand how frustrating it is coz each chapter ends on a sorta cliff hanger! But the great thing is, every chapter is well written, although I do have preference for certain characters, like Arya, Tyrion &amp; Jon. Eddard's chapters are very good too. How far along are you? Once they reach King's Landing, the pace will be even faster as Eddard tries to unravel what happened to his friend Jon Arryn. I was also eager to find out what happened, but you'll know only twds the end of the book. Alot of cover ups and red herrings.

See what I mean about it making Dragonlance seem so much more simplistic? GRRM's plot is really complex.

man_tou_bear

Alhana just saw ur posts.

I am just after Tyrion leaving the Eyrie and meeting those mountain men. So hard to read. Ya it makes D&amp;D seem like PEANUTS. hahaha... hot word this few days right? But i m enjoying it, especially the description Martin paints. Though it can be frustrating waiting for the next time the characters appear again. I like the same fellas as u, Aryn, Jon and Tyrion. I like Bran too. Noticed that Robb doesn't have a chapter on his own.. I dislike Sansa already. Is Tyrion a gd fella or not?

Bin Bin, pick this series up after HP. i think its in a totally different world from HP and D&amp;D!

alhana

Hi Bear

I should not tell you too much lest it spoils the story for you. What I can tell you is...I love Tyrion Lannister. He is funny, yet tragic. He seems to be the only Lannister with a conscience and heart. I hate Cersei &amp; Tywin, and you will see why later. They seem to have no love for Tyrion at all.

Ahh..Sansa. After reading 3 books, I STILL can't stand her :p She seems the weakest of the Starks so far. But I have a feeling that she will emerge strong at the end..lest I hope so. Arya is cool, isn't she? She is one tough kid. I guess you have met Catelyn's sister Lyssa? She's a whacko! Who else do I hate..oh yeah..Viserys. Another nutjob.

I think I am more frustrated as you, coz his 4th book took him 5 years to complete! It's coming out this Nov. The fans are all scared that he will die before the series finishes :p BUt the good news is the 5th book should be out sometime next yr, or the year after. There will be 7 in the series. Can't wait for the 4th's release!

Ooh..HP out tdy. Guess what..I managed to finish reading Order of the Phoenix late last nite. I just HAD to finish it to refresh my memory. Seemed to be easier to read after the halfway point. Is anyone starting a spoiler thread so that we can discuss Book 6?

man_tou_bear

Haha Alhana, I like Tyrion too. A bit eccentric but as u said he has a conscience. I like the gal Dany too. I wished u gave me some spoilers! cos the book is really hard to read man! i finish HP in a day but haven't finished the first GRRM book!! so irritating! but the gd thing is that my FH loves the book... says its more mature than the trash i normally read.

What happens to Dany and the baby? any dragons?? i like dragons....