Bookclub - what are you reading?

avid_reader

I'm currently reading Paulo Coelho's "Veronika Decides to Die". Depressing title but surprisely a very uplifting read so far. Most people are more familiar with his other book - "The Alchemist".

What are you reading right now?

man_tou_bear

Hey! just finish re-reading Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga... Fell in love with his first book, Magician. His books are full of colourful characters and amazing description of various worlds.

Ppl who like fanstasy this is one author I recommend!

Otherwise i have been whiling away my time reading chick flicks... yes i know it very unintelligent, but it occupies my time... Gd authors are Cathy Kelly, Mariam Keyes and and Shelia O'Flanagan.

binbin

helo avid, just replied u in the other thread. have heard of The Alchemist. me just cut and paste my previous posting here.
happy.gif

i am reading the book "the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime" by mark haddon. its abt an autistic child who went through a few life-defining events...its quite interesting narration by a 1st person perspective. one book that i really like is the book called The White Horse or something like that, by an Elizebeth something. the book was recommended by JK Rowling! i quite like it....lovely..... and also the classic The Secret Garden. heard of it before?

avid_reader

Hi Bear

Thanks for recommedation. I'll go on Amazon to check out the books you mentioned. I'm into fantasy books as well.. urban fantasy books in particular, by this Canadian author, Charles de Lint.

haha.. have read MOST if not all, the books by Cathy Kelly, Marian Keyes and Shelia O'Flanagan! They are all Irish authors. I've also read most books by Maeve Binchy (another Irish author).

Hi Binbin, I tried to read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" but somehow it does not catch my attention. Maybe I should go try to read it. The book's on the "TO-READ list" of the current NLB "Read Singapore" campaign. I guess it should be quite good. Yes I've heard of the classic "The Secret Garden" but have not read it. I remember when I was in pri school, my sis used to bug me to read the book but I never got round to reading it. It's about the friendship of a boy & a girl right?

I also like books by Jostein Gaarder - all time fav book --> "The Solitaire Mystery". And there's a book which I read on a yearly basis -- The Little Prince. Cos each time I read it, it's a totally different feeling. Love the book!

man_tou_bear

Avid reader, what's urban fantasy? i like the dragons and magic kinda fantasy.. cos i think its not something i will ever see so i tend to read things are i never see daily. Another gd range of books is the Dragonlance Series by Tracy Hickman and Margeret Weis. However this set of books are not found in the lib... Must go to Sunny bookstore....

Otherwise i m currently into crime novels. Like a couple of authors like Jeffrey Deaver, James Patterson, Ridley Pearson etc etc...

avid_reader

Hi Bear,

Urban fantasy is simply fantasy set in modern world settings. Charles de Lint's books touched a lot on poverty, social problems etc but with a lot of magic (mentioned on faeries etc). I'm not sure how to explain it but if you want to check out his books, a good book to start with is "Dreams Underfoot" -- a collection of short stories. From what I know, his books are only available at Borders and I borrow most of his books from our libraries. You may want to read an excerpt here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0765306794/ref=sib_dp_pop_ex/002-9451408-2552007?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S00I#reader-link

och

hi,

can i join in? i just finished the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime. it's an interesting read, although it starts rather slowly. before that, i was reading the #1 ladies detective series, which i found quite enjoyable. the series isn't so much a mystery novel but a study of african culture n values.

i'm reading chronicles of narnia right now. finished the lion, the witch and the wardrobe. now moving on to prince caspian.

och

hi avid, thanks for welcome.
happy.gif
i got the thick hardcover book from amazon. it's cheaper than the boxed set, but the disadvantage is that the books were printed in chronological order instead of the order in which they were published.

binbin

helo helo!....
happy.gif
avid reader, oh i din know the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime is on the To Read list....no wonder when i borrowed the book the librarian said someone else was looking for it. the secret garden is abt a bery unlikely friendship between a girl and a sickly boy, and about how the secrets and beauty of their secret garden transforms the both of them. its lovely and the kind that sends a tingling touch to your body....
happy.gif
hey ur description of charles de lint's books sounds interesting...i may go check it out... i love books with a bit of magic.
happy.gif

I read Little Prince too., i have a good friend who loves that book and kept readin it. i have no chance to read it a 2nd time...but i know its something special that gives u a good warm feeling everytime....i shall try it again.....perhaps shld buy it down...

bear! i used to read A LOT of dragon lance in the u days. very very nice, i love it..... and i like james patterson books too.....
happy.gif

och, how do u find the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime? i just finished it. find it interesting...and insightful. sometimes sad.....i feel for the little boy and his father....the dad is one patient man. the when the boy makes that particular sound when ppl touch him, my heart goes out to him. its a really a pity...that god make such a smart boy devoid of any human emotions.... but then.....i dunno why but i dun find the book the kind that i wld love to keep for my own. in the critics it said u wun want to lend ur copy out....but i dun feel that way for the book leh. after i finish, dun have the lingering feeling i have with HP books....

binbin

helo avid reader, i just went to read the excerpt, its intriguing! i am definitely going to get Dreams Underfoot... only in borders or library yar?
happy.gif

man_tou_bear

Hey Bin Bin! Same D&D fans.. love that range of books.. i bought everything related to the Companions including the one on the latest war. heehee... the one with the younger generation.. though i have to say the best is still the original 9 characters, Tanis, Sturm, Cameron, and my all time fav Raistlin.

Anyway i just finish Janelle Taylor's Dying to Marry last evening... It is a crime novel plus soap opera.. a bit trashy but nonetheless entertaining. Finished it in 4 hrs. Actually laugh at the simplicity of the plot (if there is one). I guess the perp a quarter into the story... won't recommend u all to read...

och

hi binbin,

u speak my mind! there r some books that i want to keep n read over n over again, but the curious incident of the dog in the night time doesn't fall into that category. it's an interesting read, it's enlightening n it's also a really sad story. the book feels to me almost like its lead character, it's breaking new grounds because it's smart in many ways, it's easy to appreciate intellectually but so difficult to love.

avid_reader

Hi Och, interesting the way you describe the book "curious incident of the dog in the nighttime". Easy to appreciate intellectually but difficult to love?
happy.gif
Now I AM curious.. must find a chance to read that.

Hi Sue welcome to the bookclub! I've finished reading "Veronika decides to die" by Paulo Coelho. It started off about a suicide but it's very much about living. Makes you look at mental insitutions in a new light. One thing I like about his books.. they are all very slim and fit nicely in my handbag! Yet to read "The Devil & Miss Prym". Wait for me, i'll go get a copy to read and let's talk about the ending that has been bugging you ok?
happy.gif

Hi Binbin, I used to have a copy of Dreams Underfoot.. which I bought from Borders. Lent it to someone (whom I cannot remember who) and never got it back!
sad.gif
I did a check on NLB.. apparently it's not available for loan yet. Strange 'cos it's not a new book. I have seen it at the national library before. The 2nd Charles de Lint book to read is another short stories series, The Ivory & the Horn (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0812534085/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-9451408-2552007#readerpage). I have bought all in all 3 copies of The Little Prince. I didn't manage to get back the 1st 2 copies after lending to a friend and a cousin. Am guarding my 3rd copy now..
happy.gif

avid_reader

Hi Sue I finished reading The Devil & Miss Prym last night and I couldn't sleep after that!! Maybe I read too quickly (at one sitting) but it's kind of confusing towards the end as to what the Stranger really want isn't it? You like the ending?

marble

Hi,

I read "curious incident" too and quite like it. It's a very refreshing read. Its interesting to see things from an angle you don't normally see from.

I read Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood lately. ...hmm..how to put it..Murakami has a unique style which while you're absorbed in the story, you feel the characters tugging a cord in your heartstrings..but once you finish the book and reflect the story, it's really quite shallow. Nevertheless, his style is unique and unmatched. Murakami has this special ability to make me melancholic...strange but true.

levynn

hi pple...
can i join in too?? i like romance, thrillers, n used to read comics too. fav authors... jeffery deaver, james patterson, nora roberts, j.d. robb. i think jeffery deaver has a new book... the twelfth card or sth like that...

gooobergrape

I just finished Jeff Archer's Kane and Abel. Super nice to read. If you are looking for a good weekend book. It's quite thick but you will find it hard to put down.

Two individuals. Born on the same date. Different lives yet inter-twined. Hm... a must read recommendation.

sakurasan

Hi everyone

Can I join this thread too? I love to read - it's my escape to another world.

I read thrillers, romance, mystery and any other interesting stuff that I see in the bookshop. I am currently reading Mr China - has anyone read that? It's abt a non-fiction about a Caucasian investing in China in the early 1990s. It's very very funny and provides a good insight into doing business in China.

Goobergrape, Kane and Abel is one of my fave!
happy.gif
Have you read the sequel, The Prodigal Daughter?
happy.gif

avid_reader

Welcome Marble, Levynn, Goobergrape & Sakurasan!

Hi Sue, I don't like the ending too.. Chantel does not deserve it. Yeah we shouldn't reveal too much here in case there are people wanting to read the book. The message I got from the book --> there are people gaining on the pretext of trying to do "good"..

Sakurasan, yes The Alchemist is a good read. Supposedly the best among all Paulo Coelho's books. I've heard of Mr China but have not read it. Who's the author?

Am now reading Demons & Angels by Dan Brown. Just happened that my hubby bought the book so I just read it. Hmm.. have read The Da Vinci Code but I think it's ok only. Not exactly a Dan Brown fan but it would be interesting to watch it when the movie's out.

sakurasan

Avid_reader

I am so happy for this thread becoz it'll be a good "database" for new books to read!
happy.gif

Mr China is written by Tim Clissold - he was part of the US investment team who went into China in the early 1990s. So it's his first-hand experience!
happy.gif

I'll put The Alchemist on my to-buy list.
happy.gif

I've read Da Vinci and Demons & Angels. They are highly entertaining albeit a little unbelievable at many junctures in the book. I didn't read Dan Brown' other two books though.

Have you read Haruki Murakami? I quite like him..it took me a while to get used to his writing style and plots. So surreal.

man_tou_bear

Hi!

Avid reader i read both books and i think Dan Brown is into sensational writing.. ie ending all the chapters in a perpetual cliff hanger stage. Fun books to read, but i think he isn't a really gd writer.

binbin

hi goober grape and sakurasan, i read both kane and abel and the prodigal daughter. both are fantastic and i simply love how it intrigues u into reading through meals. i love jeffrey archer, his plot has a unique identity and is always original, and he puts in a lot of effort into researching the things he write about.

avid_reader

Sakurasan, thanks! Have checked the NLB website. Great can get the book Mr China from our libraries
happy.gif
I've not read any of Haruki Murakami's books but "surreal" sounds good. Which book is good to start with?

Bear, I agree that he's not that good a writer. The fun part to read are the museums, the history etc -- though majority are fiction. But I feel that his books will make good movies.

Hello Binbin!
happy.gif
Hey 3 more weeks to go! So what are you currently reading?

sakurasan

hi avid_reader

I started with the Wind-up Bird Chronicle (Wind-up Bird Chronicle)and Dance Dance Dance (Dance Dance Dance). Reading a few more of his books now. His books are really "weird-weird" but yup, I wld use surreal to describe them.

I'm reading so many books at one go. Also reading Mr China and The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night! My husband cannot understand how anyone can read as many as 5 books at one time!

sakurasan

Hi Bear

Dan Brown's books are great for a long-haul flight or when you really need something fast-moving to kill time. I think he's quite creative and I enjoy the historical-fiction bit. But his writing is kinda jerky.

Anyone here into trashy romance-cum-mystery stuff like Nora Roberts, Amanda Quick and Mary Higgins Clark? I lurrve such books too....anyone got good recommendations, pls let me know! I'm gng thru a trashy romance-cum-mystery drought now!!

levynn

i've read "angels & demons" & "the da vinci code"... i much prefer the former. coz for "da vinci code"... can more or less guess the ending too early, which is sth i dun like in a book.

i read "the china man" by stephen leather recently. actually i didn't know abt leather until i read an article abt him in the papers... then it mentioned this book n i went to the bookshop n got it on impulse. it was a well-taken "risk"... haha. leather uses rather simple words n sentences... but somehow he still managed to invoke all kinds of emotions, n makes me see almost everything in my mind. can't help but feel very sad for the china man.

anybody read his other books??

levynn

hello sakurasan...

i'm one trashy romance-cum-mystery stuff lover...
kao_smile.gif
. i started wif all romance novels by julie garwood, judith macnaught, etc. until i read "when the wind blows" by james patterson... then i started to read thrillers, mysteries, as well.

but now, depending on my mood.. will read a romance novel once in a while. but i'm a nora roberts fan!!
happy.gif
i've read almost all her books (except for some earlier ones coz they have more or less the same story lines).

have u read the "in death" series by j.d. robbs? (nora roberts using another pen name) i personally like that series very much. it's your romance-cum-mystery story line. as it's a series, the main characters develop as each book progresses. so if u wan to know how each one started off wif the other, have to start from the very 1st book, "naked in death". the latest one is "survivor in death".

i'm actually in the same boat as u now... a girl needs her dose of romance once in a while...
294433.gif

man_tou_bear

Hello! heehee.. I prefer imagination provoking books. When i was younger I was a huge Ann Rice fan. Read almost everything. The concept of vampires roaming the earth not being truely evil was a novel one from the typical storyline of Mr Bram Stroker. And the tales of Lestat really regaled me. I couldn't sleep for a couple of nites aft finishing each of the vampire chronicles. She has a way that makes her characters alive, if u know what i mean. Sadly i lost interest in the horror cum goth books. but last yr i picked up her new book and was riveted again.

I read J.D. Robbs. heehee... sorry ah, i don't really like her style. Have u guys read Jeffrey Deaver ie the Bone COllector fame? I love the main character Mr Lincoln Rhyme. Eccentric! If u like CSI, u will like this book even more.

levynn

i love jeffrey deaver's books too... esp his lincoln rhyme novels. got nearly all rhyme's books at home. i think he got another new one, "the twelfth card", or sth. anybody seen it?? i only saw it once at an MPH, then not anymore at any other bookshops.

btw, i love CSI too!!
kao_biggrin.gif

och

i agree that dan brown isn't a good writer. i read da vinci code first n i remembered being really bored with angels n demons. dun think i'm going to read his other books.

i like jeffrey archer very much too. my favourite is not a penny more not a penny less.

i've stopped reading chronicles of narnia to read crow lake by mary lawson. it's a very poignant story about the lives 4 siblings who were made orphans by their parents' sudden death. the story is set in rural canada n told through the voice of kate morrison, the 3rd child. it's not a sensational story, so there r no big fights or melodramas. the characters r usually subdued, so much so that i find them quite realistic.

man_tou_bear

Hey levynn, thanks for the webbies.. Lincoln Rhyme has a new book? Can't wait to get my hands on it. Have u tried Kathy Reich? not too bad. another Patricia Cornwell in the making. Also medical examiner type of book. Sandra Brown also gd...

Anybody can recommend me a new crime author? kinda dry, no books to read...

bit_bit

Any Sidney Sheldon's fans here??
kao_smile.gif

Hihi Sakurasan & Levynn!
Long time no tok!! how ve both of u been??
happy.gif

I recommend Lori Foster's "Say No To Joe" and her latest works "Jamie"... romance cum bit of thriller/mystery
294600.gif

Sandra Brown's recent works mainly focus on crime/thriller w a hint of romance.... worth reading
happy.gif

Jodi Thomas 'major' in romance, but her Mainstream contemporary fiction works like "The Widows of Wichita County" and "Finding Mary Blaine" is pretty worth reading too
happy.gif

matsu

I can say that i have finished all sidney sheldon's books except mayb the latest since i have not got the chance to get hold of it yet. Love his work since my schooling days, got me into thriller/mystery.

Then later, was intro into julie garwood, judith macnaught & sandra brown & have finished most of their books too.

This is a gd place 4 me to start a new author

bit_bit

Hi Matsu,

We r pretty similar in this area, oso started w Sidney Sheldon's works during my secondary school days... i've gotten hold of his latest work "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?", will start reading soon...
happy.gif

For romance, can try Carly Phillips and Erin McCarthy... there are some good recommendation on romance authors in this thread

sakurasan

binbin Have you finished reading A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night? I'm halfway thru it, I think - at the part where Christopher runs away. I like this book alot becoz it's so refreshing and different and the language is juz so conversational.
happy.gif
I feel that the author has really provided a good insight into the mind of an autistic child.

levynn

hello bit bit...
everything's fine!
happy.gif
juz didn't feel like working after coming back fr holidays!! hahaha...

well... i read only a few of sandra brown's books. didn't really like the way some of it is written. will try again.
happy.gif
so, wat's her latest book??

some more recommendations for romance...
- barbara freethy (hers r more like "lost love rekindles" kind)

- catherine anderson (i personally like her books very much... even cried a bit over some of her stories)
>> "annie's song"(abt a deaf girl), "only by your touch", "phantom waltz" (abt a half-paralysed girl), "sweet nothings", "seventh heaven"

- mary balogh (her romance novels r all quite highly rated, but i have read only a few as her books r quite difficult to find)
>> "silent melody", "thief or dreams", "truly"

i'm going to start on her "slightly" series soon.

girlfriend

hi ladies, can i join in the topic?

I used to go for die hard medieval, high society ladies & gentlemen romantic novels by judith mcnaught, jude deveraux, joanna lindsay etc..

Now i go for modern romance and self-help books. Sometimes will go back to those old romance too.

Just finished Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella the author of The Confession of the Shopholic. Don't find it as good as her previous books!

man_tou_bear

Sophie Kinsella! her books are very light.. can finish in a half day sitting. I find them very amusing cos her character always have a happy ending!! but its a gd book to cheer u up.

Another gd chick flick author, Chris Manby. very cute... Love her books very much...

avid_reader

Sakurasan, thanks for recommendation. May just go pick up Haruki Murakami's books to read. Read the excerpts & think it's quite interesting. Anyway I'm already losing interest in Angels & Demons.. wonder if I'll con't reading it.

Bear, Sophie Kinsella's books are ideal for bringing along on holidays. So are books by Marian Keyes.

I guess all of us go through different types of books at different phases of our life.
happy.gif
Mystery, romance, etc. At one stage, I was reading all the "China" books.. Jung Chang's Wild Swans, all those books by Amy Tan and Adeline Yen Mah
happy.gif

There's one book (other than the upcoming Harry Potter) that I wish to read (if it's going to be published) --> LOST. Sick & tired of waiting every week for Thursdays to come in order to watch the suspense filled drama on tv!

alhana

Hi Bear and avid

Nice to see fellow fantasy fans here. I started reading fantasy when my hubby introduced Dragonlance to me. Heh..you should recognise my forum nick. Chronicles and the Legends trilogy were the best in the series. Yeah, am a Raistlin fan too...although I feel bad for Caramon sometimes. The latest trilogy was quite crappy though...sad to see how the story has degenerated.

A really REALLY good fantasy series we're following now is George R R Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. The first 3 books, "A Game of Thrones", "Clash of Kings" and "A Storm of Swords" is some of the best writing I've ever had the pleasure to read. His characters are rich and complex, his battle scenes vivid and gory, alot of intrigue and politiking..I cannot put his books down once I've started. It made Dragonlance look like child's play
happy.gif
I'm really looking fwd to the 4th book that's coming out this Nov. There should be 7 books to the entire series.

Have also read The Da Vinci Code. Honestly..it was pretty bad writing. His prose was childish, it was overly dramatic, and highly unbelievable. And don't get me started on the ending :p Meh..can't believe it's been on top of the Best Sellers List for so long.

Other good books I'd like to recommend : Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian series-the Warlord Chronicles (wow, wish the movie King Arthur was based on these books..it wld've made the movie much more watchable), Robin Hobb's (also fantasy) Madship series, Tawny Man trilogy and Farseer trilogy. All these books have strong characterisations and plotlines, something I value when reading a book. If the book doesn't make me feel for the characters, I don't much care for it.

For humour, the Bridget Jones books are a hoot.

As for children's books, there's Harry Potter (altho I've not enjoyed them as much since Azkaban), and Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' series. Hmm..what IS with me and series :p

man_tou_bear

Yups Alhana i recognised ur nick.. heehee.. Ice maiden er? I saw a gal named Kitara here too but she doesn't read the D&D books.

Will check out George R R Martin. Is he a new writer? heehee.. u can try Raymond E. Fiest. Very gd fantasy writer too.

alhana

Hi Bear

Yeah..heh..ice maiden..that's me! Did you read the last Dragonlance trilogy? It had Alhana's son in it..boy was he irritating!

GRRM is not a new writer. He writes mainly fantasy and sci-fi. In fact, some of the 'Twilight Zone' and 'The Outer Limits' tv eps were written by him..as well as some eps in the TV series 'Beauty and the Beast' starring Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman (Hellboy!) His 'Ice n Fire' series is very well acclaimed...check it out on Amazon. Lotsa reviews there.

I've not tried Raymond E Feist yet. I still have some books pending on my shelf :p Oh, do you read David Gemmel's stuff? My hubby also loves his stuff.

avid_reader

Hi alhana, I think the closest I got to reading fantasy books is LOTR? Does that count? hehee.. I was explaining to Bear that I'm into urban fantasy, in particular, ALL books by a Canadian writer, Charles de Lint. Like how you described it, I cannot put down his books once I started reading. You may want to check out his books on amazon or visit his website at www.charlesdelint.com

binbin

helo sakurasan! yes i have read a Matter of Honour, and Not a Penny more Not a Penny Less. I love both! but prefered the 2nd one, its really creative and exciting how the 4 managed to get back every cent they were owed, and through hilarious means sometimes. my favourite was the fake painting, so many things could go wrong!!! and the ending! i sorta suspected it, but it still has an unexpected twist which was so like his style.
happy.gif
he caught my attention with his collection of short stories "A Twist in the Tale".

yes i finished the Curious Incident. you are right its refreshing and the 1st person narrative make you feel like you are reading through his eyes, coz its like his diary. Mark Haddon used to work with autistic children, thats why he has an indepth understanding of how they are like. fantastic portrayal isn't it?

Avid reader, me not reading anything now. but I have an unread book Far from the Madding Crowd in my drawer, not sure whether to start. Hey the ppl here are really avid readers!!! so many books! i really wana go and check out your charles de lint books soon..... no time now...
sad.gif

Hey I like watching LOST! its fantastic isn't it? We thought of downloading the whole series to complete it hahahah! but if the book comes out, it wun be as nice I suppose? Usually movies that based on books are inferior to the books e.g. Harry Potter. but books that are based on movies are not as good as the show?

One author's books that I have faithfully completed is Stephen King. Love his style, and how he can weave stories and plots that are so unique, and his words could keep me intrigued through just one single plot or scene. Like his sense of horror, not purely demons and monsters, but evils that lingers on your mind long after you read them...... i have read EVERY one of his novels and short stories, even the web-based one Riding the Bullet. only one i have not read is the non-fiction of his autobiography.."In Writing"

hey ppl, there's this detective series by this author, i forgot the name, i think patricia cornwell or something....thnk i spelt the surname wrong. i find her lead character, which is one black detective, quite boring. the whole story will be about him trying to find clues and piecing the whole puzzle together, and a lot about his thoughts and stuff. but at the end of the day, it isn't him who solve the mystery, but always something that happened that just pieces everything together. i din sense any pure stroke of genius on his part to crack the case....and it seems the same for the 2-3 books i read by her, of the same lead character. anyone feel the same?

avid_reader

oh, just to add. Angels & Demons is really not my kind of book. I only managed a page or two and then dozed off early. Well at least I slept early last nite! I need a new book!